gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:28:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Proposed 'Bootleg' page for unreleased material  (Read 2931 times)
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2016, 12:46:50 PM »

Could a Bootleg service quite alike beachboyscentral.com not be reintroduced as a means to release uncommercial material more efficiently?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:34:26 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 01:40:12 PM »

I Love that idea!!!! lets do it!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 04:19:37 PM »

That sounds amazing!
MarkJason
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 04:28:02 PM »

Great idea.  Hope to see it online in 2017!
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »

This is a great idea!

Jon G.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 06:30:11 PM »

Let's make it happen! Give us fans what we want!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 11:41:36 PM »

BRI and Capitol have officially released a lot of the more obscure material on 'Made in California', the 'Good Vibrations Box Set' etc. without much reception. I think they feel a lack of commercial incentive in releasing the Brother Reissues: Bonus Tracks, Cows in the Pasture, Lei'd in Hawaii etc.

I would like to discuss the possibility, and in turn feasibility of an official 'Bootlegs page' dedicated to the fans, like this: http://massiveattack.ie/bootlegs/. It would be an appropriate solution as the Box sets are superfluous and inefficient.

If it is not approved due to commercial reasons, then might I add that it could potentially be monetised. It would be in the interest of everybody, but most importantly, the music. All the unreleased music deemed worthy of an official release could be dumped on here. It solves every conceivable problem that the fans; and the people in charge have about this music lying in the can. The latter would no longer have to sit on all this material. Of course they would still have to be rather selective about what exactly is released, so as to avoid legal situations, but it is undoubtedly an elegant solution.

I sincerely hope this is considered with some passion. It is not an idea entirely original to me, a lot of fans have quietly argued for this; and have had good reason to do so. Any suggestions would be great.

If all we are talking about are bootlegs, as in, "Seattle, WA July 1979, soundboard recording", then that is one thing.  But there is another side to this.  

It is not in the interest of everybody- pretty much just the fans.  And "having to sit on this material" is not really a problem.  It does not solve "every conceivable problem", in fact it just solves one problem- that you want to hear as much rare sh*t as possible.  

If I were an artist that created things that many people wanted to buy, I would feel personally violated if I created something (let's say, a song called "Oh Lord") that I didn't want to see released, yet the "fans" went ahead and gained possession of it and distributed it against my obvious wishes, under the guise of "it is most important for the music, and for us, the fans".  No.  It is not your decision to make, and honestly, you shouldn't really have any say in the matter.  

There is certainly a wide spectrum to this argument though, and there are many instances where things like this can be great and don't really have any... moral negativity.  Perhaps an example is when a track is studio cut, finished, and ready for release, but not just included on the final product (We Got Love).  Clearly many people wish that BRI would be structured in more of a way to be fluid and receptive to these kinds of things.  I would love to see them release rarity tracks on special occasions for download only, to benefit charitiable causes.  But, that is not reality at this point and I think it is important to also keep in mind how BRI is clearly and obviously handling their archive of unreleased music.  
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 12:04:25 AM by Kid Presentable » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 09:22:38 AM »

I think one of the problems with the perceived attitude of BRI is that, while various members may have specific things they actively *don't* want to see released, the roadblock on their side of things may be more disinterest or laziness of lack of vision.

They've released a myriad of outtakes in the past. I don't think we're going without deluxe, expanded sets of key albums because there's a standing order at BRI to not open the archives. I think it's more that nobody cares (among the BBs/shareholders). There may also be some idiosyncratic, typical BB-style reasons it's not happening.

Maybe BRI thinks there isn't a market for BB outtakes. But Capitol and BRI haven't explored it yet. The "Made in California" set was NOT a way to test the market for releasing outtakes. It was a bloated set that had too many outtakes for casual fans and too many tracks already owned countless times over for hardcore fans.

The train of thought at Capitol and BRI appears to be doing stuff like the PS anniversary set and GV anniversary vinyl single. Tired retreads with little new content.

The "Copyright Extension" releases are cases where we should be thankful that the archive team is doing everything they can with a likely shoestring budget, but those aren't good ways to test the market for a well-done, thorough, respectable archive program either. Those have been nice "dumps" of archival material. But they're scattershot, mostly download-only, have horrible bootleg-quality cover art, and so on. The nicest thing to come out of that series is the "Party" set. The one thing that actually did get a full physical release, with at least *better* if not amazing cover art, was arguably among the *least* substantive of albums they could have done a "Deluxe" set focusing on.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »

Wasn't this kind of the purpose of beachboyscentral.com which is no longer an active link and never materialized?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2016, 12:41:18 PM »

Wasn't this kind of the purpose of beachboyscentral.com which is no longer an active link and never materialized?

Yep, and we (not surprisingly) never got any answers as to why that never took off. I think we can all imagine the politics and business involved in any BB project.

It's totally possible that a specific member or members put the kibosh on the whole thing for a very specific reason concerning wanting to block the release of outtakes. But I'm guessing it's not particularly that, and a bunch of other passive machinations involved.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2016, 01:33:36 PM »

''If I were an artist that created things that many people wanted to buy, I would feel personally violated if I created something (let's say, a song called "Oh Lord") that I didn't want to see released, yet the "fans" went ahead and gained possession of it and distributed it against my obvious wishes, under the guise of "it is most important for the music, and for us, the fans".  No.  It is not your decision to make, and honestly, you shouldn't really have any say in the matter.''

Revised my opinion and feel it would be silly to put up this service too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 01:36:50 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 01:52:20 PM »

You're ok PetSmile..basically you're proposing what the Beach Boys Central site was supposed to be.

edit...had to fix post...phone autocorrected your name to PetSmart
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 01:52:52 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx