gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:26:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does any photo exist of all nine (ten) principal Beach Boys together?  (Read 4806 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »

I doubt we can find a photo of all ten, that is, including Glen Campbell, but how about: Brian, Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al, Bruce, David, Blondie, and Ricky? I think there is one photo in David Leaf's book of eight of them, all except David (and Glen). But how about nine? That, I don't think ever has been taken.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 07:36:19 PM by GoogaMooga » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:15:28 PM »

Given that David was pretty much out of the picture from the mid-60s to the early-90s, I am almost certain there isn't. I don't think all nine have ever been in the same place at the same time.

Had David even met Blondie before the 2013 BAD tour?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:38:19 AM »

I don't think there's much of any picture of David with the BBs post-1963 and pre-1995 ish (whenever he did the Baywatch show where Carl was absent).

There may be an 80s or 90s pic of David playing with Mike's "Endless Summer" band, but I'm not sure.

For sure there's no known pic of David and Carl post-1963, which is odd considering Dave did pop up at an occasional BB show in the 80s and 90s.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 01:38:48 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »

Was Glen Campbell a "principal" member?

Also, don't think Brian is in that picture from 1972 that features Dennis, Carl, Mike, Al, Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky.

So I'd say the answer is that photo probably includes the most official Beach Boys in any photo, which is 7.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:05:39 AM by DonnyL » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 10:57:25 AM »

Wouldn't know about any other.

No, Campbell never was a member of the Beach Boys. He filled in for Brian but declined an offer to become a member of the band.

IIRC they both played as guests on a recording (unfortunately I don't remember which one) in the early 2000s and met then. Jon Stebbins surely knows more

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »

Missing Bruce:

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 11:29:50 AM »

Yes, that's why I wrote Glen C in brackets, wasn't sure of his status back then. All I know is he toured and was billed as a Beach Boy for six months after Brian's first nervous breakdown.

So seven is the most we can come up with. Strange that a band of such stature and importance, that they didn't think to capitalize on the number of members with more photo sessions, just the two informal photos discussed here, then.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 01:09:52 PM »

Missing Bruce:

Not only missing Bruce, but also Brian (minus beer can) was photoshopped in there. His picture comes from another, earlier shot that still had Bruce in the band

Alternate shot of the Boys:

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 01:20:52 PM »

Missing Bruce:

Not only missing Bruce, but also Brian (minus beer can) was photoshopped in there. His picture comes from another, earlier shot that still had Bruce in the band

Nice catch!  I've seen the picture with the beer can before, but never considered it was photoshopped onto the other. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »

Missing Bruce:

That beer can photo looks like the others were posing for a photo and Brian walked by, having gotten a beer from the fridge, and was told to stop and pose...so he posed for a second and then kept walking. The photo also made me sad because I've been reading his book.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 07:06:14 PM »

No, Campbell never was a member of the Beach Boys. He filled in for Brian but declined an offer to become a member of the band.

IIRC they both played as guests on a recording (unfortunately I don't remember which one) in the early 2000s and met then. Jon Stebbins surely knows more

Is there a better version of this picture?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 07:19:41 PM »

Missing Bruce:

Alternate shot of the Boys- I saw this picture being taken. Can't remember if it was before or after the bomb scare which cleared the stage and the venue.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 09:50:34 PM »

Sorry....what?
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 12:56:48 AM »

No, he filled in for Brian for 6 months when Brian was showing signs of not wanting to tour in the early '60s. However, when asked if he would like to be a permeant member of the band, he declined as he wanted to focus on his own music career.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 07:15:14 AM »

Ironically, it wasn't until 2006 (I believe) that the eventual C50/reunion configuration of the band was all photographed together (at the Capitol rooftop thing), and of course not until 2012 that that configuration actually performed on stage together.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 09:12:31 AM »

Sorry....what?

I think it was Lancaster, Pa. show in 1972 or so.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 10:43:45 AM »

Is there a better version of this picture?

Click on it

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »

Duh...Thanks! Roll Eyes
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 11:14:46 AM »

Sorry....what?

I think it was Lancaster, Pa. show in 1972 or so.

Never heard of this. Any other details OSD?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 11:21:36 AM »

Another interesting question is how many BB members have ever actually been in the same room at the same time (regardless of photographic evidence)?

I tend to think 7 is the most that would have ever happened, and even then, rarely.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 11:34:38 AM »

Were all the other six BBs present when Dave showed up during the "Surf's Up" sessions in 1971? That would be seven. But I don't know if all of them were there for the "Long Promised Road" session.

I dunno if eight were ever in the same room. It was technically possible if that seven-BB lineup on stage as shown in the pic above were ever in the studio with Brian.

Blondie recalled in a comment to Howie Edelson that his first BB session was "Student Demonstration Time." Dunno if Brian (or for that matter Ricky) were there during that session.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx