gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:53:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on people around Brian  (Read 5772 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 02:24:22 PM »

I don't think anyone is particularly denying potential shenanigans with some of those C50 sigs.

For what it's worth, I've compared my 2015 BW signature sold via the PBS website on the Soundstage Blu-ray to another copy also sold through PBS, and they're different from each other and both seem to be pretty likely legit (rather shakey/spidery). Again, it's odd that they do *hundreds* if not *thousands* of legit autographs and then fakeys end up surfacing as well.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 03:14:57 PM »

I also think a distinction should be made regarding the "people around Brian". There's a big difference between Melinda and some low level schlub either forging Brian's signature or using a stamp. Ultimately, yes, it does reflect poorly on the people at the top but I find it very difficult to believe that someone who's actually close to Brian is cranking out fake autographs.

It's very simple. Whoever is doing it should be shown the door immediately. "Autogate" should never be allowed to happen again.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 03:43:44 PM »

I also think a distinction should be made regarding the "people around Brian". There's a big difference between Melinda and some low level schlub either forging Brian's signature or using a stamp. Ultimately, yes, it does reflect poorly on the people at the top but I find it very difficult to believe that someone who's actually close to Brian is cranking out fake autographs.

It's very simple. Whoever is doing it should be shown the door immediately. "Autogate" should never be allowed to happen again.

I doubt it's someone low level.  It's not a large corporation.  There is a small team who work for Brian.  The money will go back to Brian's bank from a company such as Premiere Collections.  I wouldn't think some 'shady' person handed over some fake signed books and was paid cash for them.  If it's in Brian's organisation then it's likely to have been someone close.

Unless of course it was Premiere Collections who forged some of the signatures from the legit delivery they received.

What happened to all the inserts Ray witnessed Brian sign?  Someone must know who they were for.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »

I doubt it's someone low level.  It's not a large corporation.  There is a small team who work for Brian.  The money will go back to Brian's bank from a company such as Premiere Collections.  I wouldn't think some 'shady' person handed over some fake signed books and was paid cash for them.  If it's in Brian's organisation then it's likely to have been someone close.

Unless of course it was Premiere Collections who forged some of the signatures from the legit delivery they received.

I would be willing to bet it would be the latter.

check this out

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/gifted-a-possible-fake-manning-autograph

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 04:50:24 PM »

I would be willing to bet it would be the latter.

check this out

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/gifted-a-possible-fake-manning-autograph

Billy, I'm not sure what you are suggesting here. The link is above is a fake autograph on a jersey. Premiere Collectibles only deals in signed books. The link apparently highlights the fact that someone was trying to use their good reputation by issuing a COA using a variation on their name. I know the instinct is to protect Brian, but I would be shocked if this can't be traced to either the publisher or Brian's team. The fact that Premiere Collectibles apparently can't get a response tells me a lot.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 05:26:37 PM »

I see what happens if I don't read the entire page! Would help if I had spelled "Collectibles" correctly too...

Not seeing a whole lot of info on them, apart from some complaints with the BBB about people not getting their books, dating back a few years.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 05:27:04 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 02:00:05 PM »

Brian probably is medicated, he's got documented mental issues.  Don't know why anyone would be surprised by that assertion.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 02:11:21 PM »

It's the inference that he's "overmedicated" or kept docile that's the issue.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 02:11:41 PM »

Brian probably is medicated, he's got documented mental issues.  Don't know why anyone would be surprised by that assertion.

The problem isn't the literal fact that Brian takes medication (as Brian has indicated by his own words).

Saying someone "is medicated" is different than saying "takes medication." It's a more loaded term, with usually quite different connotations.

"Brian is medicated" implies a passive sense of the word, as if someone is acting upon him. In the literal sense this is always true, as someone else has to prescribe medication.

But that passive phrasing, coupled with conflating Brian's time with Landy with his present situation, is the problem.

Mike isn't saying "Brian takes medication to deal with his issues." He says this:

“Brian’s life is controlled completely," he said. "It has been since Gene Landy, and it still is. And he’s medicated."

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/08/17/mike-love-beach-boys-preview/88770362/

As in, Brian's life is controlled, Landy controlled it, and Brian's life still is (which implies in my opinion that the situation is analogous to Landy). He then adds that Brian is medicated. As if it's the next lamentable aspect of Brian's life, of Brian's being "controlled."

Mike's comment in that particular interview was not only out of line, it also showed a completely lack of understanding or familiarity with Brian's current *medical* situation, not to mention a lack of empathy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:12:30 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 02:12:26 PM »

And as usual, you explained it way better than I could have :D

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 06:23:11 PM »

Would help if I had spelled "Collectibles" correctly too...
You quoted mikeddonn. He said "Collections", maybe telephone typo. [Reply No.27]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:39:16 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Mr. Verlander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2016, 03:04:35 AM »

It really does seem as if the thing that burns Mike's ass more than anything else is that Brian doesn't want to write with him anymore. What I don't get is the assertion that this wound has been festering since Brian went to work with Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks in 1966. By then, Brian had already struck up short-lived but basically exclusive (for a while) writing partnerships with Gary Usher and Roger Christian (I mean, Christian wasn't a "writing partner," but you know what I mean). How were Asher and Parks any different?

And then Brian went on to write a ton of songs with Mike during the '67-'70 period, almost as many as they had written during the '62-'65 period.

Probably because (rightly or wrongly), a lot of people consider the work he did with Asher and VDP to be Brian's "best". It was considered to be real art. The stuff that Mike wrote with Brian a lot of times ends up getting pushed into the "chicks and cars" pile, and is looked at in an entirely different way. Mike probably is bothered by the fact that the work he did with Brian isn't held in the same kind of regard, as far as a lot of critics go (which seems to matter to Mike, quite a bit).
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »

Would help if I had spelled "Collectibles" correctly too...
You quoted mikeddonn. He said "Collections", maybe telephone typo. [Reply No.27]

Yes, auto correct! Premiere Collectibles is what it should say.  Cheesy
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx