gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680822 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:33:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GREAT Esquire interview with Brian  (Read 10861 times)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:39:10 AM »

Musician Jeff Slate and Brian seem to get along which means we get far more interesting and much longer answers than your typical "Yes" and "I don't remember" run-of-the-mill interviews:

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/q-and-a/a49469/brian-wilson-memoir-i-am-brian-wilson-interview/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 11:11:54 AM »

Thanks for that! Another good interview

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
delete this account
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 01:19:59 PM »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:22:01 AM by Statistic No. 129 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 01:24:03 PM »

Probably another misspelling of Jerry Weiss

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
delete this account
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 01:36:13 PM »

« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 12:21:27 AM by Statistic No. 129 » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 01:50:13 PM »

So, the latest title for the rock and roll album is "Sensitive Music for Sensitive People." It sounds ironic to me. Could that be one of those legendary BW put-ons that Brian's brothers would reference -- Brian joking with the press? Or is he serious?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 02:06:12 PM »

Probably a joke, although he did it in two interviews.

Thinking about naming my band's next album "Easy Listening for the Hard of Hearing" LOL

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 02:11:54 PM »

Probably another misspelling of Jerry Weiss

Fun fact: "weiss" is the german translation for "white"   Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 02:16:25 PM »

Ahhhh, that's reiss, er, right.

LOL

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 05:45:14 PM »

VDP posted to twitter that he's pissed that Brian said he didn't want to work with him again.

‏@thevandykeparks  8h8 hours ago
Wilson sez he won't work with lyricists Asher or Parks again, as he's "moving on". No good deeds will go unpunished.

Van Dyke Parks ‏@thevandykeparks  55m55 minutes ago

Van Dyke Parks
I agree with that Tony Asher and I are better than that. So is Wilson. We all appreciate your kind attention!Kindness is key.

Then a couple of quotes about loyalty.

He seems to overreact sometimes, doesn't he? I guess he's still angry about Love & Mercy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 06:04:21 PM »

Not a fan of Parks, and this certainly adds to this. Completely blown out of proportion by him.

Also  notice he posted the BB shred video after the first tweet...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:45:45 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 07:59:02 PM »

And it continues.

‏@thevandykeparks  11m11 minutes ago
Art Tatum, born Oct. 13: didn't hire a publicist to call him "genius". He simply played.  "I Got Rhythm" (solo,1940)

He is so bitter. What happened between them?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 08:05:34 PM »

And it continues.

Art Tatum, born Oct. 13: didn't hire a publicist to call him "genius". He simply played.  "I Got Rhythm" (solo,1940)

Brian has appeal beyond hipsters and music critics...Parks is jealous.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 08:19:32 PM »

And it continues.

I've been confused about the "genius" tag originating with Derek Taylor. On that infamous Help Me Rhonda session in early 1965 Murry made his "I'm a genius too" remark. That indicates to me that the term was being used to describe Brian and his work well before Taylor came on the scene.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »

That indicates to me that the term was being used to describe Brian and his work well before Taylor came on the scene.

Anybody here who was around back then...can you confirm? I was under the impression that he was.

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 08:49:18 PM »

VDP posted to twitter that he's pissed that Brian said he didn't want to work with him again.

‏@thevandykeparks  8h8 hours ago
Wilson sez he won't work with lyricists Asher or Parks again, as he's "moving on". No good deeds will go unpunished.

Van Dyke Parks ‏@thevandykeparks  55m55 minutes ago

Van Dyke Parks
I agree with that Tony Asher and I are better than that. So is Wilson. We all appreciate your kind attention!Kindness is key.

Then a couple of quotes about loyalty.

He seems to overreact sometimes, doesn't he? I guess he's still angry about Love & Mercy.

I follow VDP on Twitter. This is typical Parks. He reads or sees something in the media and he goes on a Twitter rant. I really disliked him for a while, but now I've learned to just let the crazy rants roll off my back. Some people should just REALLY not be allowed to go on Twitter.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 08:54:58 PM »

Just ask Trump! Wink
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 08:55:02 PM »

Truth be told...much of the time, I respect Mike more than VDP. Why? Because at least he's consistent. Most of what he says and does is BS, but at least he's not wishy washy or a phony.  
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:55:28 PM by ♩♬ John Lemon ♯♫♩ » Logged

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »

I hope Brian sues VDP.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 10:10:00 PM »

I hope Brian sues VDP.

For what though.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Cool Cool Water
Smiley Smile Associate

Don't Edit Yourself

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 12:05:01 AM »

A great interview----thanks for sharing!
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 12:59:28 PM »

And it continues.

‏@thevandykeparks  11m11 minutes ago
Art Tatum, born Oct. 13: didn't hire a publicist to call him "genius". He simply played.  "I Got Rhythm" (solo,1940)

Brian has appeal beyond hipsters and music critics...Parks is jealous.

With all due respect, IMO you (and others) are being rather hard on Parks. If I remember correctly, he got upset a few years ago about not being mentioned or credited for Smile in some context or other, and there may have been some additional bad feeling between them, which I suspect Van doesn't hold against Brian personally, knowing how much he is influenced by those surrounding him, and VDP is venting about it in recent years, mostly sending a message to those others. It's true also that Parks had him do the vocals on OCA, contributed old & new lyrics to BWPS, and has always up until recently consistently expressed his gratitude to Brian for giving him opportunities way back when. Stating it as "moving on" is also a little insensitive. Yes, Parks is not handling  with consummate grace, but who of us is perfect? There may also be a touch of envy, he is after all human. Of course, as my username here indicates, I might be slightly biased, but I strive for objectivity.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:04:41 PM by Dove Nested Towers » Logged

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »

Stating it as "moving on" is also a little insensitive.

How is it insensitive? It's Brian's right as an artist to move on from past collaborators...artists do it all of the time. I mean, even Elton John and Bernie Taupin had a break from each other (granted, it was a huge mistake).

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2016, 01:34:04 PM »

I think there might be other people from whom we could rightfully assume intended far more subtext to saying something like "I'm moving on" and not working with someone.

But I don't think that's the case with Brian. He's just not the type who will offer some generic, PR-friendly platitude like "There aren't any plans to work with Van Dyke or Tony, but they're great."

I don't think (and Brian's music of recent years certainly wouldn't justify) that Brian meant that he is presently doing more advanced music than what he did with Asher or Parks.

I think, much like the issue of Brian writing with Mike from scratch, Brian just doesn't want to write with these guys. I think there is something different to the situation with Mike compared to Asher and Parks. I think with Asher and Parks, Brian just doesn't want to write with them right now. Sort of like not wanting to eat pizza for dinner, or not wanting to put this song or that song in the setlist. He says nice things about Asher and Parks all the time. He doesn't want to write with them right now. In both cases, he pretty much did one singular project with each of those guys around 50 years ago, and then in both cases did a few other things with them on occasion since. Pretty much just one other song with Asher, and then a couple of projects with Parks.

They have even less "precedent" for feeling they should have an ongoing writing partnership with Brian than Mike does, and I already think Mike doesn't. So they certainly don't.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 01:41:40 PM »

I think there might be other people from whom we could rightfully assume intended far more subtext to saying something like "I'm moving on" and not working with someone.

But I don't think that's the case with Brian. He's just not the type who will offer some generic, PR-friendly platitude like "There aren't any plans to work with Van Dyke or Tony, but they're great."

I don't think (and Brian's music of recent years certainly wouldn't justify) that Brian meant that he is presently doing more advanced music than what he did with Asher or Parks.

I think, much like the issue of Brian writing with Mike from scratch, Brian just doesn't want to write with these guys. I think there is something different to the situation with Mike compared to Asher and Parks. I think with Asher and Parks, Brian just doesn't want to write with them right now. Sort of like not wanting to eat pizza for dinner, or not wanting to put this song or that song in the setlist. He says nice things about Asher and Parks all the time. He doesn't want to write with them right now. In both cases, he pretty much did one singular project with each of those guys around 50 years ago, and then in both cases did a few other things with them on occasion since. Pretty much just one other song with Asher, and then a couple of projects with Parks.

They have even less "precedent" for feeling they should have an ongoing writing partnership with Brian than Mike does, and I already think Mike doesn't. So they certainly don't.

Well put

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx