gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 07:02:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: List of Beach Boys managers  (Read 8927 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »

I have been search for a list of all their managers in chronilogical order starting with Murray and can't find one. I believe there was a section in the Beach Boys FAQ about this, but that book is in storage right now. So if anyone can list the managers here I would appreciate it.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:15:45 PM »

Ok this is what I know. I just need help filling in the blanks.

Murray Wilson (61-64)
?? (64-71)
Jack Reiley (71-73)
Jim Gercio (73-75??)
Stan Love?? I believe twice (73-74 and 76-78??)
Jerry Schilling (79-81???)

These are estimates from what I have heard/read before. If anyone can correct thes dates or fill in the gaps. As well as after Schilling.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
J.G. Dev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 01:35:47 PM »

Should be Steve Love, not Stan
Sound of Free
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 01:50:11 PM »

I'm not sure the exact time frame but Nick Grillo was the manager for a while in the late '60s. And briefly, and badly, in 1977, Henry Lazarus.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:51:47 PM by Sound of Free » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 01:52:14 PM »

I detailed this in my book but basically after firing Murray they were managed by currins and Cumming (can't recall if I am spelling that right). As road manager they hired dick duryea. Later on jack Lloyd also was a road manager. In 1969-70 Fred Vail acted in a quasi managerial role.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 02:28:10 PM »

I detailed this in my book but basically after firing Murray they were managed by currins and Cumming (can't recall if I am spelling that right). As road manager they hired dick duryea. Later on jack Lloyd also was a road manager. In 1969-70 Fred Vail acted in a quasi managerial role.

What is the title of your book? I may have it. Just not sure which you are referring to.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:28:46 PM »

Should be Steve Love, not Stan

I get those two mixed up. Razz

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 05:49:52 PM »

The Beach Boys in concert. Page 37 mentions replacement for Murray.  Correct name is cummins and currant.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 07:18:24 PM »

Jim Guercio (73-75??)

FTFY

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 09:58:56 AM »

Nick Grillo?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 10:58:47 AM »

Elliot Lott
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »

Tom Hullett managed the group in the 80's, simultaneous with and after Schilling. Elliott Lott was the group's road manager, then ascended to group manager and President of BRI in the late 80's and to this day.  Matt Shepard served as the group's road manager from the late 80's until around 1997.  Matt was real good guy, taking care of longtime BB fans with backstage access. He was forced to leave the band due to health issues and unfortunately succumbed  to cancer near the same time Carl did. Cancer has taken many people in BB world.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 05:54:14 PM »

I think there was a guy named Chaz, don't remember his last name, that managed the group on the road in and around the year 1990. Anybody know who I'm talking about?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 08:16:10 AM »

Chaz Yost, was the asst road manager to Matt Shepard and took over after Matt left.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 09:15:48 AM »

It's interesting how some managers have a very up front roll while others seem to be in the background. I think their two most noted managers are Murray, Jim Gercio and Jack Reiley getting involved more in the music itself. While others stick to road, money managing or PR stuff.

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2016, 09:06:16 AM »

Anyone know if Dick Duryea was related to Peter Durya, an actor who appeared on Star Trek and Dragnet? His father Dan was also an actor.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2016, 12:31:42 PM »

Elliott Lott was the group's road manager, then ascended to group manager and President of BRI in the late 80's and to this day. 

I assumed this relatively recently as well, but apparently Elliott Lott is no longer managing BRI and hasn't for some time.

I think Ross Schwartz is the name from BRI that has appeared on more recent releases like the "Party" 2-CD set as the "For Brother Records" credit in the liner notes (where Lott's name used to appear).

Not sure who is running things presently, if anyone. Can someone with one of this year's "Pet Sounds" reissues say if Schwartz's name still appears on that?

Either way, I'm not sure who's running BRI at the moment. It often seems like nobody.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »

Hmm, so it appears.  He is now (and apparently has been for some time) owner of Boulder Creek Entertainment, which manages... The Beach Boys. His FB profile states that he is President of Boulder Creek Entertainment/BRI.  Who knows.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx