gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:41:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thoughts on people around Brian  (Read 5784 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2016, 10:28:41 AM »

Here is my theory. I believe that the people around Brian are very protective of Brian who is probably unable to organize his own life. But of course believe that unlike Landy, the people around Brian care for him more than just making money. Mike, who also loves Brian is protective of him, is probably suspicious of the people around Brian, but unlike Landy has never said he wants to kill them. Which means he doesn't believe this situation is harming Brian the way Landy was. However, Mike probably believes Brian can control his own life and that Brian wanted to work with him one on one, but the people around him wouldn't allow it.

I don't claim to have inside knowledge. This is just an attempt to understand both sides. I believe both Mike and Melinda care for and are protective of Brian. Yet they are both suspicious of the other. This may seem obvious, but I'm sure there are those who are firmly on Brian's side or Mike's >cough< Andrew G Doe.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 10:47:28 AM »

Here is my theory. I believe that the people around Brian are very protective of Brian who is probably unable to organize his own life. But of course believe that unlike Landy, the people around Brian care for him more than just making money. Mike, who also loves Brian is protective of him, is probably suspicious of the people around Brian, but unlike Landy has never said he wants to kill them. Which means he doesn't believe this situation is harming Brian the way Landy was. However, Mike probably believes Brian can control his own life and that Brian wanted to work with him one on one, but the people around him wouldn't allow it.

I don't claim to have inside knowledge. This is just an attempt to understand both sides. I believe both Mike and Melinda care for and are protective of Brian. Yet they are both suspicious of the other. This may seem obvious, but I'm sure there are those who are firmly on Brian's side or Mike's >cough< Andrew G Doe.

Brian and Melinda have been married for 21 years, and are raising a family. That's real life, that's the ultimate reality of the situation. People who put in the same universe of perspective Mike's desire to write songs in a room with Brian, and peg them not doing so to Brian being kept away to the point of suggesting he was being drugged and controlled - and that includes some of Mike's comments as recent as this past year - must have a warped sense of both perspective and reality. To put a man's marriage and family in the same area as a quack doctor who was disgraced out of his practice, and various "controllers" and "handlers" from conservators to bodyguards 30-40 years ago must not understand what a marriage and family is all about. Either that, or it's a case of denial mixed with selfishness.

Whatever the case, it makes no sense. 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »

Everybody I've talked to "around" Brian have been extremely pleasant and kind.  I've have seen absolutely no indication of anything not on the up and up. So when  I see things from Mike's "people" making stupid allegations, I just shake my head and consider the source.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 11:01:40 AM »

Brian and Melinda have been married for 21 years, and are raising a family. That's real life, that's the ultimate reality of the situation. People who put in the same universe of perspective Mike's desire to write songs in a room with Brian, and peg them not doing so to Brian being kept away to the point of suggesting he was being drugged and controlled - and that includes some of Mike's comments as recent as this past year - must have a warped sense of both perspective and reality. To put a man's marriage and family in the same area as a quack doctor who was disgraced out of his practice, and various "controllers" and "handlers" from conservators to bodyguards 30-40 years ago must not understand what a marriage and family is all about. Either that, or it's a case of denial mixed with selfishness.

Whatever the case, it makes no sense.  

Yes, but like I said, I don't think Mike believes it's as bad as Landy either. He said he wanted to kill Landy. I don't think he has ever said he wanted to kill Melinda. I'm not saying Mike is right on everything. He is just convinced that if Brian decided on his own, he would have worked with Mike one on one. I think Mike's often direct speech can be interpreted as insensitive. But could be a defense mechanism for his own feelings being hurt. I think his feelings were hurt in 1966 when Brian chose to work with other collaborators more. I think his feelings were hurt when he wasn't able to work with Brian one on one. But in defense of Melinda, I think she was being protective of Brian. Or it was Brian's decision to work that way.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 11:09:20 AM »

Everybody I've talked to "around" Brian have been extremely pleasant and kind.  I've have seen absolutely no indication of anything not on the up and up. So when  I see things from Mike's "people" making stupid allegations, I just shake my head and consider the source.

I'm not saying Mike is right. But in trying to understand his view point, I can see how he could react this way. That in his mind, it would hurt to think Brian doesn't wish to collaborate with him, so he has convinced himself that it is others around Brian. Which I can understand his instinctive suspicion after Landy.  But I think he believes Brian is in a much better place than under Landy.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:10:03 AM »

Mike has made comments making comparisons though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 11:11:21 AM »

He made comments a few months ago suggesting Brian was being kept drugged and was controlled. Published in an interview promoting either his tour or his upcoming book or both, I'll have to dig up the interview.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 11:13:45 AM »

http://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2016/08/17/mike-love-beach-boys-preview/88770362/

Quote:

>>>Despite outward appearances, Love said his relationship with Wilson would be fine if not for outside interference.

“Brian’s life is controlled completely," he said. "It has been since Gene Landy, and it still is. And he’s medicated. If he says something about Mike Love unsolicited, he’ll say things like, ‘He’s my favorite lyricist.’ If and when we do see each other, we revert back to childhood, which is great. So if it were just he and I, I don’t think there would be any problems. We would work through them. I know that for a fact. But that is not the way it is. So let’s just leave it at that.”<<<

August 2016 to be exact.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:14:14 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:14:22 AM »

Yup.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:15:59 AM »

This has to make you at least question some of the decisions made by people around Brian:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24521.0.html
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:22:55 AM »

My position on the people around Brian: I don't know them. I assume that like most people worth a certain amount of money, he has decisions being made with as well as for him--different levels of control for different things. I also assume as someone who has led the life he has led, he gets plenty of help with other aspects of life. Beyond that, how the f*** would I know? I'm sure the people around him are fine. Normal, considering the circumstances. And having much more opinion than that would just speculating. Luckily, they are mostly irrelevant to my life, since the thing about Brian Wilson I like is the music he makes, not who decides to autosign his autographs, lets him gain or lose a few pounds, or whether he can use the phone on Tuesdays before he brushes his teeth.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »

Everybody I've talked to "around" Brian have been extremely pleasant and kind.  I've have seen absolutely no indication of anything not on the up and up. So when  I see things from Mike's "people" making stupid allegations, I just shake my head and consider the source.

This has to make you at least question some of the decisions made by people around Brian:

All of the Beach Boys individually (including Mike) and collectively (BRI) have had people around them (and also the BBs themselves) making bad decisions, non-decisions, etc.

Using an autopen to sign stuff is lamentable and disappointing. If those autopenned signatures were purposely sold to anyone as authentic, then that's an even bigger disappointment. I think the recent autopen book thing is a big clusterf**k, though it has nothing to do with supporting Brian when I say I think people are slightly jumping the gun on assuming in detail how that whole thing happened (e.g. did someone send an autopenned set of books to Premiere instead of somewhere else where they were intended? Maybe Brian's management were sending out comped copies to friends or business associates and were going to use an autopen on those?). Even having an autopen in the equation is silly and boneheaded, especially considering Brian *does* sign autographs, and apparently even some of the Premiere books are also legit autographs.

In any event, it's NOTHING like the criminal activities of Landy and his squad.

Bad/shitty/questionable management or even good management making boneheaded decision is not unique to Brian, and isn't a sign of some vast organizational abuse of Brian.

If the whole point of all of this is simply to point out that Brian has people around him helping him, often guiding things, making decisions, etc., then that's pretty much how any famous/wealthy/celebrity operates. Some are even more hands-off, some more hands-on.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:41:50 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 11:40:34 AM »

The people around Brian seem to work  as appendages. They help him get stuff done. That is a far cry from having your life manipulated and controlled. I wish I had a posse like Brian. I would get far  more  done.  LOL
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »

Everybody I've talked to "around" Brian have been extremely pleasant and kind.  I've have seen absolutely no indication of anything not on the up and up. So when  I see things from Mike's "people" making stupid allegations, I just shake my head and consider the source.

All of the Beach Boys individually (including Mike) and collectively (BRI) have had people around them (and also the BBs themselves) making bad decisions, non-decisions, etc.

Using an autopen to sign stuff is lamentable and disappointing. If those autopenned signatures were purposely sold to anyone as authentic, then that's an even bigger disappointment. I think the recent autopen book thing is a big clusterf**k, though it has nothing to do with supporting Brian when I say I think people are slightly jumping the gun on assuming in detail how that whole thing happened (e.g. did someone send an autopenned set of books to Premiere instead of somewhere else where they were intended? Maybe Brian's management were sending out comped copies to friends or business associates and were going to use an autopen on those?). Even having an autopen in the equation is silly and boneheaded, especially considering Brian *does* sign autographs, and apparently even some of the Premiere books are also legit autographs.

In any event, it's NOTHING like the criminal activities of Landy and his squad.

Bad/shitty/questionable management or even good management making boneheaded decision is not unique to Brian, and isn't a sign of some vast organizational abuse of Brian.

If the whole point of all of this is simply to point out that Brian has people around him helping him, often guiding things, making decisions, etc., then that's pretty much how any famous/wealthy/celebrity operates. Some are even more hands-off, some more hands-on.

You are correct and Ray Lawlor's response is shedding some light on the situation. However, that only partially explains the current situation and not the past questionable signatures sold at the merch tables.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 11:49:54 AM »

The people around Brian seem to work  as appendages. They help him get stuff done. That is a far cry from having your life manipulated and controlled. I wish I had a posse like Brian. I would get far  more  done.  LOL

You and me both!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2016, 11:56:33 AM »

You are correct and Ray Lawlor's response is shedding some light on the situation. However, that only partially explains the current situation and not the past questionable signatures sold at the merch tables.

When it's not an autopen and is an allegation of someone else signing, it's a tough nut to crack. It's much more speculative and shaky to make accusations. It gets very circumstantial. Handwriting experts can weight in I suppose.

I bought a Brian autograph at a used CD shop for $8.99 a couple years ago (a wonky signed copy of the Gershwin album), and there was pretty polarized disagreement here as to whether it was legit or not.

But certainly I think there was some provocative circumstantial evidence concerning things like some of the C50 autographs. Which is why I think, especially among folks here who know all of these stories, I would tend to tell folks not to buy autographs not obtained in person, or obtained by someone you can trust (and/or has photos/video to prove the signature). Or, at least, don't pay extra for one. I got a Brian autograph with the PBS Soundstage Blu-ray set last year. I think it's actually legit, but I just wanted the Blu-ray and the signature was rather superfluous.

To be clear, I'm not saying someone should not be held accountable if they are faking autographs, regardless of how much of a caveat emptor attitude fans should be taking.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 11:59:17 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 12:05:52 PM »

When it's not an autopen and is an allegation of someone else signing, it's a tough nut to crack. It's much more speculative and shaky to make accusations. It gets very circumstantial. Handwriting experts can weight in I suppose.

I bought a Brian autograph at a used CD shop for $8.99 a couple years ago (a wonky signed copy of the Gershwin album), and there was pretty polarized disagreement here as to whether it was legit or not.

But certainly I think there was some provocative circumstantial evidence concerning things like some of the C50 autographs. Which is why I think, especially among folks here who know all of these stories, I would tend to tell folks not to buy autographs not obtained in person, or obtained by someone you can trust (and/or has photos/video to prove the signature). Or, at least, don't pay extra for one. I got a Brian autograph with the PBS Soundstage Blu-ray set last year. I think it's actually legit, but I just wanted the Blu-ray and the signature was rather superfluous.

To be clear, I'm not saying someone should not be held accountable if they are faking autographs, regardless of how much of a caveat emptor attitude fans should be taking.

I agree to a certain extent. However, there is a huge difference between some random seller on eBay claiming dodgy looking Brian Wilson autographs are authentic, as opposed to buying directly from an official merch table (or in this case, a reputable seller of autographed books who work directly with publishers). It's a sad commentary on Brian's team, if you have to say caveat emptor to anything hand signed coming from his official channels (i.e. his merch table, online store, publisher, etc.).
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 12:12:25 PM »

I agree to a certain extent. However, there is a huge difference between some random seller on eBay claiming dodgy looking Brian Wilson autographs are authentic, as opposed to buying directly from an official merch table (or in this case, a reputable seller of autographed books who work directly with publishers). It's a sad commentary on Brian's team, if you have to say caveat emptor to anything hand signed coming from his official channels (i.e. his merch table, online store, publisher, etc.).

It is sad. I'd have to go back and read old threads to determine how the specific allegation that Foskett was signing for Brian during C50 came up.

All I know is that at least *some* of the supposed "telltale" signs of a Foskett-signed Brian fake that people were throwing around were present in 100% in-person authenticated confirmed Brian autographs.

My best guess on C50 was that because they were apparently having the band members signs stuff *during* the tour as the tour went along (based on discussions I had with people at the merch table), if they were having Foskett sign, it was a bad decision motivated by bad time management in needing to get the merch ready to sell.

However, even then the pattern was odd. Brian was signing some autographs, and at some shows the merch table *wasn’t* selling specific signed group items because the band hadn’t had a chance to sign them yet.

If the Foskett-signing-for-Brian thing was/is true, then it was done in a very odd, sporadic, sometimes seemingly aribitrary fashion.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 12:18:12 PM »

It is sad. I'd have to go back and read old threads to determine how the specific allegation that Foskett was signing for Brian during C50 came up.

All I know is that at least *some* of the supposed "telltale" signs of a Foskett-signed Brian fake that people were throwing around were present in 100% in-person authenticated confirmed Brian autographs.

My best guess on C50 was that because they were apparently having the band members signs stuff *during* the tour as the tour went along (based on discussions I had with people at the merch table), if they were having Foskett sign, it was a bad decision motivated by bad time management in needing to get the merch ready to sell.

However, even then the pattern was odd. Brian was signing some autographs, and at some shows the merch table *wasn’t* selling specific signed group items because the band hadn’t had a chance to sign them yet.

If the Foskett-signing-for-Brian thing was/is true, then it was done in a very odd, sporadic, sometimes seemingly aribitrary fashion.

For reference, this is what people refer to as a "Foskett" Brian Wilson autograph:

You will not find a single autograph expert authenticate this as a genuine Brian Wilson signature. The only similarities of the above signature to Brian's genuine signature is that they both used the letters B and W.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 12:27:06 PM »

I have no reason to doubt that assertion. I guess I can't say with 100% certainty that there's zero chance Brian could have signed that. But I'm not going to hang on such a far-fetched technicality. I think there was plenty of compelling evidence on C50 merch (mainly the signed programs) that Brian's signature looked too clean and unfamiliar in some cases.

As I said, it's a puzzling, arbitrary pattern of having him sign some stuff and not others, and not seeming to have any huge pressure on them to ensure having signed stuff to sell (referring to stories during C50 where, when they didn't have signatures to sell, they just didn't sell them).

I quickly looked up the scenario I was referring to earlier, and someone suggested for instance that they had never seen Brian sign his last name with an uppercase "S" in "Wilson", yet I have an in-person autograph where he did just that.

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 01:18:04 PM »

Can you please post a link?

I have the same program as Marty with that same fake signature.
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 01:28:41 PM »

It really does seem as if the thing that burns Mike's ass more than anything else is that Brian doesn't want to write with him anymore. What I don't get is the assertion that this wound has been festering since Brian went to work with Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks in 1966. By then, Brian had already struck up short-lived but basically exclusive (for a while) writing partnerships with Gary Usher and Roger Christian (I mean, Christian wasn't a "writing partner," but you know what I mean). How were Asher and Parks any different?

And then Brian went on to write a ton of songs with Mike during the '67-'70 period, almost as many as they had written during the '62-'65 period.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 01:29:18 PM by maggie » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 01:36:18 PM »

It really does seem as if the thing that burns Mike's ass more than anything else is that Brian doesn't want to write with him anymore. What I don't get is the assertion that this wound has been festering since Brian went to work with Tony Asher and Van Dyke Parks in 1966. By then, Brian had already struck up short-lived but basically exclusive (for a while) writing partnerships with Gary Usher and Roger Christian (I mean, Christian wasn't a "writing partner," but you know what I mean). How were Asher and Parks any different?

And then Brian went on to write a ton of songs with Mike during the '67-'70 period, almost as many as they had written during the '62-'65 period.

Mike needs to get some Preparation H...that is way too long for an ass burn.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 02:05:39 PM »

Can you please post a link?

I have the same program as Marty with that same fake signature.

If you're responding to my previous post, I'm not sure which link you're requesting. There are a few old threads here. I can try to dig up a link to a pic of my Brian autograph I was referring to. It's not particularly applicable to picking apart the C50 autographs, as the BW autograph I was talking about is a rather large signature on a larger poster. As I guessed back then in previous discussions, a super big Brian autograph will tend to have more detail. The debate over the "S" in Wilson is interesting because some BW autographs are indeed not much more than a B and W.

Shark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 02:08:34 PM »

I have a C50 poster signed by all 5 (that I actually watched them sign, so I know Brian's signature is legit) and can tell you that Brian's signature on my poster looks nothing like the one posted above.  It's much more shaky and a lot smaller. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx