gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680748 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 03:00:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Album form Al?  (Read 8198 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2006, 06:21:27 PM »

Just as a matter of interest. Any ideas on the costs of a internet only release ? I think Mike and Al may have to look at this as the only way to go as have Billy, Jeff, Adrian and others plus of course Brian with the original release of "Roxy". Al has had some experience in this with "Vegas" so that may be the way he is planning to release.

The book... I'll pick up a copy after the reunion show in London in September. Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2006, 11:01:54 PM »

Just as a matter of interest. Any ideas on the costs of a internet only release ? I think Mike and Al may have to look at this as the only way to go as have Billy, Jeff, Adrian and others plus of course Brian with the original release of "Roxy". Al has had some experience in this with "Vegas" so that may be the way he is planning to release.

The book... I'll pick up a copy after the reunion show in London in September. Wink

It's relatively cheap to do an internet-only release, at least in terms of the post-production costs (meaning once you have the finished master ready to press). Al has used DiscMakers to do "Live in Las Vegas" and I believe the "PT Cruiser" CD single as well. I have a bit of experience with them, as I worked with a band that looked into using them to press some CD's. It costs something like around $990 to press 1,000 CD's with them. (DiscMakers has placed ads in ESQ magazine in the past, and I believe ESQ used DiscMakers to press their "One in a Million" CD from awhile back).

The costs of course depend on what kind of artwork you want and how elaborate the artwork is. (I think that $990 price is for like a cardboard sleeve and the CD, whereas jewel cases with inserts would cost a bit more). In any event, to press up 5,000 or so copies of an album on CD would cost several thousand dollars. Then, there are costs involved in selling the CD's. You can just put up a website with an address to send money orders and checks to, and have your family help you stuff CD packages all day. Or, you can just have DiscMakers or whatever company who presses the CD's send them straight to a service like CDBaby (which Al used for the Vegas album at one point), and that service handles all of the orders for the CD's so the artist doesn't have to bother with it. These services of course take a cut of the money that comes in. I think it's even possible for self-made CD's to be sold on Amazon under the right circumstances. I think Amazon sold Al's "Live in Las Vegas" at one point (and probably still have it listed), albeit as a "Special Order" item. For that matter, Al eventually got some sort of mainstream distribution deal in place for the Vegas CD at some point, because I eventually saw it in a few indie CD stores maybe a year or so after it came out via the net.

Given the fact that Al could easily sell several thousand copies (as in probably 5,000 or so, give or take) of a new album, it could not at all be cost prohibitive for Al to release a CD himself. Even if you add in the cost to pay someone to master the album (assuming Al doesn't just do it himself at his studio, which he could), and add in the cost to produce the recordings (paying the engineer and musicians), and other miscellaneous costs, I don't think Al would lose money if he sold a finished CD for $15 or $20 via his website. He's probably already put plenty of time and money into recordings over the years anyway. It's about time he gets some return on that investment.

At the same time, I don't think it's totally out of the question that a super-indie label might be interested enough to sign Al up and release his album. It probably wouldn't make Al a ton of money, but it helps a lot just to get a CD with any label that can get your CD into stores and on Amazon, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 01:38:18 AM »

"Al's California concept album looks like it may be very fun to hear. I hope the direction he takes with it will be similar to how the "original" version of Big Sur was recorded. Folkie with soothing harmonies. None of that PT Cruiser stuff."

My hopes too.

So what if the songs themeselves are old - doesn't stop BW or Mike, for that matter.
Matt Howlett
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 08:43:52 AM »

Mike's album might get picked up if he somehow is able to release it under the name "Beach Boys". Why not? He tours under the name, wouldn't be much of a stretch. Or better, a possible release on the internet, via Beachboyscentral.com.

The license to use the BB name is for touring only. That's why not. Cool

I know that, but consider what if Brian had the legal rights to use the name "Beach Boys" as his rider, and then tried to play "Love & Mercy"? There would be a lawsuit in that.

Whitney Houston could still have a career if she cleaned herself up. The Who are releasing a new album (+ ep) this year, which will draw a lot of attention. AC/DC will always draw crowds due to their energetic performances. But what differentiates these artists from Al Jardine and Mike Love is that they contain the "original talents" as opposed the the sidemen who make up the band. If Roger Daltrey toured as The Who by himself, the concerts would not draw as much attention. If AC/DC toured with out the Young brothers, I don't think they would be as exciting.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 11:39:19 AM »

Mike's album might get picked up if he somehow is able to release it under the name "Beach Boys". Why not? He tours under the name, wouldn't be much of a stretch. Or better, a possible release on the internet, via Beachboyscentral.com.

I know that, but consider what if Brian had the legal rights to use the name "Beach Boys" as his rider, and then tried to play "Love & Mercy"? There would be a lawsuit in that.

Mike Love's "Beach Boys" have played a few of Mike's solo songs recently, including of course "Cool Head, Warm Heart", and "Make Love Not War" or whatever it was called, on the Imus radio/TV show. Interestingly, one of the points mentioned in the various Brother lawsuits against Jardine when Jardine was touring as "Beach Boys Family & Friends" was that Jardine's setlist didn't reflect the sun, surf, and cars image. Apparently, performing songs like "Lookin' At Tomorrow" or "You Still Believe In Me" was damaging the BB name. Of course, now several years later Brother's licensee for the BB name is performing numerous "rare" songs not normally recognized as BB hits or sun, surf, or car songs.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2006, 02:55:09 PM »

Nope - as long as you pay the performance fee, you can play any song you like live. Mike & Bruce could even play BWPS.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2006, 03:48:33 PM »

That'd be beyond horrible. Whatever you feel about Mike & Bruce themselves...umm...this isn't going to be nice...

Sorry, but the rest of the band happen to be some of the least talented "professional" musicians I've ever heard.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2006, 04:03:39 PM »

Nope - as long as you pay the performance fee, you can play any song you like live. Mike & Bruce could even play BWPS.

Well, supposedly there is, or was claimed to be when Brother was going after Al Jardine, certain terms that a licensee of the Beach Boys name has to follow, and these terms can potentially include what type of songs should be played. Somehow, shock of all shocks, Brother is apparently not nearly as concerned with Mike and Bruce performing non-surf/fun/car songs as they were when Al Jardine was performing such songs as "Beach Boys Family & Friends."

I have no idea if such terms are or were ever actually written into the licensing agreement, but they at least potentially can be. Even if something along these lines was written into an agreement, who would interpret what songs are or aren't acceptable? I recall back around 1999 when the lawsuits began, there was a Rolling Stone article that rightly pointed out that the criticism of Al playing non-surf/car/fun songs didn't make sense in light of the Mike/Bruce band at that very time playing songs like "God Only Knows."

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2006, 04:08:59 PM »

Quote..
Sorry, but the rest of the band happen to be some of the least talented "professional" musicians I've ever heard.

Yeah but they work cheap.

But back to Al's album. The California concept idea could do ok with internet sales IMO. Between BB fans and the tree-huggers there could be a bit of interest and $900 is not a big outlay.
I think it comes down to ego again. Having to do a DIY rather than having a label behind you must grate.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2006, 04:16:46 PM »

It shouldn't bother him, though...at least then, he can do whatever he wants. Besides, it's not like he's hurting for cash/

Yeah but they work cheap.
So do homeless people LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2006, 08:29:32 AM »

Al Jardine is a brilliant if at times a tad lame musician.  That aside, a warm glass of ovaltine with that little impish man sittin' on my knee, lookin' down the coast or whatever.   Cool Guy Perhaps a soothing pep talk as well regarding his realeasing of a new internet-only cd.  Now I am getting that California feeling. Razz
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2006, 03:20:53 PM »

I think it comes down to ego again. Having to do a DIY rather than having a label behind you must grate.

....I was thinking about Mike's unreleased album as well when I wrote this line. His co-writer couz gets the publicity for anything he puts out nowdays and Mike can't get a deal. I figure by doing a few tracks each Mike and Bruce show he could get a bit of interest as well. Maybe he just prefers the boots doing the rounds?
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2006, 03:32:43 PM »

Well, supposedly there is, or was claimed to be when Brother was going after Al Jardine, certain terms that a licensee of the Beach Boys name has to follow, and these terms can potentially include what type of songs should be played. Somehow, shock of all shocks, Brother is apparently not nearly as concerned with Mike and Bruce performing non-surf/fun/car songs as they were when Al Jardine was performing such songs as "Beach Boys Family & Friends."

From January 2000:

"Beach Boy attorney Mike Flynn insists Jardine has been using the "Beach Boy" name without the proper license from BRI, and also claims audiences at Jardine's shows have complained they were expecting a "traditional" Beach Boys show." 

So, yes, according to the lawsuit(s) brought against Al Jardine by BRI, a "non traditional" BB show is damaging to the BB name.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Wyndham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2006, 01:08:06 AM »

I  read about Al working on or doing part of some sort of ecological based concept allbum many years ago.  Could this be his attempt to finish that album?

He did Santa Ana winds, the California Saga stuff and some other related pieces.
And he did live out at Phifer Beach foer a while....or maintained a residence there.  Same place Bobby Darin retreated to in his folkie period.  I believe that is where he is seen with the horses on one of the Bios...and that is where the footage of the water shooting through the rocks on the  wendy beach was filmed.

I can see this as a viable project inspired by the rugged natural beauty of central California.  It would make for some great video as well.  Question: are ANY of the BB's at this point capable of  one last really great album ?  

I don't think any of the surviving BBs besides BW were ever capable of a really great album, let alone now. If you want anything approaching that you still have to look towards Brian, and no matter how much optimism you have the chances of that are almost non existent.

On the prospect of an Al solo album, it may be interesting to hear as it would with any other of the BBs, but I doubt in his ability to produce anything of real substance.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2006, 04:11:20 AM »

"I don't think any of the surviving BBs besides BW were ever capable of a really great album..."  POB anyone?

"On the prospect of an Al solo album, it may be interesting to hear as it would with any other of the BBs, but I doubt in his ability to produce anything of real substance.

There seems to be two Al Jardines.  There's the one who has written folk-inflected songs like Lookin' At Tomorrow, Song of the Whale and California; then there's the oldie/car song Al who goes for the safe option.  Personally, I prefer the former.  Those songs did add substance.  However, if you're looking for a more traditional BB album, then you're probably looking in the wrong place - and, sadly, you're probably right in what you say about Brian, as much as I cling on to some hope.
Wyndham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2006, 03:08:07 PM »

I did say any of the surviving Beach Boys. I agree Dennis was capable of a great album, although I'm not sure POB was it. By the way Smilin Ed what is the 'Song of the Whale' you refer to?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 03:11:28 PM by Wyndham » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2006, 04:09:59 PM »

Sorry about that.

Song of the Whale/Monterey - sometimes known as Lookin' Down the Coast; it was meant to be parts 2 and 3 of a California Saga type trilogy; part 1 was Santa Ana Winds - all recorded in 1978, I think, although the latter was re-recorded, and considerably sweetened in the process, for KTSA.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2006, 08:46:12 PM »

A solo-album by Al would be great news! "California energy blues" is awesome imo.

Awesomely terrible.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2006, 02:37:03 PM »

What about some songs without 'California' in the title. He should just call it the album 'A man waiting for a bus'.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx