gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:18:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian in a wheelchair  (Read 14169 times)
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 03:59:38 PM »

Or maybe he can get a visit from this guy and his "vampire bat"

Hahahah.
By the way that was a great episode.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 04:13:40 PM »

Actually ran into a friend today who has a bad backache going, and she stated that she feels best on her feet, not sitting down, so perhaps the "wheelchair for a bad back" scenario may not be true.

For Brian, though, it's not "merely" a bad back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_stenosis
Anyone recognize the gentleman leading the way for Brian through the door.  Grey hair pulling his luggage ?
Yes I do.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 04:21:09 PM »

Hahahah.

Yeah it was. I have my serious doubts about episode 2, though...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 04:34:14 PM »

Hahahah.

Yeah it was. I have my serious doubts about episode 2, though...

From the preview it didn't look as interesting. Probably the best thing to do is wait a month or so then binge watch it.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 04:38:23 PM »

Wholly 'phuque'.  It's like being made to, once again, watch the gawd-dammed 'good wife'...with my wife... all over again. 

C  E  A  S  E  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 05:29:09 PM »

Actually ran into a friend today who has a bad backache going, and she stated that she feels best on her feet, not sitting down, so perhaps the "wheelchair for a bad back" scenario may not be true.

For Brian, though, it's not "merely" a bad back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_stenosis
Anyone recognize the gentleman leading the way for Brian through the door.  Grey hair pulling his luggage ?
Yes I do.

It's Jerry Weiss.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 05:46:44 PM »

I'm more saddened that he's being harassed by the idiotic press, barking the most inane and insulting questions at him. "Dennis lived with the Manson girls!"..sure, bring up a serial killer.

Assholes.  

It pisses me off that people are so obsessed with this, even though Brian is not the person they should be asking at all. I remember during his reddit AMA, someone asked him about Manson, and when he (of course) didn't answer, some people were disappointed because they didn't actually care about Brian, they just cared about his ''association'' with Manson.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 05:52:20 PM »

Yeah, it's incredibly stupid.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »

Yeah, it's incredibly stupid.

Some choice quotes:
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2zmbsv/i_am_brian_wilson_cofounder_of_the_beach_boys_amaa/cpkgw67/

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 06:25:43 PM by OverTheWaves » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 06:27:54 PM »

Wow...I think the gene pool could use some chlorine

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2016, 06:36:13 PM »

Wow...I think the gene pool could use some chlorine

Or something less extreme...like shoving a copy of "I Am Brian Wilson" into their arms and forcing them to educate themselves about him before they ask stupid questions.

MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »

Can't believe thats what people wanted to ask on reddit. If the first thing you think of asking is about the Mansons then your not much of a fan and obviously more interested in the whole Manson story. I find it strange how so many people are obsessed with that story, I think its the most boring thing out of the whole BB career.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2016, 07:18:22 PM »

I think its the most boring thing out of the whole BB career.

That, and "Going South" off LA Light.

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2016, 07:54:50 PM »

I think its the most boring thing out of the whole BB career.

That, and "Going South" off LA Light.

And the mundane "Sumahaminah, Hamina"  Cheesy Cheesy

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2016, 10:10:19 PM »

When I came home from the Philippines last Summer I had an injured foot. Came right through LAX in a wheel chair with my family. No lines. It was great.

That's weird because I am in the Philippines right now with an injured foot.  Thanks for the idea!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 10:17:36 PM »

It must have been a slow news day if a 74-year-old musician being pushed in a wheelchair through an airport made the news.

As everyone has said, loads of people use wheelchairs to get through airports. I saw the band several times this summer and was right next to the stage for several shows so I saw Brian very clearly when he walked onto and off stage. He is quite wobbly (as opposed to when I saw him in summer 2015). It's not surprising - what with back issues, and the simple fact that balance gets worse with age. People with balance problems often say that airports are one of the most difficult environments to get through because of the crowds, movement and visual distraction.  

Anyway, the guy's been touring solidly for six months, so to call him "frail" is pretty ridiculous. It also betrays a bias on the reporter's part - that being in a wheelchair equals "weak". There are hundreds of reasons that a person might need to use a wheelchair but it does not make them "frail" or weak.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »

It must have been a slow news day if a 74-year-old musician being pushed in a wheelchair through an airport made the news.

As everyone has said, loads of people use wheelchairs to get through airports. I saw the band several times this summer and was right next to the stage for several shows so I saw Brian very clearly when he walked onto and off stage. He is quite wobbly (as opposed to when I saw him in summer 2015). It's not surprising - what with back issues, and the simple fact that balance gets worse with age. People with balance problems often say that airports are one of the most difficult environments to get through because of the crowds, movement and visual distraction. 

Anyway, the guy's been touring solidly for six months, so to call him "frail" is pretty ridiculous. It also betrays a bias on the reporter's part - that being in a wheelchair equals "weak". There are hundreds of reasons that a person might need to use a wheelchair but it does not make them "frail" or weak.

Well said!

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2016, 11:21:58 PM »

I just read most of that Reddit AMA mentioned above and this was so odd to me:

Q: Hey Brian! What is your favorite song from the Love You album?
A: "Ding Dang" because I like my brother Carl's vocal
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2016, 05:41:22 AM »

I hope that will put in perspective all that "autopen" rubbish. And this time I am talking to myself too.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2016, 06:12:12 AM »

I think Brian has randomly cited "Ding Dang" in the past; he even played some of it off the cuff back in 2000 when he went on QVC and performed live in studio with his band to promote the "Live at the Roxy" album.

I think Brian just has "Love You" embedded into his soul a little more than a lot of other albums (certainly most post-60s albums).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2016, 06:39:34 AM »

When I came home from the Philippines last Summer I had an injured foot. Came right through LAX in a wheel chair with my family. No lines. It was great.

That's weird because I am in the Philippines right now with an injured foot.  Thanks for the idea!

Haha! Make make sure they know in Manila that you need a wheel chair. Every connection has a nice person with a chair waiting for you. Heaven.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2016, 07:05:16 AM »

I think Brian has randomly cited "Ding Dang" in the past; he even played some of it off the cuff back in 2000 when he went on QVC and performed live in studio with his band to promote the "Live at the Roxy" album.

I think Brian just has "Love You" embedded into his soul a little more than a lot of other albums (certainly most post-60s albums).

Am I missing something with one of my favorite albums?  What is odd to me is that either Brian got this answer totally wrong, or his favorite part of this super multifaceted album that he created mostly on his own is a very enthusiastic background vocal from his brother on a 60 second-long song.  I think my take is that Brian has given so few ****'s about doing press for such a long time, that after so many decades he just says whatever, doesn't think twice about it, and leaves it at that.  The best interviewers get a smaller percentage of whatever, things like Reddit get a large percentage of whatever.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2016, 07:26:25 AM »

In some cases, maybe some of that would be applicable. I'm just saying Brian has in the past shown an affinity for "Ding Dang." So it's not like he gives zero f**ks about the song and is yanking someone's chain. Maybe he doesn't care about the interview at hand, I don't know. But the songs he *really* doesn't care about might be more likely to be songs he doesn't even mention or may not even immediately recognize the title of.

Remember, this is the guy that has spent most of his life knocking around the "Shortenin' Bread" motif in a myriad of ways.

It's not as if Brian is holding "Ding Dang" up as pure genius. He just seems to fondly remember it, especially based on his enthusiastic off-the-cuff performance of it back in 2000. Frankly, I'd rather hear Brian talk about "Ding Dang" than "God Only Knows" for the millionth time.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:40:45 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2016, 07:39:27 AM »

Page 197 of the book: Brian also talks about "Ding Dang". "It's one of my favorite songs ever"..."The keyboard riff has been stuck in my head for years. I love it so much."

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2016, 07:41:44 AM »

Maybe some fans would be disappointed or shocked that Brian would name "Ding Dang" off the "Love You" album before something like "The Night Was So Young." But I think it's interesting and hilarious that *that's* the song Brian would single out.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx