gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:49:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys after Mike Love?  (Read 5961 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »

Will the Beach Boys continue as a touring act after Mike retires? Will Jeff or Scott carry the torch? And when Mike decides to retire, will Bruce retire with him? It would be weird having a BBs band with no actual members...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 09:27:35 AM »

I think it will go on as long as there is sufficient demand to make it profitable. Certainly big bands like the Count Basie Orchestra and Duke Ellington Orchestra have done it.

If the musical standards remain high, I don't see why not. It wouldn't be the same, but nothing ever is. Watching a couple septuagenarians mostly croak, muddle, and mic-adjust their way through teenage music while supported by younger (but not young) musicians isn't exactly authentic to the originals either.

If people want to pay for quality renditions of the catalog, BRI should own and profit from the product.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 09:44:48 AM »

I was thinking about this,,,,In Brian's book he talks about how the Four Freshmen have continued as a whole new group, because the members are dead or retired, so I'm wondering if The Beach Boys will go down the same route after they retire/die? I can see that as long as it is done the right way, for example they cannot record or write any new songs , (we don't need another "New Monkees" situation), They won't be a tribute band but will feature the children of the Beach Boys, at least they will be in charge, and the wives in the same way that the Beatle wives of John and George all have a say in what happens to the Beatles, They wouldn't be a tribute band but a continuation of the Beach Boys, they will only be allowed to sing songs approved by the family, The merchandise will have only the original members on it..I picture The Beach Boys of the next Gen as being more like a touring museum...
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:44:10 AM »

I truly hope not. I enjoy seeing Mike and Bruce's Beach Boys, but without those two it wouldn't be The Beach Boys. The touring members, while talented, are not Beach Boys and should not tour under that name.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 11:54:03 AM »

I truly hope not. I enjoy seeing Mike and Bruce's Beach Boys, but without those two it wouldn't be The Beach Boys. The touring members, while talented, are not Beach Boys and should not tour under that name.

Don't tell that to Foskett. My gut/sense is that he would go for the license to lead the band in a heartbeat if Mike retired or was otherwise indisposed.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 08:57:22 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 01:39:30 PM »

Will the Beach Boys continue as a touring act after Mike retires? Will Jeff or Scott carry the torch? And when Mike decides to retire, will Bruce retire with him? It would be weird having a BBs band with no actual members...

I have mixed feelings. The way Jeff seems to be positioning himself to take over is unsettling. On the other hand, shouldn't these songs be performed long after the original BBs are gone?
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 03:09:51 PM »

I think that's what tribute bands are for??  And no, I don't favor the group or their heirs putting an official tribute band on the road, and further don't especially want to see such a group with folks like Matt Jardine and Christian Love in it.  Not as any kind of quasi-Beach Boys unit.   Just seems kinda lame to me.  If they want to go out as the Endless Summer Band, featuring Matt Jardine or whomever or some such, that I be cool with.  Heck remember all the stink when Michael Clarke went out with his Byrds-like group??  And he was an actual Byrd!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 06:56:58 PM »

Hypothetically---

If David and Bruce went out as The BBs, would that be acceptable?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 10:44:34 PM »

I don't see any of these guys retiring just because of "old age". That's obviously not a conflict of interest. However, if any serious health issues were to occur or God forbid they just don't wake up one day, I think we'd see immediate change if Mike or Brian is affected.

Honestly if Bruce, Alan, or David were "to go"...I don't think we'd see any alteration in the current arrangement. Now, as far as once the time comes that there are no living Beach Boys...I could easily see a touring band called "The Beach Boys" owned by BRI and whomever would be benefiting from it in the original founders families, maybe even some offspring would be involved in the lineup...but I totally think Foskett thinks he's the real deal, and Mike and Bruce seem to be okay with that too. He won't disappear easily. The only one in the touring band that I wouldn't see doing this is John Cowsill. I can't quite explain why, but it doesn't seem like his kind of gig anymore.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 11:15:35 PM »

I really thought the Beach Boys were done when Carl died; how wrong I was. I'm sure the group - as it is today - will continue for many more years, although it may get to the point where Mike sings fewer leads and sits down on the songs he's not featured on. Bruce doesn't do much as it is, so I can't see age changing his role very much. After they're gone, who knows? Will there still be an audience for Beach Boys music in 2030 or 2040?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 07:09:01 AM »

My dream to carry the torch for the Beach Boys would be 'California Saga' featuring many of the Beach Boys offspring (and John Stamos-haha just kidding). Perhaps playing with Brian's backing band. But even the minimalistic approach they were doing in 2012 would be cool and more economical. Obviously it wouldn't make sense for them to write new songs unless its released as California Saga. Perhaps have opening acts be their other music projects such as Wilson Phillips, Carl's sons band (I forget what they were called), etc

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Bob K
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 09:37:13 AM »

A band consisting of Sean Lennon, James McCartney, Dhani Harrison and Zak Starkey might be interesting, but would you want that billed as "The Beatles"?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 10:28:51 AM »

A band consisting of Sean Lennon, James McCartney, Dhani Harrison and Zak Starkey might be interesting, but would you want that billed as "The Beatles"?

Nope.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 12:29:53 PM »

When Mike Love and Bruce retire, that should be it, no more Beach Boys. 
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 01:11:56 PM »

Who says that bands have to go on forever?

Most of the best bands go on for a few years then call it quits. There are exceptions like The Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers... But to me, after Carl passed away, there were no real "Beach Boys". I see Mike and Bruce's band as a (very good) tribute band. But the Beach Boys without Carl? Without Brian? Hell, even without Dennis or Al? That's not really the Beach Boys, is it!

I really hope there's no "Next Gen Beach Boys" in the future. There has never been a "New Beatles" Band but their songs and albums are still incredibly popular and kids still discover them. I don't want kids from the future to discover The Beach Boys via some tribute bands featuring somebody's grandson!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:13:57 PM by Toursiveu » Logged
surf patrol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 01:16:18 PM »

All over without  Mike on stage.  Bruce will retire.... If something happens to Bruce first Love would keep touring ie. big ego and loves $$$.  The music is the "star" of the show. ..... The BB's ended when Carl died  Al left and Carl's band  members left. 
 Foskett could probably go back playing some shows with Papa Doo Run or play little lounges or bars  by himself ....
Maybe Cowsill will go back to carpentry work as he was for many years & play the few shows with his family band at Newport R.I. ?  No idea what others in Love's group will do ?  The clock is running down fast.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:08:53 AM by surf patrol » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 01:24:35 PM »

The name should have been retired after Carl passed away before myKe luHv could sink his nasty claws into it. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennn...

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »

Nope.

Cool, Cool Watering Down the Brand's Legacy
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 02:21:04 PM »

When a Band Needs a Frontman.

I would pay to see a 4-6 person Fenders & Pendletons tribute wunderkind gang (the OP's Touring Museum idea) come to my hometown, featuring special guest Matt Jardine.  But any other non-member, likely not. 
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 04:29:14 PM »

How about The Fendertones - Officially Licensed Tribute Show?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 04:40:24 PM »

The most important takeaway from this discussion is it doesn't matter. Or at least, there is no single outcome that will be satisfying to most people, and thus it's irrelevant, more or less. Can't please everyone. So they should do whatever they want to do. Non-rock bands have a precedent for going on long after the primaries are gone, a la Ellington, Basie, etc. It gets weird when people associate the singer with the song (or in this case, the band with the songs). Obviously a lot of people here care about who is on stage ... but non-Beach Boys have had prominent roles with the Beach Boys for decades now. Some of you are fine with Billy Hinsche, or Matt Jardine, or Jeff Foskett, or whoever else. Others, not. Some have rules: one original member, etc. Others, not.

So really. It doesn't matter. If BRI wants to continue with a licensed Beach Boys, it should. Some people will be pissed, others will be thrilled, and plenty will fall in between. Nobody should care all that much.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 04:48:27 PM »

I guess a comparison might be the Beatles, Elvis tributes that are out there. Not for me but if they keep the music alive I don't see any harm. Occasionally I've seen artists get a tick from widows, children of originals etc so again, I don't see any harm.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 05:03:41 PM »

Not for me but if they keep the music alive I don't see any harm.

Plus one.

Though honestly, if you wanted to make the best possible group possible (say, by combining the best people from all factions' bands), I'd say it is for me. Not as an ongoing, productive entity in terms of new music, of course. But for playing the catalog? I'll take Matt on "Don't Worry, Baby," and Darian on "Darlin," etc., all damn day!

Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 03:35:47 AM »

The Beach Boys were a band that created amazing innovative music with catchy lyrics and untouchable harmonies. That band died a little with the loss of Dennis and should have stopped being called the Beach Boys after Carl's death unless all remaining members are aboard and we are getting some new music. With the exception of Brian, nobody is really creating music at all. Mike may be keeping the band's name alive for a new generation, but the current Beach Boys band is little more than a cover band without any of the ingredients that made them the Beach Boys.
KDS
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 09:29:51 AM »

The Beach Boys are one of several bands that originated in the 1960s that are still touring under the original name with a small portion of the classic lineup.   The Yardbirds are out there with just Jim McCarty just to name one example.

As long as they do the music justice in a live setting, and charge reasonable prices (check and check), I dont see an issue.

However, when bands start touring with zero original members, iys time to drop the name.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx