gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:33:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy birthday Chuck Berry! + new album  (Read 11437 times)
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 03:50:20 PM »

Chuck is firing on all cylinders!  Can't wait to hear the full album.  Does this mean Bear Family will have to
update and reissue they're fabulous Chuck Box Set?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »

Well, I don't know. With this new song, the fire is gone after 1:20 and then it's just lame and the whole production has a strange non-rocking sound. "Big boys" was better imo. Let's see what the rest will be like

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2017, 07:16:44 AM »

The new album was released today!

http://www.udiscovermusic.com/new-releases/a-new-album-from-mr-berry

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2017, 10:50:10 AM »

My local independent radio station, KRCL, played Big Boys this morning. It was awesome!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »

The proper swan song to a legend!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2017, 10:51:14 PM »

It's a good album, although short by 2017 standards - 35 minutes. Chuck is in good voice, the lyrics are as entertaining/amusing as always, and I don't know if he is doing all the guitar work on the record - there are credits for others, but no telling who does what solo; if it is others, they are channeling Chuck very nicely. Not straight ahead rock all the way through, about half the album is slower songs, which IMO befits a man about to turn 90.
I wonder if this album might encourage Little Richard to bless us one more time?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 03:49:47 PM »

Listened at last to the new album. It's good. 3/5.

I wonder if this album might encourage Little Richard to bless us one more time?
It would be cool. Btw, didn't know they'd friendly competition.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2018, 01:18:35 AM »

I still haven't listened to the album, although my brother owns it (in fact, I gave it to him as a birthday present)  Shocked

Well, Little Richard officially retired. I don't think he's recording. Shortly before he died, George Jones planned to record one last album and said that Little Richard wrote a song for him. Unfortunately, I don't think George ever got around to record it (or anything for that album)

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2018, 06:35:01 PM »

I still haven't listened to the album, although my brother owns it (in fact, I gave it to him as a birthday present)  Shocked

Well, Little Richard officially retired. I don't think he's recording. Shortly before he died, George Jones planned to record one last album and said that Little Richard wrote a song for him. Unfortunately, I don't think George ever got around to record it (or anything for that album)
Yes, Richard retired. Last year, he was on a religious channel, 3ABN, sans wig, makeup, etc, denouncing rock and roll (again). He did say something about recording a gospel song with Tom Jones, but who knows if that will ever happen.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2018, 01:06:20 AM »

Yes, Richard retired. Last year, he was on a religious channel, 3ABN, sans wig, makeup, etc, denouncing rock and roll (again). He did say something about recording a gospel song with Tom Jones, but who knows if that will ever happen.

Interestingly, I thought Richard was retiring 'cause he was sick and recent appearances seemed to signal that he was very weak. That said, on the TV show you mention he seemed very clear and not at all as weak as he looked and sounded on stage. I was pleasantly surprised by his appearance. As a theologian myself, I can't say I agree with all of his views, but that's another discussion.

Yesterday I had the chance to listen to a couple of more tracks from "Chuck". I liked what I heard. It seems on the songs I've herad that most of the guitar works was between Chuck and his son (you can hear a difference in style). And also it was nice to see/hear Chuck sing a Tony Joe White song ("3/4 time"). I have to make sure that I listen to the rest of the album soon.

- Jack Rieley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2018, 03:37:20 PM »

As a theologian myself, I can't say I agree with all of his views, but that's another discussion.
Agree, Rocker. Little Richard sang & written cool rock&roll songs, it matters little what he says in TV shows.

I have to make sure that I listen to the rest of the album soon.
When you'd done that, will you review it here? Thanks in advance.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2018, 11:46:35 AM »

I have to make sure that I listen to the rest of the album soon.
When you'd done that, will you review it here? Thanks in advance.

Well, just a short summary. The record is full of classic Chuck Berry music. All in all it's much better sounding than I thought it would and the songs are not as embarassing as you could expect them to be with such a project (like for example Mike Love's way of name-checking the same Beach Boys songs again and again in new songs).
Chuck's guitar playing is fine and thankfully not as terrible as during live performances during his last ten years or so. His son also tries his best to fill in with his guitar playing but you can tell from the style and sound that it is not Chuck himself (and I don't think they were trying to fool anyone).
Two cover songs appear on the album. The Jazz song "You go to my head", a. o. sung by Ella Fitzgerald, and "3/4 time" (live performance), a song written but never recorded by Tony Joe White, which was a hit for Ray Charles.
As mentioned, Chuck's new music sounds like Chuck Berry, although I don't think there's a new classic. He re-records "Havana moon" as "Jamaica moon", after already having done a new "Havana moon" version on "Rockit". His vocals sound good and seem to have been recorded years ago, except for a couple of the first tunes on the album which show his voice in more recent sound.
I have to say though that some of the songs are just too long imo. From the classic Rock'n'Roll singers, Chuck was certainly the weakest singer. He did a great job on his songs but he can't keep it interesting after a song is going on for a while. So, instead of 5 mins. I'd have tried to cut the song in half, although that means of course that you'd have to get rid of a couple of lyrics and a songwriter might not want to do this.

In the end, this is a record that is a strong end to a legendary career in music (it was planned to be his last album even when he was still alive). It is not an album that shows a new side of Chuck that wasn't known before. We've already heard the kind of songs he offers us here. But that is what Chuck Berry (and all other stylists in his/her own case) was about: he plays Chuck Berry music.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx