gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:07:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame nominees for 2017 class  (Read 12511 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2016, 09:09:01 AM »

-were announced this morning:

Pearl Jam
Jane's Addiction
Bad Brains
MC5
Journey
Yes
Tupac Shakur
Depeche Mode
Electric Light Orchestra
Janet Jackson
The Cars
The Zombies
Chaka Khan
Chic
J. Geils Band
Joan Baez
Joe Tex
Kraftwerk
Steppenwolf

Pearl Jam, Tupac, Jane's Addiction, Bad Brains are first-time nominees.

My choice for induction:

Steppenwolf
J. Geils Band
Joe Tex
The Zombies
ELO

My guess is that the likely inductees though are:

Pearl Jam
Tupac
Depeche Mode
Jane's Addiction
ELO
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 09:40:42 AM »

Joe Tex! Definitely, he has deserved that more than many others....

Just as have Jan&Dean btw.... Roll Eyes

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 12:30:02 PM »

My gut is ELO won't make it in, at least not yet. I think they finally made the nomination list because of Jeff Lynne's renewed popularity/visibility/hip factor.

But if or when ELO gets inducted, it would be interesting and potentially awkward. Jeff hasn't worked with any other former members other than Richard Tandy since 1986.

I would have to assume they would at least include Lynne, Tandy, and Bevan in the induction, and should probably include other members like Mik Kaminski, Kelly Groucutt (posthumously), and others.

But I can't picture Lynne performing with the other guys. *Maybe* Bev Bevan.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 01:02:21 PM »

ELO
Tupac
Journey
Depeche Mode
The Cars

would be my choices.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:15:28 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bummerinparadise
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »

I always have hopes that Yes will finally make it in, but they never make it. Here's my picks:
Yes
Pearl Jam
Journey (partially because I want to see Perry and Schon together again)
Cars
Steppenwolf
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2016, 05:03:44 PM »

Id say
Steppenwolf
Pearl jam
Journey
ELO
2pac

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 06:09:05 PM »

Hard to limit it to five!

For the record, my daughter's top 5 favorite bands are : BB, ELO, Journey, Fleetwood Mac, and Tears for Fears, with the Cars at a close #6, so she's happy!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2016, 08:04:08 PM »

Where the field of nominees goes - Joan Baez has recorded comparatively little that qualifies as rock'n'roll, but if she were chosen, everybody would want to see if Dylan inducted her so that would get attention.

I'm thinking maybe I should have put Journey among the five likely choices because people sure want to see Steve with the band one last time and this looks like the one way to make that happen.  And I probably should knock ELO off that list because the Hall of Fame people prefer bands that can reunite in some way and it would take a lot of doing to put Jeff together with those guys again.

Despite all the conflict J. Geils himself has had with the rest of the band, I think there is a chance he'd get onstage with them if inducted, so maybe that improves their chances of being chosen.

As for Steppenwolf - of the surviving members of the classic lineups it's not easy to picture any of them except Goldy McJohn playing with John Kay now, so that may decrease the chances of the band's being chosen.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2016, 09:39:58 PM »

Again they snubbed both the Monkees and Jan and Dean....  Angry
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2016, 09:42:38 PM »

Again they snubbed both the Monkees and Jan and Dean....  Angry
And Three Dog Night.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Vernon Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't fight the sea

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 11:10:53 PM »

I find the RR hall of fame so watered down now. Only a handful of nominees warrant nomination let alone induction. It's been like that for at least a decade if not longer. Sad

Make waves, not love
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 12:45:59 AM »

They seem to be running out of people to induct. There are only so many from the "first wave" of Rock & Roll that haven't been inducted. Unless they induct every single "doo wop" and one hit wonder group. There are some people from the 60's that haven't been inducted yet, like Steppenwolf, The Zombies, Jan & Dean, Three Dog Night, etc. I guess they could induct all the blues artists of the 1920's-1940's, but you could make an argument to not induct them just like I could make an argument not to induct people like Tupac. It's looking more and more like "The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame" should change it's name to "The Music Hall of Fame".

SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 04:21:15 PM »

I find the RR hall of fame so watered down now. Only a handful of nominees warrant nomination let alone induction. It's been like that for at least a decade if not longer. Sad

Its biased as hell

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 05:04:53 PM »

Agreed...it is a travesty that someone like Brian Eno has not been inducted yet.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 05:05:33 PM »

Or fear to stop. Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 05:08:35 PM »

I also think that as times gone by the nominating committee has moved in a more populist direction. Big bands like kiss and Bon Jovi get the nod over influential bands with less commercial success in America like the jam and the smiths and siouxsie and the banshees.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 02:41:45 AM »

It would be interesting if they decided to start inducting bands like The Mentors, The Fartz, 10 Minute Warning, etc.  Grin

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 08:49:18 PM »

I think it's absolutely disgraceful that yes has not been inducted. The reasons, the official reasons I have seen from the Hall of Fame is that they turned their back on the roots of American blues music. I find that to be absolutely ridiculous and absurd. One of the many pinheads at the hall of fame must have some personal grudge against yes. I believe that a meaningless band like Rush was actually inducted which shows the abysmal level of taste at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 09:15:39 PM »

I think Yes should be in, but no way in hell do I consider Rush to be a meaningless band. Just my opinion, though.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 12:20:04 AM »

Considering that everyone likes to mention that they were the first group to use the term "heavy metal" in music I'm amazed that Steppenwolf isn't in the Hall of Fame yet.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2016, 06:41:45 AM »

I think everybody's head would explode if we spent too much time trying to figure out actual tangible, logical reasons for why the R&R HOF makes the decisions they do.

It's pretty clear the main criteria are: Politics (who the Jann Wenner crew likes or doesn't like), recognizable bands that will get people to watch the HOF induction show in person or on TV, and mitigating bad publicity as much as they can.

I really wish more people would truly protest this thing. It's an inherently ridiculous setup even if it wasn't crooked, and even more so because of course it is crooked.

I dig "Yes", though I probably only regularly listen to like five of their songs. But of course they should be in there. Just Chris Squire's bass playing, Anderson's singing, and "Roundabout" alone justify them being there. They're a huge piece of the whole prog rock puzzle.

I'm not a huge "Rush" fan, but of course they should be in there too. The number of nerdy musicians who regularly cite being into "Rush" alone probably justifies them being there.

Rather than the process being so arbitrary, the thing should be more inclusive. Not so much that it would lose all meaning. But if an artist or band is clearly good at what they do, achieved a good level of success and/or *clearly* was a trailblazer and/or influential, let them in.

They should just be inducting *more* artists, not less. It's obviously not really a "Rock and Roll" HOF anymore; it's pretty much just "Popular Music" HOF.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2016, 11:05:02 AM »

if grandmaster flash and the furious 5 are in the HOF and the monkees arent  LOL
cmon we all know its biased voted upon by what 7/8 'music execs' or rock hall board.....not by us the 'consumers'  Wink
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 11:06:01 AM by SurfRapGrungeFiend » Logged

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2016, 01:48:16 PM »

i'm still waiting for the Dogs, the Jets, the Lonesome Two and Butter to get nominated.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 06:38:59 PM »

Hopefully The Zombies will finally get in!
clack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 08:31:50 AM »

The Zombies are the last of the uninducted major British Invasion bands. Long overdue.

Steppenwolf had their moment of near-greatness (1968), but fizzled out too quickly to deserve induction, imo.

Journey? They've got to be kidding. Who next, Air Supply?

Pearl Jam in before the Replacements? Really?

The Cars : successful, had good songs, not quite HOF material.

Yes: yes.

ELO : important 70's band, great sound, some great songs. Marginal, but yes.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx