gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:40:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: GREAT Esquire interview with Brian  (Read 10797 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2016, 10:53:41 AM »

Billy in Texas sounds! Cool
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:08:59 AM by Pear McCartney » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2016, 11:32:27 AM »

Saying one is "moving on" from a collaborator may be meant to be a dig, or may be innocuous. What such a phrase *doesn't* even slightly suggest is that someone "around" Brian is instilling that sentiment.

Maybe people around him do instill sentiments or attitudes. But nothing specifically regarding saying "I'm moving on" from a collaborator has one iota of a suggestion about where such a sentiment originated, anymore than anything else Brian ever says.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2016, 03:09:38 PM »

Saying one is "moving on" from a collaborator may be meant to be a dig, or may be innocuous. What such a phrase *doesn't* even slightly suggest is that someone "around" Brian is instilling that sentiment.

Maybe people around him do instill sentiments or attitudes. But nothing specifically regarding saying "I'm moving on" from a collaborator has one iota of a suggestion about where such a sentiment originated, anymore than anything else Brian ever says.

Exactly.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2016, 09:58:30 PM »

I think that you are probably incorrect in your assumptions . All I'm going to say, not going to get into it further here, waste of time.  Not claiming any inside knowledge either. BTW I agree with most of what you've said here in the past and you seem like a nice guy, peace.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 10:08:03 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2016, 12:23:03 AM »

I think that you are probably incorrect in your assumptions . All I'm going to say, not going to get into it further here, waste of time.  Not claiming any inside knowledge either. BTW I agree with most of what you've said here in the past and you seem like a nice guy, peace.

How is anything he said an assumption? Nothing in that phrase suggests someone is pressuring Brian to feel that way, at all.

I really don't know where you're getting this idea from, but it is incorrect. That's not an assumption, either, but rather a statement based on knowledge.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2016, 02:07:22 PM »

I get the general idea, which is that some fans feel what Brian says is molded/formed/influenced by those around him.

I don't even 100% disagree. I think *all* of the Beach Boys have people around them (including but not limited to wives) who help to mold what they say, how they feel, etc. This isn't unique to the BBs or Brian. Most of us who have people in our lives have this going on to some degree. It doesn't mean we're all "whipped" or anything. And maybe some of us are that, too.

I just don't think this "I'm moving on" interview comment is a case where Melinda or someone is whispering in Brian's ear, in the eventuality that the specific topic of Van Dyke Parks comes up, to get a little dig in on VDP by saying he (Brian) is "moving on."

The whole thing where people "on the outs" with Brian will immediately assume it can't *possibly* be anything to do with them and it must be someone "around" Brian causing it, that's never going to end. I don't think anything so nefarious is always going on, but certainly politics are at play. Sure, there's probably a general vibe in the "Brian camp" that VDP has not been so nice to Brian or the people around Brian lately via VDP having zero impulse control on Twitter. But this isn't unique to Brian.

Does anyone think Jackie Love or anyone else around Mike, let's say in the late 90s or early 2000s, was trying to explain to Mike why Al Jardine was an okay guy and Mike should ease up on him? No, a bunch of lawsuits were flying and in Mike's camp, Al was on the outs.

If Brian was saying in interviews that VDP was an a-hole, and was saying that in retrospect he feels VDP's "Smile" lyrics are garbage, etc., then I'd be troubled by what's going on with Brian and his camp.

But yeah, "I'm moving on", at *worst*, might be a result of VDP not being the most positive guy about Brian and his family/operation in recent years.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:11:00 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »

Lest we not forget...anybody else recall VDP saying he was "victimized by Brian's buffoonery"?

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2016, 05:32:36 AM »

I just don't think that Brian himself would ever say something like "I'm moving on" without some form of reinforcement from his camp. Not that they have "nefarious" motivations as such, but they keep close tabs on loose cannons or those people that they feel are lacking sufficient genuflection, which is a kid of ledger-keeping that Brian himself is not all that concerned with, by nature. I imagine that whatever went down with David Leaf being excommunicated probably falls into that category as well, without direct knowledge of the specifics.

Yes, I suppose that "you are incorrect" does imply first-hand knowledge, but I just meant that I felt strongly that it was likely that the statement was not just completely spontaneous, and had been inculcated or incited to at least some degree by other interested parties, and still do. I was also in a terse, grumpy and intolerant mood that A.M., which played a role in my unusually absolutist phraseology.

Daly, Chicago 1968
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 07:25:50 AM »

I think the VDP issue just isn't prevalent enough in the BB world or political sphere that, even if Brian were being "prepped" before interviews, that VDP would be one of the topics to go over.

I wouldn't be surprised if some sort of PR person at some point came along and suggested that Brian just avoid talking about, say, Mike Love as much as possible. Similarly, while thankfully interviews haven't brought up the Scott Bennett issue, I would imagine someone, especially earlier this year, probably helped discuss how to handle that topic if it came up.

But in the case of VDP, that would be like topic #37 for a PR person (or anyone else) to go over. I don't sense that Brian is the personality type that's going to do Presidential Debate-style prep for interviews and remember a huge list of talking points and buzzwords.

Another reason "moving on" actually does sound Brian-esque to me is that it's a weird turn of phrase to use when it comes to VDP, and seems like the very slightly idiosyncratic type of phrase Brian would use. Such a comment makes more sense when talking about an ongoing writing (or other) partnership that has just very recently ended. It would be like Brian being asked in 2008 if he's going to tour more with Al and answering "I'm moving on." That would make sense. But a collaborator who you mostly worked with 50 years ago, whom you've only occasionally worked with in recent years or decades? Even the post-1967 work Brian did with VDP wasn't often a collaborative co-writing enterprise. There were a few tracks VDP added lyrics to. But "Orange Crate Art" wasn't a co-writing situation. VDP's work on the 2000 orchestra suite wasn't either. Even his 2003/2004 "Smile" lyrics were more like a finishing job on the old work from 1967.

Much like Mike Love, VDP hasn't sat down to write a lot of songs "from scratch" with Brian in eons.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:27:15 AM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2016, 07:59:50 AM »

I just don't think that Brian himself would ever say something like "I'm moving on" without some form of reinforcement from his camp. Not that they have "nefarious" motivations as such, but they keep close tabs on loose cannons or those people that they feel are lacking sufficient genuflection, which is a kid of ledger-keeping that Brian himself is not all that concerned with, by nature. I imagine that whatever went down with David Leaf being excommunicated probably falls into that category as well, without direct knowledge of the specifics.

Yes, I suppose that "you are incorrect" does imply first-hand knowledge, but I just meant that I felt strongly that it was likely that the statement was not just completely spontaneous, and had been inculcated or incited to at least some degree by other interested parties, and still do. I was also in a terse, grumpy and intolerant mood that A.M., which played a role in my unusually absolutist phraseology.

but they keep close tabs on loose cannons or those people that they feel are lacking sufficient genuflection

That is a strong statement and one which could be interpreted as a pretty low blow to hit whoever is the target with - Are you suggesting that whoever "they" might be have a scale of justice for anyone who doesn't bow sufficiently enough to Brian? Or am I reading it wrong?

Clarification may be in order.

Keep in mind too - as another poster mentioned - how many shots were fired across Brian's bow via social media posts and other outlets in recent years and what effect those could have.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2016, 08:22:08 AM »

I dunno, Mike in interviews and other public statements has been repeatedly more negative and sometimes insulting regarding Brian and Brian's wife than most anyone, and Brian still says complimentary things about Mike in interviews.

If there were a *strong* proclivity to actively go after "enemies" in interviews, then I think Mike would be among the first and most prominent targets.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2016, 08:35:16 AM »

I will say this...Mike is family, VDP is not.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2016, 12:27:21 PM »

I will say this...Mike is family, VDP is not.

A good, and interesting, point!

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2016, 11:24:50 AM »

but they keep close tabs on loose cannons or those people that they feel are lacking sufficient genuflection

That is a strong statement and one which could be interpreted as a pretty low blow to hit whoever is the target with - Are you suggesting that whoever "they" might be have a scale of justice for anyone who doesn't bow sufficiently enough to Brian? Or am I reading it wrong?

Clarification may be in order.

Keep in mind too - as another poster mentioned - how many shots were fired across Brian's bow via social media posts and other outlets in recent years and what effect those could have.

I don't intend to gratuitously denigrate anyone, and I don't think it's a "low blow" as such, just calling it as I've seen it over the years. Admittedly not phrased in the interests of diplomacy uber alles. You are reading it correctly. That being said, it's a delicate balance. Who knows whether Brian was "prepped" to dis VDP or not, in the end, none of us does, except insiders, who will refrain from speculating here if they want to remain insiders.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 11:26:34 AM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »

in regards to the last sentence...if they are insiders, would it still be speculation?

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2016, 08:57:38 PM »

in regards to the last sentence...if they are insiders, would it still be speculation?

OK then, commenting. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 08:59:57 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

Daly, Chicago 1968
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx