gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:54:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some "signed" Brian books not actually signed  (Read 31651 times)
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2016, 11:09:05 AM »

If you purchased a signed copy of Brian's book from Premiere Collectibles, there is a chance it may not be an actual autograph from Brian. While some of the books from PC appear to be unique and authentic autographs, there's a batch of them that are exactly identical and must have been stamped or auto-penned.

Premiere Collectibles is trying to sort this all out and are allowing returns and will refund the full price. They will email you a pre-paid shipping label in order to return the books.

The signatures are noticeably smaller than Brian's usual autograph, and the marker is extremely thick and bold. The photo I included is the signature to look out for. Many people have the exact same one in their books. If you bought a signed book from Premiere Collectibles and it looks just like this, initiate a return and get your money back.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:54:52 PM by beatle608 » Logged

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 12:14:07 PM »

Another sign is that the letters start with blobs. Clear cut autopen sign.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 12:25:50 PM »

If you purchased a signed copy of Brian's book from Premiere Collectibles, there is a chance it may not be an actual autograph from Brian. While some of the books from PC appear to be unique and authentic autographs, there's a batch of them that are exactly identical and must have been stamped or auto-penned.

Premiere Collectibles is trying to sort this all out and are allowing returns and will refund the full price. They will email you a pre-paid shipping label in order to return the books.

The signatures are noticeably smaller than Brian's usual autograph, and the marker is extremely thick and bold. The photo I included is the signature to look out for. Many people have the exact same one in their books. If you bought a signed book from Premiere Collectibles and it looks just like this, initiate a return and get your money back.

Wow, this is a really big deal. How did you learn about this? Did you purchase a book via Premiere Collectibles?
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 12:39:24 PM »

Wow, this is a really big deal. How did you learn about this? Did you purchase a book via Premiere Collectibles?

I did purchase one from them. I noticed when I was on eBay and saw that someone was selling a book with a signature just like mine. I asked around and found out that other people had received the same autograph.

I posted on Premiere Collectible's facebook page and made sure they were aware of it. Other folks chimed in with photos of their books and they all looked the same. While Brian's management supposedly said that they were each signed by Brian, Premiere agreed with us that they were not.

Brian introduced The Little Girl I Once Knew by saying that the first two notes sounded "Chinese," but not to worry because the rest of the song was "American."    
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 01:04:27 PM »

I did my best to capture the conversation on Premiere Collectibles Facebook page:

Very disappointing, to say the least. This is becoming a pattern and Brian's fans are being ripped off.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:05:15 PM by Marty Castillo » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:31:04 PM »

*insert crowing AGD comment here*

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 01:42:34 PM »

*insert crowing AGD comment here*

I don't get it, why insert this into the conversation? It comes off as trying to diminish genuine concerns. Here are the options:

1. Premiere Collectibles committed fraud - doesn't seem likely considering their reaction to the situation.
and/or
2. The book publisher committed fraud
and/or
3. Brian's team committed fraud
and/or
4. Brian committed fraud

Each of these books came with a certificate of authenticity stating it was personally signed by the author--these are very serious allegations. If I recall, this is not the first time something like this has happened with Brian and autographs.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 01:49:05 PM »

PC says that Brian's manager and his team witnessed him 'signing' them. If the claim is true then a massive 'Fail' but big ups for the refund option from PC.

Nice job to beatle608 and others for the follow-up.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »

PC says that Brian's manager and his team witnessed him 'signing' them. If the claim is true then a massive 'Fail' but big ups for the refund option from PC.

Nice job to beatle608 and others for the follow-up.

Agree, nice job by beatle608 for discovering this.

I disagree that offering a refund makes up for sending customers stamped or autopenned books--replacement books actually signed by Brian is the only way to rectify (and maybe refund the purchase price, as well). I purchased the Mike Love signed book from them, but missed out on the limited supply of Brian Wilson books.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 02:09:54 PM »

Oh I doubt if this will be the end of it. A company such as this will not be impressed that they appear to been had. A immediate refund is their only option but I suspect they will want some redress from said 'managers/ team'.

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 02:43:03 PM »

Shame that this happened.  Brian's offered many signed items on his website in the past with no issues.  I'd imagine signing today a couple hundred books is probably not how he wants to spend a day.  Still though; pretty offensive for his team to think no one would notice or care if they were stamped/autopenned.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 03:22:59 PM »

Maybe Mike can sign a copy of Brian's book?  Grin
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 03:42:20 PM »

It seems Premiere has pulled the book from their website.  Either that or they sold out.  Because I put "I Am Brian Wilson" into their search engine and the first result was Mike Love's book.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 03:50:09 PM »

As someone who also has a fake Brian autograph...well, I'm glad I didn't pay for it. PC is doing the right thing by offering refunds and whoever in Brian's team authorized this clear fraud should be fired immediately. This could get ugly otherwise.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:41:51 PM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 04:02:51 PM »

It's shocking and fraud.  I and a few others have posted here about fake C50 programmes and Gershwin tour posters.  Brian's management should be making good on all of the things that have been 'fake' signed over the last few years.  They read these boards and so to continue doing it, except in a different way, is showing contempt to fans of Brian Wilson.

Maybe Premier Collectibles will sue the publishers. Brian's 'team' might then get the message.

There are some legit ones like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/I-AM-BRIAN-WILSON-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPHED-BRAND-NEW-1ST-ED-BOOK-COA-BEACH-BOYS-/252596279914?hash=item3acfe95a6a:g:-pwAAOSwo4pYCWPj
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:05:54 PM by mikeddonn » Logged
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 09:55:55 PM »

The main reason why I am so vocal about this is because I want it to get back to Brian's management. It's fraud and also concerning to know that they approve of this behavior.

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2016, 04:26:43 AM »

I have no idea where the responsabilities start and end here, but sure it's a real pity when these things happen.

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 05:48:18 AM »

I have no idea where the responsabilities start and end here, but sure it's a real pity when these things happen.

Well, I assume that the root of the issue stems from Brian and/or management (most likely the management) offering up these exclusive deals to places like Premiere Collectibles and giving them fakes.  I guess you could try to make the case for Premiere being at fault, but I don't think they'd respond the way did on Facebook if they perpetrated the scam.  The buck has to stop at Brian and team.  They need to publicly take responsibility and make things right.  I understand that Brian probably doesn't want to spend hours over several days signing these books, but if that is the case, then you don't offer up these deals.  Period.  End of story.  Selling fake or autopen signatures can't be defended in this case and being that it's Brian's name, whether or not he was personally in on it, it falls on him.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 06:25:06 AM by CosmicDancer » Logged

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 06:02:46 AM »

Oh I doubt if this will be the end of it. A company such as this will not be impressed that they appear to been had. A immediate refund is their only option but I suspect they will want some redress from said 'managers/ team'.
The damage to Premiere Collectibles is very real. How they address the situation will have long term effects on a company that had an impeccable reputation. My guess is they will need to require one of their representatives be present or a third party authenticator at future book signings.

Shame that this happened.  Brian's offered many signed items on his website in the past with no issues.  I'd imagine signing today a couple hundred books is probably not how he wants to spend a day.  Still though; pretty offensive for his team to think no one would notice or care if they were stamped/autopenned.
This was not a "mistake"--there was intent to defraud both Premiere Collectibles and their customers/his fans.

Maybe Mike can sign a copy of Brian's book?  Grin
Please explain. Is this a joke? I really don't know how anyone could make light of this situation. You added absolutely nothing to this discussion. Disgusting.

It seems Premiere has pulled the book from their website.  Either that or they sold out.  Because I put "I Am Brian Wilson" into their search engine and the first result was Mike Love's book.
They sold out almost immediately. The book remained on the page until recently with a note that they may get additional supply, I never saw additional offers...

As someone who also has a fake Brian autograph...well, I'm glad I didn't pay for it. PC is doing the right thing by offering refunds and whoever in Brian's team authorized this clear fraud should be fired immediately. This could get ugly otherwise.
Honestly, the correct response from Premiere Collectibles is a full refund AND a replacement in exchange for the return of the autopen/stamp book. These books need to be returned and destroyed, otherwise you will see these popping up for resale for decades to come and those less informed will purchase unknowingly.

It's shocking and fraud.  I and a few others have posted here about fake C50 programmes and Gershwin tour posters.  Brian's management should be making good on all of the things that have been 'fake' signed over the last few years.  They read these boards and so to continue doing it, except in a different way, is showing contempt to fans of Brian Wilson.

Maybe Premier Collectibles will sue the publishers. Brian's 'team' might then get the message.

There are some legit ones like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/I-AM-BRIAN-WILSON-SIGNED-AUTOGRAPHED-BRAND-NEW-1ST-ED-BOOK-COA-BEACH-BOYS-/252596279914?hash=item3acfe95a6a:g:-pwAAOSwo4pYCWPj
My guess is that this will be settled behind the scenes. It's clear from Premiere Collectibles' response that they will be keeping this as quiet as possible (i.e. contacting buyers via e-mail). The problem with that is a number of these books have already been "flipped" on the secondary market--remember, that is how this was first detected, books popping up on eBay.

Why does this keep happening? Jeff Foskett was the scapegoat for the past 4 or 5 years...not in the organization anymore. Was it actually Foskett doing the "secretarial" signatures on tour or someone else still on the payroll?

The main reason why I am so vocal about this is because I want it to get back to Brian's management. It's fraud and also concerning to know that they approve of this behavior.
Well done. Thank you for bringing this to light.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:42:51 PM by Marty Castillo » Logged
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 06:13:33 AM »

Well, I assume that the root of the issue stems from Brian and/or management (most likely the management) offering up these exclusive deals to places like Premiere Collectibles and giving them fakes.  I guess you could try to make the case for Premiere being at fault, but I don't think they'd respond the way did on Facebook if they perpetrated the scam.
The only fault I see with Premiere Collectibles is not having one of their representatives or a third party authenticator witness the signings. My guess is it comes down to cost. Premiere Collectibles has/had an impeccable reputation that has been sullied by this affair. I missed out on buying the BW book, but have bought at least a half dozen books from them in the past and receiving anything other than the 100% genuine article never crossed my mind. I assume they have always relied on a signed contract or a witness to attest to authenticity--my guess is that policies may need to change to regain the trust of their most loyal customers.

The buck has to stop at Brian and team.  They need to publicly take responsibility and make things right.  I understand that Brian probably doesn't want to spend hours over several days signing these books, but if that is the case, then you don't offer up these deals.  Period.  End of story.  Selling fake or autopen signatures in this case can't be defended in this case and being that it's Brian's name, whether or not he was personally in on it, it falls on him.
I have no idea how these sorts of deals get made in the first place:

- Is it part of the original deal with the book publisher/record company that ensures a certain number of books/LPs are signed to help push sales?
- Are these deals made on top of the book publisher/record company deal and it's added income?

Either way, Brian is capable of signing autographs. I personally witnessed him sign two in Detroit a month ago. He might very well be sick of it. Ringo Starr famously stopped signing eight years ago. Has he taken flack from fans? Sure, but at least he is being honest saying he has had enough.
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 07:27:20 AM »

My previous post on this matter was too non-committal, and I realise it coud be accused of excessive "brianism".
But I was really uncertain about the technicalities of this situation. After doing a bit of research, I'm feeling free to say that what happened sucks, and a full explanation and/or apology (accompanied by adequate actions) by the "BW team" would be in order.
However, makes me even more satisfied with sticking strictly to the music and caring nothing whatsoever for all the "merchandising" part of the music business. And by that I mean signed books, too.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:28:34 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
beatle608
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 07:52:24 AM »

I understand that Brian probably doesn't want to spend hours over several days signing these books, but if that is the case, then you don't offer up these deals.  Period.  End of story.

I couldn't agree more.

I'd be happier if I was told "Brian cannot fulfill the request" instead of sending out some phony "signed" books and then lose trust in Brian's management. They screwed up big time and I truly hope this gets back to whoever thought this was acceptable. 

Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »

My previous post on this matter was too non-committal, and I realise it coud be accused of excessive "brianism".
But I was really uncertain about the technicalities of this situation. After doing a bit of research, I'm feeling free to say that what happened sucks, and a full explanation and/or apology (accompanied by adequate actions) by the "BW team" would be in order.
However, makes me even more satisfied with sticking strictly to the music and caring nothing whatsoever for all the "merchandising" part of the music business. And by that I mean signed books, too.

Yes, it would be great to get an follow up response from BW management, after the initial denial. Hopefully as entertaining and creative as the reasons for cancelling that UK tour a while back, lol.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 08:59:45 AM »

Having roadies and assistants sign stuff for artists is  a long-standing Rock n Roll tradition!
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 09:18:37 AM »

Having roadies and assistants sign stuff for artists is  a long-standing Rock n Roll tradition!
In my opinion, there is a huge difference between Neil Aspinall signing for John, Paul, George and Ringo in 1964, and passing off Brian Wilson autobiographies as genuinely signed in 2016 and charging fans a premium.

Even Jeff Foskett, allegedly, bringing things on the tour bus to be signed and coming back out with "questionable" looking signatures is different--this is more along the lines of the long-standing rock n' roll tradition that you speak of.

I'm baffled by the number of posters minimizing the seriousness of the situation. This is stomach turning and nothing short of fraud.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 04:44:09 PM by Marty Castillo » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx