-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:41:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Beach Boys Britain
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Carl Wilson's son gets his butt kicked
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson's son gets his butt kicked  (Read 15791 times)
Matt P
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2016, 02:45:23 PM »

From Brix Smith Start of The Fall's autobiography, when describing her childhood karate class in California:

"I was the only girl in my class and was expected to spar with boys and men.  I soon worked my way up to yellow belt and then to orange.  One of the boys in my class was the chubby, shy son of Carl Wilson, the lead guitarist in the Beach Boys.  Of course, growing up in Southern California meant the Beach Boys were akin to God.  Everyone got excited when Carl came to watch the sparring.  Every time I had to spar this boy, I'd kick the bejesus out of him to the tune of Good Vibrations running through my head."
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 06:12:26 PM »

LOL That is a great story.

wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 07:34:50 PM »

You've made my day by posting this!

Jon G.
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 01:43:24 PM »

Hold on...

Let's cut Jonah and/or Justyn some slack here.   Brix Smith doesn't mention that she is quite a bit older than Carl's sons.  Wikipedia says she was born in '62, making her ~7-9 years older than the Brothers Wilson.   Is, say, a 17-year-old Brix 'kicking the bejeesus out of' an 8-10 year old Wilson lad really anything to brag about?  I'm getting visions here of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer's karate success is the result of him being in a dojo with little kids.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:44:34 PM by juggler » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 01:48:38 PM »

Hold on...

Let's cut Jonah and/or Justyn some slack here.   Brix Smith doesn't mention that she is quite a bit older than Carl's sons.  Wikipedia says she was born in '62, making her ~7-9 years older than the Brothers Wilson.   Is, say, a 17-year-old Brix 'kicking the bejeesus out of' an 8-10 year old Wilson lad really anything to brag about?  I'm getting visions here of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer's karate success is the result of him being in a dojo with little kids.

LOL I was JUST about to reference that Seinfield episode!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 02:11:49 PM »

Agreed. Why is this a great story? I've met both Jonah and Justyn (quickly in passing) and they were both very kind. Has somebody had some bad experience with them that would make them relish either of them getting their "butt kicked"?  Strange. Anyway, good for her "dominating the dojo"
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:24:24 PM by southbay » Logged

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 02:12:39 PM »

They should have called in Rocky or one of the Love brothers to kick her ass
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 02:36:24 PM »

Stan love whoopin ass

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 08:39:50 PM »

Women beating up on boys seems acceptable here. Mods ok with this? Where are the feminist social justice warriors?
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 12:48:27 PM »

That would be cool if Brix Smith kicked your ass, Joe!
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 02:50:55 PM »

It's likely that Jonah and Justyn are, like their dad, pacifists.  It's also likely that the brothers are/were gentlemen and much too nice to try to kick a girl's butt, even if she was basically a grown woman and they were both little boys.

So, go ahead Brix and brag about your conquest over one of Carl's sons.  I'm sure Carl Wilson taught his sons to never hit a girl, even a doofus like the one who bragged about beating a child at karate.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 02:59:02 PM »

Women beating up on boys seems acceptable here. Mods ok with this? Where are the feminist social justice warriors?

NO it's not acceptable. What's up with the "feminist social justice warrior' comment, though?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 03:04:02 PM »

Ugh. Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2016, 04:29:06 PM »

Brix Smith is a fucking amazing badass goddess and this is just a silly anecdote in her rad book. CHILL, Y'ALL!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »

Well ofc it isn't OK for bigs to beat littles but you must rmbr that 1) this is karate class, not street fight & 2) Carl agreed to his son attending that class & obviously wasn't against it when he watched her beating Jonah (iir Justyn was skinny as a boy). Besides, she did what you see in many celebrity autobios - namechecked the other celebrity. That's it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 06:22:59 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 09:54:17 PM »

NO it's not acceptable. What's up with the "feminist social justice warrior' comment, though?

If it were genders reversed, it would be a hot topic.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 09:57:59 PM »

That's a load of crap.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 10:16:44 PM »

Actually, I agree with Joe 100%.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 10:27:44 PM »

The extract as quoted by the OP has tidbit "...Carl came to watch the sparring". It seemed acceptable to *him* to see his son being beaten by the 17-year-old. What the hell's the gender got to do with it? It's just little short story, for god's sake.
Edit: if anybody would like to discuss gender privileges (F vs. M), start thread in the Sandbox. The main point behind the OP was to share sth. BBs-related with fellow BBs fans. Let's not ruin this nice thread with serious things not germane to it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 03:45:00 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2016, 12:00:36 AM »

We'll agree to disagree in this case. It just bothers me that I always hear/read things like "well if it was a woman/black person/whatever "....it is so tiring. Many of the bigots I have the misfortune of dealing with in this sh*t hole known as Texas love to toss that out

bb4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2016, 04:56:46 AM »

I'm confused.  I confess I didn't know who this Brix Smith person was so I looked her up.  Apparently, she and her mother moved to Chicago in 1972 so I'm a little unclear how she beat up Carl's son when she was 17?  Also, wasn't Jonah born in 1969? 
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 09:12:04 AM »

I'm confused.  I confess I didn't know who this Brix Smith person was so I looked her up.  Apparently, she and her mother moved to Chicago in 1972 so I'm a little unclear how she beat up Carl's son when she was 17?  Also, wasn't Jonah born in 1969? 

Brix apparently moved back to LA as a teen to live with her father, an unnamed psychiatrist who resided in Malibu Canyon.  From the placement of the anecdote in her book, her karate career seems to have taken place at some point after August 1977.  Brix says that she was enrolled in 9th grade at Paul Revere Jr High in LA, and after allegedly encountering threatening behavior from some Latino classmates, her father enrolled her in Ed Parker's School of Karate.  We don't know exactly when, but based on the year maybe she was 15 to Jonah's 8, or 16 vs 9.  The point about the Krameresque dojo-domination still stands.  In any case, we're spending way too much time on this inane little anecdote that may or may not have much basis in reality.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2016, 11:29:52 AM »

You can't help but feel bad for Carl's son, or anyone in that position. But geez, this was a karate class. The kid didn't corner Carl's son in an alley and beat him up and take his lunch money. In the class, they make you spar.

I'm not a karate training expert, but I would hope/assume that at some point if two are grossly mismatched and/or someone is getting seriously injured, they do something about it.

Read Scott Wilson's (son of Dennis) book. *That's* an unfortunate and continuous series of stories. I'll bet he would have loved to suffer simply getting emasculated in a karate class by someone way older than him.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:33:21 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2016, 01:48:27 PM »

We'll agree to disagree in this case. It just bothers me that I always hear/read things like "well if it was a woman/black person/whatever "....it is so tiring. Many of the bigots I have the misfortune of dealing with in this sh*t hole known as Texas love to toss that out

It may bother you,but it happens. I guess I understand that you are for double standards. Got it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »

I guess I understand that you are for double standards. Got it.

Excuse me? I am not for double standards.  You don't know two things about me if you think that. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:07:42 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: