gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680994 Posts in 27625 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 13, 2024, 05:36:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike's 2 new tracks on PBS Stuff  (Read 17829 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »

Not owning the product itself, is that clip exactly what came included with Mike's GV VIP package on the thumb drive?
It is.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »

Not owning the product itself, is that clip exactly what came included with Mike's GV VIP package on the thumb drive?
It is.

OK, that's confirmed. I don't own this item as I said, but are there other similar examples and what are they? GV has been mentioned too...did they remake that one as well and put it on old film footage?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »

OK, that's confirmed. I don't own this item as I said, but are there other similar examples and what are they? GV has been mentioned too...did they remake that one as well and put it on old film footage?

There’s only one file on the USB drive and it’s that “Sloop” video.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2016, 09:15:21 AM »

Is this the first BBs related USB Stick-Only release?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 09:24:20 AM »

Sloop is the only file on the USB stick, that's confirmed.

The issue is also where does Capitol stand on this in general, not even limited to this one situation. Ultimately Capitol controls the release and reissues of a Beach Boys song like "Sloop" - Would they be on board with releasing something like this remake by Mike and have it for sale next to the original Sloop John B recording as a Beach Boys release? I have to think not. If fans who aren't as aware were to see this: "Sloop John B by The Beach Boys", they'd most likely think they're buying the Capitol single from '66 and from Pet Sounds, not a remake featuring only Mike.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2016, 09:25:31 AM »

I believe last year some of Mike's VIP packages came with what was described as:

"Autographed USB laminate loaded with 2 albums of exclusive VIP-only re-mastered content"

I would assume that Mike didn't record two exclusive albums two years ago that we don't know about, so I would imagine it's simply two BB albums or compilations or something (I guess ripping CDs to MP3 for a USB stick could technically be a unique, "exclusive" remastering).

I think releasing albums via "USB bracelet" was a fad for like five minutes around a decade or so ago. I learned this via Ringo releasing his "Liverpool 8" album in the format. I figured it might be "collectible" someday, but I think they go for dirt cheap.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2016, 09:28:06 AM »

I was unaware of that until HJ's post - Now the question for anyone who bought that previous "stick". What was on those two "exclusive" albums of re-mastered content? Were there remakes on that too? And where did the remastering come from?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2016, 09:28:17 AM »

The issue is also where does Capitol stand on this in general, not even limited to this one situation. Ultimately Capitol controls the release and reissues of a Beach Boys song like "Sloop" - Would they be on board with releasing something like this remake by Mike and have it for sale next to the original Sloop John B recording as a Beach Boys release? I have to think not. If fans who aren't as aware were to see this: "Sloop John B by The Beach Boys", they'd most likely think they're buying the Capitol single from '66 and from Pet Sounds, not a remake featuring only Mike.

My general understanding is that Capitol can repackage original BB albums and material (as in originally released under contract in the 60s) without any BRI approval, but release of outtakes from the 60s (of which Capitol still owns the recordings) does require BRI approval.

So I have no idea where this scenario would fall. It's a film, not an audio recording, and it has had a non-Beach Boys recording dubbed over it.

I would have to assume Mike's team got all the proper clearances. Capitol most likely owns the film, and perhaps if you pay to license the film from Capitol, you can dub barking dogs or a Hall & Oates song over it if you want.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2016, 09:29:06 AM »

I believe last year some of Mike's VIP packages came with what was described as:

"Autographed USB laminate loaded with 2 albums of exclusive VIP-only re-mastered content"

I would assume that Mike didn't record two exclusive albums two years ago that we don't know about, so I would imagine it's simply two BB albums or compilations or something (I guess ripping CDs to MP3 for a USB stick could technically be a unique, "exclusive" remastering).

I think releasing albums via "USB bracelet" was a fad for like five minutes around a decade or so ago. I learned this via Ringo releasing his "Liverpool 8" album in the format. I figured it might be "collectible" someday, but I think they go for dirt cheap.

That is hilarious. I guess that's the only "wearable" clothing article that doubles as a Beatles physical release. Mike too should try selling his new album as an article of clothing, via a baseball cap with the buckle at the back of the hat being a USB stick.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:30:56 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2016, 09:31:58 AM »

That is hilarious. I guess that's the only "wearable" clothing article that doubles as a Beatles physical release. Mike too should try selling his new album as an article of clothing, via a baseball cap with the buckle at the back of the hat being a USB stick.

I'm sure Mike will use this idea for his 2017 tour, and the USB stick will come loaded with his solo re-recording of "Surf's Up" dubbed over the Bernstein special footage.  3D

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2016, 09:32:50 AM »

I'm sure Mike will use this idea for his 2017 tour, and the USB stick will come loaded with his solo re-recording of "Surf's Up" dubbed over the Bernstein special footage.  3D

One can dream  LOL
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »

My general understanding is that Capitol can repackage original BB albums and material (as in originally released under contract in the 60s) without any BRI approval, but release of outtakes from the 60s (of which Capitol still owns the recordings) does require BRI approval.

So I have no idea where this scenario would fall. It's a film, not an audio recording, and it has had a non-Beach Boys recording dubbed over it.

I would have to assume Mike's team got all the proper clearances. Capitol most likely owns the film, and perhaps if you pay to license the film from Capitol, you can dub barking dogs or a Hall & Oates song over it if you want.

But the brand and name licensing is for promoting and advertising the tours and live shows, it's not for recording. Otherwise you'd have "The Beach Boys" existing as anything other than the Beach Boys' recorded legacy, whether barking dogs edited to the GV promo or remakes of old hits being sold as Beach Boys hits. It's absolutely no different from Ringo or Paul releasing remakes of Beatles songs as "The Beatles" when it's only them, it has to be released under their own names as solo artists, not the band (and brand).

And I don't think Capitol would want remakes being sold under the band's name and identity alongside the actual band's catalog. I thought there were provisions in the agreements specific to what can be released under the name.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2016, 09:35:16 AM »

One can dream  LOL

Sounds like a nightmare.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2016, 09:39:11 AM »

I think the issue would be whether the re-recording is clearly labeled as a Mike Love solo recording.

Being a USB release with a file on it as opposed to a CD single or other sort of "physical release", *clear* labeling and things not being misconstrued as being a "Beach Boys" product do indeed become more difficult to discern.

I would assume (or at least hope) something on the "USB bookmark" specifies that the recording is a solo recording, and that the file itself is labeled as such.

But certainly, I'd say pasting his *solo* re-recording over a vintage "Beach Boys" promo film is probably more potentially misleading and prone to cause consumer confusion than a lot of the things that have been complained about in the past (Brian's freebie CD with a BB pic on it, Al's touring in 1999, etc.).

I personally think even if the USB drive and file are clearly labeled as a Mike solo recording, pasting it onto BB footage is still misleading and inappropriate. But I would guess if he did label these things as such, he's probably not violating the license or BRI guidelines. Now, BRI is not a robot, and this would be a good example of something where BRI shareholders could step in and say "hey, I think that's going overboard and is misleading, please stop." But I doubt that occurs, unfortunately.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2016, 09:43:28 AM »

You can see, by the way, how Mike's tour merchandise is split between "licensed" and "doesn't need a license." Simply put, if it says "The Beach Boys" on it, it's licensed and BRI gets a cut.

But if he sells t-shirts that just have pictures of woodies or a newly-commissioned "Good Vibrations" art piece or whatever, BRI doesn't get a cut of any of that.

I guess it boils down to whether the BRI license puts any restriction on *what* Mike can sell at shows or via VIP packages, etc. I'm guessing he can sell anything he wants, and obviously he has to pay BRI for licensed material with the BB trademark on it. But I would guess he could sell candy bars, Nike sneakers, and Depeche Mode CDs at this stand if he wants. So technically, a Mike Love product is just another product. (Muddied in this case by use of BB footage).

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2016, 09:47:55 AM »

If this is included in a "Beach Boys" book, and the audio in the package is not the original recording by The Beach Boys yet shows them in an archival video for that original single release...let's just say the waters are very muddy.

I'd think there are certain things in place to prevent this, otherwise the NASCAR album and even "Be True To Your Bud" in years past could have been labeled "The Beach Boys" and fans who didn't know better would think they're buying a Beach Boys recording when it was not. It's about the legacy of the records themselves, just like Ringo or Paul cannot issue solo remakes and label them The Beatles. It waters down the brand and the legacy.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2016, 09:49:16 AM »

You know, when I bemoaned the switch away from physical media, a freaking USB stick is not what I had in mind.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2016, 09:50:51 AM »

You know, when I bemoaned the switch away from physical media, a freaking USB stick is not what I had in mind.

Maybe it'll eventually move to just downloading your "exclusive VIP" content at the show via the tour's WiFi hot spot.  LOL

I also think it's ironic to sell a USB stick and only put one thing on it, even though it could potentially hold more data than CD.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 09:56:24 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2016, 09:55:29 AM »

If this is included in a "Beach Boys" book, and the audio in the package is not the original recording by The Beach Boys yet shows them in an archival video for that original single release...let's just say the waters are very muddy.

I'd think there are certain things in place to prevent this, otherwise the NASCAR album and even "Be True To Your Bud" in years past could have been labeled "The Beach Boys" and fans who didn't know better would think they're buying a Beach Boys recording when it was not. It's about the legacy of the records themselves, just like Ringo or Paul cannot issue solo remakes and label them The Beatles. It waters down the brand and the legacy.

Exactly. This is sufficiently muddy.

A CD with a Mike recording labeled as the BBs? Easy, no-go.

A USB stick with a Mike recording labeled as the BBs? Also, no-go.

A DVD labeled as a Beach Boys promo film with a Mike Love audio soundtrack? Muddy, but unfortunately probably okay.

A USB stick under the same scenario as the hypothetical DVD above is also muddy, though I would argue that the USB stick being less of a "physical product" actually makes proper labeling more difficult.

I think it boils down to BRI needing to properly delineate what the "touring" license entails. If I were in charge of BRI, I would not allow a product such as this USB stick to be given away or sold in conjunction with the tour in any way. It's just too muddy. You're buying a ticket for the modern "Beach Boys", but you get a USB stick with a film of the old/original "Beach Boys", overdubbed with the touring "Beach Boys" that can't call themselves "The Beach Boys" on a recording, but can on stage. Pffttt.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »

One can dream  LOL

Sounds like a nightmare.
Can we have 2016 Mike digitally inserted next to BW in the footage to complete the history rewrite? Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »

Somebody photoshop Mike into a bernstein video still ASAP!  Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2016, 10:52:20 AM »

Can anyone make a case that replacing the original song on a promo video from 1966 (which has been officially available with the actual 1966 recording) with a modern remake featuring Mike, then putting it into a "Beach Boys" package does anything toward forwarding and maintaining the legacy of the band's music?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »

Nobody with any sense could.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2016, 11:01:24 AM »

*cough* filleplage would.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2016, 11:06:01 AM »

Nobody with any sense could.

Oh, and if that cough gets too bad, take a lozenge. Smiley

LOL
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:07:20 AM by ♩♬ Vegan ♯♫♩ » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx