gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 11:03:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5 Years Ago - "The Smile Sessions  (Read 7197 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2016, 09:03:46 AM »

More dumb-ass comments from mikesthegreatest. Gee, I guess you're not a Brian Wilson fan. I mean, how do you come to the Beach Boys and you're not a Brian Wilson fan? It's like saying you love America and then voting for trump. By the way,mikesthegreatest  what?

:D

Excepting GIOMH, his career was not foundering.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2016, 09:04:14 AM »

It's just more of the usual attempts to throw dirt on one of the best things fans of Brian and of Smile going back decades got to witness. It was the impossible actually happening in front of us.

I'll say it upfront - I'm biased as hell about Smile. And I wear it proudly on my sleeve. I was glued to the computer screen as others who couldn't make the trip to the UK were the night of the RFH debut reading as Matt B and others started sending back reports from the show. I sat in stunned silence when I finally got a chance to hear a tape of that show. I had tears running down my face as the preview tracks from the BWPS album started appearing in low mp3 quality and the pure power of something like In Blue Hawaii came across the speakers. And I had an incredible experience getting to see the show live in Boston when the tour hit the east coast of the US.

Again, the history rewrites will fail as long as people who were there can speak about how things really were.

Word up GF, good times. For some reason I keep feeling  compelled to post this link and invite Smiles to walk down memory lane:
http://earcandy_mag.tripod.com/smileliveRFH2-21-04.htm

Self-indulgent but it makes me smile. ..
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2016, 04:26:57 AM »

Love the SMiLE Sessions.

I like the sounds in Dada sessions and Tune-X.
Tune-X is very underestimated in my opinion!

Vale
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 04:28:17 AM by Vale » Logged

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
The Cool One
Smiley Smile Associate

WOW

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »

Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro Afro
2017 will be 50th anniversary of smile. I´m waiting a realase of smile like the one of Pet Sounds.

While we watch the wonderfuls experiments of Leetwall97 that is discovering the posible sound of 1967.

Of course we can't forget the great mix of soniclovenoize and his long story of he discovering the posible order of smile.

had to publish all his smile idea for the 1967 album. not the nosense version that he realased for 2004 that influenced smile sessions.

for 2017, Smile in 1967 style (I hope they recover I Ran Vocal sessions, and we discover CHIFOTM Lyrics, and where fits Tune X).

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 10:08:40 PM »

More dumb-ass comments from mikesthegreatest. Gee, I guess you're not a Brian Wilson fan. I mean, how do you come to the Beach Boys and you're not a Brian Wilson fan? It's like saying you love America and then voting for trump. By the way,mikesthegreatest  what?

:D

Excepting GIOMH, his career was not foundering.
None of Brian's solo albums exactly set the charts on fire. Where he had success was as a live act, doing the old Beach Boys hits.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »

SMiLE will always remain an exercise in imagination--it captures the glories and the risks of art unfettered by commerce. That's why it bothered Mike so much, even as he gamely sang VDP's lyrics to "Cabinessence." Fifty years later, we have a world struggling not to destroy itself before it can reach its true potential--and SMiLE, like the little children it celebrates, shows us the way by having survived to still remain lost and found in a meadow filled with rain--tears of joy for what the Earth might still become.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »

Through the generosity of friends, I was able to attend the numerous performances of Brian Wilson Presents Smile on the occasion of its debut in London. I got to hear at least 8 performances then and again in Portland with Bob Hanes in 2005. The experience of hearing it at the debut is an experience I will never forget.

I was also able to work on the 2011 Smile Box, and wrote an essay for the book issued with the set. Domenic Priore also did a great article for the 2cd box and the deluxe box. The Smile music as cut in 67 and modified in 2003 is for me a peak in Brian's creativity. Most professional musicians in bands that I know see Smile as a unique and diverse burst of creativity that is unmatched in pop music annals.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 09:14:06 PM by Peter Reum » Logged

If it runs amuck, call the duck
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2016, 05:03:55 AM »

It's just more of the usual attempts to throw dirt on one of the best things fans of Brian and of Smile going back decades got to witness. It was the impossible actually happening in front of us.

I'll say it upfront - I'm biased as hell about Smile. And I wear it proudly on my sleeve. I was glued to the computer screen as others who couldn't make the trip to the UK were the night of the RFH debut reading as Matt B and others started sending back reports from the show. I sat in stunned silence when I finally got a chance to hear a tape of that show. I had tears running down my face as the preview tracks from the BWPS album started appearing in low mp3 quality and the pure power of something like In Blue Hawaii came across the speakers. And I had an incredible experience getting to see the show live in Boston when the tour hit the east coast of the US.

Again, the history rewrites will fail as long as people who were there can speak about how things really were.

Word up GF, good times. For some reason I keep feeling  compelled to post this link and invite Smiles to walk down memory lane:
http://earcandy_mag.tripod.com/smileliveRFH2-21-04.htm

Self-indulgent but it makes me smile. ..
Fantastic review! I missed it at the time, ty so much for reposting! Smiley

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2016, 05:05:13 AM »

Through the generosity of friends, I was able to attend the numerous performances of Brian Wilson Presents Smile on the occasion of its debut in London. I got to hear at least 8 performances then and again in Portland with Bob Hanes in 2005. The experience of hearing it at the debut is an experience I will never forget.

I was also able to work on the 2011 Smile Box, and wrote an essay for the book issued with the set. Domenic Priore also did a great article for the 2cd box and the deluxe box. The Smile music as cut in 67 and modified in 2003 is for me a peak in Brian's creativity. Most professional musicians in bands that I know see Smile as a unique and diverse burst of creativity that is unmatched in pop music annals.
Sorry if I am repeating myself, but sometimes I think Smile is the best music ever.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 05:06:50 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Mooger Fooger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2016, 06:18:26 AM »

Oh man, this has me recalling the night of the Debut show in London. I couldn't make it, due to a relationship ending shortly before and I missed my window into getting tickets, so I, like alot of people sat huddled around my PC hitting the page refresh button every 30 seconds. I had Orange Crate Art playing in the background. I remember vividly how at the time several Smileshop members had not visited the board for a while, but on that night they were all onboard waiting for the first reports. I remember looking at my watch wondering what was happening at the venue right now. Then roughly 1 hour after the show should have ended (IIRC) we got the first exhuberant reports. The main questions were what was the song order and how did they link together. Hearing that Good Vibrations closed it was a revelation, as was the Wonderful/Look/Child sequence of the life suite.

I got my chance to see it live in Frankfurt a few weeks later, and then in Antwerp where I had the fortune of meeting Brian.

That was the moment for me.

I also recall when the CD came out in September, and playing it first followed by Sgt Peppers and remarking how it fit there. I will always have a special place for BWPS, and as a finished end product I prefer to listen to it rather than the mixed sessions. It breathes life.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:19:33 AM by Mooger Fooger » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx