gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:41:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2017 Tour Thread (Pet Sounds - The Final Performances)  (Read 161336 times)
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 18, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »

Even Keith Richards starts on time these days...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 18, 2017, 08:35:39 PM »

It's not that cut and dry for Brian. I've waited a few minutes for him before. I guess most times are punctual...it's still a close call.

...and not everyone is right on time. I've seen Paul McCartney 13 times and have waited anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes for him to come on beyond the time on the ticket.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 19, 2017, 12:52:43 AM »

Off to Frankfurt now  Rock! Rock! Rock!

Looking forward to rare cuts during soundcheck.  3D

If anyone there wants to look me up, I'm parking in row #6, seat #14.

Let's do this!!
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 19, 2017, 07:30:54 AM »

It's not that cut and dry for Brian. I've waited a few minutes for him before. I guess most times are punctual...it's still a close call.

...and not everyone is right on time. I've seen Paul McCartney 13 times and have waited anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes for him to come on beyond the time on the ticket.

I've seen Paul 7 times (the 8th will be a day before Brian's Boston gig) and I think the more we waited for him were 10-15 minutes. Still, compared with the legendary delays of the Stones' gigs in the 70s it's a bargain.

Were the Beach Boys shows with Brian in the mid-late 70s punctual?
KDS
« Reply #504 on: July 19, 2017, 08:22:54 AM »

I was lucky that Paul was late hitting the stage at Fed Ex Field in Landover in 2009.  I got stuck in traffic for about 4-5 hours from Baltimore to Landover. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 19, 2017, 11:46:11 AM »

I was lucky that Paul was late hitting the stage at Fed Ex Field in Landover in 2009.  I got stuck in traffic for about 4-5 hours from Baltimore to Landover. 

Yeah, everyone took that first exit and it got all backed up...luckily I kept going to the second exit and had no problem! That start time was intentionally delayed because of the serious back up due to FedEx Field's incompetency with clarifying routes to the venue and then parking.
KDS
« Reply #506 on: July 19, 2017, 12:37:37 PM »

Yeah, everyone took that first exit and it got all backed up...luckily I kept going to the second exit and had no problem! That start time was intentionally delayed because of the serious back up due to FedEx Field's incompetency with clarifying routes to the venue and then parking.

That venue is a dumpster fire.  It's been up and running for 20 years, and they can't figure it out.  I think we missed the first four songs.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 19, 2017, 07:07:32 PM »

I've only set foot in two football stadiums and I Was not impressed either time...needles, to say, neither time was for a football game  LOL  The first was Sir Paul at FedEx and the second was Billy Joel at M&T Bank.
KDS
« Reply #508 on: July 19, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »

I've only set foot in two football stadiums and I Was not impressed either time...needles, to say, neither time was for a football game  LOL  The first was Sir Paul at FedEx and the second was Billy Joel at M&T Bank.

Ive never seen a concert at MandT, just Ravens games, for which its a great venue.  I think football stadiums make awful concert venues as a whole.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 26, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »

So Brian played a sold out show in Dublin on Tuesday night and this was by far the best Brian Wilson concert I have ever attended and I've been to 8.

The love for the man was unbelievable. People of all ages at the gig, the music is timeless.

Brian was in great spirits but his back issues are worrying.

They played "Aren't you glad"   Shocked It was amazing.

Two nights prior they played a big show In Galway, Ireland really was good to Brian this summer  Grin

Big love to to band, Al and Blondie of course, Matt got a standing ovation he was really moved.

Anyway, thank you so much Brian and Al for coming back, if this was the last time it was a great way to go out  Smiley

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #510 on: July 26, 2017, 05:02:41 PM »

Shady that’s awesome to hear. Sounds like a fantastic time. I hope to make it to one more of the Pet Sounds shows.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »

According to setlist.fm, Tuesday's Dublin show not only brought back "Aren't You Glad", but also re-introduced "I'd Love Just Once To See You" to the setlist, for the first time since Brian's hand full of performance of the song in 2007/08:

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/brian-wilson/2017/bord-gais-energy-theatre-dublin-ireland-3be58434.html
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:23:02 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2017, 10:23:30 AM »

Updated some recent setlists on the top post, including a show in France that wasn't even on the schedule but appears at setlist.fm.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #513 on: August 01, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »

Looks like "Let the Wind Blow" popped up at the 7/28 show, which is I believe the first live performance of the song by Brian, and the first live performance by a Beach Boy since the 1973 BB tour. So they got it up to four WH songs for the 7/28 show.

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 01, 2017, 03:06:29 PM »

Looks like "Let the Wind Blow" popped up at the 7/28 show, which is I believe the first live performance of the song by Brian, and the first live performance by a Beach Boy since the 1973 BB tour. So they got it up to four WH songs for the 7/28 show.

Five, counting Blondie's Wild Honey.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #515 on: August 02, 2017, 10:06:11 AM »

Five, counting Blondie's Wild Honey.

Ahhh, counting "Darlin'" when that's performed, if they do all of those other tracks, it is indeed five.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #516 on: August 02, 2017, 10:08:00 AM »

I guess conversation and interest just dropped off since Brian's in Europe, but I was surprised to learn that recently Al started handling the lead vocal on "Here Today." Sounds quite good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCOCJDs9qcg

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #517 on: August 02, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »

People who subscribe to Brian's Facebook page have been seeing videos from various performances, including the Liverpool show where the fans were all singing along to God Only Knows which created one helluva moving and triumphant concert moment, even on video.

By the accounts I've read, fan reviews and otherwise, the UK shows have been hitting on all cylinders and fans have been loving it.

I'll reserve any further commentary so as to not ruffle any feathers, but so much for the experts and historians who have a habit of slagging off on the whole enterprise whenever Brian plays shows in the UK...the actual fans hath spoken.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #518 on: August 02, 2017, 10:50:32 AM »

I guess conversation and interest just dropped off since Brian's in Europe, but I was surprised to learn that recently Al started handling the lead vocal on "Here Today." Sounds quite good:

That was really cool to see, thanks for sharing it.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #519 on: August 03, 2017, 10:44:11 AM »

Couple notes on the Apollo show from London on the first of August. Brian sounded AMAZING on Surfer Girl. The best vocals from him doing that in a long time I think. Very soulful and different.  They played a bunch of rarities including Salt lake city, let the wind blow, aren't you glad and i'd love just once to see you. Brian sounded amazing on all of those and was really into it. Blondie did an amazing version of Feel Flows. There was at least 3 videocameras filming, I saw 2 dslr cameras and one big one that was moving all the time shooting the band and audience too. It was recorded. They also had a sound dude with progear recording the audience. Anybody heard anything about what's the deal with that? Pet Sounds was the usual, Brian seems to be bored woth it but the band saves it. Really good show. And the supporting act was great too, just can't remember their name at the moment. I met Darian, Bob and Paul after the show but very quickly. Al was in a real hurry for the bus. Somebody wanted to take a pic with him but he didn't stop Grin
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #520 on: August 03, 2017, 12:24:15 PM »

And handled it extremely well like I knew he always could. The first time I listened to PS, I knew Al could handily out perform myKe luHv on this and many others as well. Great job, Al. 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #521 on: August 03, 2017, 08:15:00 PM »

If these Wild Honey cuts stick around for the shows back in the states this fall, I just may have to find a way up to my favorite oldies venue this side of the Mississippi...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #522 on: August 03, 2017, 08:21:03 PM »

That being said, I find it pretty hilarious that the 50th Anniversary tour of Pet Sounds that already had an ironic existence in it's 51st year, is now taking five songs out of the show to focus on an ACTUAL golden anniversary for Wild Honey. Judging by the clips and Brian's apparent boredom with the PS set at times...why not switch the records out? The fans that don't know the Wild Honey deep cuts are probably the same people that don't know the Pet Sounds deep cuts and the people (all of us) that love hearing Pet Sounds in its entirety would probably love hearing Wild Honey in its entirety! Blondie could stay on stage for the whole set as he could be greatly utilized and this band has a great potential for giving more energy to the original arrangements on the album that are maybe a little too simplistic for the live stage.
KDS
« Reply #523 on: August 04, 2017, 05:09:12 AM »

That being said, I find it pretty hilarious that the 50th Anniversary tour of Pet Sounds that already had an ironic existence in it's 51st year, is now taking five songs out of the show to focus on an ACTUAL golden anniversary for Wild Honey. Judging by the clips and Brian's apparent boredom with the PS set at times...why not switch the records out? The fans that don't know the Wild Honey deep cuts are probably the same people that don't know the Pet Sounds deep cuts and the people (all of us) that love hearing Pet Sounds in its entirety would probably love hearing Wild Honey in its entirety! Blondie could stay on stage for the whole set as he could be greatly utilized and this band has a great potential for giving more energy to the original arrangements on the album that are maybe a little too simplistic for the live stage.

Heck, Wild Honey is short enough that they could drop some of the car songs in the first set and easily do the whole album. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #524 on: August 04, 2017, 06:40:06 AM »

In terms of why Brian *right now* couldn't replace PS with something else, it would be because all of the 2017 shows are being advertised/billed as "Pet Sounds" shows. A band usually doesn't warranty what specific songs will be played at a show, but in this case they are warrantying that the full PS album will be played.

As far as why they booked another PS tour, I'm sure it's because a PS-themed shows gets more bookings and offers, etc. And the 2017 dates seem to be rooted in cities/venues/regions that either didn't get a show in 2016 or had enough demand for additional shows in 2016 that couldn't be accommodated last year.

But I would imagine 2017 is it for "Pet Sounds." They have three symphonic shows booked for May of next year, and those shows aren't (as of now anyway) being advertised as PS shows.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx