gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 05:09:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame nominees for 2017 class  (Read 12519 times)
bluesno1fann
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2016, 04:38:35 PM »

I'm very disappointed that The Zombies didn't get in.... but then, as John Lydon said the HOF is a piss stain  LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2016, 05:18:46 PM »

Still came off as an insult , though. You basically told me I'm not a musician, and yeah I take major offense to that.

One thing about me...even if I don't like an artist's work, you will *never* see me accuse anybody of not having any talent. That's the most vile thing a musician (yes, I'm using that word) can say to another.

So here's a challenge... use your computer and install some music creation software. Record an album with it WITHOUT USING PRE-MADE LOOPS OR RIFFS. NO sampling other people's work, either (unless you're sampling ambient studio noise as opposed to any of the actual notes, to create the illusion of it being recorded at, say, Gold Star).  Then upload it somewhere. See if you make  a few hundred off of streams, or have one of the songs used in a commercial, or maybe someone like Matt Ward emails you saying he digs your sh*t and would like to collaborate (and then stupidly turn him down because your wife is pregnant and you don't think you can balance the two right then). Let me know how that works out for you, and THEN we can discuss who is and isn't a musician. You may find that it's not as easy as you think. Not only do you STILL have to have a knowledge of basic music theory, but you also have to be technologically savvy as well.

A musician is defined as "... a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented. Anyone who composes, conducts, or performs music may also be referred to as a musician." I may not currently play a musical instrument (even pre-stroke I lacked the dexterity to be anything more than middling on the bass), but anybody who tries to say I have no talent or is incapable of composing music is full of more sh*t than an overstuffed septic tank.

I equate electronic music to NASCAR.  Sure, it's a skill and it's a competition, and it requires endurance.  But, are they athletes?  That's debatable.

I suggest you do some research on electronic music before you shrug the creator's of it as "posers". I actually used to have the same opinion as you a few years ago. But after doing some research on YouTube on the different genres of electronic music, I was proven wrong. Working closely with Billy on his last album, and his upcoming album opened my eyes to the many possibilities and variations that can be used with electronic music. Believe me, electro music isn't just pounding  thumps.

And yes, it came across as an insult.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2016, 05:11:20 AM »

I never said it's not a skill / talent.  

I don't know...you called us "posers" . I don't know how else to take it. Maybe as a compliment meant ironically? Huh

I equate electronic music to NASCAR.  Sure, it's a skill and it's a competition, and it requires endurance.  But, are they athletes?  That's debatable.

A musician is defined as "... a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented. Anyone who composes, conducts, or performs music may also be referred to as a musician.

You may have a point for those who make their music entirely out of samples (or not), but to say those who actually do create the music from scratch and labor over it meticulously are not musicians, well, that a bit insulting. It's one thing to say they don't like something, but to question another's worth...let's just say I'll never ever understand the need for some people to put down others based on something that they don't get.  That'd be like me saying Baltimore Ravens fans are mouth-breeding knuckle-draggers who like to wear onesies and to be called Rebecca over and over again while they pleasure themselves, just because I don't particularly care for football. That'd be just as stupid and baseless. Pointless bashing ...just acting in an affected manner in order to impress others...which just so happens to be the definition of a poser. Huh. Imagine that.

Those who throw shade are destined to be living in it.

I really should message Brian Eno and tell him  that he just got compared to Jeff Gordon. LOL

Trust me, posting my opinion on an internet forum is not in any way done so to try to impress people. 

I'm sorry if you personally took offense, but my opinion is my opinion. 

And believe me, I've heard all kinds of things said about Baltimore Ravens fans.  Do I really care?  No. 

If you're going to so something in a creative field, you shouldn't take any criticism of said field so personally. 

Happy Festivus.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2016, 11:13:55 AM »

I don't know...you called us "posers" . I don't know how else to take it. Maybe as a compliment meant ironically? Huh

I equate electronic music to NASCAR.  Sure, it's a skill and it's a competition, and it requires endurance.  But, are they athletes?  That's debatable.

A musician is defined as "... a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented. Anyone who composes, conducts, or performs music may also be referred to as a musician.

You may have a point for those who make their music entirely out of samples (or not), but to say those who actually do create the music from scratch and labor over it meticulously are not musicians, well, that a bit insulting. It's one thing to say they don't like something, but to question another's worth...let's just say I'll never ever understand the need for some people to put down others based on something that they don't get.  That'd be like me saying Baltimore Ravens fans are mouth-breeding knuckle-draggers who like to wear onesies and to be called Rebecca over and over again while they pleasure themselves, just because I don't particularly care for football. That'd be just as stupid and baseless. Pointless bashing ...just acting in an affected manner in order to impress others...which just so happens to be the definition of a poser. Huh. Imagine that.

I really should message Brian Eno and tell him  that he just got compared to Jeff Gordon. LOL

Trust me, posting my opinion on an internet forum is not in any way done so to try to impress people. 

And believe me, I've heard all kinds of things said about Baltimore Ravens fans.  Do I really care?  No. 

If you're going to so something in a creative field, you shouldn't take any criticism of said field so personally. 

Happy Festivus.

From this thread and the billboard BB Trump thingy, it's obvious we have one major fundamental difference..I have an issue when people are lumped in together (i.e. "ALL" people who like something are a certain way) and you do not. Point taken.

For the record, the Ravens thing was me being facetious....I even stated as such, that I was trying to prove a point on how lumping people together is ghastly and stupid.

One final word on this (I hope)...I have no issue with someone not liking EDM or my music, or any of my colleague's music. I do have an issue where we are personally attacked.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2016, 11:38:19 AM »

You may have a point for those who make their music entirely out of samples (or not), but to say those who actually do create the music from scratch and labor over it meticulously are not musicians, well, that a bit insulting. It's one thing to say they don't like something, but to question another's worth...let's just say I'll never ever understand the need for some people to put down others based on something that they don't get.  That'd be like me saying Baltimore Ravens fans are mouth-breeding knuckle-draggers who like to wear onesies and to be called Rebecca over and over again while they pleasure themselves, just because I don't particularly care for football. That'd be just as stupid and baseless. Pointless bashing ...just acting in an affected manner in order to impress others...which just so happens to be the definition of a poser. Huh. Imagine that.

I really should message Brian Eno and tell him  that he just got compared to Jeff Gordon. LOL

Happy Festivus.

From this thread and the billboard BB Trump thingy, it's obvious we have one major fundamental difference..I have an issue when people are lumped in together (i.e. "ALL" people who like something are a certain way) and you do not. Point taken.

For the record, the Ravens thing was me being facetious....I even stated as such, that I was trying to prove a point on how lumping people together is ghastly and stupid.

One final word on this (I hope)...I have no issue with someone not liking EDM or my music, or any of my colleague's music. I do have an issue where we are personally attacked.

So, my personal opinion that I don't consider EDM music is a "personal attack"? 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2016, 11:41:46 AM »

I equate electronic music to NASCAR.  Sure, it's a skill and it's a competition, and it requires endurance.  But, are they athletes?  That's debatable.

You may have a point for those who make their music entirely out of samples (or not), but to say those who actually do create the music from scratch and labor over it meticulously are not musicians, well, that a bit insulting. It's one thing to say they don't like something, but to question another's worth...let's just say I'll never ever understand the need for some people to put down others based on something that they don't get.  That'd be like me saying Baltimore Ravens fans are mouth-breeding knuckle-draggers who like to wear onesies and to be called Rebecca over and over again while they pleasure themselves, just because I don't particularly care for football. That'd be just as stupid and baseless. Pointless bashing ...just acting in an affected manner in order to impress others...which just so happens to be the definition of a poser. Huh. Imagine that.

I really should message Brian Eno and tell him  that he just got compared to Jeff Gordon. LOL

And believe me, I've heard all kinds of things said about Baltimore Ravens fans.  Do I really care?  No.  

Happy Festivus.

So, my personal opinion that I don't consider EDM music is a "personal attack"?  
No, but labeling of said artists as "posers" is.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 11:44:32 AM by Ringo Starrfruit » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2016, 12:03:49 PM »

^ yes.Saying we're not musicians even though we fit the dictionary definition of musicians isn't exactly kosher, either. More to the point, you didn't even say EDM musicians, you specifically referred to those who make music with a laptop are posers; I've made mention that I record that way on so many occasions that it definitely seemed like a direct shot at me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2016, 09:20:17 PM »

^ yes.Saying we're not musicians even though we fit the dictionary definition of musicians isn't exactly kosher, either. More to the point, you didn't even say EDM musicians, you specifically referred to those who make music with a laptop are posers; I've made mention that I record that way on so many occasions that it definitely seemed like a direct shot at me.

Ive never noticed you posting that you dabble in electronics, so it was not a direct shot at you.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »

Having spent 15 years recording (and longer as a producer) I think I might have slightly graduated past the dabbling phase...

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx