-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:28:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Politics: 2016 Lame Duck and 2017 New Administration
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Politics: 2016 Lame Duck and 2017 New Administration  (Read 252696 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: June 08, 2017, 05:52:55 PM »

On the other hand, as someone on Twitter just noted, the election situation in England tonight demonstrates what happens when a person with a genuine commitment to leftist principles can run in an election. Pretty exciting to see.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: June 08, 2017, 06:18:23 PM »

Good things even if he doesn't win! Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: June 08, 2017, 06:27:42 PM »

Good things even if he doesn't win! Smiley

Yes absolutely!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: June 10, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »

"We underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote."
The irony made me think of you, CSM!
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: June 11, 2017, 06:51:56 AM »

"We underscore that states that sponsor terrorism risk falling victim to the evil they promote."
The irony made me think of you, CSM!

Exactly. It is a concept that people understand when it applies to others.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: June 22, 2017, 11:49:52 AM »

The proposals in AHCH to cut coverage and Medicaid are entirely in contradiction to what Trump promised as a candidate, demonstrating, once again, that his platform was, uncontroversially, nothing more than an elaborate scam.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: June 22, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »

And we knew he was a conman for decades....  Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 04, 2017, 11:03:41 AM »

If there is one twitter thread to read today, this is the one: https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/882274173283745792
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 21, 2017, 08:11:00 PM »

Shrug
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:43:29 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 23, 2017, 10:15:49 AM »

I can't give you the hard evidence you want, but just like when I predicted his win during the primaries, chalk it up to a gut feeling. He'll be good.

OK, in that case, can you possibly answer some direct questions.

His tax plan to reduce the top tier tax percentage, has historically only led to the disenfranchisement of the working class, the dissipation of the middle class, the inflation of personal debt and the inflation of national debt. The difference between Trump and these previous cases is that he wishes to impose this policy in an even more extreme fashion. What do you think is good about that?

On election day, the World Meteorological Organization released information that illustrated uncontroversially the striking man made contributions to climate change. They noted that "2016 will be the hottest year on record," that "Concentrations of major greenhouse gases in the atmosphere continue to increase to new records," and that "there was significant and very early melting of the Greenland ice sheet." Trump's decision in this case is largely to ignore this. What do you think is good about that?

Furthermore, there have already been severe consequences as a result of these major environmental changes, not the least of which being environmental migration. As the WMO point out, "in 2015 there were 19.2 million new displacements associated with weather, water, climate and geophysical hazards in 113 countries, more than twice as many as for conflict and violence." In the upcoming years, no matter what Trump says about immigration, there will be simply no way he could ever possibly adhere to those standards, at least not without killing many people. What do you think is good about that?

Trump has made no bones about his opposition to basic entrenched rights. So, for example, he has argued that he is in favour of "expanding libel laws" to target news organizations who write things about him that he doesn't like. What do you think is good about that?

In terms of international policies, most politicians propose a coherent one, whether you can agree with it or not. Trump still hasn't put forward a consistent foreign policy. What do you think is good about that?

I think all of these can be summed up by saying lets just wait and see what happens. We've only seen the trailer, the movie hasn't begun yet and there's plenty of twists and turns ahead. That's my very simplified version. I think he'll do well and that's my feeling.

Okay, but based on what? Because I could, say, point to the policies of Bernie Sanders and Jill Stein and specifically say why I think they'd do a good job. Furthermore, I could distinguish between the Clinton policies and the Trump policies to point out why Clinton would do a better job than Trump. So, I'm curious why you think he'd do a good job, because merely saying that you think he will is meaningless.

Based on how well he ran his campaign, his persuasion skills and his negotiating skills. For a man with no political experience, he passed the job interview with flying colours and surprised many people. I believe he'll continue to do so. It's all very fluid.

As per Brian Klass, we are now "6 months (182 days) in [and] Trump hasn't passed a single bill of 10 he promised to pass in his first 100 days." This is in spite of the fact that "Republicans control everything." I am just curious what Sinister Smile would have to say now about Trump's "persuasion skills and his negotiating skills."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: July 23, 2017, 10:43:51 AM »

CSM is laughing from an academic viewpoint! Grin

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 24, 2017, 04:00:23 PM »

I'm crying (and fighting mad) from a reality viewpoint.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 24, 2017, 05:55:26 PM »

Same
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 24, 2017, 06:21:26 PM »

If there is one twitter thread to read today, this is the one: https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/882274173283745792

Nothing like some American hating from an ignorant youth!

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 24, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »

Huh?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 24, 2017, 06:43:34 PM »

America truly has the market cornered on hating on other countries to the point of literally destroying them and the possibility of a decent existence there and then getting super defensive about people speaking about critically about it.

In other words, here's when it is acceptable in the US to hate a country: when a Catholic-led initiative teaches peasants Marxist doctrine, then it's acceptable to hate that policy so much that we train an army to spend years slaughtering 60, 000 people. Or when a government in a neighbouring country is improving the quality of life, literacy and nutrition standards but simultaneously nationalizing its resources and therefore excluding foreign operators from economic penetration. Then it's acceptable to hate the country so much that you state sponsor the bombing campaign, some of which purposefully targets innocent civilians, that murderis around 100,000 people in act declared by the International Criminal Court to be an unlawful use of violence. But you hate their policies so much you veto two UN security resolutions that call on you to stop these illegal terrorist attacks.

Here's when it's unacceptable in the US to hate a country: when someone points out the above facts.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:48:44 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 24, 2017, 06:53:48 PM »

Same
Try this for CSM and Emily: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bUYXVseSCJM

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 24, 2017, 07:05:19 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WZTfoq5gBEI

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 24, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »

America truly has the market cornered on hating on other countries to the point of literally destroying them and the possibility of a decent existence there and then getting super defensive about people speaking about critically about it.

In other words, here's when it is acceptable in the US to hate a country: when a Catholic-led initiative teaches peasants Marxist doctrine, then it's acceptable to hate that policy so much that we train an army to spend years slaughtering 60, 000 people. Or when a government in a neighbouring country is improving the quality of life, literacy and nutrition standards but simultaneously nationalizing its resources and therefore excluding foreign operators from economic penetration. Then it's acceptable to hate the country so much that you state sponsor the bombing campaign, some of which purposefully targets innocent civilians, that murderis around 100,000 people in act declared by the International Criminal Court to be an unlawful use of violence. But you hate their policies so much you veto two UN security resolutions that call on you to stop these illegal terrorist attacks.

Here's when it's unacceptable in the US to hate a country: when someone points out the above facts.

Preach. Hear hear. You go, girl. You said it. And all those things. Yes.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 24, 2017, 07:54:24 PM »

Love this. Thanks.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 25, 2017, 06:22:06 AM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LpDQB9AuKv8

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 26, 2017, 06:06:59 AM »

I can't give you the hard evidence you want, but just like when I predicted his win during the primaries, chalk it up to a gut feeling. He'll be good.

OK, in that case, can you possibly answer some direct questions.

His tax plan to reduce the top tier tax percentage, has historically only led to the disenfranchisement of the working class, the dissipation of the middle class, the inflation of personal debt and the inflation of national debt. The difference between Trump and these previous cases is that he wishes to impose this policy in an even more extreme fashion. What do you think is good about that?

On election day, the World Meteorological Organization released information that illustrated uncontroversially the striking man made contributions to climate change. They noted that "2016 will be the hottest year on record," that "Concentrations of major greenhouse gases in the atmosphere continue to increase to new records," and that "there was significant and very early melting of the Greenland ice sheet." Trump's decision in this case is largely to ignore this. What do you think is good about that?

Furthermore, there have already been severe consequences as a result of these major environmental changes, not the least of which being environmental migration. As the WMO point out, "in 2015 there were 19.2 million new displacements associated with weather, water, climate and geophysical hazards in 113 countries, more than twice as many as for conflict and violence." In the upcoming years, no matter what Trump says about immigration, there will be simply no way he could ever possibly adhere to those standards, at least not without killing many people. What do you think is good about that?

Trump has made no bones about his opposition to basic entrenched rights. So, for example, he has argued that he is in favour of "expanding libel laws" to target news organizations who write things about him that he doesn't like. What do you think is good about that?

In terms of international policies, most politicians propose a coherent one, whether you can agree with it or not. Trump still hasn't put forward a consistent foreign policy. What do you think is good about that?

I think all of these can be summed up by saying lets just wait and see what happens. We've only seen the trailer, the movie hasn't begun yet and there's plenty of twists and turns ahead. That's my very simplified version. I think he'll do well and that's my feeling.

Okay, but based on what? Because I could, say, point to the policies of Bernie Sanders and Jill Stein and specifically say why I think they'd do a good job. Furthermore, I could distinguish between the Clinton policies and the Trump policies to point out why Clinton would do a better job than Trump. So, I'm curious why you think he'd do a good job, because merely saying that you think he will is meaningless.

Based on how well he ran his campaign, his persuasion skills and his negotiating skills. For a man with no political experience, he passed the job interview with flying colours and surprised many people. I believe he'll continue to do so. It's all very fluid.

As per Brian Klass, we are now "6 months (182 days) in [and] Trump hasn't passed a single bill of 10 he promised to pass in his first 100 days." This is in spite of the fact that "Republicans control everything." I am just curious what Sinister Smile would have to say now about Trump's "persuasion skills and his negotiating skills."

UPDATE: And the next bid to repeal and replace Obamacare has failed. Another setback for the man with excellent persuasion skills and negotiating skills.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 26, 2017, 09:33:41 AM »

And, of course, as a consequence of political incompetence and dwindling approval ratings, he has gone back to the old chestnut of dividing people amongst themselves - something Naomi Klein accurately predicted at the very inception of the Trump Admin - as that is a tried and true method of reinforcing power:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/26/politics/trump-military-transgender/index.html
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »

Agreed, my brainwashed family watched his rally last night and his ideas sounded familiar. So I went on the southern poverty law center website and all Trump is pushing is white nationalism for a generalized audience.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 26, 2017, 10:01:36 AM »

Agreed, my brainwashed family watched his rally last night and his ideas sounded familiar. So I went on the southern poverty law center website and all Trump is pushing is white nationalism for a generalized audience.

Yes. If there is a positive side to it, it's that it clearly illustrate the desperation and insecurity of the administration. And, indeed, they should feel insecure because if the previous election showed us anything it's that there is a now vibrant and more organized public opposition to the tyrannical rule of the exploitative ownership class that Trump represents. The negative side is that this sort of discourse has historically led to all sort of dangerous consequences about which people need to vigilant.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: