-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:06:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Politics: 2016 Lame Duck and 2017 New Administration
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Politics: 2016 Lame Duck and 2017 New Administration  (Read 252709 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 04:05:36 AM »

NPR reports Giuliani is leading choice for Sec of State. Now that is a terrible choice.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 05:51:14 AM »

Something is deeply wrong with that guy these days. The "america's mayor" days are long gone.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 06:05:24 AM »

He was given excess credit in the first place simply by being mayor of a place that was attacked. He's praised for his "response," but what precisely did he do? The 9/11 Commission Report actually faults him for not having been more ready for such a disaster.

And since his failed presidential bid, he did what several other former GOP candidates (McCain, Huckabee) have done, which is disown any previously moderate, aisle-crossing, or humane positions they'd previously taken in order to be corporate (Fox) partisan shills. It's barely hyperbole to say Giuliani has spoken in nothing but hateful hyperbole since 2008.

I might worry more about him at State or Justice than I do about Trump.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 06:11:48 AM »

Exactly right on the Commission report, he also insisted on putting the emergency command center in the WTC complex despite all other officials opposing it. The NYC response was crippled when the command center went down. These days, he has a strange look in his eye like he is about to have a breakdown as he talks fast as sh*t about Trump is king.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 06:16:56 AM »

By the way, I want to be clear that this isn't sour grapes. First, I wasn't a Clinton fan even though I did vote Clinton, and second, I respect the reality of the election: we'll have a Republican, and quite possibly some combination of hawkish and conservative administration. That's the deal. But there are smart, good people who fit those criteria. Then there is Giuliani.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 06:20:53 AM »

Agreed, and no Filleplage rants to say otherwise here! Cheesy

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 06:34:54 AM »

I welcome coherent, intelligent, honest debate.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 06:42:16 AM »

Bolton is a war hawk, but is still way more qualified for the job than Guilani.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 04:00:46 PM »

There's a 50-minute WSJ interview with Giuliani on youtube. He claims the US exit of Iraq was the worst decision in the history of the nation. "The way we exited Iraq was the worst decision in American history."

I think he's forgetting a few decisions. You know, little things ... slavery in the constitution, genocide of natives, Jim Crow, internment camps, dropping nukes, Vietnam, fucking illegally and stupidly invading Iraq in the first place...just little things like that.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »

Yes, Giuliani is way past his "sell by date."

Tonight, on the TCM network, the movie "The Candidate" will be shown.
Haven't seen it since it came out years ago, but remember Robert Redford's character's final line.
Wonder if Trump said that, or at least thought it:

"What do we do now?"

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2016, 05:49:17 AM »

NYT has a lead story today on what can only be described as the arrogant bungling of Trump's transition team. Obviously there's no love lost between the ultimate establishment publication and Trump, but their reporting is that the staff shakeups from Christie onward were score-settling by Kushner because Christie put his dad in jail. Foreign leaders have been unable to reach him, and he did his first conversations without State Dept briefings. Yesterday fmr (very conservative) State Dept official Eliot Cohen, who had previously called on conservatives to give him a chance, walked that back after meeting the transition team and said:

"Stay away. They're angry, arrogant, screaming 'you LOST.' Will be ugly."

Indeed.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2016, 06:41:00 AM »

Not good news Captain! Undecided

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2016, 07:13:53 AM »

Better than the rash of hate crimes around the mpls metro area this past week in the name of Trump. It seems for some, we're freed of this pesky "political correctness" that was stopping us from painting swastikas, dropping n-bombs, and roughing up preteen Muslim girls at middle school. Make America great again, you pieces of sh*t...*

*Should be obvious I'm not directly blaming the president-elect or nonviolent and ethical supporters of his. But if it wasn't, now it should be. If it still isn't, you're too dumb to be helped and I suspect you're enjoying your newfound liberation from PC with no shortage of n-bombs, yourself.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2016, 07:41:37 AM »

That is sickening, my brother said he has seen tons of trucks flying confederate flags and Trump stickers....

Make racial hate great again..... Roll Eyes

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2016, 04:02:52 PM »

My local congressman, Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) of the 5th district, has thrown his hat into the ring to seek the DNC Chair position. He has been backed so far by Sen. Sanders and Sen. Schumer. In that he's the first Muslim elected to Congress, I assume there will be plenty of silliness from Fox et al. (There is already a headline about "ties to Nation of Islam.") He has represented us since 2007 in a seat that hasn't gone Republican since the GOP's Walter Judd lost it in '63.

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea, actually. I'd prefer he focus on the business of legislating over party-building. Then again, as someone more committed to the business of party-destroying, I may not be the best guy to weigh in on that...

I wrote his office to weigh in against this. I don't anticipate a (real) response or to get my way, but I did make my voice heard. I like and have voted for Rep. Ellison with each election, but I do not believe it is appropriate for an elected representative--especially considering the time they all already spend campaigning and fundraising--to spend yet more of his time on national strategizing and fundraising for the party.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2016, 10:44:26 PM »

My local congressman, Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) of the 5th district, has thrown his hat into the ring to seek the DNC Chair position. He has been backed so far by Sen. Sanders and Sen. Schumer. In that he's the first Muslim elected to Congress, I assume there will be plenty of silliness from Fox et al. (There is already a headline about "ties to Nation of Islam.") He has represented us since 2007 in a seat that hasn't gone Republican since the GOP's Walter Judd lost it in '63.

I'm not sure how I feel about the idea, actually. I'd prefer he focus on the business of legislating over party-building. Then again, as someone more committed to the business of party-destroying, I may not be the best guy to weigh in on that...

I wrote his office to weigh in against this. I don't anticipate a (real) response or to get my way, but I did make my voice heard. I like and have voted for Rep. Ellison with each election, but I do not believe it is appropriate for an elected representative--especially considering the time they all already spend campaigning and fundraising--to spend yet more of his time on national strategizing and fundraising for the party.

Great analysis so far Luther! But Ellison won't have much legislating to do with Republicans controlling Congress.

Who would you rather see running the DNC? Certainly time for a housecleaning! 

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2016, 03:38:29 AM »

If the Democrats are going to have any success moderating some of the policies, it needs to be all hands on deck all the time. Being a minority is harder work than being a majority.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2016, 04:35:09 AM »

The lobbying ban would have teeth if it were that someone couldn't be a lobbyist for x years before joining the administration. As it is, it just adds a step for the onboarding process: file to withdraw your lobby registration.
As it is, it's just a show. Pence didn't get rid of his personal senior advisor, a lobbyist. He just filed his withdrawal papers yesterday.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2016, 04:45:27 AM »

I agree with Emily and disagree ORR (about legislating). I think that if the GOP is willing to allow any participation by the minority--and considering the typical midterm backlash from majorities that overplay their hands--the Democrats should absolutely do it. I think they should work on bills to make awful ones bad, bad ones mediocre, mediocre ones ok, and so on. They should give input at every opportunity. They should work to co-sponsor wherever they can, which could include infrastructure, maybe prison reform, addiction treatment programs, and anything else they may be able to find common ground on. And they should loudly and clearly tout their grown-up approach to being a minority party and the good aspects of bills they put forward so the people can understand what it is they do. If they waste time being obstructionist a la the GOP the past 8 years, I will be furious with them.

On that note, over to the DNC Chair. I think it was Slate that quoted Ellison as saying something like "we need to fight Trump at every turn." I hope that's either out of context or said in a moment of emotion, because I disagree entirely. I want a Democratic party that picks and chooses its fights wisely, not one that folds its arms over its chest and pouts for four years. Who do I want to be the DNC Chair? I don't know or care all that much, other than someone who is not a current member of Congress or elected official: those people have jobs to do. It could be a former, a la Howard Dean, who is running.

What I'd like the party to do is consider Minnesota's history: in this state, the Democratic party is actually the DFL: the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party, the result of a 1944 merger. What this allowed was a continued focus on precisely the demographics that the GOP owned this election (and recent elections) nationally, demographics who actually benefit from traditional Democratic positions but tend to be a bit more socially conservative. However, we've also maintained sufficient social liberalism probably through the urban core of the D in the DFL. The factions moderate one another somewhat, sure, but that's a compromise that is inevitable with diverse populations.

Granted, this time around, the outstate counties did vote Republican. But historically people from both parties have done well across this state, whether in farming country, mining country, logging country, the Duluth (shipping, etc.) area, the Twin Cities metro--everywhere. I'd like a DNC Chair who can remind Democrats that traditional Democratic economic policies are beneficial for the many, even while nudging those rural voters toward social liberalism through effective messaging.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2016, 04:54:09 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2016/11/16/if-trump-wants-to-close-lobbying-loopholes-ethics-lawyers-have-written-a-proposal-to-do-just-that/
This proposal proposes a ban on lobbyists registered within the last two (I think) years, which is a limit Obama imposed, though Obama only restricted lobbyists from the same industry they'd be representing. It also bans unregistered lobbyists.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2016, 05:15:59 AM »

Unfortunately any previous restrictions left loopholes so as to be irrelevant, a la Gingrich's lucrative stint as a "consultant." Thanks for the link, I'll read up.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2016, 11:41:57 AM »

Today's news seems mostly to be:

- J Kushner is meeting with attorneys to see whether he can get away with what on it's face seems a blatant violation of anti-nepotism law and fill a senior position. Reportedly his hope is that by taking no salary and putting the "newspaper" he runs (NY Observer, a sad, partisan rag), he can do it. Those steps seem irrelevant to the anti-nepotism law though, though I'm no lawyer...

- Gov Haley (R-SC) is being mentioned for a cabinet role--maybe State! While I don't see her as any more qualified than Giuliani because even her House experience was, committee-wise, based on domestic affairs, I'd certainly take her over Giuliani.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2016, 01:53:09 PM »

I agree with Emily and disagree ORR (about legislating). I think that if the GOP is willing to allow any participation by the minority--and considering the typical midterm backlash from majorities that overplay their hands--the Democrats should absolutely do it. I think they should work on bills to make awful ones bad, bad ones mediocre, mediocre ones ok, and so on. They should give input at every opportunity. They should work to co-sponsor wherever they can, which could include infrastructure, maybe prison reform, addiction treatment programs, and anything else they may be able to find common ground on. And they should loudly and clearly tout their grown-up approach to being a minority party and the good aspects of bills they put forward so the people can understand what it is they do. If they waste time being obstructionist a la the GOP the past 8 years, I will be furious with them.

On that note, over to the DNC Chair. I think it was Slate that quoted Ellison as saying something like "we need to fight Trump at every turn." I hope that's either out of context or said in a moment of emotion, because I disagree entirely. I want a Democratic party that picks and chooses its fights wisely, not one that folds its arms over its chest and pouts for four years. Who do I want to be the DNC Chair? I don't know or care all that much, other than someone who is not a current member of Congress or elected official: those people have jobs to do. It could be a former, a la Howard Dean, who is running.

What I'd like the party to do is consider Minnesota's history: in this state, the Democratic party is actually the DFL: the Democratic-Farmer-Labor party, the result of a 1944 merger. What this allowed was a continued focus on precisely the demographics that the GOP owned this election (and recent elections) nationally, demographics who actually benefit from traditional Democratic positions but tend to be a bit more socially conservative. However, we've also maintained sufficient social liberalism probably through the urban core of the D in the DFL. The factions moderate one another somewhat, sure, but that's a compromise that is inevitable with diverse populations.

Granted, this time around, the outstate counties did vote Republican. But historically people from both parties have done well across this state, whether in farming country, mining country, logging country, the Duluth (shipping, etc.) area, the Twin Cities metro--everywhere. I'd like a DNC Chair who can remind Democrats that traditional Democratic economic policies are beneficial for the many, even while nudging those rural voters toward social liberalism through effective messaging.

http://m.gazette.com/the-latest-pence-tells-house-gop-to-buckle-up/article/feed/422641

Buckle up for a breakneck pace says Mike Pence.  The House Democrats have little, if any, power. I mean, couldn't stop the Republicans voting to dismantle the ACA like 100 times.

Democrats in the House can give all the speeches they want but they have no power! They couldn't stop the endless Benghazi hearings (which we will never hear about again). If Ellison is the best person for the job, he ought to do it. We need all new blood! Peloci should also step aside.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2016, 02:56:17 PM »

I still think Democrats should work together with Republicans at every opportunity and promote the hell out of themselves as the grown-ups. Otherwise every criticism over the past 8 years was bullshit and they have no credibility left. Obviously things are going to go Republicans' way for at least two years. But sometimes what matters isn't how you handle winning, but how you handle losing.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »

Somehow this year various inaccurate notions about our political system became popular beliefs. One is that a party chair is a person of significant influence. The DNC doesn't set policy, choose candidates, or run campaigns. They are basically a fundraising clearing house. In non-presidential election years, that's basically it. In presidential campaign years, they do some scheduling and help the state parties coordinate with the presidential campaign. I think it's wasteful to put someone who is either popular and already has a job in the government, or who is skilled and already has a job using those skills in government, in a DNC role.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 32   Go Up
Print
Jump to: