gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:21:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Beach Boys 2017 Tour  (Read 50313 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »

I suspect after all these guys are dead and gone, all of the footage, memorabilia, archival interviews and well, THE DIRT will come out on the crazy time known as "C50" in some over the top boxset documenting the last time they decided to "do it again"...get your BestBuy Exclusive now with authentic TWGMTR sun-block pack for just $195.99
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2017, 09:33:56 AM »

There's tons of stuff from C50 that could and should be released. Multiple additional shows were professionally captured on video, including Red Rocks and Hollywood Bowl.

I would tend to doubt anybody wants to get near the political minefield of more C50 product right now, but Mike is the one would have the most reason to eschew more C50 product, as it pretty directly contradicts his current "Beach Boys" show. I'm not suggesting Mike has blocked any releases, because I don't know of any stories of anybody else trying to release anything else from the tour.

This is why I hold out hope that, when there is no longer a touring version of The Beach Boys, we someday get a good C50 live release. 

I wouldn't hold your breath on there not being a touring version of the Beach Boys. When Mike ends his run whether due to death or retirement, I would imagine Foskett is *already* chomping at the bit to take that license over.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2017, 09:36:07 AM »

There's tons of stuff from C50 that could and should be released. Multiple additional shows were professionally captured on video, including Red Rocks and Hollywood Bowl.

I would tend to doubt anybody wants to get near the political minefield of more C50 product right now, but Mike is the one would have the most reason to eschew more C50 product, as it pretty directly contradicts his current "Beach Boys" show. I'm not suggesting Mike has blocked any releases, because I don't know of any stories of anybody else trying to release anything else from the tour.

This is why I hold out hope that, when there is no longer a touring version of The Beach Boys, we someday get a good C50 live release. 

I wouldn't hold your breath on there not being a touring version of the Beach Boys. When Mike ends his run whether due to death or retirement, I would imagine Foskett is *already* chomping at the bit to take that license over.

Oh my, what a terrifying vision of a choatic nightmare you just brought to me! ruined my day Cry  LOL
KDS
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2017, 09:36:36 AM »

I suspect after all these guys are dead and gone, all of the footage, memorabilia, archival interviews and well, THE DIRT will come out on the crazy time known as "C50" in some over the top boxset documenting the last time they decided to "do it again"...get your BestBuy Exclusive now with authentic TWGMTR sun-block pack for just $195.99

If Best Buy is still selling CD/DVDs by the time they're all gone.  

I really thought we'd see a package like that.  Best Buy did similar packages for The Stones, and the reunion for The Police.  But, the Stones kept going, and The Police went their separate ways.  

I think we'll either see a massive C50 live release or some C50 stuff will be including in a larger live anthology.  

But, of course, before that, we'll see at least three more Pet Sounds reissues, about 17 new best of compilations, and maybe even another career spanning boxset.  
KDS
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2017, 09:38:40 AM »

I highly doubt that we'll see a version of The Beach Boys minus any Beach Boys.   Maybe Jeff, Scott, Coswill, etc touring that music as a tribute act, but I think once Mike is done, the b(r)and is done.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2017, 09:46:42 AM »

I highly doubt that we'll see a version of The Beach Boys minus any Beach Boys.   Maybe Jeff, Scott, Coswill, etc touring that music as a tribute act, but I think once Mike is done, the b(r)and is done.

I would hope that's true, but if I had to bet on it, I'd say it's very likely the various estates will continue to license the name out. It's free money, and the trademark and sort of "rep" of the touring band has already been hugely devalued, so it's not a huge leap to move to licensing the name out the same way various Motown bands do, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2017, 09:48:08 AM »

I actually would tend to think Mike Love will plan something with their "California Saga" family band
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2017, 09:50:15 AM »

I actually would tend to think Mike Love will plan something with their "California Saga" family band

Considering the CalSaga band hasn't done *anything* publicly for nearly five years now, I'm not counting on that. They apparently did some studio stuff after the C50 tour was over, but it all sounded very preliminary and without a specific goal.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2017, 09:51:55 AM »

The only way I could see that happening is if Brian and Alan leave this earth before Mike does, and Mike can no longer perform...but obviously wants the dough...I'm talkin' like he's 100 years old propped up a chair kinda scenario...
KDS
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2017, 09:53:16 AM »

I would hope that's true, but if I had to bet on it, I'd say it's very likely the various estates will continue to license the name out. It's free money, and the trademark and sort of "rep" of the touring band has already been hugely devalued, so it's not a huge leap to move to licensing the name out the same way various Motown bands do, etc.

I don't see people paying $50-$60 a pop for a show with no members of the band though.  They'd either have to lower the ticket prices or resort to doing fairs, festivals, package tours, etc.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »

I don't see people paying $50-$60 a pop for a show with no members of the band though.  They'd either have to lower the ticket prices or resort to doing fairs, festivals, package tours, etc.

I dunno, nobody much seemed to care outside of hardcore fans when the band lost two of its three core members in 1998. I think some modifications would have to be made, and promoters would see to that on the money side of things. But I think it could happen unfortunately, especially if they hooked promotion into trying to finagle billing Foskett as a "long time member" of the Beach Boys or some such thing.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »

The only way I could see that happening is if Brian and Alan leave this earth before Mike does, and Mike can no longer perform...but obviously wants the dough...I'm talkin' like he's 100 years old propped up a chair kinda scenario...

Yeah, if Mike passed or retired while Brian and Al were still alive, I don't think you'd see Foskett or somebody like that get the license.

The theory here is that once all of the members are gone or retired, then I could see the various estates (especially Mike's and Carl's) going along with giving the license to someone.

If Mike was gone and Brian and Al still around, I don't know if they'd try to take up the "Beach Boys" name themselves. But I think the window of time where it's plausible that Mike would be deceased or retired but while Brian and Al still wanted to intensively tour is a pretty narrow window.

With better BRI management in place, perhaps they'd be able to actually PLAN out some sort of endgame for the band, and what happens after they're all gone and/or don't want to tour anymore.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2017, 10:00:57 AM »

Considering the CalSaga band hasn't done *anything* publicly for nearly five years now, I'm not counting on that. They apparently did some studio stuff after the C50 tour was over, but it all sounded very preliminary and without a specific goal.

I don't know, that's probably on them, and Mike Love is too busy to be him you know, rehearsing Summer Of Paradise, rewritting Getcha Back, rerecording with John Stamos, doing his book and of course his endless tour with girlfriend Bruce, consumes lot of time and takes a lot of work to keep the ego legacy going on you know?

I'm pretty sure when things gets close to the end, he'll look over his California Saga band for his business tho

KDS
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2017, 10:03:41 AM »

Back on track, I see that Here Today, I'm Waiting for the Day, Caroline No, and You Still Believe in Me are still in Mike and Bruce's setlist as of March 4th.  If they stay in the setlist this summer, I might try to see them if a Baltimore date gets added. 
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »

Back on track, I see that Here Today, I'm Waiting for the Day, Caroline No, and You Still Believe in Me are still in Mike and Bruce's setlist as of March 4th.  If they stay in the setlist this summer, I might try to see them if a Baltimore date gets added. 

What are there current setlists? setlist.fm hasn't anything updated for their recent shows
KDS
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »

What are there current setlists? setlist.fm hasn't anything updated for their recent shows

This is the most recent, from this past Saturday

Set 1:
Do It Again

Surfin' Safari

Catch a Wave

Surfin' U.S.A.

Surfer Girl

Why Do Fools Fall in Love

When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)

Darlin'

Do You Wanna Dance?

Kiss Me, Baby

Then I Kissed Her

California Girls

Cotton Fields

Ballad of Ole' Betsy

Don't Worry Baby

Little Deuce Coupe

I Get Around

Set 2:
California Dreamin'

Here Today

You Still Believe in Me

God Only Knows
(with Carl on video)

I'm Waiting for the Day

Caroline, No

Sloop John B

Wouldn't It Be Nice

Their Hearts Were Full of Spring

The Warmth of the Sun

Disney Girls

Pisces Brothers

Summer in Paradise

Help Me, Rhonda

Kokomo

Good Vibrations

Encore:
Barbara Ann

Fun, Fun, Fun
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2017, 10:28:18 AM »

Hahahahahah Pisces + SIP is still a thing it wasn't a one day joke? amazing.

Thanks Wink
KDS
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »

Thanks Wink

I actually like the live versions I've heard of SIP. 

Pisces Brother, on the other hand.  A part of me was really hoping to like it.  Daybreak Over the Ocean gets a lot of hate, but I like that song, so I thought it might be a similar situation, but not at all. 
Scaroline No
« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »

No Canadian dates  Sad
KDS
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2017, 10:36:17 AM »

No Canadian dates  Sad

There's a gap in September and October, so they could be added.
Scaroline No
« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »

No Canadian dates  Sad

There's a gap in September and October, so they could be added.

Fingers crossed!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »

Thanks Wink

Pisces Brother, on the other hand.  A part of me was really hoping to like it.  Daybreak Over the Ocean gets a lot of hate, but I like that song, so I thought it might be a similar situation, but not at all. 

"Summer in Paradise" wasn't too bad when it first entered the setlist; it was something new. But it became sort of grating before too long. The environmental message just made Mike and Bruce appear hypocritical due to their own political leanings, Bruce always sounds kinda weak on the bridge, and while the guys in the current band no doubt have plenty of gusto working under Mike, Al in particular as well as Carl always looked bored to tears doing SIP material in concert.

KDS
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »

Thanks Wink

"Summer in Paradise" wasn't too bad when it first entered the setlist; it was something new. But it became sort of grating before too long. The environmental message just made Mike and Bruce appear hypocritical due to their own political leanings, Bruce always sounds kinda weak on the bridge, and while the guys in the current band no doubt have plenty of gusto working under Mike, Al in particular as well as Carl always looked bored to tears doing SIP material in concert.

Like Mike says in his book, it's possible to care about the environment and be conservative at the same time. 

It seems like the last couple years, Mike and Bruce have been dusting off deeper tracks of albums that were turning 50.  They did Good to My Baby and I'm So Young in 2015 into 2016.  And now, they're still doing the PS deep tracks. 

I wonder if any Wild Honey tracks will be added this year.  I highly doubt we'd see any Smiley Smile or Friends (2018) tracks added. 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2017, 11:32:01 AM »

The disparity between Mike and Bruce's stated environmental stances and their politics is a legit issue worth taking them to task on, but I long ago was resigned to that never happening, so it's not a big deal. The Rolling Stone writer last year was the first person to actually ask Mike about a few of these types of discrepancies (such as seething with anger while espousing TM), but it's so rarely going to be asked and even more rarely answered.

The apparent hypocritical nature of the disparity isn't my main issue with a song like "SIP", it's more that they're bringing zero credibility to the issue based on their own voluntary comments regarding their politics. It's not an outlandish argument to make that their political alignment was and is with a party that works against the environmental causes they claim to be concerned about. If they want to just give a shoulder shrug when this is pointed out, that's their business. But then they're not going to be taken seriously when singing "Summer in Paradise" unless we just ignore the words altogether.

If I was a journalist and Bruce (or Mike) brought up the Surfrider Foundation one more friggin' time, I'd take him to task.

Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2017, 11:37:15 AM »

Thanks Wink

Doesn't Bruce sound super flat and tired lately? from what i've seen here and there anyway
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx