gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:48:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Article & Interview - Mike Love and Jeff Foskett  (Read 6996 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2016, 09:29:12 AM »

This story claims that Mike gave Al credit for the 50th "firing" story. As I recall, the British press started that one -- at least that's where I first heard of it.

Mike used the odd word choice of "promulgated", which leaves open the possibility that he's not saying Al started it, but that he promoted the notion in interviews and whatnot.

But I don't recall Brian or Al ever saying they were actually fired. They made it very clear that Mike chose to go back to his own thing and expressed disappointment. Brian even went so far as to say in his LA Times letter that he knows he can't be fired but that it, let's say it altogether now, "FEELS" like being fired. Mike is just being purposely obtuse in ignoring that key fact.

As far as Al, my feeling is that Mike is just annoyed that Al complained (more than even Brian did) about the end of C50. I think there was that one weird interview a year or so back where the interviewer captured a post-interview continuation between Al, Al's wife, and the interviewer where they referred to the end of C50 and the continued difficulties in promoting the Brian/Al shows and being harangued about using the BB name to promote those shows. But even there, my recollection is that they were talking the same fashion as Brian did, that it was a de facto firing or splitting of the reunion, not a literal legal firing of anyone.

It's technically fair to say that Al, as an employee of "50 Big Ones Productions" for C50, was sort of "laid off", or at least certainly "not rehired."

In any event, Mike blaming Al for any of the "fired" stuff is patently unfair. That was (and continues to be) the lazy media. If any BB played a role in that beyond the lazy media, it was Mike's abrupt and tactless "announcement" and underlying decision at the end of C50 to go back to his own thing.

Given that Mike has such a hard-on for Mr. "You're Fired!" Trump, I'm surprised he didn't want to own it and actually say "You're Fired!" to Brian and Al, just like his hero. Guess he's smart enough to know that wasn't going to fit the narrative of trying to make everyone feel sorry for him.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 09:29:58 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2016, 09:38:29 AM »

He still has sycophants like Andrew G Dumbass to shill for him.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »

I think Mike is being taken out of context. I think he's saying (as he said in his book) that Dennis wanted Mike to join in a Manson orgy. Mike never said in his book that Dennis wanted to "join the Manson family" (as in join his cult), let alone encouraged Mike to do so!

Mike Love's book says that in the summer of 1968, "Manson and his girls moved into Dennis's house, and Dennis joined the family."

You're right-- page 206. That is a really damning statement to make. Then again, it's right in the middle of Mike's hatchet job on Dennis's character.

I just looked in the index to find the part about Dennis and saw Brian's section first. It's really horrible. Various entries in the index are:  Wilson, Brian (cousin)... blame for his downfall  ...compulsive habits ...drug use ...controlled by Eugene Landy ...erratic behavior and paranoia ...obsession with Phil Spector ... There are also positive ones, and I know Mike didn't compile the index, but it just shows how much of his book he devoted to Brian, and not usually to make him look good. Compare that to the only other person who gets so much text (Love, Mike), and the only negative categories are "financial problems" and "lawsuit against Brian Wilson" (which Mike would argue is not a negative).

I've also mentioned before that Mike doesn't thank Brian in the acknowledgements, whereas Brian at least says "Mike Love was there from the start."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2016, 11:20:55 AM »

I think Mike is being taken out of context. I think he's saying (as he said in his book) that Dennis wanted Mike to join in a Manson orgy. Mike never said in his book that Dennis wanted to "join the Manson family" (as in join his cult), let alone encouraged Mike to do so!

Mike Love's book says that in the summer of 1968, "Manson and his girls moved into Dennis's house, and Dennis joined the family."

You're right-- page 206. That is a really damning statement to make. Then again, it's right in the middle of Mike's hatchet job on Dennis's character.

I just looked in the index to find the part about Dennis and saw Brian's section first. It's really horrible. Various entries in the index are:  Wilson, Brian (cousin)... blame for his downfall  ...compulsive habits ...drug use ...controlled by Eugene Landy ...erratic behavior and paranoia ...obsession with Phil Spector ... There are also positive ones, and I know Mike didn't compile the index, but it just shows how much of his book he devoted to Brian, and not usually to make him look good. Compare that to the only other person who gets so much text (Love, Mike), and the only negative categories are "financial problems" and "lawsuit against Brian Wilson" (which Mike would argue is not a negative).

I've also mentioned before that Mike doesn't thank Brian in the acknowledgements, whereas Brian at least says "Mike Love was there from the start."

Gross.

You know, I'm really looking forward to not giving Mike any of my money. If I wind up reading this book at some point out of sheer curiosity, I'll buy it used and cheap.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »

If they were living at Dennis' house with him, wasn't Dennis part of the family?
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2016, 12:46:03 PM »

If they were living at Dennis' house with him, wasn't Dennis part of the family?

Doesn't "the family" refer to the cult...the people who later carried out the murders (as in The Manson Family)? I wouldn't say he was part of "the family" just because they were living in his house.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2016, 02:18:07 PM »

Gross.

You know, I'm really looking forward to not giving Mike any of my money. If I wind up reading this book at some point out of sheer curiosity, I'll buy it used and cheap.

Proud to have not given him a penny since 1998. (C50 and official releases aside)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2016, 06:33:02 PM »

The Manson stuff is a detour, it's a story Mike has been telling for at least 25 years since I first heard him tell it to Howard Stern on the radio. And one of the main players passed away in 1983, while the other is a jailed ranting lunatic with a swastika inked into his forehead.

How about the present day claims and contradictions?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2016, 06:29:13 AM »

With his book, ML destroyed forever any surviving respect I had for him*. I am also proud of not having ever specifically increased his undeserved wealth by a single penny. Of course I could not help his percentage of what I gave to the Beach Boys (the REAL ones, never the MLBJ travesty).

And... revenge for WHAT? For WHAT, ML? He should kiss the soil where Brian has passed. For a man so motivated by money, he is pretty oblivious of the source of his wealth.

* Whereas Brian's confirmed all the good I was thinking of him, though I find it much more amazing, in good ways.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:39:51 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2016, 08:09:46 AM »

He still has sycophants like Andrew G Dumbass to shill for him.

LOL LOL w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2016, 08:13:53 AM »

With his book, ML destroyed forever any surviving respect I had for him*. I am also proud of not having ever specifically increased his undeserved wealth by a single penny. Of course I could not help his percentage of what I gave to the Beach Boys (the REAL ones, never the MLBJ travesty).

And... revenge for WHAT? For WHAT, ML? He should kiss the soil where Brian has passed. For a man so motivated by money, he is pretty oblivious of the source of his wealth.

* Whereas Brian's confirmed all the good I was thinking of him, though I find it much more amazing, in good ways.

As for the respect issue, absolutely and even without his book.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx