gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
618910 Posts in 24943 Topics by 3545 Members - Latest Member: leafy October 23, 2017, 08:31:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Beach Boys 2017 Tour  (Read 13075 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2017, 05:56:16 PM »

I'm assuming the third camp before 2012 was Al?

Yes.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2017, 08:30:39 AM »

I've heard a fan report that Jeff mentioned he had offers from all three "camps" to join circa 1998/99.

I'm a bit skeptical of how firm an offer he received from either Al or Mike.

As Jeff even alluded to in his 2014 interview, even in 2014 he had some issues he had to talk out with Mike before rejoining. Read his mid-90s interview about his 1990 departure to learn more about the issues that may have been at play. Both Mike and Carl are specifically mentioned by Jeff in the interview was having issues with Jeff.

But I'm a bit skeptical that only eight years later, Mike would have been so quickly jumping back into asking Jeff back. On the other hand, he did lose his falsetto guy when Matt Jardine left in 1998 (Matt continued to do some gigs with Mike even after Al's departure), so there was a slot in the band he needed to fill.

Meanwhile, by the time Al was starting his "Family & Friends" band up in late 1998, he of course was going to have Matt in the band doing a lot of falsettos (and leads). So that would have filled the main role Jeff could have. Obviously, Jeff could have still joined Al's band and played guitar and sang higher mid-range parts, etc.

Jeff has seemed to have a pattern of arguably over-inflating his stories/resume on occasion (I still remember his website claiming he was going to get on stage with Paul McCartney at McCartney's show and play with him; that obviously never happened because I was at both Bay Area shows where they claimed it was happening/had happened). His 8 and 1/2 year tenure with the band has often ballooned to 10 or 12 or more years; sometimes they just count from 1981 and say he's been there for like 35 years. Nothing major, but I could see some random talk around 1998 about playing with these guys could morph into all three guys actually offering him spots.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2017, 12:19:28 PM »

Having met Foskett at a friends home in Princeton NJ 20 years ago when he performed solo for a group of about 30 people, I must say I was not overly impressed with him. He had a huge ego, appeared very self centered, and in general, a bit irritating with his "I'm a really big star" attitude. I just couldn't warm up to the guy....he's talented, for sure, and I have all of his solo CD's......and I think they're really great. But Jeff Fosket the man..........hopefully a lot better than the guy I met that Sunday afternoon 20 years ago in Princeton.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2017, 04:44:28 PM »

Having met Foskett at a friends home in Princeton NJ 20 years ago when he performed solo for a group of about 30 people, I must say I was not overly impressed with him. He had a huge ego, appeared very self centered, and in general, a bit irritating with his "I'm a really big star" attitude. I just couldn't warm up to the guy....he's talented, for sure, and I have all of his solo CD's......and I think they're really great. But Jeff Fosket the man..........hopefully a lot better than the guy I met that Sunday afternoon 20 years ago in Princeton.

A perfect fit for Mikes group then.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2017, 06:16:27 PM »

Some talk about Jeffrey..the name he likes to be called.  Want to add he has very poor book keeping skills (money).
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2017, 05:00:56 PM »

I've heard a fan report that Jeff mentioned he had offers from all three "camps" to join circa 1998/99.

I'm a bit skeptical of how firm an offer he received from either Al or Mike.

As Jeff even alluded to in his 2014 interview, even in 2014 he had some issues he had to talk out with Mike before rejoining. Read his mid-90s interview about his 1990 departure to learn more about the issues that may have been at play. Both Mike and Carl are specifically mentioned by Jeff in the interview was having issues with Jeff.

But I'm a bit skeptical that only eight years later, Mike would have been so quickly jumping back into asking Jeff back. On the other hand, he did lose his falsetto guy when Matt Jardine left in 1998 (Matt continued to do some gigs with Mike even after Al's departure), so there was a slot in the band he needed to fill.

Meanwhile, by the time Al was starting his "Family & Friends" band up in late 1998, he of course was going to have Matt in the band doing a lot of falsettos (and leads). So that would have filled the main role Jeff could have. Obviously, Jeff could have still joined Al's band and played guitar and sang higher mid-range parts, etc.

Jeff has seemed to have a pattern of arguably over-inflating his stories/resume on occasion (I still remember his website claiming he was going to get on stage with Paul McCartney at McCartney's show and play with him; that obviously never happened because I was at both Bay Area shows where they claimed it was happening/had happened). His 8 and 1/2 year tenure with the band has often ballooned to 10 or 12 or more years; sometimes they just count from 1981 and say he's been there for like 35 years. Nothing major, but I could see some random talk around 1998 about playing with these guys could morph into all three guys actually offering him spots.

This pretty much sums up exactly what I was thinking.  I highly doubt that Jeff would have turned down an invitation to rejoin Mike's band in 1998.  Even in 1999 when Brian's first real tour was forming, there were question as to if Brian was really going to do the tour.  Brian has been touring very consistently since 1999, but in 1998, the idea of Brian Wilson doing a full touring still seemed somewhat doubtful.  And when Brian did his live Imagination show that was filmed in 1998, asn't it Christopher Cross who did the high vocal parts?  It seems to make more sense that Jeff was offered the role in Brian's band quite awhile after Mike had already hired Adrian Baker.
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2017, 05:34:51 PM »

It is likely that the BR show Saturday night will be cancelled if it hasn't been already.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2017, 05:45:01 PM »

It is likely that the BR show Saturday night will be cancelled if it hasn't been already.

Yes itís a shame. They play in Biloxi pretty much every year on the first Friday and Saturday in October, as part of the Cruisin the Coast celebration (thousands of vintage cars cruising the beach highway).
But Mother Nature is being a spoilsport, as Biloxi along with New Orleans will be dealing with a hurricane starting late Saturday.  Angry

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"Someone...handed me a Leadbelly record with the song "Cottonfields" on it. And that record changed my life right then and there. Transported me into a world I'd never known." - Bob Dylan, Nobel Prize Speech.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »

I just got tickets to the Hiawassee show. I forgot that they went on sale last jight, but still managed to get 10th row for $55 a ticket. Not bad.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx gfx