gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:32:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Should the Beach Boys play the Trump inauguration?
Yes - 25 (24%)
No - 79 (76%)
Total Voters: 98

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should the Beach Boys play the Trump inauguration?  (Read 32767 times)
MonsterMash
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2016, 03:30:14 PM »

I actually feel that this is a legitimate question we know Trump likes the Beach Boys and the Beach Boys have played for him before at a private party. Everyone knows Mike and Bruce definitely lean Republican and would be more than happy to play if asked but would the other BRI members be so willing to let them do so given Trump's recent behavior? On the one hand playing at the presidential  inauguration would be a huge honor which would also gain them a lot of exposure if they were asked to do so. However given that Donald Trump is already likely the most divisive president in American history, should they risk alienating a very large existing set of fans and potential new fans by doing so? I know they've previously played for Reagan but this is a different kettle of fish in which I could see the other BRI members potentially vetoing playing the inauguration. Would they be likely to and do they have the power to do so by potentially threatening to withhold naming rights if they went ahead with playing the inauguration? Maybe I'm being naive but I don't want this to turn into a Pro Trump or Trump bashing thread I just want to know what people think makes the most business sense to do if they were asked to play.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 03:31:39 PM »

I actually feel that this is a legitimate question we know Trump likes the Beach Boys and the Beach Boys have played for him before at a private party. Everyone knows Mike and Bruce definitely lean Republican and would be more than happy to play if asked but would the other BRI members be so willing to let them do so given Trump's recent behavior? On the one hand playing at the presidential  inauguration would be a huge honor which would also gain them a lot of exposure if they were asked to do so. However given that Donald Trump is already likely the most divisive president in American history, should they risk alienating a very large existing set of fans and potential new fans by doing so? I know they've previously played for Reagan but this is a different kettle of fish in which I could see the other BRI members potentially vetoing playing the inauguration. Would they be likely to and do they have the power to do so by potentially threatening to withhold naming rights if they went ahead with playing the inauguration? Maybe I'm being naive but I don't want this to turn into a Pro Trump or Trump bashing thread I just want to know what people think makes the most business sense to do if they were asked to play.

No, no, no, no. And no.  They should never play that inauguration. I dearly hope that the other shareholders of the band do *everything* possible to stop it from happening if it were to be a possibility.   Frankly, I think they would indeed try to stop it from happening.

And even for BB fans who like the orange moron who was elected, it should be an agreed-upon notion ( regardless of what candidate/ party you like)  that this would bring harm to the brand name, and is a bad idea.  "Fair" or not, it's a fact.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:36:26 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
MonsterMash
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 03:43:19 PM »

I actually feel that this is a legitimate question we know Trump likes the Beach Boys and the Beach Boys have played for him before at a private party. Everyone knows Mike and Bruce definitely lean Republican and would be more than happy to play if asked but would the other BRI members be so willing to let them do so given Trump's recent behavior? On the one hand playing at the presidential  inauguration would be a huge honor which would also gain them a lot of exposure if they were asked to do so. However given that Donald Trump is already likely the most divisive president in American history, should they risk alienating a very large existing set of fans and potential new fans by doing so? I know they've previously played for Reagan but this is a different kettle of fish in which I could see the other BRI members potentially vetoing playing the inauguration. Would they be likely to and do they have the power to do so by potentially threatening to withhold naming rights if they went ahead with playing the inauguration? Maybe I'm being naive but I don't want this to turn into a Pro Trump or Trump bashing thread I just want to know what people think makes the most business sense to do if they were asked to play.

No, no, no, no. And no.  They should never play that inauguration. I dearly hope that the other shareholders of the band do *everything* possible to stop it from happening if it were to be a possibility.   Frankly, I think they would indeed try to stop it from happening.

And even for BB fans who like the orange moron who was elected, it should be an agreed-upon notion ( regardless of what candidate/ party you like)  that this would bring harm to the brand name, and is a bad idea.  "Fair" or not, it's a fact.

I agree but lets try and avoid insulting people's voting choices we don't want the thread locked. To play devil's advocate what I would say is that the majority of Beach Boys fans are the elder white population the majority of which did vote for Trump so there is a business argument that playing would help them generate more sales than they'd lose from a younger generation.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:45:51 PM by MonsterMash » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 03:47:04 PM »

And even for BB fans who like the orange moron who was elected, it should be an agreed-upon notion ( regardless of what candidate/ party you like)  that this would bring harm to the brand name, and is a bad idea.  "Fair" or not, it's a fact.

I agree but lets try and avoid insulting people's voting choices we don't want the thread locked. To play devil's advocate what I would say is that the majority of Beach Boys fans are the elder white population who did vote for Trump so there is a business argument that playing would help them generate more sales than they'd lose from a younger generation.

Maybe the majority of people who attend Mike and Bruce shows are. I wouldn't say that the vast majority of young people and hipsters who are geeks of the recordings would fit that demographic. There are MANY people who would be deeply, deeply, deeply put off.  

It's really not worth it for the brand name to be anything but apolitical on this. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 03:50:57 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 05:55:23 PM »

I agree but lets try and avoid insulting people's voting choices we don't want the thread locked. To play devil's advocate what I would say is that the majority of Beach Boys fans are the elder white population who did vote for Trump so there is a business argument that playing would help them generate more sales than they'd lose from a younger generation.

Maybe the majority of people who attend Mike and Bruce shows are. I wouldn't say that the vast majority of young people and hipsters who are geeks of the recordings would fit that demographic. There are MANY people who would be deeply, deeply, deeply put off.  

It's really not worth it for the brand name to be anything but apolitical on this.  

Yes.  I'm old, white - I don't go to M&B shows - and I would still be horrified if they had anything to do with Trump.  But that's just me, and as I said, I don't attend their shows, anyway - no big loss to them.  I think it's up to BRI if the offer even happens.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:57:40 PM by Debbie KL » Logged
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 06:55:26 PM »

LOL   What a blinkin' joke.   LOL

It'll never happen. " Donald Trump Brings in Half/Baked Leftovers to Headline Inauguration Gala."

I can see it now.  Lets make America GREAT again by turning the clocks back 50 years.  At least Brian's ol' pal Elton had the class and decency to say "Donald...Pray for wind and invest in a kite." Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 07:03:17 PM »

LOL   What a blinkin' joke.   LOL

It'll never happen. " Donald Trump Brings in Half/Baked Leftovers to Headline Inauguration Gala."

I can see it now.  Lets make America GREAT again by turning the clocks back 50 years.  At least Brian's ol' pal Elton had the class and decency to say "Donald...Pray for wind and invest in a kite." Wink

I sadly don't think it's impossible for this to actually happen. And we have to remember, Donald isn't going to be able to get a lot of top-tier people to agree to do this. I feel certain Mike would love with all his heart to perform at this show.  In my opinion, the only thing that would stop him from doing it is if people talk him into not doing it out of fear of negative press beyond anything he has ever experienced before, or if the other shareholders of the band name would somehow intervene.

Outside of those roadblocks, I could see him doing it in a heartbeat if asked. And I don't think it's far-fetched that he might get asked.  Trump is not going to be getting A- listers who are willing to do it. I just think Love will be blocked one way or another from actually doing it. Hopefully.

Here's a question… If Mike were to get asked, and somehow actually wind up playing it, can anyone see Stamos  joining in? I don't know anything about his own politics, but I think that regardless, he would not want to deal with potential fallout.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 07:05:48 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Kurosawa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 07:08:42 PM »

I find Trump disgusting but this does make sense for him and for Mike and Bruce. He is going to have few choices in musical acts for his...ugh, thing. Figure he'll get Nugent and maybe Alice Cooper, maybe someone like Toby Keith. Any young hipster fans wouldn't be caught dead at a M&B show, anyway. And the real Beach Boys did play at Reagan's inauguration, of course although I didn't agree with Reagan's politics, he himself was not a sickening pig of a human being and pure evil like Trump is.

I still hope they don't play for him. It would sully their good name and connect them to a highly polarizing figure, not to mention a person who was easily beaten and largely despised in their native California.

Member of the Anaheim Azusa and Cucamonga sewing circle book review and timing association (the double-ACASSN).
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 07:32:49 PM »

It would be a significant gamble in terms of the band's legacy. I don't think appearing at the convention did Chachi's reputation or career any favors. It's probably not a good idea.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 07:59:28 PM »

I would be thoroughly disappointed to see this happen, but not surprised. I also have a hard time believing that the backing band would join them as almost all of them are incredibly liberal, at least according to Facebook. I also don't see Brian and Alan approving of this.

I think the best solution (if this is even on the table!) for everyone, would be to have "Mike Love and Bruce Johnston of The Beach Boys" appear and sing with a set band hired for the event to back other artists.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 11:43:33 PM »

People might want to remember that there are likely some awfully, awfully popular American country music superstars that would probably jump at the opportunity to round out Trump's inauguration, and it would be fitting, given the general demographics that really swept him into office.

Good god, so many of us would have a deep existential crisis on our hands if the "Beach Boys" played Trump's inauguration.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2016, 01:28:14 AM »

Dear God, no. If they did I think I'd completely lose any and all respect for them.  But then again, this is the group that recorded a Charles Manson session.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2016, 01:35:42 AM »

Dear God, no. If they did I think I'd completely lose any and all respect for them.  But then again, this is the group that recorded a Charles Manson session.

+1

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2016, 05:15:13 AM »

I've always said, if they can survive Full House, they can survive anything.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 05:46:34 AM »

I've always said, if they can survive Full House, they can survive anything.

LOL

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
surf patrol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 05:56:07 AM »

https://www.google.com/search?q=trump+mike+love+rolling+rally&rlz=1CALOEI_enUS699US699&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=631&tbm=isch&imgil=uBoTus0gXhc5lM%253A%253B7OsIh_yJscuoLM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Ftwitter.com%25252Falways_trump%25252Fstatus%25252F737467360475418624&source=iu&pf=m&fir=uBoTus0gXhc5lM%253A%252C7OsIh_yJscuoLM%252C_&usg=__Kg-4VBjGr2g3EUr5NIkhDhwbKgQ%3D&ved=0ahUKEwig16j2yMbQAhUETCYKHYfKBYgQyjcILQ&ei=wJM5WKD3NoSYmQGHlZfACA#imgrc=uBoTus0gXhc5lM%3A

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN !! 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2016, 06:34:40 AM »

Good god, so many of us would have a deep existential crisis on our hands if the "Beach Boys" played Trump's inauguration.

Really? Then I think a lot of people here need professional help, or at least some relaxation with loved ones, with nature, with music. It really doesn't matter in the slightest whether this hypothetical show occurs. Just because I think he's by far the worst candidate ever elected, that has nothing to do with the sound of the band's music, even if some of the band almost certainly likes him. If something helps or hurts their reputation, that also has no effect on the sound of their music. They've been popular and unpopular dozens of times before. In the long run, this would be irrelevant. (Hell, in the short run, this would be irrelevant.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
surf patrol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 06:53:57 AM »

Who should we have elected... Crooked Hillary ?  Smokin
Worst President Ever = Jimmy Carter the peanut farmer !!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:42:30 AM by surf patrol » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 06:59:13 AM »

Who should we have elected... Crooked Hillary ?  Smokin
Worst President Ever = Jimmy Carter the peanut farmer !!

Yes--nice to see you remembered the Donald's catch phrases, though! If nothing else, he makes up childish names people could recall...perfect president for 4th graders--and not even close, respectively. (See: Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, and even Richard Nixon) But you're working on moving this to the Sandbox with stuff like that.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

surf patrol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 07:35:15 AM »

Add Bill Clinton to Worst President List
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 04:06:34 AM by surf patrol » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 07:37:34 AM »

LOL. Now you're living up to my expectations.

I didn't vote in this poll? That's because I don't care. There wasn't a choice for "I don't care."

surf patrol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2016, 07:41:30 AM »

Ha Ha Ha - Obvious Your Don't Care !!  Bye Bye !
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2016, 07:45:38 AM »

Bye bye? Are you leaving? That's sad. I'm going to miss you. We were having such a nice chat, it's sad to see it end. I was going to explain that there's a difference between not caring whether the Beach Boys performed a gig (which is obviously what my statement of not caring referred to) and not caring about the topic in general to the point of commenting (which obviously, by my commenting, wasn't the case). I was also going to ask your opinions on potential Sec. of Education nominee Betsy DeVos because I can tell that, like me, you care deeply about literacy in America. Maybe you will reconsider leaving.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »

Who should we have elected... Crooked Hillary ?  Smokin

Yes. Because even though she was not a good candidate, she was a much better one than Trump.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2016, 08:54:35 AM »

In the long run, this would be irrelevant. (Hell, in the short run, this would be irrelevant.)

You're probably right, but there are some scenarios in which it's not irrelevant. In the short run, it could just not really be remarked upon significantly, but there's potential for a lot of press and a garnering of both new fans and some energized detractors. In the long run it would most likely be irrelevant. If Trump's presidency is considered in the range of normal (from successful to really quite bad but not freakishly so) who played at his inauguration would not really be remembered. But if his presidency turns out to be regarded as freakishly bad, historically bad, and the interpretation of the badness is that Trump himself was a singularly destructive leader and the BBs got significant press for playing at his inauguration, it could be a long-term taint.
That latter is very unlikely, but given that there's really no particularly positive outcome and there is some small potential for a negative outcome, it seems to me that it wouldn't be wise.
One could argue that the same would apply to any inauguration, but I think the controversy surrounding this one will be greater than usual and the potential for a significantly bad presidency is a bit more than usual, so it's a worse bet than usual.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx