gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:48:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Beach Boys 2017 Tour  (Read 50308 times)
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »

The disparity between Mike and Bruce's stated environmental stances and their politics is a legit issue worth taking them to task on, but I long ago was resigned to that never happening, so it's not a big deal. The Rolling Stone writer last year was the first person to actually ask Mike about a few of these types of discrepancies (such as seething with anger while espousing TM), but it's so rarely going to be asked and even more rarely answered.

The apparent hypocritical nature of the disparity isn't my main issue with a song like "SIP", it's more that they're bringing zero credibility to the issue based on their own voluntary comments regarding their politics. It's not an outlandish argument to make that their political alignment was and is with a party that works against the environmental causes they claim to be concerned about. If they want to just give a shoulder shrug when this is pointed out, that's their business. But then they're not going to be taken seriously when singing "Summer in Paradise" unless we just ignore the words altogether.

If I was a journalist and Bruce (or Mike) brought up the Surfrider Foundation one more friggin' time, I'd take him to task.

Dude poses with Trump and then brings back SIP live, pretty sure you can't get anymore hypocrite than that.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »

The thing with Bruce I've often wondered is whether he never gets his voice into full "touring shape" in terms of leads because he never does very many. If he rehearsed and sang, say, five songs every night, it *might* actually improve his voice. Or not, who knows.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2017, 11:49:54 AM »

Hahahahahah Pisces + SIP is still a thing it wasn't a one day joke? amazing.

Thanks Wink

I actually like the live versions I've heard of SIP. 

Pisces Brother, on the other hand.  A part of me was really hoping to like it.  Daybreak Over the Ocean gets a lot of hate, but I like that song, so I thought it might be a similar situation, but not at all. 

"Summer in Paradise" wasn't too bad when it first entered the setlist; it was something new. But it became sort of grating before too long. The environmental message just made Mike and Bruce appear hypocritical due to their own political leanings, Bruce always sounds kinda weak on the bridge, and while the guys in the current band no doubt have plenty of gusto working under Mike, Al in particular as well as Carl always looked bored to tears doing SIP material in concert.

Doesn't Bruce sound super flat and tired lately? from what i've seen here and there anyway

Depends on the show.  I've heard Bruce sound sort of strained, and I've heard him sound great. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2017, 04:37:26 PM »

He needs to retire, gone from a BW falsetto replacement to a stage prop for Mike Love. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2017, 06:05:35 PM »

He needs to retire, gone from a BW falsetto replacement to a stage prop for Mike Love. Roll Eyes

LOL But who's gonna adjust mike stands, clap hands and wear those stupid white shorts when myKe cuts him loose? Fatboy Jeff, huh?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2017, 06:09:23 PM »

He was exceptional on the C50 show I saw. Disney Girls was spine-chillingly good. However, I've heard other shows from that tour where he didn't sound good at all, ESPECIALLY on Wendy, which was horrible in the clips I have heard.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2017, 08:09:02 PM »

Bruce has always been in great voice when I've heard him live, but I have heard some clips that were less than satisfactory.

Additionally, that setlist is from a symphonic show and is nearly identical to the setlist with the NSO last summer.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2017, 02:00:21 AM »

I'm surprised they don't tackle "Everyone's in Love With You"...that would fit in their show pretty well actually and give them a chance to play something post-Pet Sounds that's actually semi-decent.

I'm actually surprised they don't do California Saga: California.  I think Mike's band would do a great job with it. 

I think that was probably literally the *one* song Al actually got to pick on C50, and I never got the impression Mike was super into the song. He certainly put enough gusto into singing it on those dates in 2012 (I saw the first C50 performance of the song in Berkeley; Mike clearly didn't remember the song and was using a lyric sheet), but I tend to doubt Mike would add a song to his setlist written solely by Al Jardine.

Well guess what?  They just played "California" tonight in Monterey.   Have you ever been south of Monterey?

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2017, 02:43:01 PM »

Am I the only person that finds it really suspicious that JUST that song appeared on setlist.fm the very same day we all were discussing its presence in the setlist?
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2017, 05:26:49 AM »

They are leaving Carl's tribute, but not Dennis'?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2017, 02:42:37 PM »

They "honor" Dennis with DYWD...it's super weird. I'm not a fan.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2017, 04:40:44 PM »

How weird
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2017, 05:52:32 PM »

How weird

Sometimes Mike will acknowledge it, sometimes he won't and they'll just launch into it with Dennis' vocal and the band awkwardly bobbing along. I've never heard him mention Dennis' death...he just says something like "and here's one from the vaults with Denny Wilson!"
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2017, 05:55:10 PM »

As if anyone attending the show must automatically know the context behind it and the performance, that's just such a lack of professionalism
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »

DYWD with Dennis' vocals was still in the setlist as per yesterday night's show in Napa, CA.
The fact that they don't mention his death is gotta be related to the fact that DYWD is an upbeat song and it shouldn't be setup by talking about death.
I think that's just fine.

STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2017, 06:51:46 PM »

Am I the only person that finds it really suspicious that JUST that song appeared on setlist.fm the very same day we all were discussing its presence in the setlist?

Maybe, or maybe it's just because they played in Monterey and the song mentions Monterey.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2017, 07:33:01 PM »

DYWD with Dennis' vocals was still in the setlist as per yesterday night's show in Napa, CA.
The fact that they don't mention his death is gotta be related to the fact that DYWD is an upbeat song and it shouldn't be setup by talking about death.

Why did they stop using "Forever" as the tribute to Dennis? I wondered if it had something to do with John Stamos' performance of the song on Full House and that being the image Mike would rather attach to Denny's most well-known (and beloved for many) song.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2017, 07:37:22 PM »

Why did they stop using "Forever" as the tribute to Dennis? I wondered if it had something to do with John Stamos' performance of the song on Full House and that being the image Mike would rather attach to Denny's most well-known (and beloved for many) song.

Maybe.  It could also be that there are already plenty of slow songs in the setlist and Forever would only work for indoor shows anyway.
DYWD fits on every type of show and so there can be a Dennis' tribute every night.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2017, 07:40:24 PM »

Maybe, or maybe it's just because they played in Monterey and the song mentions Monterey.

It just seems very suspicious that the first time The Beach Boys play it live without Al Jardine is the very same day that we are discussing it on this board, especially since Monterey isn't exactly an unusual tour stop for them. They hit the very same theatre last year with seemingly no evidence of it's appearance.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2017, 08:56:40 PM »

It just seems very suspicious that the first time The Beach Boys play it live without Al Jardine is the very same day that we are discussing it on this board, especially since Monterey isn't exactly an unusual tour stop for them. They hit the very same theatre last year with seemingly no evidence of it's appearance.

It's our chance to request rare odd songs then.
I vote for Rendezvous.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2017, 09:11:14 PM »

HA! I see Let Him Run Wild & Little Girl I Once Knew both appeared on the second night, but no Cal Saga. Perhaps they're just testing things out on this theatre shows early in the year. I've never heard either of the first two I mentioned live...would love for them to stick around. Not sure how I feel about Cal Saga without Mr. Jardine...
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2017, 09:46:47 PM »

HA! I see Let Him Run Wild & Little Girl I Once Knew both appeared on the second night, but no Cal Saga. Perhaps they're just testing things out on this theatre shows early in the year. I've never heard either of the first two I mentioned live...would love for them to stick around. Not sure how I feel about Cal Saga without Mr. Jardine...

LHRW was probably the highlight of the show. I'm Waiting For The Day and THWFOS too.

KDS
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2017, 05:24:44 AM »

I saw them do Let Him Run Wild at Wolf Trap two summers ago, and it was a great version.  I've never heard either band do LGIOK. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: March 13, 2017, 07:02:25 AM »

"California Saga" is there surely due to the Monterey connection. Did someone from the band read discussions here? Who knows? Is it kinda weird for Mike to do an Al song? Yeah, a little bit. But he does a bunch of Brian songs he (Mike) didn't have a hand in either, so I guess it's just more of that.

I believe this *may* be the first time in the 19 years since Al was s**tcanned from the band in 1998 that Mike has performed one of Al's songs without Al. By "Al's songs", I mean one mainly identified with him that *he* wrote, and not as a collaboration with other BBs. I know Mike has done "All This Is That" on and off for a number of years, but that one was of course a Carl-Al-Mike co-write. They've also always done "Al-centric" songs that Al didn't write, like "Rhonda", "Come Go With Me", etc.

Now, my guess is that we'll probably *not* see "California Saga" become a regular in Mike's setlist. His performances of the song in 2012, while professional, didn't seem to ooze enthusiasm.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 13, 2017, 09:48:00 AM »

I suspect it was a one off thing, perhaps prompted by this board...but probably not. When I saw C50 Mike was thoroughly unenthused with anything Al was doing and the two did not miss a chance to jab the other, albeit seemingly on playful terms at the time. Mike did that thing where he basically apologizes for a song when introducing Alan for Cotton Fields & California Saga.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx