gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:44:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 5 Years Ago - "The Smile Sessions  (Read 7169 times)
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2016, 01:18:46 PM »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/beach-boys-smile-sessions/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »

A halcyon time on these boards! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:00:31 PM »

Was at the record store last weekend and the 180 gram vinyl of the smile sessions was right at the register next to metallicas collectors edition vinyl ride the lightning

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:12:18 PM »

Oh ya.  Oh ya.  But, OH-SO oddly enough as it turned out,  BWPS came first...12 years ago.  W/O it?  This post would not exist.  And W/O certain belly aching and pining for the fjords [the early 60s] the album would have been finished and released in 1967 and THIS post/topic would not exist at all.

BUT... ... ... ... ...  Roll Eyes

Thankfully in spite of the spiteful...we have it.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 07:41:41 PM »

Man, it's hard to believe it's been 5 years.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:02:24 PM »

I like The Smile Sessions. Brian presents Smile singing with great band but they're not substitute for the BBs imo. I like those vintage vocals.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 01:24:31 PM »

I like The Smile Sessions. Brian presents Smile singing with great band but they're not substitute for the BBs imo. I like those vintage vocals.

I found BWPS to be almost totally unlistenable.  I took it for what it was, a Hail Mary attempt to save a foundering solo career.  In that respect, it worked fairly well.  It didn't touch Smile either instrumentally or vocally....
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 01:31:35 PM »

I heard BWPS first, and I thought that a lot of it had to have been newly created-- this stuff was just too wacky to have been put on tape in the 60s, I thought. I never listened to any boots, so when the Smile box arrived in the mail, I was floored. "Really?! They recorded this amazing music and didn't release it?!"

Loved that box, although I don't listen to Smile much anymore. But that first night, alone with my box set and the candles and Reddi-Whip, was a magical experience  3D
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 03:18:24 AM »

Still love my deluxe box set. It's been a while since I last opened it mind... Afro
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »

Definitely. The Smile Sessions, MIC, the 2012 tour, and TWGMTR. It was a beautiful time to be a Beach Boys fan.  Smiley

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »

I found BWPS to be almost totally unlistenable.  I took it for what it was, a Hail Mary attempt to save a foundering solo career.  In that respect, it worked fairly well.  It didn't touch Smile either instrumentally or vocally....

Despite the fact that it was never gonna touch the original... you gotta admit that it was as good as a newly-recorded-in-2004 version possibility could have been. One can argue whether it should have been done it all, etc (I think it was a weight off Brian's back, so more power to him for doing it), but I was then, and remain now, in awe of how closely they came to replicating the original backing tracks... not to mention the vocals being a big step up for Brian at the time.

Some may dislike some of the vocal additions (I'm not crazy about the "hot as hell" lyric), but other than that, I honestly cannot conceive that anyone could say that a version recorded in 2004 could possibly have sounded better. It was quite impressive.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 11:17:57 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2016, 11:42:09 AM »

I don't think anything beats original 60s BB group vocals (and leads of course too).

But that moment when "Wonderful" links into "Look" on the 2004 album, *that alone* is worth the whole project happening.

I don't think the 2004 album is perfect. But c'mon, even the sometimes cranky Robert Christgau gave the 2004 album a freaking A+! Here's his capsule review:

SMiLE [Nonesuch, 2004]

There are many things I don't miss about the '60s, including long hair, LSD, revolutionary rhetoric, and folkies playing drums. But the affluent optimism that preceded and then secretly pervaded the decade's apocalyptic alienation is a lost treasure of a time when capitalism had so much slack in it that there was no pressing need to stop your mind from wandering. Brian Wilson grokked surfing because it embodied that optimism, and though I considered the legend of Smile hot air back then, this re-creation proves he had plenty more to make of it. The five titles played for minimalist whimsy on Smiley Smile mean even more orchestrated, and the newly released fragments are as strong as the whole songs they tie together. Smile's post-adolescent utopia isn't disfigured by Brian's thickened, soured 62-year-old voice. It's ennobled--the material limitations of its sunny artifice and pretentious tomfoolery acknowledged and joyfully engaged. This can only be tonic for Americans long since browbeaten into lowering their expectations by the rich men who are stealing their money. A+

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Scaroline No
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »

I found BWPS to be almost totally unlistenable.  I took it for what it was, a Hail Mary attempt to save a foundering solo career.  In that respect, it worked fairly well.  It didn't touch Smile either instrumentally or vocally....

Despite the fact that it was never gonna touch the original... you gotta admit that it was as good as a newly-recorded-in-2004 version possibility could have been. One can argue whether it should have been done it all, etc (I think it was a weight off Brian's back, so more power to him for doing it), but I was then, and remain now, in awe of how closely they came to replicating the original backing tracks... not to mention the vocals being a big step up for Brian at the time.

Some may dislike some of the vocal additions (I'm not crazy about the "hot as hell" lyric), but other than that, I honestly cannot conceive that anyone could say that a version recorded in 2004 could possibly have sounded better. It was quite impressive.

I personally love BWPS. I think the two versions are important... different, but equal. I pretty much listen to both BWPS and the Smile Sessions equally. Comparing the two is so much fun Smiley  I absolutely prefer the BB vocals on the Smile Sessions, but there's just a polish and connectedness in BWPS that the Smile Sessions doesn't quite have, for obvious reasons I think. It feels more like a whole piece than the Smile Sessions, in my opinion. And I just feel so, so happy for Brian every time I reach the conclusion of BWPS. So happy!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2016, 12:34:08 PM »

I will always have a soft spot for BWPS, but it's bittersweet. It came out when my wife and I were expecting our first child...we used to listen to it into the car on our way to her prenatal doctor visits. We miscarried on 19 Oct 2004, so she wasn't with me when I went to my first BW show a few days later.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Scaroline No
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 12:54:40 PM »

I will always have a soft spot for BWPS, but it's bittersweet. It came out when my wife and I were expecting our first child...we used to listen to it into the car on our way to her prenatal doctor visits. We miscarried on 19 Oct 2004, so she wasn't with me when I went to my first BW show a few days later.

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's really amazing how a piece of music can bookmark a particular feeling, even going back a long way. Sad to hear you've got that association with BWPS  Cry
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 01:26:23 PM »

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's really amazing how a piece of music can bookmark a particular feeling, even going back a long way. Sad to hear you've got that association with BWPS  Cry

The odd part is, and I'm not trying to get all mystical here....my daughter Jaymie had a weird reaction when she heard it for the first time. She said it sounded familiar, and she was humming the melody for the songs on her very first listen. Then again, she taught herself to play the piano on her own, so it's probably just ingrained.

Scaroline No
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »

The odd part is, and I'm not trying to get all mystical here....my daughter Jaymie had a weird reaction when she heard it for the first time. She said it sounded familiar, and she was humming the melody for the songs on her very first listen. Then again, she taught herself to play the piano on her own, so it's probably just ingrained.

Wow. That just gave me shivers! Brings to mind Rupert Sheldrake's theory of morphic resonance. But even if it's just ingrained in her as a natural musician, that's really cool Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 02:42:10 PM »

Yeah...and equally as cool, she prefers 60-90s music over everything else. Favorite bands are Journey, ELO, and the BB.

Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2016, 07:52:02 AM »

Wish I was around at that time on here to witness so...  Cool Guy
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2016, 09:16:22 AM »

Yeah...and equally as cool, she prefers 60-90s music over everything else. Favorite bands are Journey, ELO, and the BB.

There is hope for the future Smiley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2016, 07:08:10 AM »

A "Hail Mary attempt to save a foundering solo career. "

His solo career was doing pretty well before BWPS was it not? On the road at least, which is where BWPS began.  I think there was an upward trajectory from the early tours through to Pet Sounds tour and then BWPS.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2016, 07:33:48 AM »

More dumb-ass comments from mikesthegreatest. Gee, I guess you're not a Brian Wilson fan. I mean, how do you come to the Beach Boys and you're not a Brian Wilson fan? It's like saying you love America and then voting for trump. By the way,mikesthegreatest  what?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2016, 08:32:15 AM »

I took it for what it was, a Hail Mary attempt to save a foundering solo career.  In that respect, it worked fairly well. 

Failed attempt at rewriting history. It's not like the facts haven't been written, spoken, and published for the past 15 years or so regarding how it all came together.

If you were around at the time and watched/heard Brian and his band play Our Prayer into Heroes And Villains on Conan O'Brien's old NBC show, a few years before "BWPS", you might rethink the foundering career stuff.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
UK_Surf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2016, 08:41:11 AM »

A "Hail Mary attempt to save a foundering solo career. "

His solo career was doing pretty well before BWPS was it not? On the road at least, which is where BWPS began.  I think there was an upward trajectory from the early tours through to Pet Sounds tour and then BWPS.

Yep. And to evaluate BWPS as a reording or album misses the point. It was first and foremost a Live Event. Being given at night 2 at Royal Festival Hall I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that was one of the best Live Events I have ever witnessed. Off stage was pretty incredible too...everyone was so elated at what they were witnessing, it was really unique.

BWPS as released was a studio recreation of a live event. Very, very different from the Smile Sessions. So judging each on their own appropriate context makes for more fulfilling listening. BWPS also provided a narrative for the 'album' version, which worked pretty nicely. We all have our pet grumbles, but seriously, griping about BWPS  is...it never occurred to me it would ever be a thing. Nice problem to have!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »

It's just more of the usual attempts to throw dirt on one of the best things fans of Brian and of Smile going back decades got to witness. It was the impossible actually happening in front of us.

I'll say it upfront - I'm biased as hell about Smile. And I wear it proudly on my sleeve. I was glued to the computer screen as others who couldn't make the trip to the UK were the night of the RFH debut reading as Matt B and others started sending back reports from the show. I sat in stunned silence when I finally got a chance to hear a tape of that show. I had tears running down my face as the preview tracks from the BWPS album started appearing in low mp3 quality and the pure power of something like In Blue Hawaii came across the speakers. And I had an incredible experience getting to see the show live in Boston when the tour hit the east coast of the US.

Again, the history rewrites will fail as long as people who were there can speak about how things really were.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 08:48:27 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx