-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:51:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Musical Discussion: The Bee Gees
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Musical Discussion: The Bee Gees  (Read 9528 times)
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2016, 08:10:13 PM »

Howdy y'all I'm just interested in seeing how you guys feel about the Bee Gees. Overall I think they are HUGELY underrated and were one of the first bands I ever loved.

What's the consensus/individual opinions of you guys?  Afro
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 08:56:41 AM »

A very underrated band. I started a similar thread back in 2013 here :

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16716.0.html

There are some good posts, it would be great to revive this discussion with the current board membership.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 08:57:22 AM by D409 » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:05:37 PM »

Perhaps the two topics can be combined?

Their first album is definitely the one for me. "Holiday" knocked me flat when I first heard it in '67:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJmRdE3WBgE

That said, just about everything I've heard them do has been pretty classy. Their take on disco was one heck of an achievement.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »

I liked their disco stuff.
But LOVE their early material (early as in US releases - need to check out other songs talked about such as Spicks and Specks)

Holiday is incredible. And my all time favorite - New York Mining Disaster 1941. Remember hearing that the first time back then and thinking "What the ---!"
Those early songs are so beautiful. But sad lyrics for the most part.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 04:17:52 PM »

The Bee Gees are one of those groups that I had "rediscovered" in recent years, just as I have developed a much greater respect for the Beach Boys with maturity. Both were really just background music in my formative years. (Unfortunately, I heard most music via my Panasonic AM radio, not the ideal source.) But with the magic of YouTube, I've been blown away with their work. Sure, some songs are fails, but that is par for the course with such a long-lived group career and large catalog. No other group, with the exception of the Boys, can take my breath away, giving me a feeling of transcendence.
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 04:45:40 PM »

They also seem to have been consistently kick-ass live performers, based on what I can find on YT. Unlike with our Boys, I've yet to see a performance in which they did not deliver, in spades, never off with those breathtaking harmonies. I'm learning more about their relationships with each other and and challenges that they faced. Mo had severe issues with alcohol, for instance, making him less-than reliable at times, and Robin was addicted to amphetamines for a while, resulting in some seriously out-of-control behaviors. Barry recently spoke of the sometimes painful sibling rivalry in the group, and his deep regret that he and his brothers were "not friends" when each passed. But that music...
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 08:08:22 PM »

'Night on Broadway" is a song that I always liked, but when I saw them perform it on the Midnight Special, I was simply blown away. It's on YouTube - I revisit it when I want to be mesmerized.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 09:29:43 PM »

Love their late 60s stuff - particularly their third album which features "To Love Somebody".... one of the best albums of 1967 for my money. Not so big on their later disco stuff, though I have a strong soft spot for "How Deep Is Your Love"
Buckethead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »

Yes, Robin asked that "How Deep is Your Love" be played at his funeral. I've also read an interview with, I believe, Barry, who said that the songs on SNF were, by and large, written prior to being asked to contribute to the movie's sound track, that they were not going for a disco, so much as an R&B sound. I was not a big fan of this era, either, in part, I think, because I heard their SNF songs within the disco context, so never gave them a fair hearing. Then there was the over saturation... But as I watch/hear live performances of them, I've actually grown fond of a few, although I think they would have benefited from exploiting the voices of Robin and Maurice to a larger degree. I'll leave with this little gem, Robin and kiddoes singing the Isle of Man's  "alternative" anthem, Ellan Vannin (Manxian for the Isle of Man).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DECeG5mZOjI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: