gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:45:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GREAT Esquire interview with Brian  (Read 10839 times)
leetwall97
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 03:00:16 PM »

He seems to overreact sometimes, doesn't he? I guess he's still angry about Love & Mercy.

Gosh I love Van. I love his music, his personality and his words. I will listen to anything he has to say just so I can catch a glimpse of that encyclopedic brain he has stored under his noggin. But he does get big sometimes. But that's him. And what's great is that he just wipes the mud off his chest and walks away maturely. I mean he and Brian had some arguments back during Smile. Brian would put Van in his place, and as a fellow musician, he wasn't just gonna forget about it like Tony Asher. I think that's why he was the first to go. Too much buffoonery. I think you can best sum up Van's patience from that Fire sessions. Brian was sitting in his car, waiting for the vibes to get right. Van kept coming out saying "This is ridiculous. You're acting like a complete amateur."

And I totally agree with what he said about Love and Mercy. It was too much of a Melinda Wilson biopic. Plus, they TOTALLY pushed him aside in it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 03:02:48 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2016, 03:17:33 PM »

The pool scene in L&M with Mike and VDP was brilliant in its symbolism.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2016, 03:26:46 PM »

It was too much of a Melinda Wilson biopic

Are you serious?! I mean, she basically saved his life. Would you prefer she was either a) not mentioned or b) sued to have a fake name put in instead?

And what's great is that he just wipes the mud off his chest and walks away maturely. I mean he and Brian had some arguments back during Smile. Brian would put Van in his place, and as a fellow musician, he wasn't just gonna forget about it like Tony Asher. I think that's why he was the first to go. Too much buffoonery.

I thought you were Mujan, but now I'm wondering if you're VDP or Loren Darro.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2016, 05:22:35 PM »

Now, Billy...don't get oversensitive like VDP!! And I really can't imagine that either of those two (Parks and Daro) are looking to troll their way in here...unless the PM system is showing signs of strain again, that is.

L&M is maybe just a little too Melnda-centric, since there was cooperation with the Wilson family in order to vanquish Landy and that is pretty much left out of the film. (Though I suspect that to do so would force additional scenes and length which would disrupt the narrative flow.) But her story line, when you think about it, is really compelling: you fall in love with a man who it turns out is being held prisoner by a so-called "licensed professional" without enough will power to undo what's happened to him. That part of the film, as played by Cusack and as reacted to by Elizabeth Banks, is as strange a story as just about any you could ever imagine--and it's all true. Living through that period must have been infinitely more surreal that anything we can imagine from the outside looking in. You need Melinda's perspective to get the best sense of just how strange it all was, and what it took from the inside to bring it to a halt.

As for SMiLE, VDP was correct in his assessment of what was going on, but he was no diplomat at that time, and such has never been his strong suit. He's not mellowed with age, which (strangely enough) makes him more like Mike than Brian. So that tells us that Brian looks for something in someone that he doesn't think he possesses when looking for songwriting partners. Often that "something" involves competitive elements--often, but not always. It could be that Brian has relied on his gut feelings when meeting someone, which sometimes produces shaky and untenable collaborations. Of late Brian seems to have figured out how to put more boundaries around these things, which may not have him scale the heights of creativity to the extent many fans would like to see, but it's clearly produced a more stable life for him.

We have just about all of SMiLE now from so many perspectives, and it's still a mystery. Thank goodness for that. It should remain "beautiful in its obscurity" and be a siren call for all those who want to climb it, like Everest, risking all in the thinnest air on earth in hopes of solving its riddles.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 05:40:59 PM »

And I really can't imagine that either of those two (Parks and Daro) are looking to troll their way in here.

Darro actually has before, under more than one username (in fact was banned before registering under his own name)

L&M is maybe just a little too Melnda-centric, since there was cooperation with the Wilson family in order to vanquish Landy and that is pretty much left out of the film. (Though I suspect that to do so would force additional scenes and length which would disrupt the narrative flow.)

Some things were condensed in the interest of time, yes, but the film did show Melinda contacted Audree and Carl and making them aware.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
leetwall97
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 06:18:00 PM »

Are you serious?! I mean, she basically saved his life. Would you prefer she was either a) not mentioned or b) sued to have a fake name put in instead?

Yeah that's great, but that's not why I like Brian. I wanna see him recording H&V and California Girls in his biopics. Chewing vegetables with Paul and karate chopping Elvis.  

I think Melinda would only work in the type of Hybrid movie love and mercy is. But I'm still waiting for a Biopic about Brian in his prime. Love and Mercy focused way too much on the bed stuff.

I thought you were Mujan, but now I'm wondering if you're VDP or Loren Darro.

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Darro actually has before, under more than one username (in fact was banned before registering under his own name)

Really? Why didn't you guys let him in? Everyone from the 60s never wants to talk. What did he do?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:22:35 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 06:34:18 PM »

I think Melinda would only work in the type of Hybrid movie love and mercy is. But I'm still waiting for a Biopic about Brian in his prime. Love and Mercy focused way too much on the bed stuff.

Because that's what the movie was supposed to be about...it was about Brian being a prisoner of a complete psycho and how he got out of that situation. The young/classic Brian stuff was set-up for that...showing how he got into that position in the first place!

Really? Why didn't you guys let him in? Everyone from the 60s never wants to talk. What did he do?

His first account was banned for many reasons, one of which was trolling. Didn't realize it was him until after he registered under his own name (one can say he had the "purr"-fect alibi...), although it made purr-fect sense afterwards. . As far as the second time, he left of his own accord once it came out how utterly full of sh*t he was. He really thought he was the "cat's meow". Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:34:47 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2016, 06:50:50 PM »

Mujon.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 07:40:06 PM »

Stating it as "moving on" is also a little insensitive.

How is it insensitive? It's Brian's right as an artist to move on from past collaborators...artists do it all of the time. I mean, even Elton John and Bernie Taupin had a break from each other (granted, it was a huge mistake).

Right.  And there's handling that with grace and then there is handling that like a baby, which is what Van and Mike have both done in their respective ways.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2016, 07:46:44 PM »

How is it insensitive? It's Brian's right as an artist to move on from past collaborators...artists do it all of the time. I mean, even Elton John and Bernie Taupin had a break from each other (granted, it was a huge mistake).

Right.  And there's handling that with grace and then there is handling that like a baby, which is what Van and Mike have both done in their respective ways.

And at least Mike had more reason to be bitter (the whole past credits thing which he should REALLY let go).

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2016, 07:57:06 PM »

Now, Billy...don't get oversensitive like VDP!! And I really can't imagine that either of those two (Parks and Daro) are looking to troll their way in here...unless the PM system is showing signs of strain again, that is.

L&M is maybe just a little too Melnda-centric, since there was cooperation with the Wilson family in order to vanquish Landy and that is pretty much left out of the film. (Though I suspect that to do so would force additional scenes and length which would disrupt the narrative flow.) But her story line, when you think about it, is really compelling: you fall in love with a man who it turns out is being held prisoner by a so-called "licensed professional" without enough will power to undo what's happened to him. That part of the film, as played by Cusack and as reacted to by Elizabeth Banks, is as strange a story as just about any you could ever imagine--and it's all true. Living through that period must have been infinitely more surreal that anything we can imagine from the outside looking in. You need Melinda's perspective to get the best sense of just how strange it all was, and what it took from the inside to bring it to a halt.

As for SMiLE, VDP was correct in his assessment of what was going on, but he was no diplomat at that time, and such has never been his strong suit. He's not mellowed with age, which (strangely enough) makes him more like Mike than Brian. So that tells us that Brian looks for something in someone that he doesn't think he possesses when looking for songwriting partners. Often that "something" involves competitive elements--often, but not always. It could be that Brian has relied on his gut feelings when meeting someone, which sometimes produces shaky and untenable collaborations. Of late Brian seems to have figured out how to put more boundaries around these things, which may not have him scale the heights of creativity to the extent many fans would like to see, but it's clearly produced a more stable life for him.

We have just about all of SMiLE now from so many perspectives, and it's still a mystery. Thank goodness for that. It should remain "beautiful in its obscurity" and be a siren call for all those who want to climb it, like Everest, risking all in the thinnest air on earth in hopes of solving its riddles.

Well said.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2016, 08:05:06 PM »

Right.  And there's handling that with grace and then there is handling that like a baby, which is what Van and Mike have both done in their respective ways.

And at least Mike had more reason to be bitter (the whole past credits thing which he should REALLY let go).

I dunno. I give a pass - to a degree - to VDP for being bitter, more so than Mike.  At least Mike has so, so much money in the bank. I get the feeling that Van most certainly does not, and he must feel that having been actually pushed out of this project (partly his fault for letting himself be pushed out) must have cost him untold riches,  not only in terms of what the album might have done for his career if it had come out, but how he would have probably been set for life monetarily.  I feel for Van, yet I won't deny he isn't handling feeling slighted very well.

At least with Mike, he has so much money to fall back on, despite his absurd reputation. But of course it's apples and oranges.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 09:30:42 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2016, 08:29:54 PM »

Seems like VDP has deleted most of the tweets...

leetwall97
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2016, 08:32:47 PM »

Yeah I was looking for those. Do you think he reads the forum?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2016, 08:36:18 PM »

I know for a fact he does, as he's taken shots at me and some others previously.

You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2016, 08:41:28 PM »

I know for a fact he does, as he's taken shots at me and some others previously.

Really? Can I get some examples?

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »

One of them called me an "anti-intellectual", and there were some other shots...gonna try to see if they're archived...one moment...

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2016, 08:55:59 PM »

Yeah I was looking for those. Do you think he reads the forum?

Well hey, if SMiLE Brian is apparently Melinda, then anything is possible I guess!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2016, 09:01:49 PM »

LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2016, 09:02:34 PM »

I did see this thread...
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,12345.50.html

in regards to VDP blowing up over the BB reunion...and said something about Brian , but that he'll be "moving on"...

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2016, 09:12:53 PM »

One of them called me an "anti-intellectual", and there were some other shots...gonna try to see if they're archived...one moment...

The original article is now offline, but is used as a footnote on his wikipedia page. It's the same one he took a shot at Mike Eder on.

Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2016, 04:21:48 AM »

Insensitive in that, from him "I'm moving on" are blunt words that may reflect an adopted attitude that has been instilled, at least to some degree, by those around him, as has whatever fuel was the grounds for the ill will that seems to currently exist between the two, or, more likely, their proxies. Which is not to say that Brian is incapable of thinking for himself, just that there is still plenty of suggestibility and malleability there, if one has an agenda.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2016, 10:16:00 AM »

Insensitive in that, from him "I'm moving on" are blunt words that may reflect an adopted attitude that has been instilled, at least to some degree, by those around him, as has whatever fuel was the grounds for the ill will that seems to currently exist between the two, or, more likely, their proxies. Which is not to say that Brian is incapable of thinking for himself, just that there is still plenty of suggestibility and malleability there, if one has an agenda.

Why does it always have to be that he was "influenced" by those around him?  If Brian wanted to work with Van Dyke Parks, he'd be working with him. End of story.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2016, 10:47:42 AM »

We need the fear to stop album with BW! Cheesy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2016, 10:49:14 AM »

Cool

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx