gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Were any BB landmarks captured on film in vintage Los Angeles footage?  (Read 6253 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2016, 11:24:59 PM »

I'm a junkie of watching old 1960s and 1970s television shows and movies. I keep wondering if one day I will see a brief glimpse of The Radiant Radish in the background of some Adam-12 rear projection footage of driving around Hollywood…  or perhaps Ponch and Jon passing by Brother Studios in Santa Monica in a CHiPs episode. Wishful thinking? Or is it possible?

I would venture to guess that at the very least, some of the recording studios that the band recorded at in Hollywood were seen in various movies and such of the era.

Does anyone have any kind of guess as to what types of places might have been filmed back in the day?

It is fascinating to think about how much media there might still be somewhere in a storage vault, or even in somebody's photo album, where one of these places was randomly documented decades ago.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:25:33 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 03:38:28 PM »

<<in the background of some Adam-12 rear projection footage of driving around Hollywood…  or perhaps Ponch and Jon passing by Brother Studios in Santa Monica in a CHiPs episode. Wishful thinking? Or is it possible?>>

Actually, those shows rarely used rear projection.  Most of the time they did actually drive-bys with camera mounts for the car interiors.  Adam 12 did a lot of their car interiors driving up and down Cahuenga Blvd. in North Hollywood, bordering Burbank, as well as some Toluca Lake shots.  They usually combined these in earlier seasons with neighborhood sets on the Universal lot.  A lot more freeway stuff in Chips, as I recall.

After the Dukes of Hazzard moved from Georgia to Burbank in the middle of the first season, they shot a lot around Newhall, Santa Clarita and Placerita Canyon.  Ahd they also did a lot of rear or side projection during car chases.

One of the best vintage shows I've seen for 1960s Hollywood is HONEY WEST... but a lot of those shows were based at studios and used the backlots almost exclusively.  For example, MAN FROM UNCLE was a globe-hobbing series but rarely left the MGM backlot, except for occasional chase scenes on Mulholland or in Griffith Park.

The Peter Sellers film I LOVE YOU ALICE B TOKLAS has sequences in the valley, in Culver City, on Sunset Blvd at night, at Venice Beach and at Leo Carillo Beach (which is also where the Beach Party films were shot - as well as Paradise Cove).

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »

<<in the background of some Adam-12 rear projection footage of driving around Hollywood…  or perhaps Ponch and Jon passing by Brother Studios in Santa Monica in a CHiPs episode. Wishful thinking? Or is it possible?>>

Actually, those shows rarely used rear projection.  Most of the time they did actually drive-bys with camera mounts for the car interiors.  Adam 12 did a lot of their car interiors driving up and down Cahuenga Blvd. in North Hollywood, bordering Burbank, as well as some Toluca Lake shots.  They usually combined these in earlier seasons with neighborhood sets on the Universal lot.  A lot more freeway stuff in Chips, as I recall.

After the Dukes of Hazzard moved from Georgia to Burbank in the middle of the first season, they shot a lot around Newhall, Santa Clarita and Placerita Canyon.  Ahd they also did a lot of rear or side projection during car chases.

One of the best vintage shows I've seen for 1960s Hollywood is HONEY WEST... but a lot of those shows were based at studios and used the backlots almost exclusively.  For example, MAN FROM UNCLE was a globe-hobbing series but rarely left the MGM backlot, except for occasional chase scenes on Mulholland or in Griffith Park.

The Peter Sellers film I LOVE YOU ALICE B TOKLAS has sequences in the valley, in Culver City, on Sunset Blvd at night, at Venice Beach and at Leo Carillo Beach (which is also where the Beach Party films were shot - as well as Paradise Cove).

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I will have to check out Honey West. I do know that The FBI, for one, used plenty of rear projection shots when driving.

I still hold out hope that one day I'll see someplace familiar in one of those shots, and BB landmarks rank high on the wishlist! I can dream, even if it's unlikely...

Probably a more likely scenario, other than footage shot for a TV show/movie, is that a place like The Radiant Radish was captured in somebody's home movies of LA, or in a photo somewhere. Now actually finding anything like that would be like finding a needle in a haystack, but I still think it's possible.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:43:19 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 06:52:21 PM »

There's some L.A. shots in Batman and the Monkees tv show.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 07:33:11 PM »

Was Dragnet filmed on location or on studio backlots? If it was filmed on location I imagine it would have a lot of LA footage from that time period.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 07:38:45 PM »

Was Dragnet filmed on location or on studio backlots? If it was filmed on location I imagine it would have a lot of LA footage from that time period.

Dragnet was definitely filmed with some on location LA footage, as well as some rear projection LA footage for driving shots.

Does anyone know the timeframe that the Radiant Radish was in business?  I wonder what was there directly before and after it.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 07:52:16 PM »

Dragnet was definitely filmed with some on location LA footage, as well as some rear projection LA footage for driving shots.

Does anyone know the timeframe that the Radiant Radish was in business?  I wonder what was there directly before and after it.

It was open from 1969-1971.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 11:22:33 AM »

Los Angeles in 1957, 40 acres lot....cool video
http://youtu.be/zPLhQl9ZLrM

The dukes of hazard was shot in covington/ conyers, GA i know those locations (in the heat of the night show fan Grin)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:24:14 AM by SurfRapGrungeFiend » Logged

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »

That is so rad. Imagine if somewhere, rotting away in some archival vault, there is some footage/photos of the Wilson childhood home, The Radiant Radish, etc.

Here's a question: before the Wilson childhood home was torn down by the city to build the freeway, I assume there had to be photos taken by the city, as an internal case study analysis, where they determined which buildings would fall victim to the wrecking ball. I wonder if there are such photos in existence, maybe on microfiche in a city archive? I'm pretty sure I've seen similar types of pics on the Santa Monica public library website, where there were numerous photos of homes that were being surveyed for demolition.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »

<<The dukes of hazard was shot in covington/ conyers, GA i know those locations (in the heat of the night show fan Grin)>>

Dukes was shot in Georgia for the first five episodes of season 1 only.

For the rest of the series, Warner Brothers moved them to the Burbank lot, with location work in Valencia, Santa Clarita and Placerita Canyon.
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 04:42:56 PM »

Really didnt know that i always thought it was completely shot in the south

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 04:55:02 PM »

That is so rad. Imagine if somewhere, rotting away in some archival vault, there is some footage/photos of the Wilson childhood home, The Radiant Radish, etc.

Here's a question: before the Wilson childhood home was torn down by the city to build the freeway, I assume there had to be photos taken by the city, as an internal case study analysis, where they determined which buildings would fall victim to the wrecking ball. I wonder if there are such photos in existence, maybe on microfiche in a city archive? I'm pretty sure I've seen similar types of pics on the Santa Monica public library website, where there were numerous photos of homes that were being surveyed for demolition.

Im sure there is, you could try public domain, the local paper clsest to the old wilson home Or you could always ask brian himself especially about the radiant radish theres two pics ive seen online of brian in the store and an outside shot of the store. He probably

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 05:24:38 PM »

The shots of Brian at the Radiant Radish were taken by Annie Liebowitz for the summer 1971 Rolling Stone two-part piece.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 05:47:14 PM »

If you poke around Youtube you can find lots of really nifty vintage footage of LA and other cities:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LpPKAhW9-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrocOEGXrs0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy1724FSgHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzmG--w4CzY

Lots more if you search around.
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 02:34:44 PM »

I tried a location search in IMDb on "bellagio" and got 32 hits.  See http://www.imdb.com/search/text?realm=title&field=locations&q=bellagio.

A search on "hawthorne" (http://www.imdb.com/search/text?realm=title&field=locations&q=hawthorne) got me 189 hits.

I went to Advanced Search, which took me to a Title Text Search.  I selected "Filming Locations" from the drop-down menu.

The Rockford Files (1974-80) did a lot of location shooting around greater Los Angeles, mostly of James Garner driving a copper Firebird.  I'm sure others will think of movies and TV shows that we haven't yet.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 07:20:13 PM »

I'm a big fan and aficionado of this vintage footage too, especially LA in the 60's.

If you haven't already or if no one mentioned it yet, check "Vintage Los Angeles", the FB page and group run by Alison Martino. She often posts film clips and stock footage like this, driving through LA in the 60's, etc.

And some of the clips posted on VLA are indeed TV and film crew raw cuts, which they'd edit into packages for TV and film use. There is one where the film car almost gets into an accident during filming, if it's not been posted already I'll have to see if I can find it. But that was a real trip.

Check said footage for one of the Strip in '66, and you'll see a color shot taken by the film car of Pandora's Box when it was still there. For more Pandora's Box footage, check The Turtles promo film for Happy Together and it's all there, pre-"riot" fire.

Don't forget the teen B-movies and others like them. Riot On Sunset Strip has some authentic footage mixed with the staged, and films like "It's A Bikini World" have ***terrific*** driving through LA scenes.

One all time favorite with a BW connection: Lee Marvin in "Point Blank" walking through the terminal at LAX, filmed in '66, with the color tiles and artwork prominently on display. This was shot at almost the same time frame when Brian had the famous Smile group photo taken in that same terminal at LAX, if I could pin down the exact date when Marvin filmed his walk there in '66, it would be cool but I haven't seen anything yet. But the art on the walls is exactly as seen in the BW Smile photos.

"Walker!!!!" (Point Blank film reference there...)

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »

One all time favorite with a BW connection: Lee Marvin in "Point Blank" walking through the terminal at LAX, filmed in '66, with the color tiles and artwork prominently on display. This was shot at almost the same time frame when Brian had the famous Smile group photo taken in that same terminal at LAX, if I could pin down the exact date when Marvin filmed his walk there in '66, it would be cool but I haven't seen anything yet. But the art on the walls is exactly as seen in the BW Smile photos.>>

With a release date in August of 1967, Point Blank had to have been shot in the late fall of 1966... Lee had already wrapped production of the Dirty Dozen the same year.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 07:11:58 PM »

For anyone who's a fan of odd cult films, especially ones that involve rock music and the late '60s, there's a film that is truly an awesomely odd, yet rad nugget to check out: The Phynx (released in 1970, apparently shot in 1969).  It's on DVD from Warner Archive.

Having recently watched it, there's an amazing parody character of Phil Spector (a character named Philbaby), and there's an entire sequence where he is producing a band at a studio - at a location I'm not positive of. Can anyone ID this studio from these screengrabs? I'm certain this is where The BBs recorded some material. I was thinking United Western Recorders, but I'm not certain.

I wonder if any of the tape machines, mics, etc pictured were used on BB songs.

Does anyone think it's the same studio as the top photo of Brian?

« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:12:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 07:15:15 PM »

For anyone who's a fan of odd cult films, especially ones that involve rock music and the late '60s, there's a film that is truly an awesomely odd, yet rad nugget to check out: The Phynx (released in 1970, apparently shot in 1969).  It's on DVD from Warner Archive.

Having recently watched it, there's an amazing parody character of Phil Spector (a character named Philbaby), and there's an entire sequence where he is producing a band at a studio - at a location I'm not positive of. Can anyone ID this studio from these screengrabs? I'm certain this is where The BBs recorded some material. I was thinking United Western Recorders, but I'm not certain.

I wonder if any of the tape machines, mics, etc pictured were used on BB songs.

Does anyone think it's the same studio as the top photo of Brian?

Brian is shown at Columbia. The shots from the film look like Gold Star, especially the board and the housing where the board is located.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 07:18:18 PM »

Or...United/Western? Damn, I lost my eye for ID'ing that kind of thing.  Smiley

The shot of the guy in the yellow sweater looks like the background has a wood paneling from a United/Western control room.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 07:21:41 PM »

I got it! That is Western Studio 1. The design in the tiles of that floor matches photos from Western 1 in roughly the same era.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »

I got it! That is Western Studio 1. The design in the tiles of that floor matches photos from Western 1 in roughly the same era.

Shown here:

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 07:25:55 PM »

Shown here:

And...here is Chuck Britz manning that same board, Western 1:

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »

Shown here:

And...here is Chuck Britz manning that same board, Western 1:

Dude… That is so awesome. I appreciate the detective work! I can't recommend this film highly enough, it's not a great film per se, but truly a curio that deserves watching.  It's got a million cameos, including James Brown, Dick Clark, not to mention the actual Colonel Sanders!  I bet Brian would've gotten a kick out of it if he had seen it back in the day,  if only for the Phil Spector parody.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 07:28:37 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 07:37:14 PM »

Thank you for the tip! I didn't even know this film existed, but I will DEFINITELY be seeking it out to watch it. I love anything from that era, my favorite era in film (64-74 roughly), but add in actual location shots taken at Western like that back in the golden age, I'm sold. It's the kind of film I look for. Thanks again for the tip!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx