gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:42:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should the Beach Boys play the Trump inauguration?
Yes - 25 (24%)
No - 79 (76%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should the Beach Boys play the Trump inauguration?  (Read 32956 times)
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2016, 12:03:28 PM »

No one can make a person emotional that's their choice.

That's completely false. We are biologically emotional beings - we don't get to choose whether or not we are emotional.
yes we are emotional beings  but we can control how we react to people places and things,,,,, we don't have to project our emotions we can just keep them to ourselves if we choose,,,,

That's different from saying that "No one can make a person emotional." Here you are saying that "No one can make a person express their emotions." Completely different.
no one can hurt you unless you let them (unless you are a child or someone else who is helpless).. no one can offend you unless you choose to be offended because of a world view,these are just concepts we create as a society ...but that's a whole other thing that will have us go back to thousands of years of teachings of various spiritually enlightened teachers and psychologist....

To be honest, I think this is mostly a fashionable point of view that is circulating on the internet right now. People who like railing against the so-called PC culture bring this up a lot. But like most things that circulate on the internet, there is absolutely no evidence to support it.
Read the writings of the Buddha,,this is where I read it not the internet,,,, yes it has been experimented by thousands of monks and spiritual teachers for the bast 2,000 years and it works,,,,so there IS evidence to support it,,
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2016, 12:06:42 PM »

I'm done talking about it, yes I mean how people react to things and wrote it the wrong way,,,,, now back to topic If people don't want the Beach Boys to play for trump then fine don't watch it..if you do then great, watch it.....it shouldn't be a big deal either way....
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2016, 12:09:45 PM »

Read the writings of the Buddha,,this is where I read it not the internet,,,, yes it has been experimented by thousands of monks and spiritual teachers for the bast 2,000 years and it works,,,,so there IS evidence to support it,,

Sorry. The monks and spiritual teachers are experimenting with what, exactly?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2016, 12:11:47 PM »

Meditation and experience...
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2016, 12:14:20 PM »

But what does that have to do with your point that no one can hurt you unless you let them, and that no one can offend you unless you choose to be offended?
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2016, 12:16:04 PM »

if they claim they can shut off emotions then who am I to argue with thousands of monks and spiritual teachers who have claimed these things for thousands of years,,,just because we haven't experienced it doesn't mean they didn't...but now I want to stop talking about this,,it's an interesting (fascinating) subject I suggest reading up on it..
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 04, 2016, 12:17:31 PM »

But what does that have to do with your point that no one can hurt you unless you let them, and that no one can offend you unless you choose to be offended?

Because they made it so for themselves ,,they shut off their emotions and didn't allow people to hurt them or offend them,,,,it's called Equanimity,,,okay now I'm done talking about it....read up on it,,,it is really cool stuff... let's go back to the subject..
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:19:17 PM by joshferrell » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 04, 2016, 12:24:21 PM »

Because they made it so for themselves ,,they shut off their emotions and didn't allow people to hurt them or offend them,,,,it's called Equanimity,,,okay now I'm done talking about it....read up on it,,,it is really cool stuff... let's go back to the subject..

OK. I probably won't not because I'm uninterested but because I have a really, really long reading list and, on top of that, reading is my job. Furthermore, what you are describing sounds like so much work that it sounds like being hurt and offended is an incredibly natural human characteristic. Maybe we can work really hard to overcome it but it certainly doesn't follow that we choose our emotions. I also find "offended" to be a subjective term. These days, I see more people being offended by so-called PC behaviour than just about anything else.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:25:36 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 04, 2016, 12:45:33 PM »

OK. I probably won't not because I'm uninterested but because I have a really, really long reading list and, on top of that, reading is my job. Furthermore, what you are describing sounds like so much work that it sounds like being hurt and offended is an incredibly natural human characteristic. Maybe we can work really hard to overcome it but it certainly doesn't follow that we choose our emotions. I also find "offended" to be a subjective term. These days, I see more people being offended by so-called PC behaviour than just about anything else.
That's cool that reading is your job..I love to read and would LOVE  a job that involved reading...lol...but yeah I see what you are saying....
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2016, 04:40:41 AM »

They might well be asked, seeing as the inauguration won't have many more current options:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38298215?client=safari
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2016, 09:31:23 AM »

Perhaps Kanye.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2016, 10:03:01 AM »

Perhaps Kanye.

Yep. It would be a mentally ill narcissist (literally *just* released from a mental facility, in fact) showing solidarity with someone just like him, another mentally ill narcissist. I hope Kanye plays it so that he finally sinks his career once and for all.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 10:04:20 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2016, 11:21:29 AM »

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38298215

So the beeb makes a point that basically nobody wants to do it, even if offered money to do so. Trump's inauguration entertainment will be a couple of forgettable B-acts most likely. Mall might be awkwardly sparse in terms of turnout for the inauguration as well.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 22, 2016, 12:31:27 AM »

http://pagesix.com/2016/12/22/beach-boys-could-perform-at-trumps-inauguration/

Beach Boys could perform at Trump’s inauguration

Do the Beach Boys have bigger balls than Garth Brooks and Andrea Bocelli?

The icons of California surf rock have been asked to bring some good vibrations to Donald Trump’s inauguration — and they’ve yet to decline.

“They have not made a decision,” said a source close to the band, which is currently headed by original member Mike Love and operating sans co-founder Brian Wilson."........

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 12:33:27 AM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 22, 2016, 06:42:16 AM »

Consider the source of that speculation -- it's the New York Post. In any case, Mike and Bruce already have a gig in North Carolina on the 20th.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2016, 06:53:37 AM »

Consider the source of that speculation -- it's the New York Post. In any case, Mike and Bruce already have a gig in North Carolina on the 20th.

If they got the invite and agreed to play, you don't think they'd postpone or cancel the NC gig to play the DC ball?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »

If they got the invite and agreed to play, you don't think they'd postpone or cancel the NC gig to play the DC ball?

What a giant shock that they are playing a pro-Trump state on inauguration day. They can be surrounded by a bunch of people who can give each other high-fives and tear up with joy.  It occurs to me that if they actually wind up not performing for the inauguration (perhaps due to behind the scenes blocking by BRI), Mike can now just use the lame face-saving "sorry but I have a gig booked that day" excuse that he always uses, such as at the Hawthorne monument dedication in 2005 (because of course, being on tour playing parking lots in bowling alleys was more important).
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:11:44 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2016, 09:15:20 AM »

What a giant shock that they are playing a pro-Trump state on inauguration day. They can be surrounded by a bunch of people who can give each other high-fives and tear up with joy.  It occurs to me that if they actually wind up not performing for the inauguration (perhaps due to behind the scenes blocking by BRI), Mike can now just use the lame face-saving "sorry but I have a gig booked that day" excuse that he always uses, such as at the Hawthorne monument dedication in 2005 (because of course, being on tour playing parking lots in bowling alleys was more important).

Was it ever revealed what the actual excuse was for Mike and Bruce not attending the end of C50 dinner hosted by the Wilsons in the UK for the band and crew? "Other commitments" ?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 22, 2016, 01:35:30 PM »

i voted yes and i am still going to see them in june 2017 !
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »

Just a "wild" guess that you aren't an LGBT person, woman, or a person of color.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »

https://www.thebeachboys.com/tour

Not according to their tour page. Jan 22 only.
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2016, 07:06:49 PM »

Just a "wild" guess that you aren't an LGBT person, woman, or a person of color.

Stop beating around the bush & just call him a deplorable !

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 22, 2016, 07:14:02 PM »

... In any case, Mike and Bruce already have a gig in North Carolina on the 20th.

Tickets never went on sale for that concert, and it was subsequently cancelled.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2016, 03:51:26 AM »

nope i am a proud Dutchie and a big BB fan. I dont let politics intervere. It says more about you..........get a life i would sugest and if you cant handle other people's opinion than thats your problem....see ya !
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 23, 2016, 04:03:08 AM »

That's right. He said he was Dutch before. Didn't you read it?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx