gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680719 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 05:09:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stephen Desper Talks Early 70s Touring.  (Read 4932 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2016, 01:45:48 PM »

Hopefully with any political content now removed. An interesting time for the group with a lower profile and smaller venues.

COMMENT

Back then; we had two identical sound systems, each capable of entertaining up to 20,000 people, but usually the crowds were from 5,000 to 10,000.  System-one would be setup in city one. The show would start in early afternoon on a weekend. System-two would be setup in city two. We had two sound crews, one for each system, and I would travel with the Beach Boys and mix their show or the last two acts, usually the second act was also a main-line name band. While the Boys were performing in city one, a local band would start the show in city two using system-two. As soon as the show in city one ended, the crew would break down system-one and moved it to city three. Cities in the eastern US are relatively close together so travel time was around two hours. System-one would be moved to city three. Meanwhile as the show in city one would unfold, and the show in city two was in-progress with local bands, the support group (usually a well known group itself) would leave for city two as soon as their part of the show in city one ended. They would arrive at city two about the time the local group had played for an hour, and went right on stage using system-two. Someone from the crew for system-two would mix their set. As soon as the Boys finished in city one, they rushed to city two, arriving about the time the support act was to finish. With enough time to change into performance clothes, they would then go right out on the stage. I would head to the mixing board. Meanwhile the crew of system-one was now in city three setting up for an evening show. The local band would start the evening show in city three with a locally rented sound system allowing the crew to setup the Beach Boy system-two while the show was proceeding. When the show in city two pealed off each act, they would proceed to city three where system-two was now setup and working. Sometimes, the support act would be on stage as the Beach Boys were in route. Depending on traffic their act would be extended if needed to cover for any lateness of the Boys.

We did this for two months. Shows in the western US were limited to two per day because of the travel distances between major cities, but otherwise it was the same leapfrog schedule.

[/size]
~SWD  

Probably a silly question but what 2 month period in the 70s was this?  I only knew of the multiple 4th of July dates.

COMMENT to Pretty Funky:
That was during the end of Sunflower and the start of production on Surf's Up.  Around that time. One tour was around a month and a half, then followed tours of several weeks -- interrupting work on Surf's Up several times. The organization was running low on operating funds, so the tour crammed as many dates into the schedule as humanly possible. From what I understood in speaking with Nick Grillo, their manager back then, the tour was a financial success and this success was able to payoff much debt plus fund operations for some time -- well into Holland -- which, by the way, practically broke the bank. ~swd

Stephen, this does sound rather exhausting. Is that why it went on for only two months? For roughly how much time did the Beach Boys perform, given this tight schedule?
COMMENT to Custom Machine:  They did a 45 minute set on the first two shows and an hour on the last show, usually with the support band charming in with the Boys on a couple of songs to finish the show's one or two encores. Standing ovations every time.  Ticket prices were cheaper for the earlier shows and higher for the evening venue. By the way, the guitars and ribbon Theremin were carried by each player from show to show. Dennis' drums and Bruce's Hammond organ were duplicated, but obviously not carried from show to show, rather rented at each city. Believe it or not, I had little problems with the sound equipment, usually cable failure was the only culprit. I spent many nights re-soldering cable connectors in my hotel room during those tours. We were all 50 years younger then with energy to burn. Still I look back on the entire time in amazement -- how the hell did we do all that? ~swd  

Thanks for the reply. I think I recall some pictures of an exhausted group in some diner about that period. Perhaps it was that tour.
COMMENT to Pretty Funky:  Perhaps it was. Eating was a big problem -- especially in the southern states. Remember, it was a different time. Pre-Beatle or so. No Internet, only three TV networks, and a lot of bias in the south. Everyone had long hair -- like a woman!  Oh my!  Late at night after a show in some smaller towns -- looking for any open café or restaurant. Here comes a crowd of musicians and roadies, long hair, some beards, funny clothes.  "We don't serve people like you here" was the greeting about half the time. or "We are now closed" was another excuse. "You're the Beach who?" Funny how $$money$$ can over-ride bigoted feelings, if necessary. Many times that was the only way we could eat dinner -- at three or four times the normal cost. And up front payment. Sometimes you could only get food to-go, even though there were plenty of empty tables. It was a real problem. I, and I know the Boys, have great understanding and sympathy for anyone who is mis-treated, mal-treated, poorly-treated, or unjustly-treated. I all relates back to those first-hand attempts to get a meal late at nightDiscrimination is a hard pill to swallow..  ~swd
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:46:42 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »

Thank you PF

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 02:07:53 PM »

Damn I wish I could find those diner pictures. They really showed the realities of touring life at the time.
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 02:26:26 PM »

Now that's a nice topic!!!
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 02:28:16 PM »

Were there
 any times that The Boys missed the second or third show due to travel delays ?
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:52:20 PM »

Thanks PF!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »

Let's raise Mr. Funky & throw in the air. Thanks for cut-paste. 3D Btw, Mr. Rider, thanks for bringing positivity to the other thread as reminder that we respect Mr. Desper. Now carry with this topic.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 09:19:07 PM »

PLEASE COME BACK STEPHEN

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 09:26:10 PM »

Let's raise Mr. Funky & throw in the air. Thanks for cut-paste. 3D Btw, Mr. Rider, thanks for bringing positivity to the other thread as reminder that we respect Mr. Desper. Now carry with this topic.

Thanks RR! Stephen was the unheralded George Martin of the Beach Boys!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 09:27:33 PM »

Who would be the George R.R. Martin of the Beach Boys, though?

:D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 09:37:46 PM »

Who would be the George R.R. Martin of the Beach Boys, though?

:D

James S. Hirsch?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »

Nah, probably Greenman. Game of Thrones rules.  Hirsch would be the, uh...Dean Koontz?

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 08:41:08 AM »

I can remember at shows in the late 70s... 77-79... the mix sounded off, or muddled, on the first two to three songs.... California Girls... Sloop John B... things would finally start to mesh around Darlin' or Little Deuce Coupe (77 tour) and Shortnin' Bread (79 tour).  These were at a mix of venues... Mississippi River Festival, Champaign-Urbana arena (indoor), SIU Arena... it sounded as if the mix was being done on the fly, without benefit of sound check.
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »

Very true statement there. I always thought that also. Tapes of shows from that era kind of prove your point also.

For the ip hounds...I'm visiting the dorph today and on his wifi. Don't blame him.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 11:34:17 AM »

For the ip hounds...I'm visiting the dorph today and on his wifi. Don't blame him.

This garbage again?

WestCoastSurf
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »

I can remember at shows in the late 70s... 77-79... the mix sounded off, or muddled, on the first two to three songs.... California Girls... Sloop John B... things would finally start to mesh around Darlin' or Little Deuce Coupe (77 tour) and Shortnin' Bread (79 tour).  These were at a mix of venues... Mississippi River Festival, Champaign-Urbana arena (indoor), SIU Arena... it sounded as if the mix was being done on the fly, without benefit of sound check.
That was how I heard it too. When Desper left with Zappa in the early 70s the sound went south. Think they used local mixers after that.
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2016, 04:59:49 AM »

Thanks for that, PF!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx