gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:17:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate  ( 5 is highest)

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am Brian Wilson - Brian Wilson (duh)  (Read 14378 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2016, 09:53:09 PM »

Rate and Review the new autobiography from America's Greatest Living Songwriter

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:55:37 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:08:02 PM »

My copy should be arriving tomorrow. Can't wait!

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »

Curious what will you say. As well as others.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 03:44:36 AM »

Can't wait to read this, still waiting for my book to arrive. Taking too long Angry
Just finished reading Mike's book and have to say it was kind of a mixed bag for me. When Mike's talking personally it's good like when he talks about his family (like his Facebook posts) or when he talks about his opinion on the 50th anniversary but a lot of the book relies on other people's stories. If you've been a beach boy fan for awhile you'll know exactly where Mike got these stories from. The problem isn't these stories but that they are relied on a little too much.  It feels like Mike listing albums like "we recorded friends it was our lowest selling album then we recorded a live album in London ... we recording holland lots of people like it." I was looking forward to his stories on those albums or at least what he thinks of them now but we get this type of thing, feeling more like a typical beach boy biography rather than an actual autobiography.
We get bogged down on the trail case which in my opinion takes up too much time. By the time that is finished it starts picking back up again but then there's not much left.
Because of this Iam looking forward to Brian's book even more now. From the little prieviews iv read it seems like an unconventional read with flip flopping from past to present time which will be refreshing.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:47:15 AM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:03:27 AM »

Can't wait to read this, still waiting for my book to arrive. Taking too long Angry
Just finished reading Mike's book and have to say it was kind of a mixed bag for me. When Mike's talking personally it's good like when he talks about his family (like his Facebook posts) or when he talks about his opinion on the 50th anniversary but a lot of the book relies on other people's stories. If you've been a beach boy fan for awhile you'll know exactly where Mike got these stories from.[/u] The problem isn't these stories but that they are relied on a little too much.  It feels like Mike listing albums like "we recorded friends it was our lowest selling album then we recorded a live album in London ... we recording holland lots of people like it." I was looking forward to his stories on those albums or at least what he thinks of them now but we get this type of thing, feeling more like a typical beach boy biography rather than an actual autobiography.
We get bogged down on the trail case which in my opinion takes up too much time. By the time that is finished it starts picking back up again but then there's not much left.
Because of this Iam looking forward to Brian's book even more now. From the little prieviews iv read it seems like an unconventional read with flip flopping from past to present time which will be refreshing.

Point in bold - My original take on it too. I would have liked more of Mike's voice talking about his take on these various events rather than rehashing the info.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »

Also in the process of reading Brian's book. To me, it conveys the kind of conversation Ive always hoped (fantasized?) to have with Brian. Soft. Flowing. Even poetic.
VERY different than the feel of Mike's book. Pointed. Defending/Refuting. Details.
FYI - Mark Dillon (50 Sides of the Beach Boys) was my co-interviewer of Jim Harsch, Mike's collaborator @ PrayForSurfBlog.blogspot.com [also a recent interview with Dean Torrence on his new book]

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 04:42:31 PM »

It's here!  Grin Time to start digging in! 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 05:17:27 PM »

Awesome...lemme know what you think!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 05:35:44 PM »

Just finished reading Mike's book and have to say it was kind of a mixed bag for me. When Mike's talking personally it's good like when he talks about his family (like his Facebook posts) or when he talks about his opinion on the 50th anniversary but a lot of the book relies on other people's stories. If you've been a beach boy fan for awhile you'll know exactly where Mike got these stories from.[/u] The problem isn't these stories but that they are relied on a little too much.  It feels like Mike listing albums like "we recorded friends it was our lowest selling album then we recorded a live album in London ... we recording holland lots of people like it." I was looking forward to his stories on those albums or at least what he thinks of them now but we get this type of thing, feeling more like a typical beach boy biography rather than an actual autobiography.

Point in bold - My original take on it too. I would have liked more of Mike's voice talking about his take on these various events rather than rehashing the info.
Yes. I guess one example would be when he mentions the Holland airport story where Brian fell asleep (which is taken from elsewhere) but thats as far as he goes with Holland. A lot of the time he his not speaking personally on these things feeling like his just stating facts and figures. I think Mike relied a little too much on the people helping him write the book.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:05:12 PM »

Finally received my copy a few days ago and finished it. What a great read!! It's like reading a whole books worth of Brian's linear notes. I feel like this book was made for die hard Brian Wilson fans and it doesn't disappoint. Love the way it jumps around different time periods. My favourite parts are hearing about Marcella, Love You album, Lucky Old Sun/Gershiwin albums, his adventures with Ray and just simple thinks like walking and the deli. It was interesting to hear Brian's view of how he got Jack Reiley to sing 'Tree'. Very close to how Reiley decribed but a little different. Greenman's presences in the book feels at a low even if it wasn't, and that's how it should be.

It would be interesting to hear from Greenman the backround on how the book was written. I'm guessing the book was made in part from Brian's own writings and the interviews he had with Greenman over the phone all put together. That's why the book kind of feels like Brian is responding to a great interview.

There's really no contest between this and Mike's book. Brian's book gives the fans what they have always wanted from a Brian Wilson Autobiography, pure BW. Mike's on the other hand regurgitates typical BB Biography information for the most part.
Thank you to Ray for helping with this!
5 stars!!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 11:35:38 PM »

Another thing I found touching...Brian talking about Gloria Ramos, and how she was there for him.

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 07:03:45 PM »

I REALLY want to read the transcripts of Ben's interviews with Brian.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 09:18:42 PM »

There's an interview in the Toronto Star showing how the book was written, including info from Greenman.
Sorry I can't post link from my device.

Name of article: Brian Wilson, the voices, and the answers in the music. Toronto Star, 15 Oct 2016.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 09:27:36 PM »

There's an interview in the Toronto Star showing how the book was written, including info from Greenman.

Name of article: Brian Wilson, the voices, and the answers in the music. Toronto Star, 15 Oct 2016.

Thanks!

MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 09:44:13 PM »

Pretty good interview
https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2016/10/15/brian-wilson-the-voices-and-the-answers-in-the-music.html
Gertie J.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »

funny as hell !! love bri !

dj, blogger, and hanger-on
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2016, 10:39:07 PM »

Nice to hear confirmation from Brian that "Just an Imitation" was indeed put to tape back in the day. Keeping my fingers crossed (extremely tightly, that is) that it'll pop up some day. Unlikely, but hey, if they found the master tracks to "Don't Worry Baby" and "Do it Again" some fifty or so years after they went missing, then I guess anything is possible!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
KDS
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »

I just finished reading I Am Brian Wilson.

While the stream of consciousness writing took a little bit of getting used to, I enjoyed it.  I thought it was oftentime amusing, and full of Brianisms. 

"I don't like Jeopardy.  Same old bulls**t" 

He also doesn't gloss over the losses he's suffered in life, his mental illness, or his drug / alcohol issues. 

My one criticism is that it's so short.  After I was done, I felt like I could've read 200-300 more pages. 

But, I'm glad we finally got the Brian Wilson autobiography we deserve.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 12:25:49 PM »

Nice to hear confirmation from Brian that "Just an Imitation" was indeed put to tape back in the day. Keeping my fingers crossed (extremely tightly, that is) that it'll pop up some day. Unlikely, but hey, if they found the master tracks to "Don't Worry Baby" and "Do it Again" some fifty or so years after they went missing, then I guess anything is possible!

As a long time, hardened, sometimes skeptical fan, I always advise people to manage their expectations on this stuff. We've had a few cases where a legendary tape turns up and it's more of the "historically interesting" nature than actually mind-blowing. "Battle Hymn..", the '74 studio demo of "California Feelin'", etc.

But there have been plenty of mind-blowing items that have popped up too.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
leggo of my ego
Smiley Smile Associate

Beach Boys Stomp

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2016, 07:32:17 AM »

I got it as a Christmas gift from my SIL and reading it now.

Except for the non-linear style it feels like you are peeking in Brian's diary. He opens up completely and shares life experiences in a very candid and refreshing way. It is not a book you want to fly through, if you are used to speed reading try to slow down and absorb the feeling of the words. I still have a long way to go so this isn't a full review, just my thoughts so far and its 2 thumbs up and 5 Big Ones (stars)

Hey Little Tomboy is creepy. Banging women by the pool is fun and conjures up warm summer thoughts a Beach Boys song should.

Necessity knows no law
A bootlegger knows no law
Therefore: A bootlegger is a necessity
zachrwolfe
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 08:55:51 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:22:50 PM by zatch » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 01:22:46 AM »

This was a surprisingly good read! I thought I'd never read another BB/BW book because I'm so familiar with most of the stories but this one really was fun. I love the way it just rambles and I really enjoyed the man's recollections of the making of Love You or the way the book digs into his solo stuff. The Brianisms are all top notch. Gave it a 4/5.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 02:54:41 AM by phirnis » Logged
saborlord123
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 09:21:54 PM »

Just finished reading this book and Mike's book as well. Definitely the better of the two books, IMO. I just enjoy Brian's style of writing better.  Grin
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 01:27:26 PM »

Sorry, this style of writing i just can't get into; it's all over the place. And i must admit, i wonder how much of it came from Brian, and how much was the result of research by the "co-writer".  i give it a 2.
Lawrence Watson
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2022, 11:43:15 PM »

I finished my copy of the book recently. It reads very much more like the transcript of a conversation. Narrative bounces around a lot because of that. It sounds like Brian's voice, though, so that aspect of it rang true for me. It's easy enough to read if you're not looking for narrative structure and don't mind tangential reminiscing. He seemed to really talk about Carl a lot. Like his death seemed very fresh for Brian.

I'd give it a 3/5.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx