gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680720 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:48:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's 2 new tracks on PBS Stuff  (Read 17781 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2016, 08:12:05 AM »

Now the waters have gotten really muddy. Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2016, 08:28:10 AM »

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2016, 08:35:25 AM »

It seems like there were two separate thumb drives with these 50th packages. Could one have been a UK package and the other a US package?

With the difference being the addition of a Noven Jaisi video which has been on YouTube...I can't see the benefit. Maybe someday the entire "Still Tourin'" documentary that Noven was teasing via YouTube will be on a thumb drive too.

Nor can I see where the benefit would be by including a modern remake of Sloop John B tacked to the '66 promo film. But I'm repeating myself.

Anyone else hear that intro as vintage '66 audio before it goes into the modern remake?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 04, 2016, 09:11:40 AM »

That definitely sounded like the 1966 intro.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2016, 10:12:25 AM »

I agree it sounds just like it. When I first heard it, I thought that Mike's band was doing a dead-on imitation, but maybe it's a lift of the actual track?

I guess the actual waveforms could be compared for a conclusive answer?

As tacky as I think that is to use the actual 1966 recorded intro (if that's what is in fact on here), I have to say that it comparatively didn't bother me (due to context) when the original Do It Again drum intro was used on the 2011 Do It Again remake. Probably because the point was for the band to be reunited, and it was more like a Free As A Bird type of lifting a deceased bandmember's part as an homage. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 10:13:54 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Patricia Ferrelli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2016, 09:16:03 PM »

The date on the properties on my USB flash is May 20.  Maybe later versions of this drive did not include the second video. 

Very interesting. Patricia (or anyone else), do you have the USB drive from last year’s tour? HeyJude mentioned it earlier in the thread and I’m still very curious as to what’s on it.

Unfortunately, I didn't get last year's USB drive from last year.  I know that in 2014, the USB drive had the complete "Shut Down Vol. 2" and "All Summer Long" albums.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2016, 11:02:58 PM »

Aside from the mysteries discussed in this thread ... WHY IS MIKE'S TEAM SELLING USB DRIVES? What a weird thing to sell.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2016, 08:22:49 AM »

I agree it sounds just like it. When I first heard it, I thought that Mike's band was doing a dead-on imitation, but maybe it's a lift of the actual track?

I guess the actual waveforms could be compared for a conclusive answer?

As tacky as I think that is to use the actual 1966 recorded intro (if that's what is in fact on here), I have to say that it comparatively didn't bother me (due to context) when the original Do It Again drum intro was used on the 2011 Do It Again remake. Probably because the point was for the band to be reunited, and it was more like a Free As A Bird type of lifting a deceased bandmember's part as an homage. 

The difference is who was participating on "Do It Again" as The Beach Boys 5 years ago and the purpose of that, versus a remake of Sloop that's under a Beach Boys umbrella, cut to footage of the song's original 1966 promo film featuring the Beach Boys, yet only has Mike prominently featured on the track.

If the USB drive had featured the original '66 promo with the original audio track from '66, it wouldn't be an issue at all. If the track were billed as a Mike Love solo track specific to a Mike Love release and not "The Beach Boys", the issues would be far less muddy. But neither happened.

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »

Aren't Mike and Bruce using the original Sloop intro when playing the song live? As a sample on Tim's keyboard? If so, it's not a long stretch to think that they used that for the rerecording, is it?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2016, 07:35:51 AM »

The stretch isn't that they used it, the stretch is asking what purpose does it serve to have Mike putting out remakes or what amounts to cover/tribute versions of 50 year old songs and putting them with the original film instead of just including the original package from '66 intact.

Question for "Fall Breaks" : What other audio samples from the original records are the band running samples of at their live shows? Some pointed out Good Vibrations based on a few video appearances where they played it live, are there others?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2016, 07:50:07 AM »

An even simpler alternative, if Mike was inclined to include video footage on a USB drive, would be to just put some footage from his live show on it. Even just take one of those lazy Noven Jaisi clip job compilations and set Mike's re-recording to that.

Or he could have even shot video of the recording session for the re-recording and used b-roll footage from that.

BRI should be concerned about how original BB footage, the BB name and trademark, vis-à-vis Mike's tour and solo recordings are being billed and marketed.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2016, 08:33:01 AM »

That concern would possibly be shared by both BRI and Capitol. The muddying of the waters between what is a Beach Boys recording versus a Mike Love recording wouldn't seem to do much for promoting the legacy of the original recordings, that legacy being a topic that came up even in the interviews with Jim Hirsch. There has to be a standard moving forward.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2016, 09:37:23 AM »

Surprised Mike missed the opportunity to market it as Surfin' USB.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2016, 09:46:58 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2016, 11:38:33 AM »

I would guess a fair amount of VIP package buyers never even do anything with the USB, especially if it has some other function (bookmark, etc.).

Who still sticks a USB into a computer to extract a video file?

The whole thing seems very late 90s, when audio CD's were "enhanced" with little pixelated Quicktime videos you had to extract via computer.

You'd think they'd just cut the manufacturing cost out and just e-mail people audio or video exclusives.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:39:28 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2016, 04:30:12 PM »

Winner! 

In all seriousness, I think if the shoe was on the other foot MIke would be all over this claiming the brand is being weakened. He went after Alan and Brian for seemingly less. I don't think Brian and Al want the fight at this stage of the game.  Capitol on the other hand might.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2016, 07:20:59 PM »

November 7th can now stand as the day when you won the internet with that post.  LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 07, 2016, 07:27:38 PM »

:D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mathen_
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2016, 11:53:33 AM »

Just listened to it, ugh. There's no reason to do that, Love. Wall
By the way, I'm 99% sure that the intro is a the original recording, but half-step higher and with some frequency filtering on it. If you listen carefully, you can hear a quiet thump in the background, on the last beat of the first measure in both the original and Love's rerecording. There's also some conversation in the background, something that is not very likely to be caught in modern recordings. The characteristic hiss in the intro also stops once Love's vocals come in.

https://vimeo.com/189864245
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2016, 01:38:42 PM »

November 7th can now stand as the day when you won the internet with that post.  LOL

I'm honored Smiley Mike really should use that slogan!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx