gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:54:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Surfer Moon appreciation  (Read 1932 times)
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2016, 09:23:04 PM »

I feel this is one of Brian's most underrated compositions, and I'm particularly fond of the intro and string arrangement. Want to know if anyone else loves this song as much as I do.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 09:43:43 PM »

Edit: Zander corrected the ava info. Regarding subject, 'tis great! The intro sounds like played on synths, weirdly. It's pretty anyway. Missed chance the Boys didn't sing the harmonies here, even if it's good as is.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:16:18 PM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »

1stly, like your "Bambi" ava.

I thought that was from "The Rescuers"?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »

1stly, like your "Bambi" ava.

I thought that was from "The Rescuers"?

You're both wrong. It's Mrs Brisby from "The Secret of NIMH"  Cool Guy

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:46:38 PM »

Oh snap...thanks

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 12:35:02 AM »

They played this one live at the Royal Festival Hall with the Stockholm Strings guys during the Gershwin tour.  At the time I thought it was ok.

Then back in May this year I went to a Pet Sounds listening party, and before the main Pet Sounds presentation they played a number of earlier Beach Boys and other influential cuts as an introduction.  Everything was played on a high end vinyl system and using the recent analogue productions masters.  When I arrived at the venue The Surfer Moon was just about starting and it sounded incredible and was probably the best thing I heard that whole afternoon.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 03:09:30 AM »

I don't miss the other Boys on this one----gorgeous stuff.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SurfRapGrungeFiend
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 06:17:02 PM »

'if your heart hears its melancholy tune then youll know its the surfer moon'
Never hear that one on the radio

Surf music, Old school rap and The Seattle Sound

DJ Paul- Hi, I'm Chucky

Danny Greene and the Celtic Club

"I have no axe to grind, but if these maggots in this so-called Mafia want to come after me, I'm over here by the Celtic Club. I'm not hard to find'
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 08:00:45 PM »

I recall when I first heard it back in '63.  It sounded OLD fashioned.  Not rock 'n' roll whatsoever.  Something baby boomers parents might like... ... ...kinda.  I found it to be sort of whimpy.  And I was a mere lad of almost 12 at the time.  Ya it's a 'nice' song ... but as far as I was concerned back then it was one of the weakest tunes of the Surfer Girl album.  I still kinda feel that way.

Doesn't make it bad.  Doesn't make it suck.  It's just not in my personal all-time top 200 Beach Boys songs.  For those who DO love it... ... ...cool. Cool Guy

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 09:20:15 PM »

Sounds like it was made to appeal to the Murry generation. Not saying that's a bad thing though! It's actually my third favorite song off of the Surfer Girl album, just behind "In My Room" and "Your Summer Dream".

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »

A little too...um...malt-shoppy for me, but it's a nice song. I do dig the intro, though.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx