gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:37:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Passings of Bobby Vee and Pete Burns of Dead Or Alive  (Read 1834 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »

Two musicians whose names are rarely if ever mentioned in the same breath, but gone within a few hours of each other nonetheless. RIP.

(Can't think of any particular connection Pete Burns had with our guys, but Bobby Vee played on the same bill with them at the Hollywood Bowl 54 years ago this coming Thursday.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:26:46 PM by rn57 » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »

Bobby Vee was part of the soundtrack of my early years at grammar school. I remember this one particularly fondly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssCLB6Y8zjA

As for a connection between Pete Burns and our guys, I did turn up this tenuous one:

1966, The Beach Boys started recording ‘God Only Knows’. It became a UK No.2 single in 1966 and the B-side of ‘Wouldn’t It Be Nice’ in the US.

1985, Dead Or Alive were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘You Spin Me Round (Like A Record). It was the first No.1 for the production team of Stock, Aitken and Waterman who went on to produce over 100 UK Top 40 hits.

Source: http://daily.plaympe.com/on-this-day-march-9-black-sabbath-the-beach-boys-dead-or-alive-the-clash-notorious-big-more/

May they rest in peace.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 08:38:48 AM »

https://youtu.be/raMmNx0cWRo

I had the feeling Bobby had done a BBs cover but it took some Googling to find out what it was - "Here Today." Link is above.
Arrangement by Leon Russell.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:04 AM »

It's posted in the Rolling BBs cover thread. Just little fyi. But I'd like to say, as you mentioned him, that Leon Russell is great. A very skillful pianist, among the best imo.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 10:05:37 AM »

Oh man, Bobby Vee still gets played a lot here on the radio with this great recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awNqLO6auQA

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 01:02:31 PM »

Oh man, Bobby Vee still gets played a lot here on the radio with this great recording:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awNqLO6auQA

Right. I heard that one myself only recently. Those were some times!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 02:51:26 PM »

Take Good of My Baby and You Spin me Round (Like a Record) are both amazing songs. Two great singers gone so close.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx