gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:31:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Beach Boys 2017 Tour  (Read 50303 times)
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2016, 01:30:17 PM »

They have added Glasgow, Scotland on May 26th 2017.  I'm a little disappointed that I am the first to post this info (I think) here and on the other board.

I heard from a friend, not a big fan, at lunchtime by which time a lot of good seats were gone.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:24:57 PM »

They have added Glasgow, Scotland on May 26th 2017.  I'm a little disappointed that I am the first to post this info (I think) here and on the other board.

I heard from a friend, not a big fan, at lunchtime by which time a lot of good seats were gone.

I just happened to notice AGD's mention across the road of a local show and managed to get two pretty good seats (as I reported in the 2016 tour topic). Sorry you found out about the Glasgow gig so late...  

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:18:37 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 03:08:21 PM »

Since they are constantly just adding dates and not really doing structured "tours" at all, you've constantly got to be checking to see what has been released since they don't really get "announced". Mike should really have some kind of email list or something for people that want to know immediately though.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 04:22:35 PM »

They have added Glasgow, Scotland on May 26th 2017.  I'm a little disappointed that I am the first to post this info (I think) here and on the other board.

I just happened to notice AGD's mention across the road of the Rotterdam gig on June 5th and managed to get two pretty good seats (as I reported in the 2016 tour topic). Sorry you found out about the Glasgow gig so late... 

I managed to get good seats in Row E for Glasgow but wouldn't have if I only had these boards for info, which is a shame. Surely fan boards should be the first place to have that info?  It is for other bands.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 05:42:12 PM »

Well, there's always "The Vibe Room".  Cheesy

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 09:10:38 AM »

They'll be at the Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA (Philly suburbs) on April 1, 2017. I saw them there in December 2013 and it was a really good show - they played half of the Christmas album. I got an absolute front row seat for this one, so I'm pretty psyched. I'm hoping by the time I see them they are still doing the Pet Sounds set.

(What's the best way of trying to get them to include All I Wanna Do for my show? Post on their FB a few days beforehand?)

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 02:47:24 PM »

They'll be at the Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA (Philly suburbs) on April 1, 2017. I saw them there in December 2013 and it was a really good show - they played half of the Christmas album. I got an absolute front row seat for this one, so I'm pretty psyched. I'm hoping by the time I see them they are still doing the Pet Sounds set.

(What's the best way of trying to get them to include All I Wanna Do for my show? Post on their FB a few days beforehand?)

Interesting...wonder if they'll be coming by way of Baltimore/DC in April too...I'm not riding up to the Keswick after seeing them twice last year.

But anway...All I Wanna Do. I requested it on FB multiple times, as well as directly to Scott Totten leading up to the show. I know others did the same and it got onto the setlist, it was printed ON the paper. Yet, just as "Disney Girls" was ending (I think that was the song before it) Mike rushed up to Scott and whispered in his ear a while and Scott kinda gave all the band members a look, and they skipped right over it.

Ugh.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 09:03:58 AM »

They'll also be back at the American Music Theatre on Thursday, March 30th...so if you like watching a bunch of stuffy old white country folk sit firmly in their seats for nearly three hours, this is the one for you!  Grin
KDS
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »

Interesting...wonder if they'll be coming by way of Baltimore/DC in April too...I'm not riding up to the Keswick after seeing them twice last year.

But anway...All I Wanna Do. I requested it on FB multiple times, as well as directly to Scott Totten leading up to the show. I know others did the same and it got onto the setlist, it was printed ON the paper. Yet, just as "Disney Girls" was ending (I think that was the song before it) Mike rushed up to Scott and whispered in his ear a while and Scott kinda gave all the band members a look, and they skipped right over it.

Ugh.

According to recent setlists, it appears that they're finished celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Pet Sounds. 

I also requested All I Wanna Do on Mike's and The Beach Boys' Facebook pages before the Baltimore show.  I really think had the crowd reaction to All This is That not been so flat, All I Wanna Do might've been played. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 07:27:35 PM »

Playing the Detroit Auto Show red carpet gala "Auto Prom" event tonight. Some pictures if they go through...
Where is the sax player?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2GRDlmUsAABH2H.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2GSKmIWEAA7kUe.jpg:large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C2GNAtFXAAANopT.jpg
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:28:55 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 07:59:35 PM »

Playing the Detroit Auto Show red carpet gala "Auto Prom" event tonight. Some pictures if they go through...
Where is the sax player?

This was the charity preview night.  $400 per ticket.  Looks like they had a good showing and managed to raise 5.2 million dollars.  I'm planning to go up Sunday, but probably would have went tonight if I had more than a college budget lol.  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:08:10 PM by The Cincinnati Kid » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 08:41:50 PM »

Where is the sax player?

Looked at the pictures but where are the Beach Boys?? Cheesy

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 10:50:07 AM »

Where is the sax player?

They probably did a shortened set being a one-off event, so I'm sure Mike didn't think it was justifiable to pay him to be there. Obviously the staging etc. was a "no frills" thing on their part, and since it was charity it's not surprising he would be cutting corners every chance he could. I also got the vibe that the sax player was only brought on because of the deeper cuts on their "pet sounds tour" (if you want to call it that). He seemed quite unnecessary at The Kennedy Center when I saw them, but that's because there was the entire NSO behind them.
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 09:54:33 PM »

I am wondering what will this years Tour theme be. Last year was 50 years Good Vibes and the year before Summer days and Fun, fun fun the year before that.
50 years of Smiley Smile?  LOL LOL     I wish !
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 09:59:26 PM »

I am wondering what will this years Tour theme be. Last year was 50 years Good Vibes and the year before Summer days and Fun, fun fun the year before that.
50 years of Smiley Smile?  LOL LOL     I wish !

Pretty sure they could market it as the "grab them by the p*ssy" tour?   Roll Eyes

But seriously, aren't they in a bit of a difficult spot? From this point on, any anniversary is not going to be something that is from an album which they particularly acknowledge as even having existed.  Even though Mike wrote most of the lyrics for Wild Honey,  I just don't see them doing anything to promote that album as having an anniversary, nor the subsequent couple of albums, because the vast majority of their audience would be scratching their heads.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 10:19:46 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2017, 05:26:26 AM »

55 years of Ten Little Indians!

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2017, 06:37:01 AM »

Some upcoming shows are being billed and promoted as the "Surf & Soul Tour", a package concert with the Temptations. Subtitled "California surf meets Motor City soul". Video promos are already up and running, unless they're yet another ruse created by Noven Jaisi... Smiley  Not sure if "Surf & Soul" is only for the Temptations dates.

More interesting is a search of StubHub for tickets, and the band is billed as "Mike Love and Bruce Johnston's Beach Boys", with the shows in April adding "with The Temptations".

I can understand wanting to run things lean n' mean, but I'm still wondering why the sax player was not there at the Detroit gig - Has he been absent from other recent shows too or was he just off this Auto Show gig?
Edit: he was there playing 2-3 weeks ago. Maybe it was just this one gig last week.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 06:51:33 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2017/01/17/the-beach-boys-will-headline-the-black-tie-and-boots-inaugural-ball/?utm_term=.e73fc4c25a45

Reliable Source
The Beach Boys will headline the ‘Black Tie and Boots’ inaugural ball
By Helena Andrews-Dyer January 17 at 1:31 PM

“The Beach Boys,” that prototypical all-American boy band founded in 1961, will perform at the Texas State Society’s “Black Tie and Boots” inaugural ball on Jan. 19, according to several people close to the planning of the quadrennial bash.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2017, 12:12:19 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/reliable-source/wp/2017/01/17/the-beach-boys-will-headline-the-black-tie-and-boots-inaugural-ball/?utm_term=.e73fc4c25a45

Reliable Source
The Beach Boys will headline the ‘Black Tie and Boots’ inaugural ball
By Helena Andrews-Dyer January 17 at 1:31 PM

“The Beach Boys,” that prototypical all-American boy band founded in 1961, will perform at the Texas State Society’s “Black Tie and Boots” inaugural ball on Jan. 19, according to several people close to the planning of the quadrennial bash.

#NotMyBeachBoys

#FakeShemp

#BiffTannen
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:16:04 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 12:28:06 PM »

f*** and it's not even a top tier right wing either.... LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 12:34:18 PM »

Will Billy C go? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 05:42:30 PM »

Some upcoming shows are being billed and promoted as the "Surf & Soul Tour", a package concert with the Temptations. Subtitled "California surf meets Motor City soul". Video promos are already up and running, unless they're yet another ruse created by Noven Jaisi... Smiley  Not sure if "Surf & Soul" is only for the Temptations dates.

I think they used that same title for their tour with the Temptations last year.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 08:26:03 PM »

Noticed on a recent set list on Mike's Facebook page there was "Getcha Back 2016".  Anyone know what the significance of 2016 there is?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 09:57:08 PM »

Noticed on a recent set list on Mike's Facebook page there was "Getcha Back 2016".  Anyone know what the significance of 2016 there is?

I know since Christian's departure that Mike has resumed the lead vocal with the exception of a David Mark appearance...perhaps it has something to do with that? Probably in a different key, as they often indicate that on setlists for songs that may alternate lead vocalists.
KDS
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 10:20:54 AM »

I know since Christian's departure that Mike has resumed the lead vocal with the exception of a David Mark appearance...perhaps it has something to do with that? Probably in a different key, as they often indicate that on setlists for songs that may alternate lead vocalists.

I saw they're doing a Sunday afternoon show at Wolf Trap in mid August.  I attended a show like that 2 summers ago, with David Marks on board. 

Unfortunately, theres so many other, not cheap, shows I want to see this year, Ill be skipping both Brian and Mike in 2017.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx