gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 06:12:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame nominees for 2017 class  (Read 12540 times)
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 02:56:35 PM »

Believe my fan vote was:
Zombies
Tupac
Kraftwerk
Pearl Jam
Janet Jackson
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 06:54:01 PM »

http://observer.com/2016/10/the-2017-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-nominees-are-a-disgrace-to-music/

Article by Lovester champion Tim Sommer, in which he handicaps the chances of the nominees. I haven't checked to see if the odds he gives match what's being offered at Ladbrokes or in Vegas.

But he does make one very interesting point - any lineup of ELO inducted into the Hall of Fame would have to have the co-founders: Jeff, Bev....and Roy Wood.  Not least, because it was Roy who really came up with the basic ELO concept. I wonder if, for old time's sake, he'll step up to the podium in some variation of his vintage '70s garb.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 07:07:15 PM »

Journey? They've got to be kidding. Who next, Air Supply?

Are you familiar with their pre-80s work?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 04:23:24 AM »

Journey? They've got to be kidding. Who next, Air Supply?

Are you familiar with their pre-80s work?

Sadly, yes.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 02:21:44 PM »

https://www.rockhall.com/vote

Be sure to vote everyone, hopefully we can finally get The Zombies in!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »

Thanks to Peter Guralnick for this shout-out to Joe Tex!

This is an act of pure advocacy.

Solomon Burke, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding, Joe Tex – what do these four all have in common? Well, they were all charter members of the near-mythic (no, I mean really mythic, as in “some mythic creature”) Soul Clan, who recorded just one side of one picture-sleeve 45 – without Otis, who had died, without Pickett, who had had an emotional flare-up – but were conceived by Solomon, in typical Solomonic fashion, as a force that might have changed the world. Well, they did – with their music. And three of them are enshrined in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Only Joe Tex, who is on the ballot this year for what well may be the last time, remains excluded.

The first time I saw Joe Tex he was on the same bill with Solomon and Otis (Solomon was the headliner) in a 1964 Soul Summer Shower of Stars, and he more than held his own. As an entertainer, who took great delight in his ability to give pleasure to his audience and in their evident delight with him.  As a songwriter and exemplar of mother wit, dispensing healthy dollops of good humor mixed in with sharp shards of his own earthy philosophy. (Check out songs like “Anything You Wanna Know” or “Grandma Mary” on his brilliant, entirely self-penned album, Buying a Book.) As an effortless performer, endlessly enchanting his audience with his easy onstage manner, lithe dancing, and microphone manipulations. Not for nothing was he known as the Dapper Rapper.

But in the end, what made Joe Tex an intrinsic member of the Soul Clan, dues paid up in full and in perpetuity, was his dedication to Deep Soul (think James Brown’s “Lost Someone,” Solomon’s “The Price,” Otis’s “These Arms of Mine”). Just listen to his breakthrough hit, “Hold What You’ve Got” or, for that matter, “The Love You Save,” self-written like nearly every one of his hits and much of his album material, and see if you can resist the pathos and deep-seated feeling at the heart of his music.

So I’m asking for your vote, the last vote left to us in this Year of Jeremiah (I wonder what Solomon would have to say about that): VOTE JOE TEX FOR THE ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME.

And now I’ll turn over the lectern to Brother Joe.

http://www.peterguralnick.com/post/153171606026/reunite-the-soul-clan-in-the-rock-roll-hall-of

Check this out:

Joe Tex Show - Part 1

The man was an incredible performer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBU9rtviKWc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
KDS
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2016, 10:46:21 PM »

I know one thing. 

If Eddie Vedder gets into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame before Ronnie James Dio, then they might as well shut the whole f**king thing down. 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2016, 04:42:01 AM »

Looking through the past inductees I don't see Captain Beefheart or Gary Numan. H'mm.

I don't sign in anywhere these days but if I were to vote it would be for The Zombies, Kraftwerk, ELO, Yes and yes... Joe Tex!

That remark in the sign-in procedure ("I'm not a robot") looks silly since Kraftwerk are among next year's nominees...  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 06:59:18 AM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 08:32:46 AM »

This morning the inductees were announced:
Tupac Shakur
Pearl Jam
Journey
Yes
ELO
Joan Baez
KDS
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 09:14:39 AM »

This morning the inductees were announced:
Tupac Shakur
Pearl Jam
Journey
Yes
ELO
Joan Baez

Well........Eddie Vedder got in before Ronnie James Dio. 

Putting in ELO and Yes is a step in the right direction.  Same with Journey.  I think the fan vote is overall a good thing, and Jann and his merry band of hipsters seem to at least be taking the fan vote to heart.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2016, 10:46:16 PM »

Steppenwolf should have been inducted 20 years ago.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2016, 05:21:58 AM »

You could actually make a HOF from the artists who've been snubbed by the HOF. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 05:46:20 AM »

True. You could do an entire HOF of some of the early(1940's-1950's) "Pioneers" who were around right at the start of what became known as "rock&roll".  But I guess that would fall under it's own category. I think that eventually the "Rock&Roll Hall of Fame" might have to change it's name to the "Music Hall of Fame". The fact that Jan&Dean aren't in the HOF isn't a shame, it's a downright insult.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 06:17:41 AM »

True. You could do an entire HOF of some of the early(1940's-1950's) "Pioneers" who were around right at the start of what became known as "rock&roll".  But I guess that would fall under it's own category. I think that eventually the "Rock&Roll Hall of Fame" might have to change it's name to the "Music Hall of Fame". The fact that Jan&Dean aren't in the HOF isn't a shame, it's a downright insult.

If they're going to continue to induct rappers, they might as well change the name.   I shudder to think that, one day, we might see these posers with laptops who call themselves artists make it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame someday. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 02:12:56 PM »

Yeah, "rock and roll" refers to a very specific musical style. "Pop music" is a much wider umbrella term.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2016, 06:18:59 PM »

If they're going to continue to induct rappers, they might as well change the name.   I shudder to think that, one day, we might see these posers with laptops who call themselves artists make it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame someday. 

1) Yes, they should change the name, and should have actually been called the popular music hall of fame since day one.
2) Not everybody who makes music with a laptop is a poser

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »

Brian Eno should be in as well.

SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2016, 07:29:45 PM »

Joan Baez was surprised she got in because she never considered herself a rock 'n roll artist. Yes, it should be called the Pop Hall of Fame.

However, if they did that it would set up an interesting dilemma: The reason Cleveland was chosen was because it was the home of the radio station that coined the term "Rock and Roll." You can be sure if it called itself the Pop Hall of Fame from the get-go it would not be in Cleveland. So if they changed the name, would they relocate it?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2016, 07:56:46 PM »

Joan Baez was surprised she got in because she never considered herself a rock 'n roll artist. Yes, it should be called the Pop Hall of Fame.

However, if they did that it would set up an interesting dilemma: The reason Cleveland was chosen was because it was the home of the radio station that coined the term "Rock and Roll." You can be sure if it called itself the Pop Hall of Fame from the get-go it would not be in Cleveland. So if they changed the name, would they relocate it?

Good point, but I don't think they'd move it now. Probably WON'T change the name  because it's  "established" as the hall's name, and if there's one thing the industry loves, it's the establishment Roll Eyes

KDS
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 09:27:03 AM »

1) Yes, they should change the name, and should have actually been called the popular music hall of fame since day one.

Maybe they're not all posers, but I'd never call them a musician either. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 09:55:32 AM »

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I mean, sh*t, I've only been doing this 20 years. All this time I thought I was making music. Silly me...what was I making? Perhaps it was a fudge of some sort. Was it by chance a pound cake? No, maybe it had to do something with nuclear fusion. Gah, I don't know...all these music notes make me want to say I'm making music, but....that would make me a musician, and you just schooled me on that.

KDS
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2016, 12:47:26 PM »

Ok, I'll keep that in mind. I mean, sh*t, I've only been doing this 20 years. All this time I thought I was making music. Silly me...what was I making? Perhaps it was a fudge of some sort. Was it by chance a pound cake? No, maybe it had to do something with nuclear fusion. Gah, I don't know...all these music notes make me want to say I'm making music, but....that would make me a musician, and you just schooled me on that.

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.  Just my opinion. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2016, 01:00:21 PM »

Still came off as an insult , though. You basically told me I'm not a musician, and yeah I take major offense to that.

One thing about me...even if I don't like an artist's work, you will *never* see me accuse anybody of not having any talent. That's the most vile thing a musician (yes, I'm using that word) can say to another.

So here's a challenge... use your computer and install some music creation software. Record an album with it WITHOUT USING PRE-MADE LOOPS OR RIFFS. NO sampling other people's work, either (unless you're sampling ambient studio noise as opposed to any of the actual notes, to create the illusion of it being recorded at, say, Gold Star).  Then upload it somewhere. See if you make  a few hundred off of streams, or have one of the songs used in a commercial, or maybe someone like Matt Ward emails you saying he digs your sh*t and would like to collaborate (and then stupidly turn him down because your wife is pregnant and you don't think you can balance the two right then). Let me know how that works out for you, and THEN we can discuss who is and isn't a musician. You may find that it's not as easy as you think. Not only do you STILL have to have a knowledge of basic music theory, but you also have to be technologically savvy as well.

A musician is defined as "... a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented. Anyone who composes, conducts, or performs music may also be referred to as a musician." I may not currently play a musical instrument (even pre-stroke I lacked the dexterity to be anything more than middling on the bass), but anybody who tries to say I have no talent or is incapable of composing music is full of more sh*t than an overstuffed septic tank.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 01:07:00 PM by ♩♬☮ Dude Where's My Frog?! ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

KDS
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »

Still came off as an insult , though. You basically told me I'm not a musician, and yeah I take major offense to that.

One thing about me...even if I don't like an artist's work, you will *never* see me accuse anybody of not having any talent. That's the most vile thing a musician (yes, I'm using that word) can say to another.

So here's a challenge... use your computer and install some music creation software. Record an album with it WITHOUT USING PRE-MADE LOOPS OR RIFFS. NO sampling other people's work, either (unless you're sampling ambient studio noise as opposed to any of the actual notes, to create the illusion of it being recorded at, say, Gold Star).  Then upload it somewhere. See if you make  a few hundred off of streams, or have one of the songs used in a commercial, or maybe someone like Matt Ward emails you saying he digs your sh*t and would like to collaborate (and then stupidly turn him down because your wife is pregnant and you don't think you can balance the two right then). Let me know how that works out for you, and THEN we can discuss who is and isn't a musician. You may find that it's not as easy as you think. Not only do you STILL have to have a knowledge of basic music theory, but you also have to be technologically savvy as well.

A musician is defined as "... a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented. Anyone who composes, conducts, or performs music may also be referred to as a musician." I may not currently play a musical instrument (even pre-stroke I lacked the dexterity to be anything more than middling on the bass), but anybody who tries to say I have no talent or is incapable of composing music is full of more sh*t than an overstuffed septic tank.

I never said it's not a skill / talent. 

I equate electronic music to NASCAR.  Sure, it's a skill and it's a competition, and it requires endurance.  But, are they athletes?  That's debatable.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2016, 02:23:36 PM »

I never said it's not a skill / talent.  

I don't know...you called us "posers" . I don't know how else to take it. Maybe as a compliment meant ironically? Huh

I equate electronic music to NASCAR.  Sure, it's a skill and it's a competition, and it requires endurance.  But, are they athletes?  That's debatable.

A musician is defined as "... a person who plays a musical instrument or is musically talented. Anyone who composes, conducts, or performs music may also be referred to as a musician.

You may have a point for those who make their music entirely out of samples (or not), but to say those who actually do create the music from scratch and labor over it meticulously are not musicians, well, that a bit insulting. It's one thing to say they don't like something, but to question another's worth...let's just say I'll never ever understand the need for some people to put down others based on something that they don't get.  That'd be like me saying Baltimore Ravens fans are mouth-breeding knuckle-draggers who like to wear onesies and to be called Rebecca over and over again while they pleasure themselves, just because I don't particularly care for football. That'd be just as stupid and baseless. Pointless bashing ...just acting in an affected manner in order to impress others...which just so happens to be the definition of a poser. Huh. Imagine that.

Those who throw shade are destined to be living in it.

I really should message Brian Eno and tell him  that he just got compared to Jeff Gordon. LOL
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:27:10 PM by ♩♬☮ Dude Where's My Frog?! ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx