gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:47:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Beach Boys 2017 Tour  (Read 50309 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »

No love lost between those TM "buddies" Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2017, 02:05:53 AM »

Gonna catch them in June in Berlin. What the hell, it's literally around the corner.  Smokin The only thing I'm wishing for is Scott Totten crooning "Ole Betsy"..

Is the Spandau Citadel an interesting venue?  I can't tell if it carries all the historical significance of Spandau, or if it is actually just a wide open field.  I would like to try and catch a show there sometime.  (I decided I would only see M&B if it cost me less than 10 Euros, and that ain't happening anytime soon on this side of the world)
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2017, 12:17:51 AM »

Here'a a comparison of the setlists for the 5:30 PM and 8:30 PM Beach Boys shows at Humphreys, San Diego, on Sept. 23. After the second show I was intrigued by the answer I got when I asked one of the roadies if they had any setlists available. As he grabbed a couple out of the trash and handed them to me he smiled and said, "What's a treasure to some of you guys is just everyday trash to us."

BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2017, 06:24:09 AM »

SUMMERTIME BLUES, AND WHAT IS DOING WILD HONEY OUTSIDE OF THE ENCORE?
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2017, 12:19:49 PM »

Ok, so I can understand Mike playing Cal Saga (it's a fun song that was a modest hit with a Mike lead)... Even with his Al beef, I can see why Mike would play this.

It's just so strange to see him play Lady Lynda. It sounded great!... But it's just odd to me.

I'm fine with him playing it, I'm actually happy because I love that song and the band played it well. I'm in favor of Mike's band playing any BBs songs, no matter who wrote them. A good song is a good song. And Mike's band does these songs justice, especially with the current line up.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2017, 01:09:50 PM »

Make no mistake, most of the people who would be bothered by Mike doing Brian-centric or Al-centric songs are folks who aren't likely to attend Mike's shows.

Although, I do think, especially in the UK, some devoted/hardcore fans do go to Mike's shows, and all I can say is that I'm not alone in finding Foskett singing "Surf's Up" next to Mike three years after Mike ditched the reunion as being kind of icky and lamentable.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2017, 01:12:50 PM »

Make no mistake, most of the people who would be bothered by Mike doing Brian-centric or Al-centric songs are folks who aren't likely to attend Mike's shows.

Although, I do think, especially in the UK, some devoted/hardcore fans do go to Mike's shows, and all I can say is that I'm not alone in finding Foskett singing "Surf's Up" next to Mike three years after Mike ditched the reunion as being kind of icky and lamentable.

I have to side with Nate here, as long as they're doing the song justice, I'm fine with it. 

If they did some sort of DIA17 type arrangement with a Brian, Al, Dennis, or Carl song in concert, then, that would be an issue. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »

I have to side with Nate here, as long as they're doing the song justice, I'm fine with it.  

If they did some sort of DIA17 type arrangement with a Brian, Al, Dennis, or Carl song in concert, then, that would be an issue.  

But "Do It Again" *is* as much a Brian song as it is a Mike song.

If the idea is that "if it's a good song, then nothing else matters" then I can't see why *any* given song *selection* (not performance, but the selection; that is, the *decision* to do the song) would ever be an issue.

Hey, Eichenburger does a really good version of "Wheel in the Sky", let's do that one too!

As I've already mentioned, my issue with Mike doing "Surf's Up" and similar things isn't the quality of the performance. I've never been a big fan of Foskett as a lead singer, but I'm sure he did and would sing the song just fine.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:21:33 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »

But "Do It Again" *is* as much a Brian song as it is a Mike song.

If the idea is that "if it's a good song, then nothing else matters" then I can't see why *any* given song *selection* (not performance, but the selection; that is, the *decision* to do the song) would ever be an issue.

Hey, Eichenburger does a really good version of "Wheel in the Sky", let's do that one too!

As I've already mentioned, my issue with Mike doing "Surf's Up" and similar things isn't the quality of the performance. I've never been a big fan of Foskett as a lead singer, but I'm sure he did and would sing the song just fine.

Is Wheel in the Sky a Beach Boys song?  No.  Surf's Up is.  So, not really an apt analogy. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2017, 01:39:12 PM »

Is Wheel in the Sky a Beach Boys song?  No.  Surf's Up is.  So, not really an apt analogy.  

I was referring to the more broad "a good song is a good song" position I've seen espoused from time to time. That's a different position than, I guess essentially "hey, it was technically released under the name "The Beach Boys", so it's fair game."

And the latter position doesn't account for Mike doing solo stuff, or "Celebration" stuff, and so on. What about Bruce singing "Summer Means Fun" or "Hey Little Cobra." Those aren't BB songs. What about "Duke of Earl?"

The point in all of this isn't some technical exercise in reading the byline on the record label. Brian and Blondie doing "Feel Flows" is fine, because Brian never gave Carl s**t for writing it, never blocked Carl from doing the song live, and everybody involved has *unequivocal* respect for Carl and his music. Mike doing "Surf's Up" is different. It's a song he has not actively supported or touted, a song from a project he had an adversarial relationship with (and no, I'm not a "Mike killed Smile" theorist), co-written by a songwriter he INFAMOUSLY confronted regarding his lyrical ability, a song he allegedly didn't want to perform alongside Brian on C50, and a song he was performing *after* ditching Brian, and *after* signing up Brian's right-hand man for his own band.

If you can't see the weird political/contextual issues with Mike Love and Jeff Foskett side-by-side singing "Surf's Up" as "The Beach Boys", then indeed I can't spell it out any more. I would think even someone who *loved* their performance and had no personal problem with it would be able to objectively recognize those aspects.

It's a bit like fans who seemed incredulous about Jeff joining Mike after leaving Brian's band. As if it's just a random personnel move when it fact it was one of the most political moves regarding the band and its members *in decades.*

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:44:14 PM by HeyJude » Logged

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2017, 02:02:45 PM »

Oh yeah, no doubt. Politically, this is a mess.

But for the sake of keeping the music alive, and sounding good, I'm for m&b playing any BBs material they choose.
KDS
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2017, 05:47:32 AM »

Is Wheel in the Sky a Beach Boys song?  No.  Surf's Up is.  So, not really an apt analogy.  

I was referring to the more broad "a good song is a good song" position I've seen espoused from time to time. That's a different position than, I guess essentially "hey, it was technically released under the name "The Beach Boys", so it's fair game."

And the latter position doesn't account for Mike doing solo stuff, or "Celebration" stuff, and so on. What about Bruce singing "Summer Means Fun" or "Hey Little Cobra." Those aren't BB songs. What about "Duke of Earl?"

The point in all of this isn't some technical exercise in reading the byline on the record label. Brian and Blondie doing "Feel Flows" is fine, because Brian never gave Carl s**t for writing it, never blocked Carl from doing the song live, and everybody involved has *unequivocal* respect for Carl and his music. Mike doing "Surf's Up" is different. It's a song he has not actively supported or touted, a song from a project he had an adversarial relationship with (and no, I'm not a "Mike killed Smile" theorist), co-written by a songwriter he INFAMOUSLY confronted regarding his lyrical ability, a song he allegedly didn't want to perform alongside Brian on C50, and a song he was performing *after* ditching Brian, and *after* signing up Brian's right-hand man for his own band.

If you can't see the weird political/contextual issues with Mike Love and Jeff Foskett side-by-side singing "Surf's Up" as "The Beach Boys", then indeed I can't spell it out any more. I would think even someone who *loved* their performance and had no personal problem with it would be able to objectively recognize those aspects.

It's a bit like fans who seemed incredulous about Jeff joining Mike after leaving Brian's band. As if it's just a random personnel move when it fact it was one of the most political moves regarding the band and its members *in decades.*

I think you can also argue that it makes both bands better. 
KDS
« Reply #137 on: September 29, 2017, 05:48:46 AM »

But for the sake of keeping the music alive, and sounding good, I'm for m&b playing any BBs material they choose.

Right.  Right now, I just don't see the point in fretting about the politics of the group.  Granted, it sucks.  But, at this point, it is what it is. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: September 29, 2017, 07:31:09 AM »

I wasn't even speaking to what Foskett does or doesn't bring to a live band.

I was speaking to the objective observation of what the move means, and how there are some fans that refuse to acknowledge the painfully obvious, that Mike's choice to bring someone into his band was, in part, a big giant "F**k You" to Melinda (and Brian).

It is what it is indeed......

KDS
« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »

I wasn't even speaking to what Foskett does or doesn't bring to a live band.

I was speaking to the objective observation of what the move means, and how there are some fans that refuse to acknowledge the painfully obvious, that Mike's choice to bring someone into his band was, in part, a big giant "F**k You" to Melinda (and Brian).

It is what it is indeed......

That's fine.  Like I said, I just don't see it that way.  And I doubt anyone in either band sees it that way. 

At the end of the day, Mike's band is better for Jeff's inclusion, and it opened an opportunity for Matt in Brian's band. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »

Right.  Right now, I just don't see the point in fretting about the politics of the group.  Granted, it sucks.  But, at this point, it is what it is. 

And that chasm has always been there; fans that are 100% sunshine, tea time at Buttercup Junction about anything any of the members ever do, versus more analytical fans and people interested in studying and documenting the history of the band rather than just passively sitting back for whatever they do.  

But if you're interested in delving into discussions about inter-band politics, internecine issues regarding the band, etc,, then a "whatever, it sucks, but I can't do anything about it" attitude sometimes cuts off the ability analyze the band in that way.

Objectively, a biography of the band would, if it chose to point out Jeff and Mike performing "Surf's Up" in the aftermath of Mike dumping Brian, wouldn't simply celebrate how awesome it is to hear a great song. It wouldn't be appropriate for a biography to say "In an a-hole move, they performed....", but it would be silly to *not* point out the irony of it and what such a move tells us about how these guys think and operate.

Similarly, to simply say "Jeff chose to move on and then joined Mike's band and everything is awesome" would be to avoid the elephant of an issue that is the biggest political maneuvering in eons within the band's ranks.

All of this is not to say we should always dwell on such things. But as student of the band's history, I don't tend to come away from big politics-laden events in the band's history with nothing more than "it is what it is."

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2017, 07:45:26 AM »

That's fine.  Like I said, I just don't see it that way.  And I doubt anyone in either band sees it that way. 

And the latter is verifiably wrong. How many band members have you asked about Jeff's movement from Brian to Mike's band?

They most certainly *are* aware of the political ramifications.

I would argue even if one had never heard one peep from the band members regarding the issue, it would still go far beyond straining credulity to suggest the band members aren't aware of what Jeff's move *means.* But members have discussed it, and while they may not all have precisely the same feelings about it or all give it the same precise amount of weight as an issue, they most certainly *are* well aware that Jeff leaving Brian's band and joining Mike's band is a HUGE deal in terms of BB/band/corporate politics.

Of course they're all pros and they're not going to give an interview to a local radio station and air their personal take on BB politics. The few times guys like Darian give interviews, they stay pretty diplomatic.

But behind the scenes, they all know the deal. They know Jeff jumping ship was/is more than just a standard personnel maneuver, both because of the circumstances *and* because of who the person is.

KDS
« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2017, 07:46:42 AM »

And the latter is verifiably wrong. How many band members have you asked about Jeff's movement from Brian to Mike's band?

I would argue even if one had never heard one peep from the band members regarding the issue, it would still go far beyond straining credulity to suggest the band members aren't aware of what Jeff's move *means.* But members have discussed it, and while they may not all have precisely the same feelings about it or all give it the same precise amount of weight as an issue, they most certainly *are* well aware that Jeff leaving Brian's band and joining Mike's band is a HUGE deal in terms of BB/band/corporate politics.

Of course they're all pros and they're not going to give an interview to a local radio station and air their personal take on BB politics. The few times guys like Darian give interviews, they stay pretty diplomatic.

But behind the scenes, they all know the deal. They know Jeff jumping ship was/is more than just a standard personnel maneuver, both because of the circumstances *and* because of who the person is.

Before you dismiss my opinion as wrong, how many band members have you talked to?
KDS
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2017, 07:48:07 AM »

And that chasm has always been there; fans that are 100% sunshine, tea time at Buttercup Junction about anything any of the members ever do, versus more analytical fans and people interested in studying and documenting the history of the band rather than just passively sitting back for whatever they do.  

But if you're interested in delving into discussions about inter-band politics, internecine issues regarding the band, etc,, then a "whatever, it sucks, but I can't do anything about it" attitude sometimes cuts off the ability analyze the band in that way.

Objectively, a biography of the band would, if it chose to point out Jeff and Mike performing "Surf's Up" in the aftermath of Mike dumping Brian, wouldn't simply celebrate how awesome it is to hear a great song. It wouldn't be appropriate for a biography to say "In an a-hole move, they performed....", but it would be silly to *not* point out the irony of it and what such a move tells us about how these guys think and operate.

Similarly, to simply say "Jeff chose to move on and then joined Mike's band and everything is awesome" would be to avoid the elephant of an issue that is the biggest political maneuvering in eons within the band's ranks.

All of this is not to say we should always dwell on such things. But as student of the band's history, I don't tend to come away from big politics-laden events in the band's history with nothing more than "it is what it is."

And, since that chasm you speak of has been discussed time and time again, why bother bringing it up, and clogging up a thread that's dedicated to specifically discussing Beach Boys concerts in 2017? 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 29, 2017, 07:49:40 AM »

You're not wrong, HeyJude.

But I think it's important to remember that it isn't better to be a student of the band, or a journalist digging into the band, or an amateur psychologist of the band, or a tabloid dramatist of the band, than it is to be a fan whose only interest is listening to music. They're different activities, different roles, unrelated to one another. Historians might hate the music; listeners might hate the details of the history. It's when people start belittling the other approaches that I think things get out of hand. The more academic approach may well lead to virtually incontrovertible evidence that somebody involved is an asshole, a criminal, even (for a fictional example). But that doesn't require the purely music fan to care in the slightest if all he wants to do is put sound into his ears.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 29, 2017, 07:50:53 AM »

Before you dismiss my opinion as wrong, how many band members have you talked to?

Multiple, and I've talked to journalists who have talked with a number of them as well.

As I said, I'm not even getting into the precise individual feelings/opinions on the issue. I'm simply saying that it ain't rocket science to acknowledge that these guys all *are simply aware* that Jeff's move was a huge, political maneuver *by it's very nature.*

To not acknowledge this would be like witnessing a wife leaving her husband for her husband's best friend and then claiming there's nothing potentially acrimonious or messy about it.

KDS
« Reply #146 on: September 29, 2017, 07:54:32 AM »

Multiple, and I've talked to journalists who have talked with a number of them as well.

As I said, I'm not even getting into the precise individual feelings/opinions on the issue. I'm simply saying that it ain't rocket science to acknowledge that these guys all *are simply aware* that Jeff's move was a huge, political maneuver *by it's very nature.*

To not acknowledge this would be like witnessing a wife leaving her husband for her husband's best friend and then claiming there's nothing potentially acrimonious or messy about it.

Fair enough. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: September 29, 2017, 07:56:58 AM »

But I think it's important to remember that it isn't better to be a student of the band, or a journalist digging into the band, or an amateur psychologist of the band, or a tabloid dramatist of the band, than it is to be a fan whose only interest is listening to music. They're different activities, different roles, unrelated to one another. Historians might hate the music; listeners might hate the details of the history. It's when people start belittling the other approaches that I think things get out of hand. The more academic approach may well lead to virtually incontrovertible evidence that somebody involved is an asshole, a criminal, even (for a fictional example). But that doesn't require the purely music fan to care in the slightest if all he wants to do is put sound into his ears.

That's all good. No disagreement. Im not saying any fan is better than any other.

But I think there is occasionally a bit of dissonance in discussions only because, for instance, a fan that is more of the "it's all about the music for me, not the drama" type then *does* also engage in discussions regarding what amount to non-musical, politics-related band issues/events. There are obviously no rules as to what we discuss or don't discuss. But I've been discussing BB stuff for around 22 years on the internet, and I've often seen discussions of what sometimes amount to pretty dark stuff about band politics and whatnot develop up to a point, and then some fans arbitrarily assert "it's just about the music" when it reaches the point where we have to maybe say this member or that member was a d**k about something or other.

To their credit, there *are" some fans who ignore all of the personal/political stuff and give everybody and everything related to the band ten thumbs up, and also stay *consistent* about that. And I do appreciate that. It doesn't make for much interesting discussion in my personal opinion, but I appreciate and respect the optimism and consistency.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:59:14 AM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #148 on: September 29, 2017, 07:57:20 AM »

I agree.  And it's not that I don't really care about the politics / history all that.  And I think that has its place, but this thread is specially about reviews of Mike & Bruce concerts.  
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: September 29, 2017, 08:01:24 AM »

Any thread has the potential to get bogged down in this or that, and take some left turns. But in discussing things like Mike's band performing "Surf's Up", or Foskett joining; those are on-topic enough in my opinion. The thread is simply titled "Mike and Bruce Beach Boys 2017 Tour", and the recent discussion developed from discussing a guy who is in Mike's band, and discussing how he arrived in Mike's band and the potential implications/ramifications of same.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx