gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:23:05 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sensitive Music for Sensitive People- Official Prediction/Suggestion Thread  (Read 11457 times)
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 08:12:44 PM »

i'd love a proper studio recording of Brian and the band's arrangement of She's Leaving Home.

i'd also love to hear him include things that influenced him back in the 50s (besides Chuck Berry) like Four Freshmen, Rosemary Clooney, Hi-Lo's, etc.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »

Not by name, but I think he does mention it at some point. I'm at work so I don't have my copy handy.

The thing about the fairy tale was a mindblower for me.

Won't spoil anything else for you...I thoroughly enjoyed it.  A lot of people have said it (including me at least 5 times!) but it really is like chilling with Brian on the porch while he's telling stories.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »

i'd love a proper studio recording of Brian and the band's arrangement of She's Leaving Home.

i'd also love to hear him include things that influenced him back in the 50s (besides Chuck Berry) like Four Freshmen, Rosemary Clooney, Hi-Lo's, etc.

Rosemary Clooney...yes....I know that would be special for Brian to cover her.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2016, 05:42:34 AM »

This can perhaps go under the "unpopular opinions" thread too, but if I were in Brian's ear for this album I would suggest he dust off Dennis' Sea Cruise track from the mid-70's, strip it down, and build it back up with some sort of arrangement that includes both he and Dennis.
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2016, 07:53:31 AM »

When did Brian cover "Earth Angel?"

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »

I know what you mean...for some reason I think it is going to happen this time.

Spoiler alert for those who haven't read the new autobiography....

He does talk about it in the book...this is something he's wanted to do since 1972...15 Big Ones was intended to be this but didn't pan out. His original plan for the fairy tale before giving up on it was to have it be a suite and have oldies covers in parts.

Interesting. The track listing of the "Brother Rarities" tracks that someone stumbled across a couple years ago includes Brian going into "A Casual Look" while demo-ing the "Fairytale."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 09:09:32 AM »

I think a version of "Easy To Be Hard" recorded by Brian, Blondie, Al and Matt could potentially sound amazing. Brian could sing the verses, and Blondie could do the "Especially people who care about strangers" part.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 10:12:15 AM »

that lyric would fit the album title...

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 03:01:51 PM »

I would be surprised if "I'm Broke", "Honeycomb" and "Keep A Knockin'" aren't included on the upcoming rock 'n roll album since they've all been played live somewhat recently (i.e. the last few years). They all fit the bill for that kinda thing and I'd be surprised if they didn't make the cut. I'd honestly be totally happy with all three making a new album.

As far as the how many covers and how many originals, I'd kinda hope for about a split. And yes, I know this is probably gonna be an unpopular decision, but maybe even an interesting Beach Boys cover.
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »

This can perhaps go under the "unpopular opinions" thread too, but if I were in Brian's ear for this album I would suggest he dust off Dennis' Sea Cruise track from the mid-70's, strip it down, and build it back up with some sort of arrangement that includes both he and Dennis.

I think it would be boss if Brian harmonized up one of Dennis's rockers from the 70s. Not saying he could do better or more soulful than Dennis, but it would undoubtedly be interesting and probably touching in itself. "School Girl" or "What's Wrong" or "Rainbows" or even "River Song," something like that. And, of course, "Tug of Love" is supposed to be about Brian...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 03:09:00 PM by maggie » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »

If Brian did a Dennis song, it'd have to be You and I....that would sound killer

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 03:43:08 PM »

I think it would be boss if Brian harmonized up one of Dennis's rockers from the 70s. Not saying he could do better or more soulful than Dennis, but it would undoubtedly be interesting and probably touching in itself. "School Girl" or "What's Wrong" or "Rainbows" or even "River Song," something like that. And, of course, "Tug of Love" is supposed to be about Brian...

Interesting... where did you hear that about "Tug of Love"?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 07:30:51 PM »

Covers of songs you like by artists you like are always a tough nut to crack.

I was talking to my girlfriend about a band she loves, and the band has done Kickstarter campaigns to fund their albums, and one of the (pricey) donations allows you to pick a song for the band to cover. I guess you can pick any song (or, rather, I think you have to give them a list of three and they pick from those three).

Anyway, it's out of the price range (I think it was like $1500 or something), but I asked her what song she would pick. And we kinda both came to the conclusion that it's impossible to top the versions of songs we like, and we were joking we would pay the $1,500 if the band would just write another new song of their own instead!

Not to be a stick in the mud, though. Some cover versions are great, and I think we all have songs from one artist we love that we'd be curious to hear interpreted by another artist we love.

I think most of Brian's previous covers (from his solo career anyway) have been generally good but not revelatory. Ironically, the live arrangement he did during his first shows in 1999 of "This Could be The Night" would probably be one of the few times I might like Brian's version more than other versions.

I think most indications are that Brian does good but relatively faithful covers of Beatles or McCartney songs. "Wanderlust" was just fine, but nothing earth-shattering.

I like the idea of Brian covering bands or artists that aren't obvious, that he rarely discusses or that we wouldn't immediately think of. I think Brian doing an ELO track could be amazing. Jeff Lynne, while usually going on and on about The Beatles, Del Shannon, and Roy Orbison, I think was very much influenced by the Beach Boys and Brian (allegedly, Lynne bugged folks while working with Brian on the '88 album to get a listen to some "Smile" stuff!), and I'd love to hear Brian take on some of the lush, layered vocals Lynne did on a lot of his ELO stuff.

Because I'm not a big fan of Brian's modern-day attempts to do a "wall of sound", reverb-laden production, I'd probably steer clear of that sort of stuff for him to cover.

Stripped-down musical arrangements with lush vocals would be ideal. So I like the Everly Brothers idea.

I've never been very into Brian's version(s) of "Proud Mary", so normally I'd say I could easily lose that one. On the other hand, he's been talking about it so long, it would be kind of anti-climactic if he *didn't* include it!

I'd love to hear Brian attempt some Emitt Rhodes, maybe "With My Face on the Floor" or "Promises I've Made" or most anything off the self-titled Rhodes album.

Random Lennon idea: The relatively obscure "Out the Blue" from Lennon's "Mind Games" album.

Gerry Rafferty did a very nice version of "Out the Blue" some years back.
I can easily imagine Carl singing a few Emitt Rhodes tunes; not sure if they would work for Brian. Definitely need an Everlys tune on this album - Brian and Al in harmony.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2016, 08:11:29 PM »

Speaking of Gerry Rafferty...if Brian did "Baker St", I could picture Paul Mertens doing a really nice sax bit on it.

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2016, 09:41:53 PM »

well considering the title maybe it will be more like these type of songs,, LOL
1. Hells Bells
2. Helter Skelter
3. smells like teen spirit
4. Girls Girls Girls (Motley Crue)
5. Paradise City
6. Enter Sandman
7. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
8. Beth
9. Sympathy for the devil
10. You shook me all night long
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2016, 09:48:12 PM »

i personally think SMFSP will be a different album from the rock and roll concept....i have a feeling we're getting an album of new originals. Or maybe i am deluding myself into believing that because i want it to be true
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2016, 10:45:40 PM »

Also, if it comes out before the end of this year, I would really hope that he changes the album title to '16 Big Ones.  Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2016, 11:08:54 PM »

well considering the title maybe it will be more like these type of songs,, LOL
1. Hells Bells
2. Helter Skelter
3. smells like teen spirit
4. Girls Girls Girls (Motley Crue)
5. Paradise City
6. Enter Sandman
7. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
8. Beth
9. Sympathy for the devil
10. You shook me all night long

I know this was a joke, but I saw GNR in there, and I *immediately* heard him doing "Patience" in my head. Would NEVER happen, but that would be killer.

pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2016, 12:27:38 AM »

Just listening to my music at the moment...  Grin

Buddy Holly: "Rave On", "Every Day", "Heartbeat"
The Iveys/Badfigner: "Maybe Tomorrow"
Emilio Pericoli: Al Di La
Herb Alpert: "This Guy's in Love With You"
Sammy Davis: "I've Got to Be Me"
Billy J. Kramer: "Bad to Me"
The Kinks: "A Well Respected Man"
Roy Orbison: "Dream Baby"
Spencer Davis: "Gimme Some Lovin'"
Del Shannon: "Runaway"
The Beatles: "Mother Nature's Son"
The Zombies: "This Will Be Our Year", "Hung Up on a Dream", "Gotta Get a Hold of Myself", "The Way I Feel Inside" (Actually, covering Odessey and Oracle would be amazing!)
Bobby Darin: "Beyond the Sea", "If I Was a Carpenter"
J. Frank Wilson: "Last Kiss"

America: "Sister Golden Hair"
Neil Young: "Heart of Gold", "Old Man"
ELO: "Livin' Thing", "Strange Magic"
Faces: "Ooh La La"
George Harrison: "Don't Let Me Wait Too Long"
CCR: "Someday Never Comes", "Lodi"

Frank Sinatra: "My Way"
The Guess Who: "Laughing"
Paul McCartney: "That Would Be Something", "Heart of the Country"
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2016, 08:12:24 AM »

Be My Baby! I dont think Brian has ever given this song a proper cover before!
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2016, 08:14:10 AM »

I want to hear Brian cover one of these (or all of them) from the Nilsson (and Newman) catalog(s):

Cuddly Toy
Good Old Desk
Mr. Richland's Favorite Song
Simon Smith and his Amazing Dancing Bear
Mourning Glory Story
I'll Be Home
Me and My Arrow
Think About Your Troubles
Gotta Get Up
Coconut

But if he definitely is doing a rocking album, the absolute BEST choice would be "You're Breakin' My Heart"  Grin
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2016, 05:07:40 PM »

Simon Smith and his Amazing Dancing Bear
Alan Price. "Hit Music Network - 60s" played it recently - I liked it, good choice.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2016, 06:07:33 PM »

Just listening to my music at the moment...  Grin

Buddy Holly: "Rave On", "Every Day", "Heartbeat"
The Iveys/Badfigner: "Maybe Tomorrow"
Emilio Pericoli: Al Di La
Herb Alpert: "This Guy's in Love With You"
Sammy Davis: "I've Got to Be Me"
Billy J. Kramer: "Bad to Me"
The Kinks: "A Well Respected Man"
Roy Orbison: "Dream Baby"
Spencer Davis: "Gimme Some Lovin'"
Del Shannon: "Runaway"
The Beatles: "Mother Nature's Son"
The Zombies: "This Will Be Our Year", "Hung Up on a Dream", "Gotta Get a Hold of Myself", "The Way I Feel Inside" (Actually, covering Odessey and Oracle would be amazing!)
Bobby Darin: "Beyond the Sea", "If I Was a Carpenter"
J. Frank Wilson: "Last Kiss"

America: "Sister Golden Hair"
Neil Young: "Heart of Gold", "Old Man"
Faces: "Ooh La La"
George Harrison: "Don't Let Me Wait Too Long"
CCR: "Someday Never Comes", "Lodi"

Frank Sinatra: "My Way"
The Guess Who: "Laughing"
Paul McCartney: "That Would Be Something", "Heart of the Country"

THIS!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 06:08:31 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »

Be My Baby! I dont think Brian has ever given this song a proper cover before!

This would be highly appropriate of Brian! Lol
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2016, 06:18:23 PM »

YES!!! STRANGE MAGIC!!!!

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 10:58:11 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx