gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:55:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian in a wheelchair  (Read 14174 times)
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2016, 11:45:33 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3873392/The-Beach-Boys-Brian-Wilson-looks-frail-pushed-LAX-Airport-wheelchair.html

This is sad news. Does anyone know if this is at all common for him?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:52:37 AM »

His back has been bad for a number of years now, and he moves very gingerly on stage these days. A wheelchair doesn't surprise me at all.

He seems relatively upbeat in the pics; it's not like he's trying to hide or shield his face or something.

I've known far younger folks with back problems. That he's 74 years old with back problems and doesn't want to trudge through an airport or whatever doesn't surprise me. I guess ideally they'd get a little golfcart thing or something to avoid "Brian Wilson in Wheelchair" headlines, but given everything we know, I'm not extra concerned.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »

Here is a video.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mqTBPa_jGY

I wonder if he is using it for convenience due to chronic pain in the legs or back.  It makes me deeply sad.
Scaroline No
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 12:06:24 PM »

While looking at the photo gave me a jolt and made my heart a bit achy, I'm inclined not to read too much into it. Recalling my days as a guest services attendant at a major international hotel chain, we had wheelchairs on hand for guests who might need or request one at any given time. Traveling can be exhausting, especially for an elderly person or anyone with an injury or back problem. GSAs are trained to always be on the lookout for how they can help someone who looks like they need it, whether that person looks lost, wobbly, or simply has a question written on their face. Where I worked, if someone was looking wobbly, it wouldn't be out of line for any of us working to diplomatically inform them we had wheelchairs available if they wanted one. For their own safety as well as for preventing a fall on the premises for legal reasons. I'm sure this is just a case of the attendants trying to make him comfortable while on the premises and get him to his gate as speedily as possible, or whatever.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:09:15 PM by SCaroline Z » Logged
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »

His back has been bad for a number of years now, and he moves very gingerly on stage these days. A wheelchair doesn't surprise me at all.

He seems relatively upbeat in the pics; it's not like he's trying to hide or shield his face or something.

I've known far younger folks with back problems. That he's 74 years old with back problems and doesn't want to trudge through an airport or whatever doesn't surprise me. I guess ideally they'd get a little golfcart thing or something to avoid "Brian Wilson in Wheelchair" headlines, but given everything we know, I'm not extra concerned.

I completely agree. I think the use of the wheelchair has more to do with getting him through the airport fast . He certainly walks a little gingerly on stage, but I would say these photos really don't tell the whole story. By the way, he looks better in the video than in the photos--I'm sure it has everything to do with multiple paparazzi spraying him with flash.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 12:24:49 PM »

Looks like the Tom Bradley Terminal at LAX. Some long lines for security at times there. Wheelchairs get priority.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 12:36:49 PM »

I agree with most posters here.  When I saw him a month ago his gait looked really, really tired.  In situations like airports I am not surprised that he uses a wheelchair.

That paparazzi would incense me to no end and I would do something to get sued.  They were very patient.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 12:39:04 PM »

When I came home from the Philippines last Summer I had an injured foot. Came right through LAX in a wheel chair with my family. No lines. It was great.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 01:15:04 PM »

Here is a video.  

I wonder if he is using it for convenience due to chronic pain in the legs or back.  It makes me deeply sad.

I have elderly friends around Brian's age who also use wheelchair service at the airport. I wouldn't read too much into it. For some people, it's tough to be on your feet and walking great distances when you get to be a certain age.

I'm more saddened that he's being harassed by the idiotic press, barking the most inane and insulting questions at him. "Dennis lived with the Manson girls!"..sure, bring up a serial killer. Classy move. "What song will you be remembered for?"..Yeah, death is always a good way to start a conversation.

Assholes.   
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 01:44:49 PM »

I've seen photos/videos of Brian in a wheelchair for the last couple of years at least. It's probably a lot easier on him. Like most said, don't read into it too much.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 02:18:53 PM »

Would it be tedious to start a thread:" Brian out of a wheelchair"?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »

I seriously want to punch that paparazzi d-bag.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »

I doubt if there is anything seriously wrong with him, he looks fine in his expressions in the photos, does not appear to be ill.  Probably just prefers sitting to walking.

It is rather unfortunate though that he has not maintained the very high physical fitness level he once enjoyed at one time as a result of the Landy regimen.  No I'm not defending Landy in general, just noting that the physical fitness aspects that he was pushing at one time appeared to do Bri a world of good.  Seems once he was out of his clutches, it was back to steak and potatoes, cheeseburgers, etc.

Actually ran into a friend today who has a bad backache going, and she stated that she feels best on her feet, not sitting down, so perhaps the "wheelchair for a bad back" scenario may not be true.
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 02:53:03 PM »

Well, it's publicity and as Brian himself noted, "there's no such thing as bad publicity".  Career Uber Alles in Beach Boys Land, no?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 03:04:19 PM »

This reminds me of a quote by Dennis. Not sure what year, but h basically said the Beach Boys will tour til their old in wheel chairs!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 03:07:10 PM »

Actually ran into a friend today who has a bad backache going, and she stated that she feels best on her feet, not sitting down, so perhaps the "wheelchair for a bad back" scenario may not be true.

For Brian, though, it's not "merely" a bad back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_stenosis

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 03:13:37 PM »

For Brian, though, it's not "merely" a bad back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_stenosis
Anyone recognize the gentleman leading the way for Brian through the door.  Grey hair pulling his luggage ?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 03:21:52 PM »

Me too. Of course, the dickshit was on Brian's right side, so he didn't hear it!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 03:34:19 PM »

Brian suffers from the same back ailments which had Carl performing onstage while sitting on/in a chair.  It's hereditary.  It's spinal stenosis.  The man wants to perform for the audience with THIS EXACT and current crew...  The true crew which allows him the UNIQUE opportunity to bring to the stage the sound he always envisioned in his head ... the one which the 'old Beach Boys' were never capable of bringing to LIVE ears...as good as they were on stage from the early up until the mid-70s.  By the late 70s?  Holy crap!!!  Thanks Mike.  You dick!!!  You  S T U P I D  dick.

I don't feel badly for a man who WANTS to do what he's doing...and who keeps adding on more dates in order to lengthen out the process ... not nip it in the bud like that Love fool did 4 years ago.

If the wheel chair makes it all easier to accomplish...roll on Brian.  You're on a roll.  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:56:56 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 03:38:25 PM »

Here is a video.  

Wow what an asshole that paparazzi guy is. Leave him in peace and of all questions a stupid manson question, f*** that guy.
It's emotional seeing those photos of him in the wheel chair but from watching the video it doesn't seem so bad. You can see Brian hoping in the wheelchair.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:40:57 PM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 03:42:14 PM »

Yes, spinal stenosis is serious. It's why Cooper Manning, a star football wide receiver and brother to Peyton and Eli Manning, had to give up playing football when in college. If hit wrong, he could have been paralyzed..
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 03:44:17 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 03:43:54 PM »

Here is a video.  

Wow what an asshole that paparazzi guy is. Leave him in peace and of all questions a stupid manson question, f*** that guy.
It's emotional seeing those photos of him in the wheel chair but from watching the video it doesn't seem so bad. You can see Brian hoping in the wheelchair.

Yeah, and also Brian's like 'tell him not to come in here'.

I just want to slap the fuckstuffing out that guy. Just a little bit.

MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 03:52:49 PM »

Here is a video.  

Yeah, and also Brian's like 'tell him not to come in here'.

I just want to slap the fuckstuffing out that guy. Just a little bit.

Your too kind to him. I think he deserves more.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 03:54:20 PM »

Or maybe he can get a visit from this guy and his "vampire bat"

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 03:59:11 PM »

Oh my god! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx