gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:54:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Razor & Tie Greatest Hits set.  (Read 2533 times)
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2016, 06:08:09 AM »

Found this at a library in great shape yesterday. Any opinions on it? I've heard that it's the best sounding Beach Boys CD.\

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MVBYB4
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 06:12:01 AM by wingsoveramerica » Logged

Jon G.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »

Check if it's a Steve Hoffman remaster, he worked for Razor & Tie, and his CDs sound best.
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 12:13:32 PM »

Check if it's a Steve Hoffman remaster, he worked for Razor & Tie, and his CDs sound best.

It is. And the sound quality blew my mind!

Jon G.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 07:12:25 AM »

I don't know that it's categorically the best sounding BB CD around, but it is the most obscure of Steve Hoffman's remasterings of BB material, and Hoffman's work on the BB catalog is always excellent.

It obviously shares a lot of the same tracks he did on "Endless Summer", "Spirit of America", and "Pet Sounds", but I think there are still some tracks on that set that are unique and only way to get Hoffman-mastered versions, mainly "Little Saint Nick" and the latter portion of Disc Two, the post-1966 stuff.

It appears the bottom has partially fallen out of the collectible market for old audiophile CD pressings (DCC, MFSL, etc.) in the last 5-7 years due to downloadable (and physical media) high-rez releases, and I'm sure other factors. So I don't know how valuable this set actually is.

I know part of the novelty of tracking this particular set down is that it has the most generic title imaginable, generic cover art, and online vendors could easily have some other CD titled "Greatest Hits."

But yeah, this is a cool find and I know at least 7-10 years ago a lot of folks on the Hoffman board considered it a tiny bit of a holy grail as far as Hoffman's BB work.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 06:27:28 AM »

I don't know that it's categorically the best sounding BB CD around, but it is the most obscure of Steve Hoffman's remasterings of BB material, and Hoffman's work on the BB catalog is always excellent.

It obviously shares a lot of the same tracks he did on "Endless Summer", "Spirit of America", and "Pet Sounds", but I think there are still some tracks on that set that are unique and only way to get Hoffman-mastered versions, mainly "Little Saint Nick" and the latter portion of Disc Two, the post-1966 stuff.

It appears the bottom has partially fallen out of the collectible market for old audiophile CD pressings (DCC, MFSL, etc.) in the last 5-7 years due to downloadable (and physical media) high-rez releases, and I'm sure other factors. So I don't know how valuable this set actually is.

I know part of the novelty of tracking this particular set down is that it has the most generic title imaginable, generic cover art, and online vendors could easily have some other CD titled "Greatest Hits."

But yeah, this is a cool find and I know at least 7-10 years ago a lot of folks on the Hoffman board considered it a tiny bit of a holy grail as far as Hoffman's BB work.

It's pretty rare from what I've seen. Doesn't appear for sale that often. Normally goes up for $150-250.

Jon G.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx