gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:57:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's 2 new tracks on PBS Stuff  (Read 17732 times)
rock72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2016, 07:21:04 PM »

Anybody have the 2 newly recorded BB tracks by Mike Love form PBS. Willing To Share?
Thanks!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 12:31:40 AM »

yeah, I'd be keen to hear them too, and maybe purchase if they are good.
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 08:23:47 PM »

I would love to hear them! I wonder if they will put them on Mikes new solo albums when it come oust?
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »

I'd love to hear these too!  :-)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 09:25:24 PM »

I would love to hear them! I wonder if they will put them on Mikes new solo albums when it come oust?

Ha! Mike's new solo album! Like that's ever gonna come out. No way.

And this coming from me, who would actually buy it! I've been waiting for a while for him to put something out.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 02:56:42 PM »

What exactly are the two new tracks?
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 03:10:07 PM »

I got 3 new re-recordings that sounds great:
- do it again
- Sloop john b
- Surfin usa
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 03:17:16 PM »

Who sings the lead on Sloop John B?
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 05:56:55 PM »

Mike sings lead throughout.

The track is included in a video on the USB drive that accompanies the 2016 VIP tour program coffee table book.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 07:19:19 PM »

Kind of like the later 60's version of Dean and ?'s Surf City are they?  Re-recorded but to what end?  To satiate the old rear-end himself?  And once again he participates in ripping the public off with his sub-standard 'take' on 'art'.  A pox on him and everything he supposedly represents.  [only himself]

I wouldn't buy his crap or even listen to it with YOUR money or your ears.  He completely disgusts me.  Ungrateful tub o' rat's  poop.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
pudge104
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 07:29:01 PM »

Where can you buy these at?
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 02:21:39 PM »

Mike sings lead throughout.

The track is included in a video on the USB drive that accompanies the 2016 VIP tour program coffee table book.

bit of a swizz having that as the only file when his shop/gumroad described it as "a USB bookmark containing Beach Boys footage" -  technically true (it's overdubbed on the orig video - looks nice) but still.

Just listened and it's actually not bad.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 05:19:22 PM by wild neon sins » Logged

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 04:39:32 PM »

They overdubbed Mike's solo recording onto the old Beach Boys promo film? That's pretty lame if that's the case.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 06:15:15 PM »

No thanks with a Mike lead on that.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2016, 08:57:22 AM »

I'm surprised these tracks haven't popped up on YouTube yet. You can listen to Mike's 80s Hyatt Regency jingles on YouTube, but not these songs?  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 09:12:23 AM »

Kind of like the later 60's version of Dean and ?'s Surf City are they?  Re-recorded but to what end?  To satiate the old rear-end himself?  And once again he participates in ripping the public off with his sub-standard 'take' on 'art'.  A pox on him and everything he supposedly represents.  [only himself]

I wouldn't buy his crap or even listen to it with YOUR money or your ears.  He completely disgusts me.  Ungrateful tub o' rat's  poop.

High Five Rock! Happy Dance Pirate Thumbs Up Listening w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2016, 09:13:39 AM »

I'm surprised these tracks haven't popped up on YouTube yet. You can listen to Mike's 80s Hyatt Regency jingles on YouTube, but not these songs?  LOL
I agree, weird inconsistent policy. If they were at Youtube, people could download them via clipconverter.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »

I'm surprised these tracks haven't popped up on YouTube yet. You can listen to Mike's 80s Hyatt Regency jingles on YouTube, but not these songs?  LOL
Why do you torture yourself? LOL LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2016, 11:08:15 AM »

http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,46140.msg2973711.html#msg2973711 (thread nsfw for language)

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 11:24:16 PM »

Nice version,  many thanks!  Now I'd love to hear the other ones!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2016, 06:42:26 AM »

I was only able to listen on cheapie speakers (will have to try headphones later). The "Sloop" re-recording definitely sounds more faithful to the original than, say, the Adrian Baker-helmed covers from the 90s. The whole thing still sounds rather sterile and soulless, but it's certainly professional and workmanlike. Could have been worse I guess?

Mike's voice sounds relatively synthetic; somewhat like his voice on "Alone on Christmas Day" from last year. It's either pretty processed and/or there's a smidgen of autotune going on. The whole exercise seems rather pointless to me, and plastering the solo Mike recording onto the original BB promo film is pretty ridiculous. Does anybody really think Mike wouldn't have blown a stack if, say, in 2004, Brian had released a USB drive with the original Beach Boys "Good Vibrations" promo film, but with Brian's re-recording dubbed onto it?

I suppose Capitol may own the "Sloop" promo film rather than BRI; I can't imagine BRI would have signed off on that sort of misappropriation of a vintage Beach Boys film.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 06:43:11 AM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2016, 06:55:42 AM »

HeyJude: Me too. Not owning the product itself, is that clip exactly what came included with Mike's GV VIP package on the thumb drive? It's one thing to remake the songs, it's another to put it to the original Capitol promo film from '66.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2016, 08:01:26 AM »

I of course don't have the USB and just viewed the clip posted on Vimeo. But someone previously had described that the USB was supposed to have "footage", and what it amounted to was indeed the original promo film with Mike's solo recording pasted over it.

What a weird choice of song, and a weird choice of the context with which to present it. I guess the PS anniversary is the only tie-in I can think of to explain the song choice, and of the "well known" PS songs, it's the only song that Mike could feasibly sing the entire lead on.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2016, 08:23:10 AM »

I was only able to listen on cheapie speakers (will have to try headphones later). The "Sloop" re-recording definitely sounds more faithful to the original than, say, the Adrian Baker-helmed covers from the 90s. The whole thing still sounds rather sterile and soulless, but it's certainly professional and workmanlike. Could have been worse I guess?

Mike's voice sounds relatively synthetic; somewhat like his voice on "Alone on Christmas Day" from last year. It's either pretty processed and/or there's a smidgen of autotune going on. The whole exercise seems rather pointless to me, and plastering the solo Mike recording onto the original BB promo film is pretty ridiculous. Does anybody really think Mike wouldn't have blown a stack if, say, in 2004, Brian had released a USB drive with the original Beach Boys "Good Vibrations" promo film, but with Brian's re-recording dubbed onto it?

I suppose Capitol may own the "Sloop" promo film rather than BRI; I can't imagine BRI would have signed off on that sort of misappropriation of a vintage Beach Boys film.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2016, 09:04:35 AM »

Remember Mike did blow a stack back in 2004 that kept blowing into years of legal filings, defeats, and appeals over a UK Sunday publication putting an archival Beach Boys photo showing Mike with the group, onto a giveaway CD featuring Brian that was exclusive to subscribers of that publication in the UK.

So this seems to be in line with what Mike objected to 12 years ago, it's Mike's remake recording of a Beach Boys song that is playing over 1966 footage of the Beach Boys, including Brian, Carl, Dennis, and Al who had nothing to do with this specific recording.

Odd.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx