gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 05:18:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bruce did the vocal arrangement for the ending of "Surf's Up"?  (Read 6669 times)
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:56:50 PM »

In one of the comments on the Fendertones' version of "Surf's Up" (featuring much of both Brian's band and the M&B band, including Mike and Bruce), one of the Fendertones attributes the vocal arrangement of the ending to Bruce. The tone of the rest of the reply is ironic (the arrangement, he says, "can be heard on some obscure releases") but I'm really puzzled about how seriously to take the rest of what he says. Is there any truth at all to this claim, is it something that has been generally known to BBs fans but just escaped my notice, or is he just putting on?

Here's the video which you've probably all seen by this point (the arrangement follows BWPS and features Brian's Stockholm group playing the strings):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKx6t8T9iwY

Here's a link to the comment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKx6t8T9iwY&lc=z12tv334ownte12gd04ch1nz3qnvtp5w01g.1452969166381079
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 02:59:20 PM »

M&B taking credit again for BW's work.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 06:27:21 PM »

It wouldn't surprise me that with BW's absence during he Surf's Up sessions, Bruce would've stepped up to the plate and maybe refined what Brian had arranged during the SMiLE sessions
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »

I remember reading a story somewhere about Brian rushing down from his bed during the session to add a part to the coda.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 08:16:55 PM »

What're you folks talking 'bout? That "Child is The Father of The Man" reprise/coda? If so, first we must sleuth whether or not it was even intended to be on the SMiLE album originally, or whether or not it was a post '67 addition, because either possibility could help us decipher who exactly wrote that vocal arrangement/melody at the coda. Right now, I'd bet my bucks on BW writing it down himself, because of how it very much sounds like a redundant Brian Wilson vocal arrangement/melody (the complexity, the scat voices that are jarringly similar to Brian's "CITFOTM" vocal melodies/arrangements circa '66, and just the mere thought of reprising a random SMiLE song at the coda of "Surf's Up" seems like a Wilson-esque move [*cough* *cough* Bicycle Rider on "Heroes and Villains"] because we must remember that Mr. Wilson sought out to create a "Teenage Symphony to God" with all of these songs), but then again, who knows? Can any Beach Boy enthusiast help us? Laugh out loud!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:30:30 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 08:19:42 PM »

I should clarify that in my post I was referring to the Surf's Up album sessions.

The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 08:28:07 PM »

I should clarify that in my post I was referring to the Surf's Up album sessions.

Yeah, I'm just working on finding out whether this arrangement was written prior to those "Surf's Up" sessions, which might actually help us formulate or assume with greater understanding who might've actually written this arrangement. If Brian goes on record to say something like: "Bruce wrote it," then I'll take his word for it.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:29:42 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 09:26:55 PM »

I've always been really curious about that lyric in the coda("A children's song..."). Who wrote it? When was it written? We know that it's not present in either the 1966 studio "demo", or the 1967 Smiley Smile era recording. It's also interesting to note that the Smile era recording of "Child Is Father of The Man", and the 1971 Surf's Up CIFOTM "reprise" are very different from each other in melody and tempo.

Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 10:27:06 PM »

I've always been really curious about that lyric in the coda("A children's song..."). Who wrote it? When was it written? We know that it's not present in either the 1966 studio "demo", or the 1967 Smiley Smile era recording. It's also interesting to note that the Smile era recording of "Child Is Father of The Man", and the 1971 Surf's Up CIFOTM "reprise" are very different from each other in melody and tempo.

Both Brian and Jack Reiley have claimed to have written those lyrics.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »

I remember reading somewhere of an alternate lyric that was more "upbeat", I guess you could say. I think it ended with something like " As day is done, all the children carry on".

Nile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 03:06:44 AM »

I remember reading somewhere of an alternate lyric that was more "upbeat", I guess you could say. I think it ended with something like " As day is done, all the children carry on".

I think it went something like: The father's life is done, and the children carry on...
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 08:13:15 AM »

No evidence that the children's song coda was written or arranged prior to the Surf's Up album sessions.  Carl arranged the song according to Stephen, perhaps he could add to this thread his recollections, but Carl added the synth, the "begones" etc and edited the two parts together with Stephen.  My understanding is Carl had the idea to add "child" to the end, as the child chorus does fit easily over the chord progression - one can speculate that perhaps Brian intended that all along but if so he stayed mum about during the Smile sessions and after, and there is no evidence he was planning that from the 66 or 67 solo versions he recorded.

As they were working on the coda Brian came downstairs and contributed some lyrics, probably working with Jack.  So Jack claims credit but Brian definitely had input according to accounts by people who were there.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »

I always say use your ears and decide in these situations. Listen to the beginning and end of the original Smile era "Child", which of course became the coda in '71. Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPz_PgFwpRU

The percolating "child, child..." vocal arrangement is there. The bass line is there, the ground floor has already been put in place.

Getting the info from something Stephen Desper posted, Brian wasn't into the band revisiting Surf's Up, but he did show up one time and said there was another part which was supposed to go onto that section, then demonstrated it. And that was the "and they know the way..." part which became the key vocal melody on that coda in '71.

It's most of the 60's work on that track with that "new" or newly rediscovered melody/lyric on top, with the addition of some wordless oohs and ahhs as stacked chords in the vocal harmonies.

Draw conclusions from that, lol .

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 01:08:57 PM »

Don't know if Bruce did that arrangement or not, but he certainly would have been capable of it.  Not that it is that complex anyway.....
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 01:34:54 PM »

Do you even like this group? Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2016, 03:25:58 PM »

Hence, the screen name.  Shocked

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2016, 09:02:02 PM »

Really?!?!?!?  Roll Eyes   I thought he was referring to Mike Smith of the Dave Clark 5.  Now there was a MIKE who really could sing leads.  Wink  Well... ... ...he could. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2016, 03:12:51 PM »

Really?!?!?!?  Roll Eyes   I thought he was referring to Mike Smith of the Dave Clark 5.  Now there was a MIKE who really could sing leads.  Wink  Well... ... ...he could. Cool Guy

Mike Smith was the greatest!! also.
leetwall97
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2016, 06:07:04 PM »

This stuff's interesting. The other lyric they decided not to use was "Now the Father's gone, and the Children carry on". I think it reveals how perfect Surf's Up would've been as Smile's album closer. The Father (the main character) has grown old and died and his children now carry on. It's like that thing in the Pink Floyd Album the Wall, where a phrase is spoken at the end of the album and finished at the start of it. Smile could've been replayed over and over again. The whole life journey (American style), all over again for future generations to enjoy and discover. I think the lyrics in this part of the song is what Brian meant in his new book when he said he couldn't finish the song without Van. The lyrics seemed to've been the biggest reason why the Smile album wasn't finished. Van was gone and only he could finish 'em. I guess the reason why Brian sang the background melody during the demos is because that's all he had. And I think the Child thing wasn't Brian's idea. It's too obvious and it distracts. So let's just imagine Brian's background melody with the lead melody on top... Sounds much more heavenly.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2016, 07:17:17 PM »

And I think the Child thing wasn't Brian's idea.

Even though Stephen Desper - who set up Brian's mic and headphones after he came into the studio telling Desper and Carl he had the "missing" part of that coda, the lyrics and melody, then sang it - tells the story of Brian adding that part? This is the same Stephen Desper who decades later still had the sheet of paper from that session with Brian's handwritten lyrics for that section which he read from when he recorded the part, mind you.

So it wasn't Brian's idea even though the guy who literally pressed "record" on the tape machine as Brian showed up in the studio and sang the part said it was Brian?

Am I missing something?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2016, 07:50:43 PM »

Seems pretty conclusive to me. But whadooeyeknow?  Huh
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2016, 11:52:31 PM »

I think the "Brian came down and demonstrated the final part" idea is correct, from what I've read.  That doesn't eliminate the possibility that Bruce did the legwork on getting the background vocals ready to lay down on tape.

Gee, it's a shame that Stephen Desper isn't here to add some interesting tidbits, YOU IDIOTS
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2016, 12:15:13 AM »

I think the "Brian came down and demonstrated the final part" idea is correct, from what I've read.  That doesn't eliminate the possibility that Bruce did the legwork on getting the background vocals ready to lay down on tape.

Gee, it's a shame that Stephen Desper isn't here to add some interesting tidbits, YOU IDIOTS

Watch yourself.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2016, 06:03:42 AM »

Fair.
leetwall97
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2016, 10:57:45 AM »

And I think the Child thing wasn't Brian's idea.

Even though Stephen Desper - who set up Brian's mic and headphones after he came into the studio telling Desper and Carl he had the "missing" part of that coda, the lyrics and melody, then sang it - tells the story of Brian adding that part? This is the same Stephen Desper who decades later still had the sheet of paper from that session with Brian's handwritten lyrics for that section which he read from when he recorded the part, mind you.

So it wasn't Brian's idea even though the guy who literally pressed "record" on the tape machine as Brian showed up in the studio and sang the part said it was Brian?

Am I missing something?

Oh no, I meant the Child Is Father of the Man part. I'd imagine the 'Children's Song' was definitely original. But take it with a grain of salt. This is just how I feel about it.

And come on man, if you think I'm wrong, Say it! Don't be condescending, that wastes our time
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:43:54 AM by leetwall97 » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx