-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:54:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Politics: 2016 Lame Duck and 2017 New Administration
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Politics: 2016 Lame Duck and 2017 New Administration  (Read 252689 times)
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: April 12, 2017, 10:24:30 AM »

I really believe reform trumps exit/dissolution.

I agree with though the point Thorgil brings up about austerity is spot on.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 12, 2017, 10:27:42 AM »

I really believe reform trumps exit/dissolution.

I agree with though the point Thorgil brings up about austerity is spot on.
So do I.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 12, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »

As someone who teaches English, the mistakes I make on here are appalling. If it's any excuse, I do tend to write very quickly.

What I meant was "I agree with you [The Captain] though the point Thorgil brings up about austerity is spot on."

As a result of my error, you unintentionally agreed with my point agreeing with you. We may now both be in a Monty Python sketch.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 12, 2017, 10:41:46 AM »

Lol, there's nowhere I'd rather be.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: April 12, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »

From there to Python again...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: April 12, 2017, 02:43:07 PM »

Agreeing austerity was terrible and, sorry, stupid. However, austerity and EU don't necessarily go hand-in-hand. Austerity was the economist-ignoring political fad. 
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: April 13, 2017, 12:02:56 PM »

The US has now dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb on Afghanistan. As Abby Martin has pointed out, the bomb has "a blast radius of a mile in every direction" and was dropped in a region where "95,000 human beings live."
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #607 on: April 13, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »

Jesus....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #608 on: April 13, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »

The US has now dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb on Afghanistan. As Abby Martin has pointed out, the bomb has "a blast radius of a mile in every direction" and was dropped in a region where "95,000 human beings live."

A Tuesday strike in Syria has also been confirmed to have actually struck rebels we're supporting.

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: April 13, 2017, 12:23:06 PM »

A Tuesday strike in Syria has also been confirmed to have actually struck rebels we're supporting.

Yes, which is terrible but it is also the case that the US have been already funding attacks on the Syrian Democratic Forces through its support of Turkey. Though, to give credit to the US, they did take issue with Turkey trying to take Kurdish territory in Syria, but they have since moved to increase aid to the country. So the US support of this group is complicated to say the least.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 12:41:52 PM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: April 13, 2017, 04:05:19 PM »

In short, then, would it be fair to summarize your preference as containment of the problem, with humanitarian aid provided, and more or less hoping for the best (without directly influencing with respect to) the eventual political outcome?

Or we could just bomb everyone.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: April 13, 2017, 04:20:19 PM »

Trump's kind of old and doesn't know anything about economics. Thinking back on his campaign- "we'll have so many jobs; we'll
Spend a lot on the military; we'll spend a lot on infrastructure," i can't help but think that the New Deal and post WWII boom are as far as his economic understanding goes - the super-simple gov't-spends-money-on-industry-yay-strong-economy! thing that results in more money flowing through the economy while it's happening but no long-term economic gains and in fact takes resources from the production of consumer goods and services, increasing consumer prices.   I mean, we need to fix some bridges and roads and better high-speed travel and internet networks would contribute to the economy long term, but the kind of programs he's thinking of are best used during a recession (ahem, Obama are you listening?), and upping military spending is just unnecessary.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: April 13, 2017, 04:53:05 PM »

Trump's kind of old and doesn't know anything about economics. Thinking back on his campaign- "we'll have so many jobs; we'll
Spend a lot on the military; we'll spend a lot on infrastructure," i can't help but think that the New Deal and post WWII boom are as far as his economic understanding goes

You might be being too generous here.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: April 14, 2017, 05:17:58 AM »

Does anyone else find it odd that mainstream media keep referring to Jared Kushner and Gary Cohn as moderates? I mean, they're not Bannonesque. But moderate?

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: April 14, 2017, 05:58:33 AM »

Whenever anyone is labeled as "moderate", I start looking for the rabid reactionary hiding under the word.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: April 14, 2017, 06:00:58 AM »

I have to admit stupidity on this: do you mean the person being named moderate is the rabid reactionary, or the person doing the naming?

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: April 14, 2017, 06:06:46 AM »

Does anyone else find it odd that mainstream media keep referring to Jared Kushner and Gary Cohn as moderates? I mean, they're not Bannonesque. But moderate?

Unfortunately, I don't see it as being that odd given ideological position usually expressed by the mainstream media.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:08:27 AM by Chocolate Shake Man » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: April 14, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »

I don't think I have much information regarding Kushner's actual opinion on almost anything.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: April 14, 2017, 09:45:41 AM »

Well, maybe on Chris Christie.  Grin

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #619 on: April 19, 2017, 09:53:47 AM »

I have to admit stupidity on this: do you mean the person being named moderate is the rabid reactionary, or the person doing the naming?
Let's keep it simple and say "both". See my signature.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:56:20 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 09, 2017, 06:30:51 PM »

Huh. Ratings will go up.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 10, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »

Just when you thought things couldn't get any crazier...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 10, 2017, 10:00:38 AM »

Taking renters yet? Sad

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 11, 2017, 04:09:02 PM »

I'm still trying to connect my jaw to the rest of my face.  This is beyond insanity in the WH.  No one seems to be pretending anymore.  Fun, huh?
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 11, 2017, 11:18:22 PM »

Surely even Trump's most hardened supporters can see this is a complete cluster f*** of gigantic proportions.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: