gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:18:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leonard Cohen passes away at 82  (Read 4050 times)
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2016, 05:52:27 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/leonardcohen/

R.I.P.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 06:00:54 PM »

Oh fucking hell Sad  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/leonard-cohen-dead-at-82-w449792

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »

Trump wins and Leonard Cohen dies.  This week sucks.  Embarrassed

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 07:10:47 PM »

Very very sad right now. Sad
Scaroline No
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 07:12:08 PM »

Trump wins and Leonard Cohen dies.  This week sucks.  Embarrassed

So sad... This whole year needs to stop taking our heroes from us.  Cry
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 07:17:08 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »

Oh my...

Cry

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Scaroline No
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »

"There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in."

My favourite line from anything ever written, ever.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 07:24:55 PM »

To be fair, they pass every year. As to the subject, heard some stuff, didn't like the voice & too slow music.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 07:46:04 PM »

Check out his last cd called "You want it darker." It's a really sad and beautiful cd... it's like he knew he was going to die,,,reminds me of "Hurt" by Johnny Cash, I have a feeling this cd will be a classic...
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »

To be fair, they pass every year. As to the subject, heard some stuff, didn't like the voice & too slow music.
Man, I'm not even a fan but that's just a shitty thing to add.  Everyone dies - a given - doesn't make each one meaningless.  And for the sake of those who are saddened, just hold your tongue.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 08:41:06 PM by Compost » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 09:00:08 PM »

I didn't dispute what SCaroline Z said. Just saying facts, that every year they announce smb. died in music industry. It isn't just this year. People for some reason, going back to the start of this year, kept saying this year is doomed. But it's not so. Where you see me hinting about "meaningless" - no idea. & then I said I didn't like his music & voice - it's not insult.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 09:50:59 PM »

It's sad, RRA1 that when I noticed that you had a post on this thread, I knew it would be negative.
His songs touched millions of people. Incredible lyrics. Have you heard his song Hallelujah?
Please let us have the opportunity to pay tribute to him.

P.S. Your comment that his music is "too slow" reminds me of a music class I took in High School. The teacher played a beautiful aria from Handel's Messiah. Brought tears to my eyes. But some of the students complained that it was too slow (I mean, how could anyone dance to it??!)
Oh well, different strokes for different folks

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 10:04:05 PM »

sad day.  it's been a sad few days.  sure didn't need this.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
KDS
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 10:17:09 PM »

I didn't dispute what SCaroline Z said. Just saying facts, that every year they announce smb. died in music industry. It isn't just this year. People for some reason, going back to the start of this year, kept saying this year is doomed. But it's not so. Where you see me hinting about "meaningless" - no idea. & then I said I didn't like his music & voice - it's not insult.

I'm really not that familiar with Mr. Cohen's music.   But when an artist passes away, if you're really not a fan of their work, its really best to not comment at all.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 10:30:48 PM »

2NOLA BB Fan & KDS: I check this board by reading the "unread posts since last visit". I usually read every thread, except political/sport/alcohol. I viewed this thread post by post & see SCaroline Z said sth. that I observed from start of this year. It's sth. about the curse of this year. I replied to that bit to say that it's not true & every year we'd seen various artists die. Then, to make it relevant, I felt I should say sth. about Leonard Cohen, that I dislike his music (NOLA, like I said before, about Bob Dylan, lyrics to me matter zero in the song. I don't care for poetry) & voice. Nobody stops anyone to pay tributes. Lots of people write they don't like this musician, that singer regardless if they died. & it will continue to be as such. That's it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:32:23 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 12:18:23 AM »

2NOLA BB Fan & KDS: I check this board by reading the "unread posts since last visit". I usually read every thread, except political/sport/alcohol. I viewed this thread post by post & see SCaroline Z said sth. that I observed from start of this year. It's sth. about the curse of this year. I replied to that bit to say that it's not true & every year we'd seen various artists die. Then, to make it relevant, I felt I should say sth. about Leonard Cohen, that I dislike his music (NOLA, like I said before, about Bob Dylan, lyrics to me matter zero in the song. I don't care for poetry) & voice. Nobody stops anyone to pay tributes. Lots of people write they don't like this musician, that singer regardless if they died. & it will continue to be as such. That's it.

Can you at least *try* to be respectful for those who may feel differently?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 01:08:12 AM »

If any of you cared to read my posts attentively before replying - without getting reactionary - you'd see I wasn't disrespectful. Ah well, carry on.

Douchepool
Smiley Smile Associate

Time to make the chimifuckingchangas.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 05:20:45 AM »

But some of the students complained that it was too slow (I mean, how could anyone dance to it??!)
Oh well, different strokes for different folks

That's what the Moody Blues were told when they delivered Days of Future Passed to Decca. It later became a huge hit.

The Artist Formerly Known as Deadpool. You may refer to me as such, or as Mr. Pool.

This is also Mr. Pool's Naughty List. Don't end up on here. It will be updated.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 05:38:36 AM »

Very, very sad news.
Though I think that in a song music is usually more important then lyrics, I do care for poetry and consider Leonard, like Bob Dylan, a very good, sometimes great poet.  As a musician, I like Leonard better, and consider his voice, with that preposterous bass, one of the most distinctive in pop music.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 03:08:18 PM »

R.I.P

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 05:17:32 PM »

Though I think that in a song music is usually more important then lyrics, I do care for poetry and consider Leonard, like Bob Dylan, a very good, sometimes great poet.  As a musician, I like Leonard better, and consider his voice, with that preposterous bass, one of the most distinctive in pop music.
Thank you, thorgil. Much appreciated, nice polite reply without getting judgmentary/preachy.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx