gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:56:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some "signed" Brian books not actually signed  (Read 31634 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2016, 12:16:47 PM »

So I've learnt a few things this thread including signed pages are added to books later.

Here's some irony. If the books being returned to PC eventually get signed by Brian then return to the market, they may be worth more. Roll Eyes
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »

Just got this email...

Hi Billy C,

Hello: we've been looking at the posts on this thread regarding signed copies of Brian’s new book. Please know that Brian spent a tremendous amount of time over the Summer personally signing thousands of books. Premiere Collectibles is a third-party bookseller who received an allotment of books, along with others. We are looking into this right now.

If for some reason you believe yours is not personally signed by Brian, please send a photo of the signature to info@brianwilson.com and we will deal directly with the publisher and get back to you immediately.

Brian Wilson Management

Administrator sent this email using a form at the URL below, which hides your email address from the email sender:
https://brianwilson.websitetoolbox.com

Thank you,
Brian Wilson Community

Notice the "deal directly with the publisher"? I think that is our answer.

Can we call off the dogs now?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2016, 02:59:37 PM »

That screen shot of the Facebook thread clearly points out that no one is  blaming BriMel. 

Just the usual suspects are, though.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2016, 04:39:26 PM »

Just got this email...

Hi Billy C,

Hello: we've been looking at the posts on this thread regarding signed copies of Brian’s new book. Please know that Brian spent a tremendous amount of time over the Summer personally signing thousands of books. Premiere Collectibles is a third-party bookseller who received an allotment of books, along with others. We are looking into this right now.

If for some reason you believe yours is not personally signed by Brian, please send a photo of the signature to info@brianwilson.com and we will deal directly with the publisher and get back to you immediately.

Brian Wilson Management

Administrator sent this email using a form at the URL below, which hides your email address from the email sender:

Thank you,
Brian Wilson Community

Notice the "deal directly with the publisher"? I think that is our answer.

Can we call off the dogs now?!
Yes, looks like both Premiere Collectibles and Brian Wilson Inc. are pinning the blame on Da Capo Press. This actually seems like a more promising solution for those who have a non-genuine signature--"deal directly with the publisher" gives the impression that they might be able to make an exchange???
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2016, 06:30:01 AM »

Marty, why would I comment on something I know nothing about? If you're looking for comments on those issues, I'd suggest reading through some of the Facebook comments at the links that have been getting posted from the autograph club and the comments by Premiere, it seems some comments have been posted about what you're asking me about here. Weigh them accordingly as you see fit.

Take a second to read the post above where I quote acedecade75 and provided photos. It certainly is possible that Brian bears no blame in the current situation with Premiere Collectibles and PC has taken responsibility for their part in the screw up. The fact that so many people pointed directly to Brian or his "team" has everything to do with past actions. If you know nothing about something, read up and learn. Keeping your head in the sand on the issue is no excuse. Feel free to comment once you become more educated on this particular subject.

Marty, spare the bile and read the Facebook comments if you want to read the comments about what you're asking about, these signatures from 2012 and 2013. I don't know anything about how that happened or what happened other than what fans have been posting. What could I say? I have the same info posted by fans as most of us do. If you want to read what others say could have happened, read them. Whatever I say about it is coming from the same bleacher seats as everyone else reading the posts.

Now, my turn. You've been trying to hang Brian and his management over this book situation here and elsewhere. You've even gone so far as to put out a suggestion that Brian committed fraud. To me, it sounds like you have an axe to grind beyond this book situation, and you're using this to help sharpen that axe. And you're putting information out there which you don't know, but are going with anyway.

Look at what has come out so far. Brian signed what he agreed to sign, people witnessed him signing those hundreds of autographs (see Ray Lawlor's post, he was there and saw Brian sign them), and they were handed over to be put into the books. Whatever happened after that part of the process that led to these issues is out of Brian's hands, after the autographs were handed over as agreed, and should make your comments suggesting Brian committed fraud completely moot and false. Some of Premier's original comments back that up. On Brian's end, on BriMel's end, according to the posts, Brian signed them and they were delivered. Done deal.

If you want to tie this into some issues from 2012 and 2013, you're doing a solid job of it. Pursue those issues, find the info and get whatever names you're looking for, but don't try to shift topics and suggest Brian and "his team" are involved in fraud and deceit based on what people who may or may not still be part of that team had done 4 years ago.

It's obvious you are trying to hang this on Brian and "those around him" (to borrow a phrase from another thread), and when the strong possibility is raised that they may not have been aware of this after handing over the signatures Brian actually signed and was witnessed signing, you try to connect this to previous incidents and cases which may or may not have involved people who are no longer in the "those around Brian" category.

You want to make jokes about my head in the sand instead of trying to hash out the issue at hand, which you have been pounding on multiple forums? You want to talk about the issue of these auto-pen signatures getting into Premier's supply line and possible ways that could have happened, or try to link it to the new set of issues from previous years which you've brought up and are trying to shift the discussion toward since Premier's statement? Get your facts straight and check your grudges at the door first, and we'll talk facts. Deal?

There really isn't more to discuss until Da Capo Press or BriMel explains how this happened--Premiere Collectibles has explained their role and came with a solution for those who purchased the books. I personally don't think the solution goes far enough, as they are leaving non-genuine signed books in circulation, at some point those books will be resold and the buyer will be SOL.

My response on the first page laid out the scenario and all parties involved, as far as we know, and to leave Brian out would be inaccurate--I never suggested Brian committed fraud. I think Brian's only role in this saga was signing the 500 title pages that Ray Lawlor personally witnessed him sign. What happened after that, we don't know.

I know it's loaded when talking about Brian's family, management, friends, etc. and I've done my best to be respectful when talking about "those around him". Honestly, both meet & greets I participated in were professional and the people helping made it an enjoyable experience.

The only reason this was connected back to the 2012 and 2013 bogus autographs is because there is a precedence. I'm sorry, the solution to not getting duped into buying bogus signatures is not to say "You know the history with Brian Wilson and forged signature, so just stay away" it's to ask the question of why this happened and get it rectified.

Further, there is a link between the 2012 and 2013 forged signatures and potentially autopen/stamped/pre-printed books--starting next year, the Pet Sounds VIP includes a signed copy of I Am Brian Wilson and no other memorabilia will be signed. Can we be assured these will be genuine hand-signed books?

Keep attacking me, I can take it. This is very personal to me. I've been collecting autographs for 30 years and it breaks my heart that Brian is tangled up in this mess, even worse that this isn't the first instance.

Marty:

I don't get it, why insert this into the conversation? It comes off as trying to diminish genuine concerns. Here are the options:

1. Premiere Collectibles committed fraud - doesn't seem likely considering their reaction to the situation.
and/or
2. The book publisher committed fraud
and/or
3. Brian's team committed fraud
and/or
4. Brian committed fraud

Each of these books came with a certificate of authenticity stating it was personally signed by the author--these are very serious allegations. If I recall, this is not the first time something like this has happened with Brian and autographs.

You saw the email that was recently sent out. Through all the correspondence from Premiere, including their contact with "management", the assumptions could be drawn into conclusions that Brian's management (who you and others here and elsewhere didn't hesitate to suggest fraud before knowing anything) found out about this as most other fans found out. And they were - I'm sure - angry, upset, and trying to figure out what happened and how it could have happened. As it's something beyond their control, they just reached out to people via email, and I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that this situation is not being ignored and was not a deliberate attempt at fraud.

You and others started posting with suggestions of fraud, and began tying it in with previous issues from 2012-13, it felt like you were trying to build a case against them and pile on despite no one yet knowing what had happened with these books and Premiere's orders that didn't have Brian's autograph. Did you or did you not say they don't get the benefit of the doubt?

I'll repeat what I posted earlier in this discussion. Brian signed - according to the email it turns out more than was even witnessed by Ray when he was there to witness Brian personally signing hundreds of them - and those were delivered as agreed. Done deal on their part. It goes to the publisher to be put into the books - as described. The publisher in this case was the one who struck the deals with third-party sellers like Premiere - as described. They shipped to Premiere, who sold them to Premiere's customers - as described. Premiere did not deal directly with anyone in Brian's management or around him - they went through the publisher who was the one responsible for manufacturing the books using whatever printers they used, as described.

Premiere stepped up and admitted to the customers that these auto-signs slipped through their quality control inspections, and said they will work to ensure similar cases won't happen again. They admit, they dropped the ball and didn't catch this before shipping the items to their customers.

"Brian's management", if you go back to some of the early Facebook posts from Premiere said that from their end, what they delivered were genuine Brian autographs that Brian personally signed (and which people watched him sign). Whatever happened that those signatures they delivered did not end up actually in the books sent to Premiere, was the mystery and they didn't know the what's or the how's other than they delivered as agreed.

All of those pieces were on the table via Facebook exchanges as linked here and elsewhere. And the email just sent out confirmed that the matter is being looked into by "Brian's management" although they were not directly involved in the transaction between Premiere and the publisher who dealt with Premiere.

Is that enough to give them the benefit of the doubt, with an eye toward making this right or at least getting an answer for what happened?

Marty, I know the 2012-13 situations are upsetting to you, and I agree - I hate to see fans in any way think they're getting something special only to find out someone else signed it. Beyond that, as I said, I know nothing and can add nothing to that issue. If you have more information or can find people who do know what happened, possibly who did this or what could have happened, feel free to post that info, I'd like to see it myself. If someone (or someones) specific did this in 2012-13, see if you can find out more details and post them. But I'd suggest it's a separate issue from what happened here with the books, and should be addressed as such - Separate thread perhaps? Maybe another board member reading that thread will know more of the info you're asking about.

In this case with the books, maybe consider waiting for info to be found out and more questions answered. I'm sure everyone wants to know how this happened, and it's already being worked on making it right for the fans who were affected.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:38:25 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2016, 10:43:13 AM »

Marty, why would I comment on something I know nothing about? If you're looking for comments on those issues, I'd suggest reading through some of the Facebook comments at the links that have been getting posted from the autograph club and the comments by Premiere, it seems some comments have been posted about what you're asking me about here. Weigh them accordingly as you see fit.

Take a second to read the post above where I quote acedecade75 and provided photos. It certainly is possible that Brian bears no blame in the current situation with Premiere Collectibles and PC has taken responsibility for their part in the screw up. The fact that so many people pointed directly to Brian or his "team" has everything to do with past actions. If you know nothing about something, read up and learn. Keeping your head in the sand on the issue is no excuse. Feel free to comment once you become more educated on this particular subject.

Marty, spare the bile and read the Facebook comments if you want to read the comments about what you're asking about, these signatures from 2012 and 2013. I don't know anything about how that happened or what happened other than what fans have been posting. What could I say? I have the same info posted by fans as most of us do. If you want to read what others say could have happened, read them. Whatever I say about it is coming from the same bleacher seats as everyone else reading the posts.

Now, my turn. You've been trying to hang Brian and his management over this book situation here and elsewhere. You've even gone so far as to put out a suggestion that Brian committed fraud. To me, it sounds like you have an axe to grind beyond this book situation, and you're using this to help sharpen that axe. And you're putting information out there which you don't know, but are going with anyway.

Look at what has come out so far. Brian signed what he agreed to sign, people witnessed him signing those hundreds of autographs (see Ray Lawlor's post, he was there and saw Brian sign them), and they were handed over to be put into the books. Whatever happened after that part of the process that led to these issues is out of Brian's hands, after the autographs were handed over as agreed, and should make your comments suggesting Brian committed fraud completely moot and false. Some of Premier's original comments back that up. On Brian's end, on BriMel's end, according to the posts, Brian signed them and they were delivered. Done deal.

If you want to tie this into some issues from 2012 and 2013, you're doing a solid job of it. Pursue those issues, find the info and get whatever names you're looking for, but don't try to shift topics and suggest Brian and "his team" are involved in fraud and deceit based on what people who may or may not still be part of that team had done 4 years ago.

It's obvious you are trying to hang this on Brian and "those around him" (to borrow a phrase from another thread), and when the strong possibility is raised that they may not have been aware of this after handing over the signatures Brian actually signed and was witnessed signing, you try to connect this to previous incidents and cases which may or may not have involved people who are no longer in the "those around Brian" category.

You want to make jokes about my head in the sand instead of trying to hash out the issue at hand, which you have been pounding on multiple forums? You want to talk about the issue of these auto-pen signatures getting into Premier's supply line and possible ways that could have happened, or try to link it to the new set of issues from previous years which you've brought up and are trying to shift the discussion toward since Premier's statement? Get your facts straight and check your grudges at the door first, and we'll talk facts. Deal?

There really isn't more to discuss until Da Capo Press or BriMel explains how this happened--Premiere Collectibles has explained their role and came with a solution for those who purchased the books. I personally don't think the solution goes far enough, as they are leaving non-genuine signed books in circulation, at some point those books will be resold and the buyer will be SOL.

My response on the first page laid out the scenario and all parties involved, as far as we know, and to leave Brian out would be inaccurate--I never suggested Brian committed fraud. I think Brian's only role in this saga was signing the 500 title pages that Ray Lawlor personally witnessed him sign. What happened after that, we don't know.

I know it's loaded when talking about Brian's family, management, friends, etc. and I've done my best to be respectful when talking about "those around him". Honestly, both meet & greets I participated in were professional and the people helping made it an enjoyable experience.

The only reason this was connected back to the 2012 and 2013 bogus autographs is because there is a precedence. I'm sorry, the solution to not getting duped into buying bogus signatures is not to say "You know the history with Brian Wilson and forged signature, so just stay away" it's to ask the question of why this happened and get it rectified.

Further, there is a link between the 2012 and 2013 forged signatures and potentially autopen/stamped/pre-printed books--starting next year, the Pet Sounds VIP includes a signed copy of I Am Brian Wilson and no other memorabilia will be signed. Can we be assured these will be genuine hand-signed books?

Keep attacking me, I can take it. This is very personal to me. I've been collecting autographs for 30 years and it breaks my heart that Brian is tangled up in this mess, even worse that this isn't the first instance.

Marty:

I don't get it, why insert this into the conversation? It comes off as trying to diminish genuine concerns. Here are the options:

1. Premiere Collectibles committed fraud - doesn't seem likely considering their reaction to the situation.
and/or
and/or
and/or
4. Brian committed fraud

Each of these books came with a certificate of authenticity stating it was personally signed by the author--these are very serious allegations. If I recall, this is not the first time something like this has happened with Brian and autographs.

You saw the email that was recently sent out. Through all the correspondence from Premiere, including their contact with "management", the assumptions could be drawn into conclusions that Brian's management (who you and others here and elsewhere didn't hesitate to suggest fraud before knowing anything) found out about this as most other fans found out. And they were - I'm sure - angry, upset, and trying to figure out what happened and how it could have happened. As it's something beyond their control, they just reached out to people via email, and I'd give them the benefit of the doubt that this situation is not being ignored and was not a deliberate attempt at fraud.

You and others started posting with suggestions of fraud, and began tying it in with previous issues from 2012-13, it felt like you were trying to build a case against them and pile on despite no one yet knowing what had happened with these books and Premiere's orders that didn't have Brian's autograph. Did you or did you not say they don't get the benefit of the doubt?

I'll repeat what I posted earlier in this discussion. Brian signed - according to the email it turns out more than was even witnessed by Ray when he was there to witness Brian personally signing hundreds of them - and those were delivered as agreed. Done deal on their part. It goes to the publisher to be put into the books - as described. The publisher in this case was the one who struck the deals with third-party sellers like Premiere - as described. They shipped to Premiere, who sold them to Premiere's customers - as described. Premiere did not deal directly with anyone in Brian's management or around him - they went through the publisher who was the one responsible for manufacturing the books using whatever printers they used, as described.

Premiere stepped up and admitted to the customers that these auto-signs slipped through their quality control inspections, and said they will work to ensure similar cases won't happen again. They admit, they dropped the ball and didn't catch this before shipping the items to their customers.

"Brian's management", if you go back to some of the early Facebook posts from Premiere said that from their end, what they delivered were genuine Brian autographs that Brian personally signed (and which people watched him sign). Whatever happened that those signatures they delivered did not end up actually in the books sent to Premiere, was the mystery and they didn't know the what's or the how's other than they delivered as agreed.

All of those pieces were on the table via Facebook exchanges as linked here and elsewhere. And the email just sent out confirmed that the matter is being looked into by "Brian's management" although they were not directly involved in the transaction between Premiere and the publisher who dealt with Premiere.

Is that enough to give them the benefit of the doubt, with an eye toward making this right or at least getting an answer for what happened?

Marty, I know the 2012-13 situations are upsetting to you, and I agree - I hate to see fans in any way think they're getting something special only to find out someone else signed it. Beyond that, as I said, I know nothing and can add nothing to that issue. If you have more information or can find people who do know what happened, possibly who did this or what could have happened, feel free to post that info, I'd like to see it myself. If someone (or someones) specific did this in 2012-13, see if you can find out more details and post them. But I'd suggest it's a separate issue from what happened here with the books, and should be addressed as such - Separate thread perhaps? Maybe another board member reading that thread will know more of the info you're asking about.

In this case with the books, maybe consider waiting for info to be found out and more questions answered. I'm sure everyone wants to know how this happened, and it's already being worked on making it right for the fans who were affected.

I'm not sure what your objection is beyond tying this to the fake signatures coming from official Beach Boys/Brian Wilson sources in 2012-2013. I believe this is a valid concern since some of these issues have come up during meet & greets involving Brian in the past (i.e. the forged signature on the photo given out at the Atlantic City event)--"I Am Brian Wilson" is part of the 2017 VIP package, you don't think there is any reason for concern? Can fans be assured they will be hand-signed? Will they be pre-signed or will Brian sign them right in front of you?

My guess is you are hung up on my typing this (and at the time, only Premiere Collectibles and responded):

Here are the options:

and/or
and/or
and/or
4. Brian committed fraud

The above still remains true, those are the entities involved. The reason I put and/or was because we didn't know who was to blame. Now we have a little more information and both Premiere and BriMel are saying it was an issue with the publisher. We still don't have all the information. I still don't understand the reason for pre-printed/autopen/facsimile signatures--I think this still needs to be explained. I think it's great that BriMel and Premiere Collectibles are offering a solution, but it still leaves the possibility of these fugazi books popping up on the secondary market for years to come.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2016, 10:49:07 AM »

This thread is the first time I have heard of 2012 Brian signatures being fake.  Or any Brian tour merch autographs being fake. Am I missing a discussion?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2016, 11:49:56 AM »

This thread is the first time I have heard of 2012 Brian signatures being fake.  Or any Brian tour merch autographs being fake. Am I missing a discussion?

Those 2012 discussions might be spread across different threads. But yes, there was discussion concerning mainly the $100 autographed programs (there were also $50 signed group photos) that some of Brian's signatures (apparently not all?) didn't match other known contemporary signatures.

I'm not sure where the allegations that Foskett was signing came from.

Some of those C50 signature examples did look questionable.

I do know that, separate from a specific discussion of the C50 autographs, I have seen other incorrect assertions/assumptions about supposed telltale signs of a fake.

The autopen thing is obviously quite provable. When someone else is allegedly signing, but still individually signing each piece, the whole thing becomes much more messy. Again, the weird thing even going back to C50 is that Brian *was* also signing autographs. It's not like he was being kept away from everyone Howard Hughes style with no actual confirmed legit autograph. I'm not saying this proves there weren't fakes. Rather the opposite; it makes investigating fakes even more difficult because the motives and timing and reasoning seem all over the map.

Here's one thread from 2013 that looks at a bunch of different supposed real and fake sigs. I don't think there was much in that discussion that I would characterize as "conclusive", but the suspicions aren't unfounded either:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15507.100.html

But again, some supposed signs of "fakes" such as a closed "B" in his first name are inconsistent, as people who have larger collections of in-person autographs report wide variances.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 11:57:29 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2016, 12:39:55 PM »

Below is merchandise either purchased via the official merchandise table or official websites. All of these items, in the opinion of autograph experts, bear non-authentic signatures of Brian Wilson--one of the first experts I saw bring this to light is Roger Epperson, a well-respected autograph expert who specializes in rock n' roll. I do not own any of these items, but have collected these photos over the past couple of years:

Gershwin Tour poster

C50 program

C50 program

2013 Atlantic City meet & greet photo
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »

And the Gershwin autograph looks pretty different from the other alleged fakes, further muddying the whole thing (especially if the theory was that one single person was continuously signing).

While I'll once again say that the "fool me once..." motto is *not* an excuse for fake autographs in any way whatsoever, I would also simply as advice offer anyone that if they've spent several years collecting pictures of purported fake autographs specifically purchased through official merchandise outlets of the artist in question, I'm surprised one would ever buy anything of that sort again (other than I suppose a pre-authenticated autograph) and stay away from anything other than in-person personally obtained autographs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2016, 01:20:02 PM »

And the Gershwin autograph looks pretty different from the other alleged fakes, further muddying the whole thing (especially if the theory was that one single person was continuously signing).

While I'll once again say that the "fool me once..." motto is *not* an excuse for fake autographs in any way whatsoever, I would also simply as advice offer anyone that if they've spent several years collecting pictures of purported fake autographs specifically purchased through official merchandise outlets of the artist in question, I'm surprised one would ever buy anything of that sort again (other than I suppose a pre-authenticated autograph) and stay away from anything other than in-person personally obtained autographs.

If you are referring to me, the only autograph I have purchased of Brian Wilson that could be sourced to his official merch table or website is the No Pier Pressure LP, which I believe to be authentic. In addition to the LP, I purchased the PBS Special with autographed insert via PBS, which I subsequently sold, but believe to be authentic, as well.

There are numerous reasons to collect exemplars of Brian's signature (both real and forged), but it is mainly for educational purposes. People should know what they are buying and it is clear from the response to this thread that many fans were unaware of past issues.

Look, I'm a fan of both Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. This has led me to purchase various memorabilia, including autographs. My passion for autographs goes beyond Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys and being knowledgeable about their signatures allows me to buy signatures on the secondary market and inform other fans about what is good and what is bad.

I've taken abuse both publicly on this board and via PM. My only motivation is to make sure fans and collectors are informed and don't purchase fake items--that's it.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2016, 02:04:58 PM »

My main point is that if one believes there was rampant fake autograph sales taking place between 2011 and the present, through a variety of channels (merch stand, VIP packages, online sales, etc.), then I think it really would have to be pretty firmly a case of "don't buy any autographs you haven't seen Brian sign with your own eyes, or had pre-authenticated by an expert."

This would include the PBS packages, any third parties selling autographs (e.g. Premiere), and so on.

I think sufficient doubt has been raised in this and other threads. Obviously, nowhere near every fan or potential autograph buyer is going to see this board. But within the realm of spreading the word on this board, I think sufficient dougt has been raised that people can make their decisions.

I *do* think enough doubt exists that I almost certainly wouldn't buy an autograph for any premium. If something I want happens to come with an autograph (e.g. the PBS Blu-ray), then that's fine I suppose. But between the questionable C50 autographs, *someone* in the chain with this new book introducing autopen signatures into the mix, and discussions online, there's a good amount of doubt around now. I don't think there's enough evidence to say with 100% certainty what's going on (and of course the Premiere thing is further muddied by a larger amount of go-betweens), so I can't say who is doing what. Also, while I've seen some signatures that I'd say very obviously raise questions, I've seen others purported to be fake that I'm less inclined to say raise questions.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:14:02 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 29, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »

This would include the PBS packages, any third parties selling autographs (e.g. Premiere), and so on.
I don't mean to derail, but I recall folks here generally asserting that BW's signature for the PBS package seemed to look legit.

I never specifically solicited an opinion on mine (I'd like to think it's the real-deal), but here it is for reference, anyway:

beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2016, 07:59:07 PM »

I agree that the signed PBS sets look to be legit. Wish I would have bought one!

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2016, 08:06:19 PM »

Yes, I should be clear, as I've mentioned before, that I have a signed PBS Blu-ray and it looks legit by all standards. I think it's legit.

In my previous post, I was only saying that if one had significant doubts about a variety of Brian signatures of recent years, I wouldn't expect them to pursue something even like the PBS signed Blu-ray, or at least try assume it was going to be legit.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 08:06:55 PM by HeyJude » Logged

beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2016, 08:13:11 PM »

A friend showed me some signed posters they were selling at the recent BW San Diego show and they looked good. If I was there, I probably would have bought one.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2016, 08:19:21 PM »

A friend showed me some signed posters they were selling at the recent BW San Diego show and they looked good. If I was there, I probably would have bought one.

There were signed posters specifically for the two San Francisco shows I saw too and those looked correct and legit as well.

Generation42
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 29, 2016, 08:42:39 PM »

In my previous post, I was only saying that if one had significant doubts about a variety of Brian signatures of recent years, I wouldn't expect them to pursue something even like the PBS signed Blu-ray, or at least try assume it was going to be legit.
Understood.  Smiley
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 29, 2016, 09:32:22 PM »

There were signed posters specifically for the two San Francisco shows I saw too and those looked correct and legit as well.

Whoops, I meant San Fransisco!

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2016, 08:31:36 AM »

Be careful, these fakes are still showing up on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-AM-BRIAN-WILSON-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPHED-BRAND-NEW-1ST-ED-BOOK-COA-BEACH-BOYS-/381847788539?hash=item58e7e6dbfb:g:K4cAAOSw44BYKIYN
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2016, 06:29:28 PM »

I reported it. I messaged the seller with a link to this thread and gave them 24 hours to take the listing down before I reported it.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2016, 10:00:34 PM »

I reported it. I messaged the seller with a link to this thread and gave them 24 hours to take the listing down before I reported it.
Still not pulled. Someone else should file a complaint.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2016, 06:07:56 PM »

And another one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-Am-Brian-Wilson-A-Memoir-SIGNED-by-Brian-Wilson-2016-NEW-/262728018767?hash=item3d2bcf6b4f:g:xj0AAOSwImRYGn9j

A little more than a month after publication and they are still showing up on the secondary markets. The genies out of the bottle, these will continue to pop up.

While were at it, this seller is claiming that 50 of these uncut TWGMTR cd booklets were sold via the Beach Boys official website. In my opinion, these are bogus Brian Wilson signatures with authentic Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks signatures:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322314075142?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2016, 11:01:46 AM »

I have to agree with you.  Those Brian Wilson signatures on the uncut booklets all look bad.  They also match the bogus Brian Wilson signatures that tuned up of some of the autographed C50 tour programs in the merchandise booth.

And another one:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/I-Am-Brian-Wilson-A-Memoir-SIGNED-by-Brian-Wilson-2016-NEW-/262728018767?hash=item3d2bcf6b4f:g:xj0AAOSwImRYGn9j

A little more than a month after publication and they are still showing up on the secondary markets. The genies out of the bottle, these will continue to pop up.

While were at it, this seller is claiming that 50 of these uncut TWGMTR cd booklets were sold via the Beach Boys official website. In my opinion, these are bogus Brian Wilson signatures with authentic Mike Love, Al Jardine, Bruce Johnston and David Marks signatures:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322314075142?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have to agree with you.  Every one of those Brian Wilson signatures looks bad.  They also match the bogus Brian Wilson signatures that tuned up some of the C50 autographed tour programs in the merchandise booth.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 11:03:50 AM by acedecade75 » Logged
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »

My local Barnes & Noble says they'll have signed copies of I Am Brian Wilson available Black Friday weekend.  I'm thinking of checking it out but I'll have to look back at this thread when I see it.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx