gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:39:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike and Bruce Beach Boys 2017 Tour  (Read 50097 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »

Looks like Mike and Bruce may be doing some privates dates during the holiday break to promote the solo album:
http://www.elmoremagazine.com/2017/12/reviews/shows/mike-love-at-the-wooly

"We caught up with Love at a private affair in New York City’s historic Woolworth Building (the original skyscraper), where the Beach Boys band, actor John Stamos, Love’s designer wife Jacqueline Piesen, musical director Chris Stanton and BMG presdent Zach Katz showed up to join the show. Love treated the crowd to nearly a dozen numbers, selecting from both CDs in the Unleash the Love project. One thing became clear immediately: Love hasn’t lost his edge, he’s honed a couple of sharp new ones, too."
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:59:15 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2017, 03:31:24 PM »

Wasn't this exact same debate already hashed out on one of the other threads?

Anyway, I've acknowledged many times that unless there are contractual restrictions on what material to play, *any* and can play *any* songs they want. As I've said many times, Mike could do a set of nothing but Abba songs if he wanted to.

But holding up Brian's *SOLO* tour, where he tours under his own name, and comparing it to Mike's *LICENSED BEACH BOYS* tour, where he's using a trademark owned by multiple parties in order to make money (paying his licensing fee in the process), is simply ridiculous.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with Mike playing his solo material in concert, it *IS* different from the pre-1998 "Beach Boys" playing solo material.

In 2017, Mike is using the *Beach Boys* trademark to help promote his solo material. While the band is splintered. While Brian and Al have been "warned" in the last few years about too strongly using "Beach Boys" wording for their tour.

Mike promoting "Unleash the Love" in 2017 during a "Beach Boys" show, after having dumped Al and Brian in 2012, while using the group-owned BB trademark for his own show to make money and promote his solo record, is NOT the same thing as the 1983 Beach Boys doing "What You Do To Me." Not only were the circumstances different in 1983 (there was no "former" BB member on the outskirts of the band kicked out; Dennis's various bootings don't count), but the *reason* for playing a Carl song in 1983 was different as well. I think it most cases the pre-1998 BBs doing solo material was more a case of placating various solo members by letting them promote their solo record for a short while. In *every* case where new solo material was performed at BB shows, the songs were not in the setlist for long.

But again, I'm well aware that Mike can perform whatever he wants in concert (either because his license allows it, or BRI ignores it if the license doesn't allow it). But it's simply ignoring the history of the group to suggest Mike doing "All the Love in Paris" at his 2017 shows is the same as doing a few "Pacific Ocean Blue" songs in 1977 for like a week or two, or letting Carl do his "Soul Train" bit for a song during the 1983 shows, etc.

Let us not forget as well that clearly Al *wanted* to do a song or two from his "Postcards" album on the 2012 BB tour, and he wasn't allowed to. I think they threw him a bone and let him sell the CD at C50 shows, but he talked about doing material from the album on the C50 tour, and as usual, Al was told to sit down and shut up.

Excellent post!
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »

ya know one thing for sure.. Mike Love ENJOYS his life.. And for a guy his age to work as hard as he does when he doesnt have to.. Amazing..  After CW died he was doin some funky gigs for awhile.. In 2000 a week before BW played 2 nites at the Hollywood bowl with 1st tour of Pet Sounds. BB played a park in Pasadena Ca where there was only a few hundred people there with lots of  empty seats.. I was there it was SAD... Now look where he is.. It"s obvious the media likes and supports Mike"s version of BB TODAY.. Im sure c50 helped also.. And it help"s he has rearrainged the band a number of times to what he has now.. the best version of BB band.. And the odd"s were against him.. We pick on him for using BB name.. WELL.. He is laughing all the way to the bank.. Gotta applaud the effort even tho we may disagree..
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2017, 09:41:20 PM »

ya know one thing for sure.. Mike Love ENJOYS his life.. And for a guy his age to work as hard as he does when he doesnt have to.. Amazing..  After CW died he was doin some funky gigs for awhile.. In 2000 a week before BW played 2 nites at the Hollywood bowl with 1st tour of Pet Sounds. BB played a park in Pasadena Ca where there was only a few hundred people there with lots of  empty seats.. I was there it was SAD... Now look where he is.. It"s obvious the media likes and supports Mike"s version of BB TODAY.. Im sure c50 helped also.. And it help"s he has rearrainged the band a number of times to what he has now.. the best version of BB band.. And the odd"s were against him.. We pick on him for using BB name.. WELL.. He is laughing all the way to the bank.. Gotta applaud the effort even tho we may disagree..
The best version of the BB band??? What in god's name are you talking about?? Are you saying that the M&B show is the best version of the BB's ever or it's the best that they can currently come up with? Please clarify.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2017, 09:48:33 PM »

#MottLogic

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: December 04, 2017, 09:59:03 PM »

#genderbasedIgnorantInvective (otherwise known as #NoLogic)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 05, 2017, 12:50:07 AM »

I have always thought of the 2 entities myself to be fair. The Beach Boys, and separately M&B touring Beach Boys Band.

At least I hope this poster is thinking the same.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: December 05, 2017, 03:29:44 AM »

SORRY.. I thought it was obvious.. The best version of the band since Mike took over the name.. Ive only seen the band a few times since 1999... Everytime the band changes members i go check them out..   And the band he has now is the only one id pay to see again.. I thought the worst version was the 1st one..   So i hope im clear now thx.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 05, 2017, 05:41:41 AM »

#genderbasedIgnorantInvective (otherwise known as #NoLogic)

What do you mean by that?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2017, 06:27:58 AM »

Important points:

1. I don't think anybody, including Mike's biggest detractors, have ever suggested he doesn't enjoy his life. That's plainly evident by this plethora of "look at my awesome life" posts on Facebook over the last several years. He does also seem to harbor a lot of anger/sour grapes/bitterness about elements of BB history as well.

2. The degree to which Mike must work "hard" is obviously unknown, but I'm not so sure he would be able to keep up his lifestyle if he just quit touring. So I'm quite prepared to say his current level of work is something he "doesn't have" to do. I'm sure he's plenty wealthy that he wouldn't literally have to keep touring to keep a roof over his head, etc. But I think the financial element of his touring is and always has been a large factor. He's not touring out of altruism.

3. Carl's tragic death was not the reason Mike's early post-1998 shows were not so hot. As indicated in the David Marks/Jon Stebbins book, there were moves to dismantle the band to some degree prior to Carl's death. The book reports David Marks was brought on to replace *Al*, not Carl. It was Mike, according to press reports an interviews, that eventually said he didn't want to play with Al or Carl. So the post-1997 band without Al and Carl was not entirely simply thrust upon him.

4. I don't obviously have attendance/financial numbers on Mike's touring throughout the years, but as soon as he started using the "Beach Boys" name in the summer of 1998, his shows immediately bounced back and he was generally successful in terms of audiences and ticket sales. Even in 1999 and 2000, he was doing fine overall in that regard. That's not to say a show here and there as a fluke might not be sparsely attended. But Mike's show and the BB name bring in money across the board as a general rule.

5. The media at large doesn't care about the touring "Beach Boys" and hasn't in eons. Same goes for the working rock press at large. Mike's band gets the local newspaper fluff pieces promoting his show as it comes into town. But he's not getting regular coverage by the serious, legit rock press. The exception? The C50 tour in 2012. Overnight Mike (and the rest of the band) were A-listers again. Doing the Grammies instead of the Queen Latifah show. Mike chose to give that all up and go back to being Lou Christie.

6. "Laughing all the way to the bank" - Again, I don't think Mike's biggest detractors have EVER suggested he isn't *insanely rich* off of this BB touring thing.

7. What odds were against Mike? He's had everything he has wanted for a couple decades now, just the way he wants it. His production company running BB tours. He has the name. He's his own boss. Nobody to answer to. Al was immediately marginalized post-1998.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 05, 2017, 07:52:37 AM »

I think The Beach Boys realized early on that not all members had to be in attendance for an audience to accept them as The Beach Boys. This is evident with Brian leaving the touring band in the early 60's. However, I wonder when Mike realized that he could play BBs music, and be accepted, by non-hardcore BBs fans, as "The Beach Boys".  I wonder if he had thoughts of this when he was doing his earliest California Beach/Endless Summer Band shows, or if he still had doubts going into 1998. Him bringing David Marks on in 1998 suggests that he felt the need to have a certain amount of actual Beach Boys onstage, but as we saw earlier this year, Mike literally performed a Beach Boys concert without Bruce, where he was the only actual Beach Boy, yet the audience was pleased. In the past, when Bruce was ill, Dean Torrence would fill in for Bruce (presumably taking his vocal parts to some extent, but also to add legitimacy), but as of 2017, I genuinely believe that Mike sees himself and The Beach Boys as the same entity.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 05, 2017, 08:46:01 AM »

I think The Beach Boys realized early on that not all members had to be in attendance for an audience to accept them as The Beach Boys. This is evident with Brian leaving the touring band in the early 60's. However, I wonder when Mike realized that he could play BBs music, and be accepted, by non-hardcore BBs fans, as "The Beach Boys".  I wonder if he had thoughts of this when he was doing his earliest California Beach/Endless Summer Band shows, or if he still had doubts going into 1998. Him bringing David Marks on in 1998 suggests that he felt the need to have a certain amount of actual Beach Boys onstage, but as we saw earlier this year, Mike literally performed a Beach Boys concert without Bruce, where he was the only actual Beach Boy, yet the audience was pleased  

I saw Mike (with Bruce and David Marks) about two years ago and at the break he was signing autographs.  I heard an audience member say to the person next to them "which Beach Boy is that?"  They clearly had no idea and didn't seem too worried about who was who.  I think the audience going to Mike shows can be divided into two groups:  fans of the (real) Beach Boys who understand what they're seeing, and people who are not in-depth fans but just want to go to a concert/hear some songs they like.  
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:40:46 PM by marcella27 » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 05, 2017, 03:57:12 PM »

Hey Jude........ Every point you bring up i already knew.. I was trying to post something positive and nice for the xmas season.. Im an old fart i grew up with the BB.. So i hope your post was not directed at just me.. And when Mike took over BB name the internet lit up.. How can he tour without any wilson"s and  make it without screwin with the LEGACY.. And be profitable.. Well im surprised how well he has done.. Even tho most gigs are small places and he travels as Bruce said..Walmart style..Ive seen BB band 6 times over 20 years.. Ive seen BW 23 times over the same time period.. So you know who i support.. Just sayin..
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 05, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »

Mr. Wilson, I agree. The current Beach Boys band really does sound incredible. Great energy, great vocals, and the setlists are getting better and better. From what I've heard from from those early years 1998-2000, The Beach Boys sounded really rough. Adrian's vocals always sounded really harsh to me, and the drumming was all over the place. I do miss Mike Meros though on keyboards.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 06, 2017, 02:15:23 AM »

sorry
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 02:12:54 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: December 06, 2017, 06:29:36 AM »

Hey Jude........ Every point you bring up i already knew.. I was trying to post something positive and nice for the xmas season..

Um yeah, your comment letting us know about how Mike's "laughing all the way to the bank" really warmed my Xmas season spirit.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx