-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:40:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Carl Wilson's son gets his butt kicked
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson's son gets his butt kicked  (Read 15794 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2016, 02:19:54 PM »

I guess I understand that you are for double standards. Got it.

Excuse me? I am not for double standards.  You don't know two things about me if you think that.  

I think you're dealing with a sort of invented straw man argument, and a jump to exaggerate and assume things.  

An anecdote about Carl's son in karate class turns almost *immediately* into first an assumption about presumably some, most, or all of the people on the board:

"Women beating up on boys seems acceptable here."

Then before long it turns to:

"I guess I understand that you are for double standards. Got it."

I'm sure we've all dealt with this before. You say something relatively innocuous like "Mom, I think the meatloaf is pretty good!", and it's immediately met with "Oh, so what you're saying is you don't like my meatloaf as much as someone else's!"

Geez, if someone had jumped into the thread and said, "You know what I think is totally okay? Girls beating up boys", then maybe the assumptions/accusations would have some grounding.

But what *actually* occurred was a citation of a quick anecdote about Carl's son's apparent sub-par performance in karate class. The girl didn't shiv Carl's son in the parking lot after the match. As far as I know; I haven't actually read her book I guess.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:21:03 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2016, 02:25:53 PM »

And this is why most of this crap goes into the Sandbox.  AGAIN something that was tangentially on topic gets redirected to the same old, same old.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bill Ed
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2016, 04:49:33 PM »

Actually, I agree with Joe 100%.

We'll agree to disagree in this case. It just bothers me that I always hear/read things like "well if it was a woman/black person/whatever "....it is so tiring. Many of the bigots I have the misfortune of dealing with in this sh*t hole known as Texas love to toss that out

You sound like quite the bigot yourself. Are you not free to leave Texas? Unless legal issues are involved, I doubt that anyone would block your exit.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2016, 04:56:08 PM »

We'll agree to disagree in this case. It just bothers me that I always hear/read things like "well if it was a woman/black person/whatever "....it is so tiring. Many of the bigots I have the misfortune of dealing with in this sh*t hole known as Texas love to toss that out

You sound like quite the bigot yourself. Are you not free to leave Texas? Unless legal issues are involved, I doubt that anyone would block your exit.

excuse me?!  I am planning to move in a few years. it costs money to do so.I do not currently have enough of said money. For your information,  I am not a bigot by any means and take a huge amount of offense at being called one.you do not know jack sh*t about me.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Bill Ed
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 05:09:26 PM »

excuse me?!  I am planning to move in a few years. it costs money to do so.I do not currently have enough of said money. For your information,  I am not a bigot by any means and take a huge amount of offense at being called one.you do not know jack sh*t about me.

You might be a bigot if  . . .  you refer to a state 25 million people call home as a "sh*t hole". Of course I'm assuming that you believe it's the Texan's who are responsible for making the state what it is in your view.  Maybe you have a problem with the geography, not the millions of people who live there.

Anyway, I wish you the best in your efforts to leave the state.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2016, 05:10:40 PM »

Let me make this clear now that I've calmed down a bit...until I lost my home, I lived in a small-ish town named Alvin. During my time there, I did have the misfortune of dealing with quite a few people who came in to my then-place of employment were were quite prejudiced, and made no secret of it. That was *hell*. When Obama got elected, a co-worker made a comment on how in the old days, "people like him" would be lynched. I said something, and was told that "down here" this is "how folk do things". So yeah, I have a very valid reason for wanting to leave here...too many bad memories. The fact that I'm a liberal in a staunchly conservative state isn't the only reason.

Of course I'm assuming that you believe it's the Texan's who are responsible for making the state what it is in your view

Not everybody here, not by a longshot. I don't fit in here, but that doesn't mean I lump everybody together. Read my initial post again. I do however despise the state government, and feel my family and I would fit in better elsewhere.

For the record, there are  groups of people that I am prejudiced against....I don't like racists, homophobes, pedophiles, spousal and/or child abusers...ect.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:13:01 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2016, 05:27:03 PM »

Are there any non-bigots in Texas? Other than you, of course?  3D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:28:13 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 05:28:33 PM »

Are there any non-bigots in Texas? Other than you, of course?  3D

Of course. Majority aren't.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:30:55 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2016, 05:31:15 PM »

Are there any non-bigots in Texas? Other than you, of course?  3D

Of course.

Shocked Thank goodness.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 05:54:15 PM »

I'm just gonna say one more thing, as this is turning into a Sandbox thread...my main issue these days since leaving Alvin is not fitting in politically and in some other ways...I don't hold the entirety of the population at fault, but the ones that are, though, well....yeah.  Also have other reasons...as I've gotten older, the heat and humidity has become unbearable.

Looking at Ft Collins, CO.  as my job is building a new call center there, and it's been my dream to live in CO since I was a kid.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 05:54:53 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2016, 06:10:38 PM »

But geez, this was a karate class. The kid didn't corner Carl's son in an alley and beat him up and take his lunch money. In the class, they make you spar.
Exactly. Said the same thing page ago. good to be backed up. police
Billy, Bill Ed, joe_blow, Moon Dawg: with respect but the last few posts don't belong in this thread. Is there function to clear up irrelevant posts from the thread? Some boards got it.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2016, 07:00:01 PM »

there's not but I think entire thread is going to sandbox if I can't figure it out

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2016, 07:11:14 AM »

You might be a bigot if  . . .  you refer to a state 25 million people call home as a "sh*t hole". Of course I'm assuming that you believe it's the Texan's who are responsible for making the state what it is in your view.  Maybe you have a problem with the geography, not the millions of people who live there.

Anyway, I wish you the best in your efforts to leave the state.

A big clue that you might be making a lot of assumptions that you shouldn't is when your three-line post contains all of the following words: "might", "bigot", "I'm assuming", and "maybe."

A *lot* of assumptions and ridiculous leaps in logic. Someone could easily take *your* post and make a lot of insulting assumptions about you, too.

And for the record, if someone calls Texas a shithole, I don't immediately assume they're saying it's the fault of everyone who lives there, or that everybody in the state is an asshole or something. If anything, I think someone who *lives* in a place they don't particularly like would be the FIRST person to understand that plenty of people live somewhere they don't like, and therefore you can't assume one thing about everybody who lives there. 

I also have to give Billy a lot of props for not being even more annoyed by being called pretty ridiculous names by people who *rarely* post here and seem to pop up sometimes mainly to just gripe about political threads or call him names.

If you only have 25 posts over the course of the last year, and two of them consist of unfairly leaping to calling someone a "bigot", maybe *you* have the problem. 

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2016, 08:34:59 AM »

thank you...I appreciate that, and really needed it.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2016, 11:25:23 AM »

The story is just an amusing anecdote. I doubt it was intended to be anything more or anything less.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2016, 11:38:58 AM »

I think so, too.

The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2016, 12:02:29 PM »

I agree that the story about Jonah Wilson getting his butt kicked in the karate class was probably meant to be just an amusing anecdote, even if the storyteller seemed to take a little too much satisfaction telling it.

I have to add, however, that JL was the first poster to use the term "bigot," and that he did so to describe some citizens of Texas, a state he subsequently referenced as that "sh*t hole" state.

Based on his stated opinion of "some" Texans, I am relieved to know he won't be stopping in Oklahoma when makes his exit from the Lone Star state.  Wink
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2016, 12:14:46 PM »

I think saying that there are bigots in a state is a pretty safe and fair assumption. There are surely bigots in every state.

That's far different from calling a specific person a bigot, especially someone on this board that surely the person lobbing the accusation doesn't know.

I also think even making a non-specific claim that there are bigots in a state is more valid when it's based on personal experiences, as opposed to calling someone on this board a bigot based off a hugely exaggerated interpretation of one or a few posts.

I also think, if there are folks in Texas (or Oklahoma, or wherever) that are bent out of shape because someone called their state or region a shithole, then I think you just gotta suck it up. I'm in California. This is the state that elected Jerry Brown *and* Ronald Reagan. I've heard every complaint and insult about California imaginable, from all sides.

If anything, I'd give more weight to someone calling Texas a shithole if they actually live there. Doesn't mean I'm going to use that one opinion to come to a conclusion myself. Nor would I be short-sighted or impuslive enough to assume the person calling Texas a shithole means that everything and everyone in the state for all-time is shitty.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2016, 12:45:19 PM »

I have to add, however, that JL was the first poster to use the term "bigot," and that he did so to describe some citizens of Texas, a state he subsequently referenced as that "sh*t hole" state.

I did use that word, but was referring to a specific group of people that I have had the misfortune of dealing with, not everybody. Also, as mentioned previously, my dislike for living here is based on many factors. 1) The state government 2)How gun happy many are here  3) The fact that one of the reasons for Texas declaring independence from Mexico had to do with Mexico not allowing slavery is completely ignored in the teaching of Texas History (and I actually got a failing grade in 7th grade on a paper for even mentioning it).

More to the point...yes, I feel like I don't belong here. Have felt like that since childhood. That's one thing...what I don't like is being TOLD I don't belong here. Coming up, I was often bullied (for many reasons) but the thing that always got me was being *told* I'm too "different" and I'm not worthy of being here. That adds up. Scars run deep. So yeah, I have reasons for feeling the way I do. Even though there's good things about living here (lower priced gas is a big one), the negatives outweigh the positives for me.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2016, 04:22:40 PM »

I like how some people only agree that it's amusing story after like 5th poster saying it. What's there to figure out from that little extract? She even mentions Carl watching that karate fight. It's kind of annoying when people don't read carefully & start calling names smb. they don't even know ("doofus"). It doesn't matter that she bragged, it matters that Carl was there & apparently didn't do anything about Jonah getting beaten if he still continued to attend karate.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2016, 01:58:08 AM »

Could be they were on the same belt and skill level and thus were matched to spar each other, regardless of size/age difference.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2016, 11:26:59 AM »

LOL  If "lower priced gas" is the best reason you can find for living in Texas, I would agree that it's probably time for you to go.

And RangeRover:  Perhaps Carl's failure to act when his son was being flogged by that young lady was motivated by the realization that one Wilson getting his butt kicked is exponentially better than two.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2016, 11:56:23 AM »

Could be they were on the same belt and skill level and thus were matched to spar each other, regardless of size/age difference.

That's a possibility.

also means I'd be matched up with a fetus if I participated.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2016, 12:25:40 PM »

That's a possibility.

also means I'd be matched up with a fetus if I participated.

Yeah, gosh, I certainly hope that the karate class would match everyone up with someone who is a fair (and safe) match.

I don't know much about Carl, but he seemed like an intelligent enough guy that he wouldn't have kept his kids in a class where the instructor was insane and matching near-adults up with kids unfairly.

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2016, 03:12:44 AM »

Well, that story only confirms all the bad I think of martial arts classes. On the other hands, no martial arts classes no Chuck Norris jokes, so there's a silver lining.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 03:13:58 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: