gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:07:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jeffrey Foskett and the future of the Beach Boys touring franchise  (Read 22011 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2016, 07:43:42 AM »

Thomas was not an original member of BST.

I don't care.  Mean's nothing whatsoever.  Al Kooper's version was what?  Not hitmakers.  David sang ALL of their hits.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 07:54:17 AM »

Yes, the Drifters had at least two major incarnations. The original, and the UK-based Drifters in the 1970s, who scored big with "Saturday Night at the Movies". The difference is that the second incarnation actually had chart hits of their own, making them more valid than being just a tribute band.

There were at least 3 authentic versions of the HIT-MAKING Drifters in the U.S. alone.  So the fact that there were a bunch of Drifters groups is actually valid.  Clyde McPhatter was the lead vocalist for the original incarnation.  Ben E. King and Johnny Moore also scored hits as the group's lead singer.  Heck...I almost forgot Rudy Lewis.  These guys were employees.  Ask for a raise?  You're toast.  Then came the move to England and more lineup changes.  So?  There were something like 6 versions of the Drifters who had a hand in the hit-making and the group's success.  As far as I'm concerned they ALL deserved to make a living performing the collective body of work.

Okay, you know more than I do here, but I would add that I consider the first Drifters groups one entity, with different lead vocalists. The UK-based, I think only one incarnation had hits in a major way, they have been reissued on the 7T's label.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2016, 08:14:10 AM »

Let's get down to brass tacks for a minute: The whole issue of rock bands and oldies acts touring under a specific band name is an issue of using a name to get better bookings and more money for those tickets and shows. My own opinion, even speaking as a musician with a very serious concern about musicians making a living playing music, is that I have little or no interest in paying to see rock bands with either zero or very little involvement from key members who made the original music special on stage performing a jukebox of hits and covers. Some people will pay for these shows because they really dig hearing live music, and that's fine. But I don't care to see any number of 60's or 70's hitmakers touring as "The (insert band name)" play cover versions with a lineup of anonymous musicians hired for the gigs, or something like the original bass player who didn't even sing or really do much beyond play bass live in the 60's carrying on a band name if the key members are either dead or not interested in touring with the band. It becomes a cover band or a tribute band at that point.

There are exceptions. I could be wrong, but I believe this licensing of a band name might go back to the Glenn Miller Orchestra in 1944 during WW2. Glenn himself was killed or lost in a transport plane flight during the war, some say it was and is still a mystery and others say a returning bomber squadron mistakenly unloaded their unused or misfired bomb loads without realizing Miller's transport plane was flying underneath them crossing the flight path. Anyway, Miller's plane never arrived and he was never found.

So the family, the "estate", decided along with the war dept to keep the name alive, for morale and considering Miller had assembled an all-star lineup of musicians to be in his USAAF Band to perform at various military bases and for radio broadcasts to the troops and those in the States.

After the war, the Miller Band continued because they were one of if not the most popular big bands. Everyone knew Miller wasn't there, but there was a stipulation that there would be one and only one "Glenn Miller Orchestra" playing the band's signature book of arrangements and tunes, with conditions of quality and presentation. And for as long as they did it, some of the original Miller band musicians and stars were part of those live shows, and they continued to be a big draw. There is still a Miller band, I believe, playing today and using the same licensed "book" of charts and working as the only authorized Miller band.

This prevented any rag-tag bunch of players or even hucksters in the promotions biz from sending their own Glenn Miller Orchestra on the road and charging double the booking fees for people who wouldn't know the difference. Other name bands followed suit, making sure the legacy of the music stayed in good hands and their original sound in the arrangements would be preserved.

But that's kind of a different scene, isn't it: Big Band, jazz, etc. That's where the Four Freshmen I think fit into that niche, where there was a band licensed to play the original arrangements so there wouldn't be imposters calling themselves the Freshmen to get better bookings and higher rates.

Rock changed all that. Bands themselves were self contained and had less rotation of members. There were specific key members who fans know and would expect at any live show billed as that band. If a key member couldn't do those shows, there were at least a majority of the other musicians who were the originals there on stage and making decisions. Look at Queen, Journey, etc...These bands were still the same players on stage but when the original lead singer was not there, a suitable replacement was found and agreed on by the band and estates, and the tours went ahead. Some fans reject that, but isn't that the best compromise if a 4-piece has three original members playing on stage?

The market decides. But a band whose legacy is that of The Beach Boys should *NOT* be in that category, ever. They're in the upper echelon. There were some rough times in the years since Carl's passing. Let's not prolong this beyond a reasonable "set end date" and have a situation where someone can bid on the naming rights in the future and tour as The Beach Boys. That to me would not be cool at all no matter how many people may for whatever reason buy tickets to something of that nature in the future.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2016, 08:46:31 AM »

While there's a lot to be said for that, to me the key word that discredits (ok that's a harsh word, but bear with me) your conclusion is "should." I just don't believe there is a "should" in any legal and ethical option, one of which would be a post-"real member" version of the band. If the business owners want to carry on with some sort of licensed version under the name, they can: no should or shouldn't involved. Some people will consider such a thing a slap in the face of history, probably; others will get a lot of joy from seeing such a band perform that great music. I can't see either set, or anyone falling in between, having the authority of "should" on their side.

Ultimately any decision will be judged by its results.

I'm personally not romantic about it. Most such acts, I mock heartily, and could well do just that to a post-Beach Boys Beach Boys. But who knows? You could make a great band even from current BW and BB band members that I'd absolutely pay to see. Real schmeal, authentic schmauthentic.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2016, 09:25:37 AM »

Let's get down to brass tacks for a minute:

The market decides. But a band whose legacy is that of The Beach Boys should *NOT* be in that category, ever.  They're in the upper echelon.

999,999,9999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999%
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:27:26 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2016, 01:28:04 PM »

No David Clayton Thomas?  [Who's still alive and recording new material...and still has that entirely distinctive voice]  That ain't B.S. and T's.  It's just B.S.

LOL The way you said that made me sh*t in laughter.

I mean, not literally but you know...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2016, 02:39:40 PM »

To be honest, I just don't like the idea of The Beach Boys name still being used when Brian Wilson's no longer with us. Regardless of whether or not he's in the band, there's something very disheartening about the group continuing without him in some shape or form.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2016, 05:49:49 AM »

To be honest, I just don't like the idea of The Beach Boys name still being used when Brian Wilson's no longer with us. Regardless of whether or not he's in the band, there's something very disheartening about the group continuing without him in some shape or form.

I agree. Some basic things should transcend profits, egos, and "the brand" with related protection thereof, and this is one of them.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2016, 08:29:16 AM »

+10

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2016, 12:11:14 PM »

I think that would apply if Mike wasn't with us either too.

If there was a group with no original members, then it needs to be named something like "Beach Boys Legacy" or some mess like that. The band name IMHO should be retired at that point.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CJS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2016, 12:55:36 PM »

Thomas was not an original member of BST.

I don't care.  Mean's nothing whatsoever.  Al Kooper's version was what?  Not hitmakers.  David sang ALL of their hits.

DCT left BS&T in 2004...moved home to Toronto and still makes solo albums.  BS&T is now fronted by Bo Bice who was on American Idol.... The BS&T name is owned by the original drummer Bobby Colomby.  He chooses the current musicians who make up the band.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2016, 08:11:31 AM »

Stamos will take over. He's been a Beach Boy for almost as long as Jeff, and more name recognition.
I am hoping this holographic technology really advances.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2016, 08:46:32 AM »

Stamos will take over. He's been a Beach Boy for almost as long as Jeff, and more name recognition.

If Stamos takes over, maybe Bob Saget and Dave Coulier can become official members too. And even Coulier's Woodchuck and Jackalope puppets could blaze a trail to become the first non-human official members of the band.  First order of business might be to get their buddy ALF to do a cameo guest vocal performance on Help Me, Rhonda.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:49:17 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2016, 08:54:14 AM »

Jesus, you are giving me and OSD heart-attacks! Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2016, 09:14:33 AM »

If Stamos takes over, maybe Bob Saget and Dave Coulier can become official members too. And even Coulier's Woodchuck and Jackalope puppets could blaze a trail to become the first non-human official members of the band.  First order of business might be to get their buddy ALF to do a cameo guest vocal performance on Help Me, Rhonda.

Why not just have the entire Tanner family (except the Olsons of course, who're too busy for Fuller House).
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »

If Stamos takes over, maybe Bob Saget and Dave Coulier can become official members too. And even Coulier's Woodchuck and Jackalope puppets could blaze a trail to become the first non-human official members of the band.  First order of business might be to get their buddy ALF to do a cameo guest vocal performance on Help Me, Rhonda.

Why not just have the entire Tanner family (except the Olsons of course, who're too busy for Fuller House).

Comet the Dog can add the barks to Caroline, No!

Speaking about having the entire Tanner family, we could also bring on the other Tanner family (The Tanners from ALF), while we're at it. Willie, the neighbor Mrs. Ockmoneck, etc...  Twice the Tanners = twice as nice.

And if Jeff Foskett doesn't stick around, Full (and Fuller) House creator Jeff Franklin might be an option. Another Jeff F.  

In keeping with the early 90s vibe, this new version of The BBs could focus on the song Problem Child, playing exclusively that one song over and over again in the set.

I'd actually go to this show, no joke!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 10:16:20 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2016, 10:24:22 AM »

If Stamos takes over, maybe Bob Saget and Dave Coulier can become official members too. And even Coulier's Woodchuck and Jackalope puppets could blaze a trail to become the first non-human official members of the band.  First order of business might be to get their buddy ALF to do a cameo guest vocal performance on Help Me, Rhonda.

Speaking about having the entire Tanner family, we could also bring on the other Tanner family (The Tanners from ALF), while we're at it. Willie, the neighbor Mrs. Ockmoneck, etc...  Twice the Tanners = twice as nice.

And if Jeff Foskett doesn't stick around, Full (and Fuller) House creator Jeff Franklin might be an option. Another Jeff F.  

In keeping with the early 90s vibe, this new version of The BBs could focus on the song Problem Child, playing exclusively that one song over and over again in the set.

Where are Stephanie and DJ?
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2016, 10:26:39 AM »

CD wins the thread! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2016, 10:29:05 AM »

That ALF & Willie Tanner  (Tanner...was that the last name?!) picture just made giggle.

KDS
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2016, 10:38:32 AM »

That ALF & Willie Tanner  (Tanner...was that the last name?!) picture just made giggle.

Yep, both ALF and Full House featured the Tanners. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2016, 10:43:08 AM »

Was Filleplage a Tanner? Evil

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »

Where are Stephanie and DJ?

Busy working on their side project, Celebration (of Fuller House Being Renewed)
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2016, 10:52:12 AM »

Man, if someone could photoshop Willie Tanner adjusting his mic stand, I would be forever grateful
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2016, 11:13:54 AM »

Was Filleplage a Tanner? Evil

I picture her more as an Ochmonic, or however the ALf neighbors spelt their name

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2016, 12:08:05 PM »

"True" Billy and did you know stamos performs with "the touring band" Wink

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx