gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:24:49 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 161349 times)
KDS
« Reply #575 on: September 26, 2017, 07:24:11 AM »

And frankly, my preference, especially in the internet age of the last 20 years when setlists are readily available as tours progress, would be for bands to wildly vary the setlist from night to night. I get it, Brian isn't skipping "Fun Fun Fun", etc. Al will probably never get away with not doing "Rhonda" at a gig for the rest of his life. But they could take roughly half of the setlist and shake it up. Take a pool of 30 songs and rotate stuff in and out of, say, 15 slots per night.

Outside of avoiding discussing tours with fellow fans, there's no way to avoid "spoilers", so there is a bit of disappointment in going to a show and knowing top to bottom what the setlist will be, outside of a selection here or there that might rotate in or out. I recall finding it laughable some years back, I think around 2001, when Ringo did another tour and "big change" was swapping the first and last songs, so that "Photograph" opened the show and "It Don't Come Easy" was near the end, instead of the usual vice versa.

I've at least been lucky enough, probably because I'm on the west coast, of seeing the opening shows on some tours. Perhaps most thrilling was seeing opening night on McCartney's 2002 tour in Oakland, his first "proper" gig since 1993. Most had *no idea* what the setlist would be for that one. Very cool to hear the first ever live performance of the full "Hello Goodbye."

Similarly, opening night on Brian's 2015 tour was cool. Granted, we had some 2014 setlists to go off of, so there weren't a ton of surprises. But the "Wake the World/Busy Doin' Nothin'" combo for the first time ever was a pretty cool moment.

It's not easy, but I try to avoid setlist spoilers leading up to a show. 

The second concert I ever attended was Roger Waters in 1999.  I'd really gotten heavy into Pink Floyd, and Roger was launching his first tour in 12 years.  Judging only by his 1984 and 1987, I was kind of expecting 50/50 Floyd and solo, especially since he never toured his 1992 album Amused to Death. 

Unfortunately, curiosity got the best of me, so I found a setlist online, and saw that it was almost all Pink Floyd songs, many of which Roger had never done as a solo artist.  It would've been such a great surprise to hear the opening bars of "Dogs" and "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," without prior knowledge. 
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 26, 2017, 07:24:59 AM »

Thanks NOLA BB Fan, baseball95, RubberSoul13, and Billy C for your responses!   Grin

I knew I wouldn't be able to get Brian's signature, unfortunately.  Sad
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 26, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »

Dammit...they played the Wild Honey songs last night and I wasn't there.  LOL

This is absolutely hysterical and so typical of the Beach Boys...

Mike and Bruce's tour is literally "The Wild Honey Tour" and they played ONE song (Darlin) from the record when I saw them in OC.

Brian and Alan's tour is literally "The Pet Sounds Tour" and they played FIVE songs from the record when I DIDN'T go because it was advertised as the same show I had seen twice before.

I went. I've seen this same show five times and this was by far the best one. Pet Sounds was actually Brian's better set! He sang the songs - sometimes with power, sometimes very sweetly. He was very engaged and smiley. It was incredible. I was so used to him talk-singing that it just blew me away.

The opening set was great, too - loved hearing those Wild Honey cuts.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 26, 2017, 11:41:07 AM »

The setlist debate could go on practically forever no matter the artist. I wish more artists would do what the stones do which is let the fans vote on one song to be played out of 4-5 choices. Something like that would be with Brian mainly because only the hardcore fans like us would vote!  Grin

EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 26, 2017, 07:15:48 PM »

Here's my go at one.

(Brian unless noted) (all falsetto parts by Matt)

Our Prayer
Heroes & Villains
California Girls
Girl Don’t Tell Me
In My Room
Honkin’ Down The Highway (Al)
Aren’t You Glad
I’d Love Just Once To See You
The Little Girl I Once Knew (Al)
Surfer Girl
Wake The World
Busy Doin’ Nothin
Darlin’ (Darian)
I Do (Brian & Al)
Melt Away
Don’t Worry Baby (Matt)
You’re So Good To Me (Al)
What Love Can Do (“here’s a song written by me and Burt Bacharach”)
Marcella
Do It Again
I Get Around

Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Al)
I’m Waiting For The Day
Sloop John B (Al)
I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times
The Night Was So Young
Soulful Old Man Sunshine (Al)
Let Him Run Wild (Matt)
Guess I’m Dumb (Brian & Al)
Your Imagination
Caroline, No
Sail On, Sailor
Susie Cincinatti (Al)
Surf’s Up
Good Vibrations

Help Me Rhonda (Al)
All Summer Long
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun
Love & Mercy

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #580 on: September 27, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »

Here's my go at one.

Our Prayer
Heroes & Villains
California Girls
Girl Don’t Tell Me
In My Room
Aren’t You Glad
Surfer Girl
Wake The World
Busy Doin’ Nothin
Darlin’ (Darian)
I Do (Brian & Al)
Melt Away
Don’t Worry Baby (Matt)
Marcella
Do It Again
I Get Around

Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Al)
I’m Waiting For The Day
Sloop John B (Al)
The Night Was So Young
Let Him Run Wild (Matt)
Your Imagination
Caroline, No
Sail On, Sailor
Susie Cincinatti (Al)
Surf’s Up
Good Vibrations

Help Me Rhonda (Al)
All Summer Long
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun
Love & Mercy

I think that list, which has great songs, veers more towards fan wish list and less towards plausible. Brian has specifically said he doesn't like doing the verbose songs like "Busy Doin' Nothin'" or "Surf's Up", so while it's certainly possible he might do those again, they're probably never going to be in regular rotation (unless he does another "Smile" tour I suppose).

I don't see them digging into multiple obscure back catalog BB songs like "I Do" and "Soulful Old Man Sunshine", or "Guess I'm Dumb." (Matt would sound great on that one, though!).

"Susie Cincinnati" isn't entire implausible, though they'd probably have to lower the key (like they did with "Cotton Fields").

I don't envision Brian digging back into his solo catalog for something like "What Love Can Do." He didn't even do that one live when it came out initially. I could see a few select songs like "Your Imagination" happening, as he briefly resurrected that one in 2013.   

I also don't think he'd keep *that many* PS songs in the setlist, *and* not do "God Only Knows." Given his clear boredom with the PS songs, I'd advise he give all PS songs a break on the next tour, with the likely exception of WIBN/Sloop/GOK that most shows have included.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 27, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »

Here's my go at one.

Our Prayer
Heroes & Villains
California Girls
Girl Don’t Tell Me
In My Room
Aren’t You Glad
Surfer Girl
Wake The World
Busy Doin’ Nothin
Darlin’ (Darian)
Melt Away
Don’t Worry Baby (Matt)
Marcella
Do It Again
I Get Around

Wouldn’t It Be Nice (Al)
I’m Waiting For The Day
Sloop John B (Al)
God Only Knows
The Night Was So Young
Let Him Run Wild (Matt)
Your Imagination
Caroline, No
Sail On, Sailor
Susie Cincinatti (Al)
Surf’s Up
Good Vibrations

Help Me Rhonda (Al)
All Summer Long
Barbara Ann
Fun Fun Fun
Love & Mercy

I think that list, which has great songs, veers more towards fan wish list and less towards plausible. Brian has specifically said he doesn't like doing the verbose songs like "Busy Doin' Nothin'" or "Surf's Up", so while it's certainly possible he might do those again, they're probably never going to be in regular rotation (unless he does another "Smile" tour I suppose).

I don't see them digging into multiple obscure back catalog BB songs like "I Do" and "Soulful Old Man Sunshine", or "Guess I'm Dumb." (Matt would sound great on that one, though!).

"Susie Cincinnati" isn't entire implausible, though they'd probably have to lower the key (like they did with "Cotton Fields").

I don't envision Brian digging back into his solo catalog for something like "What Love Can Do." He didn't even do that one live when it came out initially. I could see a few select songs like "Your Imagination" happening, as he briefly resurrected that one in 2013.   

I also don't think he'd keep *that many* PS songs in the setlist, *and* not do "God Only Knows." Given his clear boredom with the PS songs, I'd advise he give all PS songs a break on the next tour, with the likely exception of WIBN/Sloop/GOK that most shows have included.

The omission of God Only Knows was an error on my part. I updated my list to include it, taking out "I Do", because that probably wouldn't work.

Even if it's not a Pet Sounds show, I feel he should do at least a few of the album cuts.

This whole idea is (mostly) fantasy. I don't see choices upthread like Hold On Dear Brother, Leaving This Town or Let It Shine making the cut, anyway.

I tried to include many hits (but not all - leave most of the surf and car stuff to Mike's band), and also gems that would go down well with the audience.

Note that I didn't include Blondie - in this dream, he's off with The Flame doing killer reunion shows.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 27, 2017, 10:58:02 AM »

They played four bars of Suzie Cincinnati at Radio City Music Hall, during the band introductions (for Al).  I nearly lost it!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: September 27, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »

I don't see choices upthread like Hold On Dear Brother, Leaving This Town or Let It Shine making the cut, anyway.

"Hold On Dear Brother" has already been performed once for the PBS taping; I think that places it firmly in "plausible" territory at least.

"Leaving This Town" was rehearsed for 2016 and even appeared on the first setlist of the tour as alternate selection.

"Let It Shine" was a regular in the setlist in late 2000.

Past setlist picks obviously don't guarantee any given selection will return, but a song performed in the past is more likely.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #584 on: September 27, 2017, 11:24:50 AM »

They played four bars of Suzie Cincinnati at Radio City Music Hall, during the band introductions (for Al).  I nearly lost it!

One of the amazing but also frustrating things about Brian's band is that it's 100% plausible that they could knock out just about any imaginable song. It's not like, say, the 1981 Beach Boys when you can't blame them too much for not trying to do "Surf's Up" or something; they couldn't have pulled it off.

But all of the deep cuts and Al songs and Blondie songs, just about anything you could imagine, *this* band could pull off. I imagine in my head some eccentric, diverse selections that would cater to them and Brian's abilities, songs like "Goin' On" or "Santa Ana Winds" or "Airplane", etc.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:25:19 AM by HeyJude » Logged

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: September 27, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »

I was at the show on Saturday at Radio City Music Hall.  I've seen several shows during this tour, the earliest being June 2016 and the most recent being end of April 2017.  I went into the Radio City show with high expectations, just because Brian mentions playing at the venue in the book and I think he sees it as an "important" venue.  I had the sense that he was actually nervous, and he seemed off to me (compared to the AMAZING April 2017 show in Newark, during which he was joking and the whole band seemed to be having a really good time).  The show started off with him shouting for his piano tech, so something wasn't right at the start, and maybe that threw him off?  He didn't do much talking and at one point started to say something, then said "never mind".  It wasn't a bad performance, but he seemed less relaxed than I've seen him on other shows on this tour.  As much as I'd happily pay to see this band every night for the rest of my life, I think Brian needs a break.  The tour has gone on for a long time with relatively short breaks.  It would be hard for anyone, and extra-hard for a 75-year old with physical issues.  I have seen Brian give excellent performances on this tour and I do think he still has it in him, I just hope he gets a good, long, refreshing break and can then go back on tour.

The first set was excellent, and pretty much everything I could ask for (okay, I'd add Do it Again, but that's just me being greedy).  They played Let the Wind Blow, I'd Love Just Once to See You, Aren't You Glad, Darlin, and Wild Honey.  Five Wild Honey songs!  Heaven.  Plus some relatively deeper cuts like Let Him Run Wild and Salt Lake City.  And of course Feel Flows (very nice of Blondie to point out that Carl wrote the song, I thought).  

Having said all that, the audience was relatively quiet.  I had really good seats at the front near the "VIP" section and a third of those people arrived late and wandered in and out with drinks and whatnot.  It was obvious they were not all hardcore fans but rather people for whom it's not a big deal shelling out 250 or 500 dollars for tickets.

Finally, I have to say (again) that Al is unbelievable.  His voice is so strong and good, and after playing for two and a half hours, he ran across the stage waving at the audience as though he was just out for a morning jog.  The word spry comes to mind.  He seemed to be having a lot of fun, and it's a joy to see him interact with Brian.  

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: September 27, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »

They played four bars of Suzie Cincinnati at Radio City Music Hall, during the band introductions (for Al).  I nearly lost it!

One of the amazing but also frustrating things about Brian's band is that it's 100% plausible that they could knock out just about any imaginable song. It's not like, say, the 1981 Beach Boys when you can't blame them too much for not trying to do "Surf's Up" or something; they couldn't have pulled it off.

But all of the deep cuts and Al songs and Blondie songs, just about anything you could imagine, *this* band could pull off. I imagine in my head some eccentric, diverse selections that would cater to them and Brian's abilities, songs like "Goin' On" or "Santa Ana Winds" or "Airplane", etc.

I agree completely.  I'm sure there's no song in the catalogue they couldn't pull off remarkably well.  I know you've said this before, but in my fantasies I imagine Blondie having a little set to himself, where he could do songs like Leaving This Town, Funky Pretty, maybe even I Was Made to Love Her, and a bunch of extra songs for Al (Suzie Cincinnati, Airplane, Time to Get Alone).   
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #587 on: September 27, 2017, 12:04:34 PM »

I don't think Al is every going to get a huge showcase within Brian's show.

The best we could hope for is that Al can maybe score a deal to film a night or two of shows with most of Brian's band backing him and present a truly Al-centric setlist. He could do an "Al Jardine & Friends" show and maybe still have Blondie and David Marks drop by for a song or two. But I know there's no way an "Al Jardine" tour could afford Brian's band. But maybe someone could pony up the money to get them on stage for a night or two for a Blu-ray/live album shoot.

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 27, 2017, 11:32:44 PM »

GREAT IDEA.. Have an investor fund  a live show and film it.. Al Jardine and friends..With blondie and david.  And BW tour band.. Heck have BW do a guest shot for a couple of songs at end.. Im sure all us fans would buy it...keep the budget tight also.. And what happened to the Mike and Bruce show filmed for austin city limits or something like that.. We talked about it a few years ago.. Anyone ever seen it on TV ?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: September 28, 2017, 06:37:46 AM »

GREAT IDEA.. Have an investor fund  a live show and film it.. Al Jardine and friends..With blondie and david.  And BW tour band.. Heck have BW do a guest shot for a couple of songs at end.. Im sure all us fans would buy it...keep the budget tight also.. And what happened to the Mike and Bruce show filmed for austin city limits or something like that.. We talked about it a few years ago.. Anyone ever seen it on TV ?

I don't think Mike's band did an "Austin City Limits" TV shoot. They simply played the "ACL Live" venue, which hosts regular gigs as well. Brian also played there last year as I recall (or was it this year?).

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 29, 2017, 07:21:08 AM »

There's a post on Al Jardine's facebook today page about Dennis Dragon.  In it he mentions that they decided to add Suzie Cincinnatti to the set...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 07:52:38 AM by marcella27 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #591 on: September 29, 2017, 07:27:48 AM »

There's a post on Al Jardine's facebook today page about Darryl Dragon.  In it he mentions that they decided to add Suzie Cincinnatti to the set...

Very interesting. I saw Al's post earlier in the day and he hadn't mentioned it. It looks like he went back and added to his post that they were planning to do the song.

It'll be interesting especially if it *actually* makes it into the setlist. It hasn't been performed live by any BB-related band as far as I know since 1977. I think Al was going to do it in the early 2000s for his cancelled Pop Overthrow Festival gig, but that's about it.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 29, 2017, 08:01:26 AM »

There's a post on Al Jardine's facebook today page about Darryl Dragon.  In it he mentions that they decided to add Suzie Cincinnatti to the set...

Very interesting. I saw Al's post earlier in the day and he hadn't mentioned it. It looks like he went back and added to his post that they were planning to do the song.

It'll be interesting especially if it *actually* makes it into the setlist. It hasn't been performed live by any BB-related band as far as I know since 1977. I think Al was going to do it in the early 2000s for his cancelled Pop Overthrow Festival gig, but that's about it.

I hope it does - it's a great song and seems like a natural in a concert setting given its upbeat tempo. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: September 29, 2017, 08:02:52 AM »

I hope it does - it's a great song and seems like a natural in a concert setting given its upbeat tempo. 

It'll be interesting to see if they drop the key a bit. I would guess they would, similar to what they've done with "Cotton Fields" in recent years.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 29, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »

This may seem like an odd question but does anyone know how to contact band members?  We met Darian last week and he was super-nice and took the time to have a real conversation.  At the time I didn't say much because I was a little awed but it would be nice to let him know how much he's appreciated by us fans. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 29, 2017, 08:08:56 PM »

This may seem like an odd question but does anyone know how to contact band members?  We met Darian last week and he was super-nice and took the time to have a real conversation.  At the time I didn't say much because I was a little awed but it would be nice to let him know how much he's appreciated by us fans. 

Most are active on Facebook.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 30, 2017, 04:24:41 AM »

At The Count Basie in Red Bank earlier this week Susie Cincinnati was played briefly during Al's band introduction near the end of the show. It was pretty cool I thought they were actually going to go into it at that point
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 30, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »

Thanks.  Looks like Darian hasn't been active there for a while, though. 
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 30, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »

This may seem like an odd question but does anyone know how to contact band members?  We met Darian last week and he was super-nice and took the time to have a real conversation.  At the time I didn't say much because I was a little awed but it would be nice to let him know how much he's appreciated by us fans.  

Thanks.  Looks like Darian hasn't been active there for a while, though.  

He is. You likely have to be his friend to see it. Send him a request. Many fans are friends of the band members.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 09:48:57 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 30, 2017, 12:40:51 PM »

I was at the show on Saturday at Radio City Music Hall.  I've seen several shows during this tour, the earliest being June 2016 and the most recent being end of April 2017.  I went into the Radio City show with high expectations, just because Brian mentions playing at the venue in the book and I think he sees it as an "important" venue.  I had the sense that he was actually nervous, and he seemed off to me (compared to the AMAZING April 2017 show in Newark, during which he was joking and the whole band seemed to be having a really good time).  The show started off with him shouting for his piano tech, so something wasn't right at the start, and maybe that threw him off?  He didn't do much talking and at one point started to say something, then said "never mind".  It wasn't a bad performance, but he seemed less relaxed than I've seen him on other shows on this tour.  As much as I'd happily pay to see this band every night for the rest of my life, I think Brian needs a break.  The tour has gone on for a long time with relatively short breaks.  It would be hard for anyone, and extra-hard for a 75-year old with physical issues.  I have seen Brian give excellent performances on this tour and I do think he still has it in him, I just hope he gets a good, long, refreshing break and can then go back on tour.

The first set was excellent, and pretty much everything I could ask for (okay, I'd add Do it Again, but that's just me being greedy).  They played Let the Wind Blow, I'd Love Just Once to See You, Aren't You Glad, Darlin, and Wild Honey.  Five Wild Honey songs!  Heaven.  Plus some relatively deeper cuts like Let Him Run Wild and Salt Lake City.  And of course Feel Flows (very nice of Blondie to point out that Carl wrote the song, I thought). 

Having said all that, the audience was relatively quiet.  I had really good seats at the front near the "VIP" section and a third of those people arrived late and wandered in and out with drinks and whatnot.  It was obvious they were not all hardcore fans but rather people for whom it's not a big deal shelling out 250 or 500 dollars for tickets.

Finally, I have to say (again) that Al is unbelievable.  His voice is so strong and good, and after playing for two and a half hours, he ran across the stage waving at the audience as though he was just out for a morning jog.  The word spry comes to mind.  He seemed to be having a lot of fun, and it's a joy to see him interact with Brian. 

Actually, Brian was equally off on the previous night at Boston (and yes, each show had its share of people walking in late, beers  in hand. Sorry, but for my very limited experience, that seems a very American way to behave during a show i.e. coming back late after intermission. Of course, but shows had its share or fans and respecteful people) I remember BW smiling a lot on videos (official or not). Don't how many of those smiles were rehearsed (or specially filmed as inserts for the pro videos), but I remember only half a smile in Boston.

Having said that, I expected Brian to be more tired at Radio City, having playing two nights in a row. But that was not the case. Anyway, the thing he shouted before the beginning that you mention was the same he shouted at Boston when he forgot the ILJOTSY lyrics. Obviously Brian, more than your typical performer, needs everything to be in order when it comes to performing live.

I also noticed the "nevermind" episode. Wish I could have understood what he was trying to say...

One thing I like to add: is very touching the affection band members have for him. Specially little details like Darian (who also manages to quote Rhapsody in Blue at the end of FFF) giving him a massage during one of the encores. I regret not buying Look Listen Vibrate Smile at a record shop I didn't had the chance to come back. I noticed Darian was one of the contributors, but now I read at other thread that Nicky and Probyn also contributed. I think it's hard to measure what dream of a lifetime must be for them to be such an essential part of Brian's music for the last two decades.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx